Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: What Type of Music Does your Wife/parner Listen to (support Prog rock?)

Quote Originally Posted by The Twickerman View Post
    Or husband? ;-)
    Counts as a parner.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Twickerman View Post
    Or husband? ;-)
    Definitely includes partner (could have specified) but partner inclues wife and same sex partners.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    There's a lot of prog that I know my wife COULD appreciate if I could get her to sit and pay attention to it, and Hammill and VDGG is something she could appreciate. But to her music is mostly something she listens to while she does something else so we sort of listen to music for different reasons. But she also likes Leonard Cohen a lot, and Dorrie Previn, and Joni Mitchell, so she likes some weirdness and intensity too. But something like, say Jon Anderson's voice; I can see her react with sort of fond familiarity immediately followed by disgust.
    1) Yes the trick is to get the undivided attention of the listener. Important in prog me thinks.

2) I forgot to mention my wife loooooooooves Leonard Cohen.

3) I used to react with familiarity and disgust when hearing Anderson’s or Lee’s or that guy from Pavlov Dog’s voice, but I’ve grown more tolerant esp. for Anderson since there’s often a lot of amazing music around it. In my high school if you were a Yes fan you were considered a “fem-boy” and candidate for a punch in the teeth.

My wife actively likes Peter Gabriel and Pink Floyd, and actually got me into Tull beyond Aqualung. Most of my other music she tolerates, but not King Crimson and anything in that vague neighborhood.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    My wife actively likes Peter Gabriel and Pink Floyd, and actually got me into Tull beyond Aqualung. Most of my other music she tolerates, but not King Crimson and anything in that vague neighborhood.
    Does your wife like Gabriel-led Genesis
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

She tolerates it, but actually likes some Collins-era stuff.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    She tolerates it, but actually likes some Collins-era stuff.
    That's basically the story with my partner Marcia. She likes Phil-era Genesis better than Gabe. Given her theater background I thought for sure she'd be at least intrigued by Gabe-era Genesis, but I tried showing her the French Harmony TV performance of "Supper's Ready" and she was not impressed.

And King Crimson... Robert Fripp will forever be in her black book because he shut down alcohol service before the 1995 show I brought her to. She has a chronic bad back and really needed something to dull the pain. We had great seats -- fifth row, or something. But the nail in the coffin was when Adrian pulled out the power drill on his guitar. To this day I have to sneak KC past her with stuff like "Book of Saturdays" or "The Night Watch". Rehabilitating a hard and fast hatred of a band can be a long, arduous process.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

My girl friend is quite big avantprog -fan. She especially likes Henry Cow and everything related to Dagmar Krause and Fred Frith. Un Peu de L'Ame des Bandits by Aksak Maboul is one of her all time favourite albums.

She also enjoys Peter Hammill /VdGG, King Crimson, Steven Wilson, Yes and Genesis. We have also seen Magma together few times and she really liked those gigs. Neoprog and other kind of modern prog or progmetal usually don't work for her but there is some exceptions like Leprous and Haken.

Of course she also enjoys many pop artists like Petshop Boys, Tori Amos and Nick Cave.

Oh, and she also collects vinyl records.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

My wife's preferences are classical and blues, with an occasional side of jazz. But she often listens to Tull, the Moody Blues, Joni Mitchell, Neil Young, the Allman Brothers, Beatles, Nick Drake, Traffic and Floyd.
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    My girl friend is quite big avantprog -fan. She especially likes Henry Cow and everything related to Dagmar Krause and Fred Frith. Un Peu de L'Ame des Bandits by Aksak Maboul is one of her all time favourite albums.

She also enjoys Peter Hammill /VdGG, King Crimson, Steven Wilson, Yes and Genesis. We have also seen Magma together few times and she really liked those gigs. Neoprog and other kind of modern prog or progmetal usually don't work for her but there is some exceptions like Leprous and Haken.

Of course she also enjoys many pop artists like Petshop Boys, Tori Amos and Nick Cave.

Wow! Let me know when you get tired of her.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post

That's amazing, the dark complex/dissonant music for women is usually completely off bounds. I noticed on this thread that King Crimson, overall, is not popular. Happy to hear Allman Brothers is popular, a top 10 band for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    My wife like melodic stuff and hates avant or noise or free-jazz or complex/difficult/dissonant stuff.
    that's about the same as my wife

We go to concerts together. She totally loved the Return To Forever concert. She loved the Dregs and Kansas concerts and the same bands I liked at BAJA PROG; PFM especially. She hated Circa but loved New Trolls immensely. We went to see Soft Machine but she didn't care for them <shrug> She loved Billy Cobham and Al DiMeola when we saw them. Generally, I can play anything in the car when we are going places, but I consciously steer away from the more angular bands when in the car with the fam.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

I think I've vented about this before, but my wife isn't much for prog and much guitar-driven rock. She loves her old 70s singer/songwriters (you don't want to know how many times I've seen James Taylor), some current dance pop/boy bands, some country (thank god she plays very little of it), and just a lot of "soft" music. She has been to a few Rush concerts (and confused fans by getting up and dancing to Roll the Bones), likes some songs by Pink Floyd and Peter Gabriel, can listen to "Roundabout" without complaint but HATES "All Good People". She vacillates on music she hears in passing. One day Pat Metheny's "Wichita" sounds cool and the next, "what is that crap". She detests anything too complicated or tricky so jazz is right out. Jethro Tull sounds like wanker music. Anything with a hard or heavy riff is not met with enthusiasm (but she will tolerate Rush so go figure). Hates Robert Plant's voice but went with to at least one of his solo shows and found his stage presence impressive. I can never really figure out what will work one day and not the next. She rarely listens to our stereo except in Christmas season, always wants control of the stereo when in the car, or when she's in bed and tells Alexa to play some 70s hits. She never had any voice training but into her early 50s could take the soprano part of the Hallelujah chorus and hit it into the rafters (her range has dropped with age). She is very picky about singers and has a good sense of pitch - she has lots to say about singers she sees on shows and videos. So some of my music has worked over the years but only some of it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    that's about the same as my wife

We go to concerts together. She totally loved the Return To Forever concert. She loved the Dregs and Kansas concerts and the same bands I liked at BAJA PROG; PFM especially. She hated Circa but loved New Trolls immensely. We went to see Soft Machine but she didn't care for them <shrug> She loved Billy Cobham and Al DiMeola when we saw them. Generally, I can play anything in the car when we are going places, but I consciously steer away from the more angular bands when in the car with the fam.
    Ha! I am not allowed to play anything dissonant or "weird" in the car. The last time it was a Thinking Plague CD. It took about 2 minutes to get one of her patented dirty looks and the CD eject button pushed.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    That's amazing, the dark complex/dissonant music for women is usually completely off bounds. I noticed on this thread that King Crimson, overall, is not popular.
    How so?

I believe we've had a few of these threads before in which we get to write about our partners' musikal preferences, and this specific argument - that female habitus in music is somehow more one-dimensional or indeed even "simple" in keeping with some mysterious "aesthetic of the womanhood" - ALWAYS pops in. Well, it's not like that.

I had plenty of girlfriends, one wife, one additional fiancée and another additional domestic partner, and obviously they were -all- submitted and/or exposed to my listening preferences in one way or another (and usually many other). A girlfriend of mine back when I was in my early 20s thought I was insane due to the contents of my rather excessive musical interest, my "[…] oddball" record collection and the frequent application of its contents. My wife, however, was academically and intellectually brilliant and majored in her studies at 23, by which time we'd already been married for two years - and she absolutely adored my weirdest adherences; HCow, Beefheart, Muffins, Aksak, Debile Menthol (she loved them!) and particularly Slapp Happy. She still thinks Acnalbasac Noom to be the greatest pop album of all time along with The Aller Værste's Materialtretthet. And she was, in heart and mind, a popper more than a rocker. However, she detested "symph" and used to call it "pussy gay stuff", which was a little hurting as she excelled in gender research as an advanced literary scholar. Well, well.

All the women I knew in the radical dorms of university back then would entertain harsh stances on rock/pop; to them it was apparently less about the musch heralded aesthetic "authenticity" than about artistic genuinity. They'd dig hardcore punk or grindcore, obscure rastafareggae, anti-folk, industrial or avant-progressive. They'd loathe a band like Porcupine Tree or 80s Floyd or whatever.

Later on I teamed up with a cuppa birds who didn't like or find interest in music whatsoever. We parted ways and I set into the sun alone on my antagonistic cowboy trail of symph-vs.-avant duelling. I became an unnaturally unborn killer at it.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Banned
    ^^^ Surely you know women are simple creatures incapable of articulating or appreciating complex musical structures. Fred Frith ghost-wrote all of Lindays Cooper's stuff, for just one example.

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    How so?

I believe we've had a few of these threads before in which we get to write about our partners' musikal preferences, and this specific argument - that female habitus in music is somehow more one-dimensional or indeed even "simple" in keeping with some mysterious "aesthetic of the womanhood" - ALWAYS pops in. Well, it's not like that.

I had plenty of girlfriends, one wife, one additional fiancée and another additional domestic partner, and obviously they were -all- submitted and/or exposed to my listening preferences in one way or another (and usually many other). A girlfriend of mine back when I was in my early 20s thought I was insane due to the contents of my rather excessive musical interest, my "[…] oddball" record collection and the frequent application of its contents. My wife, however, was academically and intellectually brilliant and majored in her studies at 23, by which time we'd already been married for two years - and she absolutely adored my weirdest adherences; HCow, Beefheart, Muffins, Aksak, Debile Menthol (she loved them!) and particularly Slapp Happy. She still thinks Acnalbasac Noom to be the greatest pop album of all time along with The Aller Værste's Materialtretthet. And she was, in heart and mind, a popper more than a rocker. However, she detested "symph" and used to call it "pussy gay stuff", which was a little hurting as she excelled in gender research as an advanced literary scholar. Well, well.

