Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: FEATURED CD: Anyone's Daughter - Adonis

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    OK, I understand your wondering here... I didn't say it was neo, per se... but there is no doubt in my mind that this type of ultra-symphonic late-70's albums (thinking also of Novalis as well) were certainly part of the canvas on which K neo-prog bands built upôn... I mean Fish and Co. didn't suddendly pop-up with neo-prog... it had to come from somewhere... and to moi, it seems to flow naturally from albums like this one, Sommeabend or Neuschwanstein's sole effort
    I think you're right that this is the type of stuff that bridged the gap between the classic 70s period and the 80s Neo scene. I think a large difference between these bands and the early Neo ones is instrumentation. Something like Sommerabend, while definitely leading in a simpler direction, is absolutely drenched with analogue organ and synths, and has that 'classic' feel.

Quote Originally Posted by Pr33t View Post
    I think a large difference between these bands and the early Neo ones is instrumentation. Something like Sommerabend, while definitely leading in a simpler direction, is absolutely drenched with analogue organ and synths, and has that 'classic' feel.
    That's exactly what I define as "second wave of german prog". Very different from anything neo.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Some countries like Germany were interesting that a late 70's/early 80's prog scene could exist, whereas in other countries like the US those bands would not have been signed.

Quote Originally Posted by spacefreak View Post
    That's exactly what I define as "second wave of german prog". Very different from anything neo.
    For what it's worth i only hear that Neo-Prog vibe in Adonis by ANYONE's DAUGHTER. I'm missing it completely with NOVALIS or NEUSCHWANSTEIN. So for me it's very, very to hear that flavour before the eighties.
    "The wind is slowly tearing her apart"
    Sad Rain
    Anekdoten

Well Saga had a prog/pop combination going well before any "neoprog" scene developed, but their sound isn't very similar to the UK early 80s Genesis inspired bands.

I don't think Anyone's Daughter is a precursor of neo.
    I don't get the neo-prog thing at all from Anyone's Daughter, either. It sure sounds like classic period symph-prog to me.
    I don't even see them as an 'announcer' or 'precursor'.

but there is no doubt in my mind that this type of ultra-symphonic late-70's albums (thinking also of Novalis as well) were certainly part of the canvas on which K neo-prog bands built upôn... I mean Fish and Co. didn't suddendly pop-up with neo-prog... it had to come from somewhere
    Somehow I don't think that a bunch of Genesis idolizing teens growing up in England were much influenced by the 'canvas' of some pretty obscure German bands. It is pretty obvious to me that they were influenced by Genesis, Pink Floyd, Yes, and all the rest of their fellow Brits. And probably the 80's New Wave scene didn't go unnoticed to them, either.

Of course Fish and Co. did not suddenly pop-up with neo-prog. They took their early influences, and streamlined them into an attempt to be more accessible.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

one of the best from any era IMO. I agree that it's a stretch to say that Marillion was significantly influenced by them but it is quite correct to say that AD got "there" first. ONly I find even their most poppy disks (not counting their ill advised 2000's reunion) to be more interesting than 90% of neo. ADONIS may well be their best and of most interest to prog traditionalists, but I find much to enjoy in all 4 studio albums from 1979-1983. The last one "Neu Sterne" is really more crossover than neo.
    But I came here hoping to find more talk about the 2 bonus live cuts. Both unreleased until this latest issue, and with no prior studio version, they easily elevate this to the most noteworthy AD "studio" release. They are SYMPHONIC prog with a capital S. I find it incredible that they remained in the vaults so long and never even appeared on the "Requested Document" Live albums released in the CD era. Comments, please?

Quote Originally Posted by kenethlevine View Post
    Comments, please?
    Hi Ken!!!
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Bonjour monsieur trane

Welcome aboard

*** add the HUG PA smiley here ***
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I'd like to pick up their discs. What are the best versions to look for? Has Esoteric remastered these?

Quote Originally Posted by itserik View Post
    I'd like to pick up their discs. What are the best versions to look for? Has Esoteric remastered these?
    No, according to the CD's, they were remastered by Matthias Ulmer.

Quote Originally Posted by itserik View Post
    The older versions on WMMS and Intercord are FAR better than the more recent remasters I've heard, but I haven't heard them all.

To close the book on the cover situation (so to speak), here's a link to my original review where I discuss which is which: http://unencumberedmusicreviews.blog...9-germany.html

As for the neo reference, my comment specifically stated "anticipated" the movement, not necessarily personified it. And for those of us who were buying from UK mail order catalogs in the early 80s (and MoeCurly can validate this too), Anyone's Daughter were a band that was prominently featured in all of them. I absolutely believe that some of the bands coming out of the original NWOBPR movement (Marillion, Pallas, Haze, IQ, Twelfth Night, etc...) had a better than average chance of knowing who Anyone's Daughter were.

