Thread: Ladies and Gentlemen, introducing......in a parallel universe near you...

Ladies and Gentlemen, introducing......in a parallel universe near you...

In an attempt to lighten the mood a little, here's a frivolous game for the new "stay at home" generation:

While the usually active touring bands are anything but, I thought it would be interesting to attempt to put together a fantasy list of shows that we may well like to see.

The rules are simple:

Name any living artist/band who you would like to see on tour who could realistically play a full 2 hour show comprised only of back-catalogue songs that have never been played live in front of a paying audience before.

I'll give some examples:

Anthony Phillips - never toured (for well-documented reasons) but with a huge studio catalogue from which to select an impressive setlist.

Tony Banks - never played a solo show and, again, a massive repertoire of solo/collaborative material to choose from (could even play Mad Man Moon or A Trick of the Tail)

Big Big Train - late-comers to the stage, so could easily put together an impressive 2-hour show from their back catalogue without including the songs that they have played previously.

Feel free to play along. Enjoy.

Banned
    How about Gentle Giant and VDGG (with Jaxon) and Henry Cow. I may have broken the rules with Cow regarding the back catalog, but if they run out of material they can improvise which was a key to the live band anyway.

I hoped that the thread would put emphasis on those artists who have a large back catalogue of un-played material - enough for a two hour show that fans would want to pay to see.
    I'm not sure that GG or VDGG have such a list of un-played songs - However, I really don't know so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    Improvisation is cheating in this case - I wouldn't expect queues at the box office if Genesis were advertising their intention to play a 2-hour re-interpretation of Pigeons on their upcoming tour!

I think we have to open this up slightly to include solo or bands that very rarely play live.
    I would love to see Paul Buchanan and the Blue Nile do some live performances.
    We had tickets to see them in Pontiac, Mi but the show was cancelled.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

The Who have a lot of studio material they never played live. For example, only about four songs off By Numbers and just about anything after it have ever been played live; they were too invested in "playing the hits". For earlier material, several songs each off Odds and Sods, Happy Jack/A Quick One and The Who Sell Out qualify - plus various singles and b-sides. I'd love to see live versions of "Rael", "Now I'm a Farmer" and "Dogs", "Wasp Man" -- well, I guess Moon is irreplaceable on that one -- "Doctor Doctor" and many others.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by r2daft2 View Post
    I'm not sure that GG or VDGG have such a list of un-played songs - However, I really don't know so feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    Mabye in the case of VDGG, but there's Childlike Faith in Childhood's end and a lot of stuff off of H to He for starters that seems to be was never played live or rarely AFIK, but I may be mistaken. I no longer recall all the old old setlists and bootlegs I have dispensed with.

For GG I think you could definitely find more then enough unplayed material for a nice long concert. Their basic sets did not dramatically change at least over the last years of their career in terms of what was played from the back catalog it seems to me. But I'm too lazy to look back and try to enumerate them.

I'm sure I could come up with a 2-hour set list of never-played Jethro Tull nuggets (starting with the epic "Baker Street Muse"), but I wouldn't want to hear the present-day Ian Anderson singing them.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

The eons are closing
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I think we have to open this up slightly to include solo or bands that very rarely play live.
    I would love to see Paul Buchanan and the Blue Nile do some live performances.
    We had tickets to see them in Pontiac, Mi but the show was cancelled.
    XTC
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Alan Parsons Project was created as a studio project. They only recently began touring.
    Steely Dan toured a little, but not nearly as much as other "band" bands. They too began touring more in recent years. It's no longer possible to make a living mainly or exclusively by selling albums, like it once was. Even ANT recently had to resort to playing live.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama