Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Type of Music Does your Wife/parner Listen to (support Prog rock?)

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar

What Type of Music Does your Wife/parner Listen to (support Prog rock?)

Hi there,

I have been married for about a year now and my wife heard no prog rock previously. She has remained amazingly open but prefers symphonic/gentle prog rock. Her favourites are Banco, PFM, and Le Orme - she really loves it. She is open to listening to any prog rock I play or classic rock. She especially likes Supertramp. She likes Porcupine Tree but really likes, a lot, Harmonium. There are many other examples but I count myself lucky we can share this love for music. She just reallly supports my love of prog but things like Gentle Giant and King Crimson are much lower on her ladder of prog rock.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

She loves Peter Gabriel (mostly "So," as she's not familiar with much more than that). Her favorite band is the Moody Blues. I guess there's some Rush she likes, but more of the mainstream stuff.

That being said, she's not a fan of progrock.com, which I stream a lot.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

My wife, who is here with me, loves Arcade Fire, Leonard Cohen, Neil Young, Alabama Shakes and some Mavis Staples, among others- I knew we would get married when I found out she loved the Incredible String Band.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

My wife was a music major in college, and grew up in a household that love all kinds of music from opera to symphonic, blues, jazz (Miles Davis and Dave Brubeck in particular), Beatles and Stones, Dylan, etc. Before I met her, she was heavily into the Brecker Brothers, Steely Dan, Queen as well as some 80s stuff like Squeeze; but spent most of her time with the classical saxophone quartet and symphonic music she was learning in school.

When I exposed her to Yes, ELP, Tull, KC and the like, she enjoyed it immediately. We actually discovered a lot of Prog together, like Gentle Giant and the Island-ear Jade Warrior, that she caught onto more quickly than I did. She also really likes Thinking Plague. Most of our listening is Prog Rock, and there's little of what I like that she doesn't (she's not so into Gryphon, for whatever reason). And like me, she tends to frown on the more "poppy" end of the Prog spectrum. "Where's the 'Prog'?" she asks me when I sample this kind of stuff, or we are exposed to it at festivals. I just shrug.

I'd say I got pretty lucky, it's not every wife who tells her Prog-loving husband to throw on some early Deux Ex Machina over dinner!

Bill

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    When I met my wife in ‘77, she was listening to Poco and Loggins and Messina. On our third date I took her to see ELP with orchestra at MSG. The rest is history. Her current faves are Steven Wilson and Neal Morse, but she groks most symph, even bordering on prog metal ie Ayreon. Loves Camel-and Canterbury! Enjoys PFM and IQ! My wife ..,I think I’ll keep her!

My partner will tolerate some prog, and occasionally surprises me when she perks up at stuff like Olias of Sunhillow. But her main love is jazz -- bebop and Latin jazz, mostly -- and Broadway show music (she was in theater before we met.) She can listen to the Hamilton soundtrack on repeat 24/7.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

My wife doesn’t like music. She considers it noise and always complains if I put any music on and says turn that noise off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank goodness for headphones.
    Currently attempting to catch up on all of the chaos in the Market Square.

The eons are closing
    My wife and I have overlapping tastes that include proggy stuff.

She is a huge fan of LTIA thru TPtB, seen Crimson 10 times together sonce 99 including last fall at RCMH from fourth row (hates that muzak Islands tho)

Big YES fan as well as well as classic era Dream Theater (e.g. 8vm and prior)

Not such a Zappa fan though prefers Flo n Eddie era and Wazoo era Frank

Generally if it rocks, it will get a listen.
    Death inspires me like a dog inspires a rabbit

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    My wife was a music major in college, and grew up in a household that love all kinds of music from opera to symphonic, blues, jazz (Miles Davis and Dave Brubeck in particular), Beatles and Stones, Dylan, etc. Before I met her, she was heavily into the Brecker Brothers, Steely Dan, Queen as well as some 80s stuff like Squeeze; but spent most of her time with the classical saxophone quartet and symphonic music she was learning in school.