Quote Originally Posted by ashratom View Post
    To close the book on the cover situation (so to speak), here's a link to my original review where I discuss which is which: http://unencumberedmusicreviews.blog...9-germany.html

As for the neo reference, my comment specifically stated "anticipated" the movement, not necessarily personified it. And for those of us who were buying from UK mail order catalogs in the early 80s (and MoeCurly can validate this too), Anyone's Daughter were a band that was prominently featured in all of them. I absolutely believe that some of the bands coming out of the original NWOBPR movement (Marillion, Pallas, Haze, IQ, Twelfth Night, etc...) had a better than average chance of knowing who Anyone's Daughter were.
    thanks for that insight. I'm glad they were getting some attention somewhere besides their native land, where they did sell a fair bit. I only discovered them in 2003, which means 25 years later than I should have

ADONIS may well be their best and of most interest to prog traditionalists, but I find much to enjoy in all 4 studio albums from 1979-1983. The last one "Neu Sterne" is really more crossover than neo.
    Certainly Neue Sterne seems to mould their sound further towards the mainstream pop of the day, but I think they had it easier than many others, as they always had a strong, catchy melodic bent and they were already working heavily with short-song format on Anyone's Daughter. Actually, from the lyrical point of view, the title track and "Der Plan" almost seem like ironic commentary on a need to stay fashionable and topical, which you might take as a bit of gentle self-flagellation. But whatever their motivations were with Neue Sterne, they did a good job, as far as I'm concerned.

But I came here hoping to find more talk about the 2 bonus live cuts. Both unreleased until this latest issue, and with no prior studio version, they easily elevate this to the most noteworthy AD "studio" release. They are SYMPHONIC prog with a capital S. I find it incredible that they remained in the vaults so long and never even appeared on the "Requested Document" Live albums released in the CD era. Comments, please?
    Well, as I said earlier, I don't think they hold candle to Adonis, at least not in the form we got to hear them. I'm still glad that they released them.
    Last edited by Kai; 04-02-2013 at 05:04 AM.

Im not a "neo" fan and could care less about that. However, I enjoy this album quite a bit, and keep it quite handy for playing, at least once every couple of months, cuz I enjoy its mix of moody atmospheres and production quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    Certainly Neue Sterne seems to mould their sound further towards the mainstream pop of the day, but I think they had it easier than many others, as they always had a strong, catchy melodic bent and they were already working heavily with short-song format on Anyone's Daughter. Actually, from the lyrical point of view, the title track and "Der Plan" almost seem like ironic commentary on a need to stay fashionable and topical, which you might take as a bit of gentle self-flagellation. But whatever their motivations were with Neue Sterne, they did a good job, as far as I'm concerned.

Well, as I said earlier, I don't think they hold candle to Adonis, at least not in the form we got to hear them. I'm still glad that they released them.
    Oh I somehow missed that, sorry. I agree about neu sterne. I actually think that some of the Neu Sterne material sounded best on their album simply called "Live". Ditto for the first part of Adonis, but I'm probably in the minority there, and it might have to do with becoming a fan based on that live album and hearing it first.
    I didn't want to spend the money on yet another remaster so I paid for and downloaded the two Adonis bonus cuts on amazon...such a deal. I find them quite stunning, but I agree they can't match Adonis for me. However, I think some here might be quite surprised by the quality and apparent commitment to symphonic prog at that late date

I actually think that some of the Neu Sterne material sounded best on their album simply called "Live". Ditto for the first part of Adonis, but I'm probably in the minority there, and it might have to do with becoming a fan based on that live album and hearing it first.
    Live was my introduction to Neue Sterne material, and I agree that a song like "Viel zuviel" packs more punch there. I suppose I have to splash out for the remaster with all the 16 original tracks and bonus tracks, as I only have the truncated original CD release.

online from time to time Czyszy's Avatar
    Has anybody here noticed the lyrics to the title suite are strangely similar to the poem Adonais by Percy B. Shelley?
    https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poe...-of-john-keats
    NG ~ BC ~ PA

Quote Originally Posted by Czyszy View Post
    Has anybody here noticed the lyrics to the title suite are strangely similar to the poem Adonais by Percy B. Shelley?
    https://www.poetryfoundation.org/poe...-of-john-keats
    I can't say I see much simularity, exept perhaps for the subject, which is based on the divine figure Adonis from Greek and Roman mythology.

I can't say I see much simularity
    Really? Some parts are lifted directly from the poem ;P
    NG ~ BC ~ PA

Really? Some parts are lifted directly from the poem ;P
    I'm not sure, but I looked at it with the lyrics at hand and I didn't see any simularity, unless the lyrics in the booklet aren't the lyrics that are sung.

Here are some examples underlined in red.
    NG ~ BC ~ PA

Here are some examples underlined in red.
    Thanks, I see them. The lyrics were written by a friend of Uwe Karpa. I suppose he draw some inspiration from the poem. They had some interest in literature, look also at Piktor's Verwandlungen.