All the women I knew in the radical dorms of university back then would entertain harsh stances on rock/pop; to them it was apparently less about the musch heralded aesthetic "authenticity" than about artistic genuinity. They'd dig hardcore punk or grindcore, obscure rastafareggae, anti-folk, industrial or avant-progressive. They'd loathe a band like Porcupine Tree or 80s Floyd or whatever.

Later on I teamed up with a cuppa birds who didn't like or find interest in music whatsoever. We parted ways and I set into the sun alone on my antagonistic cowboy trail of symph-vs.-avant duelling. I became an unnaturally unborn killer at it.
    I understand and agree with your points. I was not conveying that women are one dimensional, just that the majority of the posts in this thread stated King Crimson, as one example, was not something they enjoyed. I was also going by my experiences in my current relationship - my wife likes the softer side of progressive rock.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    ^^^ Surely you know women are simple creatures incapable of articulating or appreciating complex musical structures. Fred Frith ghost-wrote all of Lindays Cooper's stuff, for just one example.
    ^ Yeah for sure, I didn't actually know about this until I read B. Piekut's book. Turned out Lindsay C. was merely just another huge (female) fan of Porky, Millimarilli and Georg-Cate W. Bush.
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

the majority of the posts in this thread stated King Crimson, as one example, was not something they enjoyed. I was also going by my experiences in my current relationship - my wife likes the softer side of progressive rock.
    I can easily see/hear that, especially with women/People who are perhaps not generally all too accustomed to - er - "challenging" tropes of rock/pop. I suspect it's a pretty common thing. My sister, for instance, would listen to Talk Talk right up until Spirit of Eden - by which time she'd stop in horror. Not because of some alleged ugliness but simply due to its abstraction of musical concepts.

On the other hand, the same group of females I fraternized with during university days -DID- find their way onto KCrimson, the latter presumably often appearing more "acceptable" to their raunchy tastes. Some of them enjoyed VdGG and GGiant too, although my wife sorted the latter (one of my fave bands) under the "pussy gay" moniker.

I understand and agree with your points. I was not conveying that women are one dimensional, just that the majority of the posts in this thread stated King Crimson, as one example, was not something they enjoyed. I was also going by my experiences in my current relationship - my wife likes the softer side of progressive rock.
    Contributing to the clichés, women want to enjoy and feel comfortable with the music, while men want to defeat it, whatever the struggle
    My Progressive Workshop at http://soundcloud.com/hfxx

My wife listens to prog and contemporary classical. We got together, in part, because we were both big Rush fans. We’ve played in a prog band together since 2003.

My wife likes a fair amount of prog. Mostly the more mainstream bands, YES, ELP, Genesis, Floyd... but even with those she's more a "hits" type of listener, nothing too deep in the catalog. "Welcome Back my Friends" = Great, "Tarkus" = Bad. Although, over the last, say 10 years, she's become a BIG fan of early Genesis. She likes all of it, even Supper's Ready. I can't figure her out. I've taken her the The Musical Box several times, as well as Steve Hackett which she LOVES. She loves Nad Sylvan too. Her favorite album is Selling England. She also surprised me a couple years ago when Strawbs were coming around, I gave her Hero & Herione to listen too so she can familiarize herself with the band, and now she LOVES the Strawbs. Blew my mind, because I've been playing them for 25 years of our marriage, and she's only just discovered them. She also loved Renaissance when I took her to that show. She also likes a good deal of early Spock's Beard as I listened to them a lot back in the day. It's really anything that's not very accessible, too manic or wanky, or too metal, that turns her off.

All that said, if she's alone in her car she prefers to listen to alternative rock. I would say her tastes are 60% alternative, 40% prog/classic rock. And she's not a music "buyer" herself. I do all the music purchasing, and concert ticket purchasing. She has never asked me to take her to a concert of a band she likes, that I don't really care for.

My better half is a few years younger than me but, before we met (in 1980), she had already developed a preference for prog-related artists like Mike Oldfield, Kate Bush and Genesis (FYFM was a favourite back then) compared to the pop/dance music so common at that time.
    I introduced her to what I had been listening to in the previous decade with mixed but encouraging results.
    I thought she would go for the more popular end of the prog spectrum but have been particularly surprised how she really grew to like groups like Porcupine Tree, Marillion (h-era), Yes, Steve Hackett, IQ etc. as much as Mostly Autumn, Magenta and Karnataka (not sure why I'd expected her to be open to female-fronted bands first).
    We get to plenty of shows and festivals and have become CTTE regulars. The festivals prove an eye-opener as often we see artists she has not heard of before at these events and the bands she picks up on often surprises me - for example, her two favourite new discoveries on the last CTTE were Riverside and Gazpacho!

I have rarely been able to interest my wife in prog, and long ago stopped trying. When we were first dating in the mid-90s every music-related date seemed to turn into a calamity for one crazy reason or another. I've described a few of those here on PE over the years. Back then her favorite genres were country and Motown. Today she has lost most interest in those styles, and the only thing we can agree upon in the car is XM's Symphony Hall. Which is not bad, actually. I have found my classical knowledge expanding substantially as a result.