When I exposed her to Yes, ELP, Tull, KC and the like, she enjoyed it immediately. We actually discovered a lot of Prog together, like Gentle Giant and the Island-ear Jade Warrior, that she caught onto more quickly than I did. She also really likes Thinking Plague. Most of our listening is Prog Rock, and there's little of what I like that she doesn't (she's not so into Gryphon, for whatever reason). And like me, she tends to frown on the more "poppy" end of the Prog spectrum. "Where's the 'Prog'?" she asks me when I sample this kind of stuff, or we are exposed to it at festivals. I just shrug.

I'd say I got pretty lucky, it's not every wife who tells her Prog-loving husband to throw on some early Deux Ex Machina over dinner!

Bill
    It must a nice having a partner who appreciates music so much with specialized knowledge. I'm also impressed she gets into the more challenging stuff. I bought tickets to see Terra Igcognita and perhaps my wife getting into Anekdoten. So far, our trip to Mexico next month was cancelled but I'm holding out the faintess hope that Anekdoten rings a bell live (but as a betting man, I don't think it will happen).

The other posts are interesting. I'd be happy to have a partner who just got a lot of enjoyment from music in general and as a bonus, prog.
    Last edited by mozo-pg; 03-23-2020 at 07:53 PM.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

My late wife was a major Jethro Tull freak, which is how I met her. She was also a fan of Popol Vuh (through their Herzog soundtracks), Gong, Rush, King Crimson (Poseidon was her favorite), Kate Bush, and Frank Zappa (that was my doing). She disliked Gentle Giant.
    Hurtleturtled Out of Heaven - an electronic music composition, on CD and vinyl
    https://michaelpdawson.bandcamp.com
    http://www.waysidemusic.com/Music-Pr...MCD-spc-7.aspx

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    My wife likes almost no Prog. Kate Bush’s Hounds of Love. Another song might occasionally catch her ear. But at least she does have good tats in music, and I like the stuff she likes, which is jazz singers like Billie and Ella, opera, classical, etc.

But you folks with partners who like Prog are very lucky. It’s probably a great thing to have an interest like that in common.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    There may be a few proggish songs here and there that my wife is ok with, but for the most part, she hates prog and metal. She likes mostly Top 100 stuff, pop, soft rock, boogie stuff.

Banned
    My wife like melodic stuff and hates avant or noise or free-jazz or complex/difficult/dissonant stuff. But most people do. She is a huge fan of Carmina Burana so I thought that might be an entry ticket for Magma but she was meh about it. Other than that she’s all over the map with pop (Abba), flamenco, opera, etc. One night I played the first song of VDDG’s reunion tour on video “Darkness” and to my surprise she loved it. You never know...

I forgot to mention, my wife really likes Glass Hammer. (I do, too). Hear that, Fred? :-)
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    The last time she went to a show with me (Hackett) she said afterward that she really doesn't want to go to any more shows where they spend so much time not singing.
    ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Lucky for me my wife is very open minded about music. She listens to anything I put on the stereo. But some of her favorites are:

Frank & Dweezil Zappa
    Jethro Tull
    Allan Holdsworth
    Robben Ford
    Bach
    Gerry Mulligan
    Ben Webster
    Kimara Sajn

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    She loves Peter Gabriel (mostly "So," as she's not familiar with much more than that). Her favorite band is the Moody Blues. I guess there's some Rush she likes, but more of the mainstream stuff.

That being said, she's not a fan of progrock.com, which I stream a lot.
    Oh, yeah, my wife loves Wakeman, too.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

My wife is not really much into music at all. In her car she often has the 70’s channel on XM or some kind of talk radio. She has some CD’s, but just a few compared to my huge collection. She likes music, just isn’t “into” it like I am. The advantage to this is that I can pretty much control what we listen to in the car and she is cool about it. She will go to concerts with me if I need someone to go with, but she could take it or leave it most of the time. She has been to NEARfest, ROSfest, and of course ProgDay, but she is more interested in all of those festivals if some of our friends and especially wives, come along. She will sit through some of the performances, but also skips quite a few. The bottom line is, she knows I am obsessed with music and going to live performances and she lets me have that. She was even willing to go on Cruise To The Edge this year, which although she loves cruising, would certainly not be high on her list of choices.

