Thread: New Live Soft Machine Album

New Live Soft Machine Album

Anyone hear the above?

I got an announcement a while back that the show ( Orion Studio )that I saw would become available as a download.
    Have not heard anything since.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    I got an announcement a while back that the show ( Orion Studio )that I saw would become available as a download.
    I was at that great show....you may have heard my wife tell John Marshall " you were great...better than Ringo Starr" Oh well.

The new album was recorded at the Baked Potato in LA.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Vinyl: https://www.softmachine.org/news

Other formats, "who knows".

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    I think that was the Nektar show.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I think that was the Nektar show.
    You are right, my bad. Same promoter.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

^^^ "coloured vinyl only release"

Great album cover though. Might be worth owning just for that!

SM should also consider releasing their Iridium show that has been up on Youtube since the livestream. They were really "on" that night, and Marshall in particular (after he had a few tunes to warm up).

Only 200 copies, that's what I would call a VERY LIMITED edition.

"The double album contains twelve tracks across three side with a specially etched side four."

I'm curious: what's on the "specially etched" 4th side ? A groove-less picture disc ? A blank side to check/adjust your turntable ? Don't they have enough material to fill a double LP ?

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Krautman View Post
    Only 200 copies, that's what I would call a VERY LIMITED edition.

"The double album contains twelve tracks across three side with a specially etched side four."

I'm curious: what's on the "specially etched" 4th side ? A groove-less picture disc ? A blank side to check/adjust your turntable ? Don't they have enough material to fill a double LP ?
    Their set a few months earlier at the Iridium ran about 75 minutes. That's not too much shorter than Third.

Quote Originally Posted by interbellum View Post
    Some news about this shop:

Folks,

Music is a good healer, certainly when staying at home. We are working on some beautiful releases for the second half of 2020.
    Meanwhile, we would like to reach out by offering a discount of 20% on orders for ALL of the available items from our stock. The discount will automatically be calculated - no need to add a coupon or stuff like that.

Please note that we have removed the overseas shipping option with no tracking and we (and you) want to keep track on orders.

Our store can be reached here directly: https://1185600.mijnwinkel.nl/
    This offer ends April 30.

Stay safe!
    Charles

June 3: CD out on Moonjune! Nice to know I won't have to spend 50 bucks on the vinyl.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    June 3: CD out on Moonjune! Nice to know I won't have to spend 50 bucks on the vinyl.
    MoonJune usually put the releases up on Bandcamp too, so I'll look out for that.
    I was hoping for a non-vinyl release, so thank you for the notice.

https://softmachine-moonjune.bandcam...e-baked-potato
    Soft Machine Live at the Baked Potato available here.
    I've just downloaded it.

I just ordered the CD. I enjoyed the show at Freight and Salvage in Berkeley.

Whoa- just played a sample- that is very high quality and smoking!
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Just received and listened to the Baked Potato download. All I can say is wow! The guys are really at the top of their game and the recording is flawless. They are playing better at BP than even on the excellent live Iridium webstream from the beginning of the tour. I very much enjoyed that show as well but the BP nudges that one out of first place. Newbies of the new SM should definitely start here! And move backwards...

Particular highlight: Hazard Profile, the one tune that the new SM have struggled with IMHO is delivered confidently and with verve. Great stuff.

One odd note: I'm pretty sure the front cover retro photo is actually from Las Vegas Blvd., Las Vegas, in the late '60s. Not Hollywood, or anywhere in the LA area.

I was very happy to receive an email the same day that my CD had shipped! Ha cha!

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    One odd note: I'm pretty sure the front cover retro photo is actually from Las Vegas Blvd., Las Vegas, in the late '60s. Not Hollywood, or anywhere in the LA area.
    An internet search images of the Del Mar Motel Las Vegas would support your theory.
    https://www.cardcow.com/79542/beauti...s-blvd-nevada/
    Note the position of the lamp-post and the drive.
    Oops!

^^^ Thanks for confirming! I love those old motel/hotel/restaurant post cards from that era. The Beautiful Del Mar Resort Motel indeed.

Restaurant next door. Air-Conditioned by Refrigeration. Free TV. Piped in Music. Charming Patio and Sundeck.

What more could you want?

DLd and listened to Baked Potato today. Just to add my voice to those above, it is excellent.

Quote Originally Posted by jcarr73729 View Post
    An internet search images of the Del Mar Motel Las Vegas would support your theory.
    https://www.cardcow.com/79542/beauti...s-blvd-nevada/
    I did some googling to try to confirm and ran across a nice picture of Elke Sommer, so it wasn't a waste of time.

Got the CD in the mail today. Sounds great. Highly recommended.

Crikey! I forgot all about this one!

Thanks for the reminders, gentlemen. I've saved this one so I can order later hopefully.