Thread: Analyzing Studio Recordings

Analyzing Studio Recordings

I was just wondering if anyone has an interest in studio techniques and breaking down recordings. White Room by Cream is one I was listening to and wondering how they got that particular sound on the intro.
    Wild Vines Music

Still trying to identify this music (updated link):
    Unknown Track

That is a reason why I like to watch episodes of the Classic Album Series. It might give me ideas.

Rick Beato's "What makes this song great" on youtube is also extremely informative

Thanks for the responses. I'm also a Beato fan, I call him the James Bond of music. He's very good at peeling back the layers of studio recordings. Another thing that is interesting to me is that a great recording is not so much when it was recorded, but how it was recorded and mixed.

Having Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce all in a room with a few mics is a really good start on how to get great sounds recorded. I'm curious, just what part of the White Room sound are you referring to?

Tympani's?
    Claptons great bends and riffs?
    something else I'm not hearing?

Breaking down and trying to recreate sound-very-much-a-like versions of songs is a great way to learn and develop your skills as a musician/engineer/producer. i've done that with many favourites through the years, like Pink Floyd, Led Zep and Rush.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Having Eric Clapton, Ginger Baker and Jack Bruce all in a room with a few mics is a really good start on how to get great sounds recorded.
    Very much like that - the sound is in the hand of the performer (at least up to the 90s or so), but it's still fun and rewarding to be able to mimic the atmosphere.

Quote Originally Posted by CarvinAbuser View Post
    White Room by Cream is one I was listening to and wondering how they got that particular sound on the intro.
    Do you refer to the symphonic vocals/viola/guitar mix?
    Last edited by hFx; 03-29-2020 at 05:22 AM.
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

It's the intro or main theme of the song. It sounds like layered guitar feedback and almost has a vocal quality.

Quote Originally Posted by CarvinAbuser View Post
    It's the intro or main theme of the song. It sounds like layered guitar feedback and almost has a vocal quality.
    The intro is mixed voices, guitar and viola, AFAIK.
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

Thanks hFx, that makes sense... clever production.
    Wild Vines Music

Still trying to identify this music (updated link):
    Unknown Track

Here's another one. Trying to figure out the sound that comes in at 9 seconds.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL4MGwlZuAc

Anyone know what's being used at 2:12 in this one?

Maybe real explosion type sound effects and a synthesizer?