Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scored a great ticket, front row

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I was in the front row at PoiL all standing gig at RIO last year, had to elbow a persistent drunk out of the way several times who apparently thought he should have my spot right in front of the keyboard player. I was right in front of the bass bins at a Motorhead concert in Newcastle in the 80's. Man that was loud, it was thumping my chest.
    Being upfront is not necessarily a fun experience if you're standing, especially at big concerts or festival. There is a constant pressure, generally without a drink (either finished or spilled from bumps), confronted to body heat and some people can faint .

But in many cases this goes fine if there are some big MoFo like you or me up front to push backwards - at least oppose some kind of resistance.

I've had Thorogood and SR Vaughan fly-drop sweat-gauntlets over me, and that's not necessarily the greatest souvenirs one could go for.
    Last edited by Trane; 04-03-2020 at 04:44 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Banned
    I was actually up front at a Kraftwerk concert (1981 Computerworld tour) directly in front of a huge speaker stack at extreme stage right and my ears were ringing at least until the next day. Strange that probably the worst sonic assault I experienced came from the likes of Kraftwerk, but there you go.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    I was actually up front at a Kraftwerk concert (1981 Computerworld tour) directly in front of a huge speaker stack at extreme stage right and my ears were ringing at least until the next day. Strange that probably the worst sonic assault I experienced came from the likes of Kraftwerk, but there you go.
    I saw Kraftwerk on that tour, and it was very loud. I was impressed with the quality of the sound, it was crystal clear.
    One of the better sounding shows I have seen.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    You owe yourself some Sunn O)))
    Ain't that the truth.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Banned
    I saw Kraftwerk on that tour, and it was very loud. I was impressed with the quality of the sound, it was crystal clear.
    One of the better sounding shows I have seen.
    Yes I recall the sound was amazing. Warner Theater? Do you recall strangely dressed freaks dancing in front of the speaker stack on stage right by any chance?

I sat front row at the Yes Union tour, revolving stage and all.
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Yes I recall the sound was amazing. Warner Theater? Do you recall strangely dressed freaks dancing in front of the speaker stack on stage right by any chance?
    Yes, Warner. No freaks recollected. I was halfway back on the left.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Front Row twice I think; Styx Manchester 2005, Kansas London 2014 - aside from smaller gigs when it's just been me and the dog..

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I have same ticket but will spend the entire show seated, "piss off Mr. Wilson!"

I just hope those around me can shut up, pay attention and listen (not likely)

hmmm...well, certainly plenty of small clubs where there were only a dozen people, but not counting those:

peter gabriel, 3 times (tho once was way off to the side...barely should count)
    mike oldfield
    thomas dolby, 2 times
    philip glass

i'm sure there are more...

I was very fortunate to have front row seats to:

- VDGG's New York show after NEARFest (for the life of me, I can't remember the venue.
    - Porcupine Tree's Radio City Music Hall show
    - One of Trans-Siberian Orchestra's first shows at the Beacon Theater in NYC
    "It's such a fine line between stupid and... clever" -- David St. Hubbins & Derek Smalls, Spinal Tap

I really don't like front row seats. Especially center.
    1. I often do not share the same intensity of interest that others in the front row have for the act. I like the music, the music is not my reason for being.
    2. If the performer is 'right there', I feel awkward with the energy they give off.
    3. The sound is usually better a few rows back .

Don't get me wrong, the sightlines are usually awesome. Seeing some performers up close is a dream come true.
    I just don't like the feeling that they are performing to/for Me.
    Probably just my spot on the spectrum .
    -- Aristotle

2. If the performer is 'right there', I feel awkward with the energy they give off.
    I'm all about the energy coming off the stage. That's what it is about for me. Peter Hammill called me an 'energy vampire'.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    I'm all about the energy coming off the stage. That's what it is about for me. Peter Hammill called me an 'energy vampire'.
    Yeah, it's just that some seem to be having a seizure or orgasm for an hour, and that goes a long way ( for me ).
    Plus, looking up Robert Plants ( or pretty much anyone's ) nose for 90 minutes ....errr.
    -- Aristotle

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Front row seats are unfortunately, for me anyway, often occupied by attention whores. I want to be able to catch everything going on-stage and don't need my presence be acknowledged by the band.

It's certainly harder than it once was to get front row seats. Nowadays it's $500+ per and your left testicle.

Neil Young & Crazy Horse, Pine Knob (1978)
    Peter Gabriel, Hill Auditorium (1982)
    Santana, Pink Knob (1983)
    Stevie Ray Vaughan, Royal Oak Music Theater (1986)
    Jethro Tull/Fairport Convention, Cobo Hall (1987)
    Stevie Wonder, the Fox Detroit, orchestra pit (1988)
    Pink Floyd, Pontiac Silverdome (1994)
    Page & Plant, Palace of Auburn Hills (1995)
    Simon & Garfunkel, Palace of Auburn Hills (2003)
    Robin Trower, Royal Oak Music Theater (2014)
    Rodrigo y Gabriela, Royal Oak Music Theater (2015)
    Experience Jimi Hendrix, The Fox Detroit (2017)
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    It's certainly harder than it once was to get front row seats. Nowadays it's $500+ per and your left testicle.
    How many left testicles do you have? Presumably they're not all yours.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

How many left testicles do you have? Presumably they're not all yours.
    I believe I was implying that I no longer buy front row seats. I've grown quite attached to my left testicle.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

What's really bothersome/annoying is that generally those seats remain often totally empty. They're corporate tickets given away and hardly anyone shows (since they didn't have to shell out dough for them)
    By the half of the show (that's 2/3 if there is an opening act), it's clear that they won't be showing up, so with a few dudes we invade them seats and stewarts and security people allow us to do so (they generally disappear from view and that a cue and clue)

I believe I was implying that I no longer buy front row seats. I've grown quite attached to my left testicle.
    Not that we really want to hear about it, but shouldn't your right one be enough? Unless you already gave that one up...
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

That's a good point - back in the day, if you were sat in the first few rows you would be surrounded by fellow (genuine) fans who had joined the very early morning queue with you (often in the cold wind and rain (Manchester UK)) to get the tickets.

They were happy times - I very rarely do large seated gigs these days - I'm happy let the well off buy the $500 tickets if they are so inclined (and equally happy to keep everything intact..)

I was right in front of the bass bins at a Motorhead concert in Newcastle in the 80's. Man that was loud, it was thumping my chest.
    Heh.The first gig I ever went to was Mötörhead at Bradford St. George's Hall in (I think) 1985. We were at the back on a balcony but it was still so loud that I couldn't hear properly for two days, and could feel the bass in my torso. I think their PA was really set up for rather larger venues!
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Alas no testicles, so no front seats I suppose.

Not sure if I had a front row seat, but it could have been possible with my first Kayak concert and Eela Craig, where the attendance was something around 20 people.