Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Scored a great ticket, front row

Scored a great ticket, front row

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

CONGRATS,

Never had front row seats, although back in the mid-70's I attended a concert (@ the Long Beach Arena) featuring Wishbone Ash, Camel and Kiss (in that order, it might have been Kiss's first major tour, before they got big) and there must have been some family or industry types that were basically seating 2nd Row center - who LEFT after Kiss and we moved up and took their seats for Camel and Wishbone Ash...!
    Last edited by Mythos; 04-05-2020 at 01:51 AM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Good seats still available, and if I behave myself waitress service may be available (might have to do the ironing though)
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

... We're two weeks ahead in confinement in Europe, and I hadn't seen that cracker up so far.

Quote Originally Posted by Mythos View Post
    CONGRATS,
    Never had front row seats, although back in the mid-70's I attended a concert (@ the Long Beach Area) featuring Wishbone Ash, Camel and Kiss (in that order, it might have been Kiss's first major tour, before they got big) and there must have been some family or industry types that were basically seating 2nd Row center - who LEFT after Kiss and we moved up and took their seats for Camel and Wisbone Ash...!

I had only once "front row seating on the floor" tickets only once, but have had quite a few occasions to set my elbows and forearms onto the stage, generally when the crowd decides to forget about sitting (Thorogood, J Winter, SR Vaughan, Violent Femmes, etc...).
    The old Massey Hall in Toronto was one of my fave places to see concerts, because I'd be one of the first two rush to the front of the stage, but also had many a seating in the dead center of the first balcony. Not to mention that they had superb ticket stubs.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Not a fan of the headliner, but let us know how the support band is.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

I've only had front-row seats once - for Uriah Heep. They were so loud I had severe pain in my ears, so moved to standing room at the back!
    We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    ... We're two weeks ahead in confinement in Europe, and I hadn't seen that cracker up so far.

I had only once "front row seating on the floor" tickets only once, but have had quite a few occasions to set my elbows and forearms onto the stage, generally when the crowd decides to forget about sitting (Thorogood, J Winter, SR Vaughan, Violent Femmes, etc...).
    The old Massey Hall in Toronto was one of my fave places to see concerts, because I'd be one of the first two rush to the front of the stage, but also had many a seating in the dead center of the first balcony. Not to mention that they had superb ticket stubs.
    A lot of the shows we saw mid 70's in our area it was basically general admission.. if you wanted to go down on the floor and wander up to the stage you were free to do so.. we tended to get center just off the floor (high enough to see over everyone's heads).

Quote Originally Posted by happytheman View Post
    A lot of the shows we saw mid 70's in our area it was basically general admission.. if you wanted to go down on the floor and wander up to the stage you were free to do so.. we tended to get center just off the floor (high enough to see over everyone's heads).
    That was true for stadium shows in our neck of the woods, but often hockey arenas and normal music halls had seating on the floor.
    Not even sure places like Massey Hall had removable seats. They were bolted to the floor.

I spend a couple of shows at the Montreal Forum or MLG where I had floor-seating tickets past the 20th row and I standing up on my chair to see something (Tull in the Under Wraps tour, for ex) because some dudes at the back of the floor had stormed the stage and couldn't be removed. This meant that the people in the front rows stood up as well and the people behind them had to climb on their seats to see something.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Enjoy those Ticketbastard fees!

P.S.

I've had front row SEATS for:

Fela Kuti x 2
    Magma x 1
    Astor Piazolla x 1
    Univers Zero x 1
    Last edited by Steve F.; 03-30-2020 at 12:54 PM.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Banned
    The only front seat ticket I ever had was for Gentle Giant in '77 and only then because I stood right in front of the stage for the whole thing with a couple dozen other foaming-at-the-mouth fanatics.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    The only front seat ticket I ever had was for Gentle Giant in '77 and only then because I stood right in front of the stage for the whole thing with a couple dozen other foaming-at-the-mouth fanatics.
    Was that the show with Doctor Feelgood opening at the (can't remember the venue name in DC) ??
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

Banned
    ^^^ Indeed it was at the defunct Louie's Rock City in Bailey's Crossroads, Va. That night is indelibly etched in my mind. I still feel bad about joining the small mob that was shouting down Dr. Feelgood, I never do that (but I was just a dumb kid then).

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post

Fela Kuti x 2
    Magma x 1
    Astor Piazolla x 1
    Univers Zero x 1
    I once had front row at a Jethro Tull concert, which turned out to be all the way to the left, with a bass bin right in front of me. Every time the kick drum hit I got a puff of air in the face. Fortunately I was able to get some earplugs before showtime.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

P.S.

Fela Kuti x 2
    Magma x 1
    Astor Piazolla x 1
    Univers Zero x 1
    I'm sure you could've sat in the front row at almost every concert of every RIO Fest you've ever attended

Quote Originally Posted by Mister Triscuits View Post
    I once had front row at a Jethro Tull concert, which turned out to be all the way to the left, with a bass bin right in front of me. Every time the kick drum hit I got a puff of air in the face. Fortunately I was able to get some earplugs before showtime.
    Should that ever happen, I'd go back a few rows.

^^^ Indeed it was at the defunct Louie's Rock City in Bailey's Crossroads, Va. That night is indelibly etched in my mind. I still feel bad about joining the small mob that was shouting down Dr. Feelgood, I never do that (but I was just a dumb kid then).
    I have the show in my log as 1978: 11/3/1978

is this wrong?
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    I'm sure you could've sat in the front row at almost every concert of every RIO Fest you've ever attended
    Except none of those shows I listed were at the RIO fest.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Banned
    I have the show in my log as 1978: 11/3/1978

is this wrong?
    Yes, I'm pretty sure it was '77 because I was still 17 and thus under age (the drinking age was still 18 back then) and I had to sneak in

I think it was 11/10/77
    https://www.setlist.fm/setlist/gentl...-53da239d.html

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    I was in the front row at PoiL all standing gig at RIO last year, had to elbow a persistent drunk out of the way several times who apparently thought he should have my spot right in front of the keyboard player. I was right in front of the bass bins at a Motorhead concert in Newcastle in the 80's. Man that was loud, it was thumping my chest.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Yes, I'm pretty sure it was '77 because I was still 17 and thus under age (the drinking age was still 18 back then) and I had to sneak in

I think it was 11/10/77
    I feel certain you are correct and thanks for helping me to fix my concert log!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Man that was loud, it was thumping my chest.
    The loudest show I ever saw was The Reverb Motherfuckers at DC Space (little place). I had wadded up napkins in my ears and my fingers pushing against the cotton and I still only lasted 2 songs before I left.

The kick drum was thumping my chest!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

Banned
    I feel certain you are correct and thanks for helping me to fix my concert log!
    Yer welcome - that must be one hell of a log!

The loudest show I ever saw was The Reverb Motherfuckers at DC Space (little place). I had wadded up napkins in my ears and my fingers pushing against the cotton and I still only lasted 2 songs before I left.

The kick drum was thumping my chest!
    You owe yourself some Sunn O)))
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I saw Boredoms, an experimental Japanese band, play at the Barbican in London a few years ago. The amplified band was surrounded by 88 cymbal players, and the noise they made was awesome (literally). The ushers were giving out ear plugs as everyone went in, but I chose not to use them and was deaf for a hours after. The clip is interesting but does not capture the sheer volume of the performance.

We walked arm in arm with madness, and every little breeze whispered of the secret love we had for our disease