One band that she does really enjoy is Discipline. We have seen those guys many times over the years, and she always enjoys them. There are other bands she enjoys too. On the other hand, sometimes I am playing something in the car, and she will say something like “what is that shit?” and often the answer is something like, “well……this is one of the bands playing the festival this weekend”. The bottom line is my wife is totally cool when it comes to my music obsession.

Hello Gang!.
    In our 28 years of marriage, my lovely wife still really enjoys my CDs of Elton Clapton and Eric John ... get the picture?
    She likes Cast and Spinetta for example and some jazz and fusion but doesn't enjoy at all the weird-free-Avant music that I have; very rarely she accompanied me to concerts but I have to be honest: I have also attended hers!.

Regards!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    My wife like melodic stuff and hates avant or noise or free-jazz or complex/difficult/dissonant stuff. But most people do.
    #me too

My wife who I met last summer and we married in January plays bass, so has a deep love of music of several kinds and has a great sense for melody. She likes a lot of lesser known proggy indie stuff, and blues, and some rock. Her favorites include:

Signals (UK) (proggy math rock)
    Tennis (romantic indie-very pretty)
    Marcus King Band (great blues)
    Far Caspian (outdoorsy melodic indie rock)
    SummerSalt (summer vacation chill)
    Alabama Shakes (kind of blues, soul, funk)

She loves my piano music, so we get along great she also does like Big Big Train and Rush

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    One night I played the first song of VDDG’s reunion tour on video “Darkness” and to my surprise she loved it. You never know...
    There's a lot of prog that I know my wife COULD appreciate if I could get her to sit and pay attention to it, and Hammill and VDGG is something she could appreciate. But to her music is mostly something she listens to while she does something else so we sort of listen to music for different reasons. But she also likes Leonard Cohen a lot, and Dorrie Previn, and Joni Mitchell, so she likes some weirdness and intensity too. But something like, say Jon Anderson's voice; I can see her react with sort of fond familiarity immediately followed by disgust.

My wife absolutely adores Christian Vander / Magma, Hermeto Pascoal and Egberto Gismonti.
    Actually even though we have barely known each other for about 10 years or so, it is my writing about Magma that made her really get interested into / motivated her to approach me.......

She also likes quite a lot of Yes, Genesis, Atoll, and many of the canterbury bands (National Health would be her favorite).
    She can not stand with Pink Floyd, King Crimson, Gentle Giant and the more bombastic synphonic Prog in general (so Italian symph is an absolute no) and neo / modern symph in general.
    Anytime I play EL&P she burst into laughter... (but says it is better to listen to them than with KC or PF).
    Loves Popol Vuh, likes Tangerine Dream, indifferent with Klaus Schulze or Amon Duul II, can't tolerate Faust or ADI.

Not too keen on the darker / dense RIO/ Avant Prog bands, but like / love Albert Marcouer, Picchio dal Pozzo.

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    Lucky for me my wife is very open minded about music. She listens to anything I put on the stereo.
    That is the closest to my experience. Her preference is classic rock, which I enjoy as well. She’s also a big fan of Native American music. But she enjoys and/or tolerates anything I play which can range from the most sugary pop to free jazz.

But as a classic rock fan, her preference is 70s and retro sounding symph, proto-Prog, Jazz-Rock, 90s third wave, indie crossovers, Tool style metal, etc. But I have turned her on to a lot of jazz as well, everything from Miles, Coltrane, Dolphy, and Mingus to more modern groups, Steve Coleman, ECM, Belgian/French jazz, and more.

She’s been to festivals with me, notably NEARFest and ProgDay. I don’t force music on her, however. So the “sharing” aspect is as much as she wants to absorb. She’s fascinated about at the degree to which I am able to find new things to hear.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.