Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mediocre albums falsly regarded as good 'cause they're surrounded by masterpieces

Agreed with "Down to Earth", and DSoTM is a great pick - I wouldn't have probably thought of it myself, but I rate "Meddle" and WYWH much higher indeed.

Also:

Jethro Tull - Too Old to Rock'n'Roll, Too Young to Day (a pretty obvious choice - I know this album also has its fans, but I'm not one of them, "Minstrel" and SFTW are so much better)
    King Crimson - Starless and Bible Black (patchy collection of improvs sandwiched between two classics)

i think LZ III is killer if a bit different in that it featured acoustic tunes and alternate tunings of songs not generally heard by zep fans. it wasn't weak it was only different. lol

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    This is nothing but a negative thread, a chance to bash albums other feel are great. Why, what is the point? Why not celebrate what you like instead of dedicating a thread to what you don't? We all debate the merits or lack there of for all kinds of music on this site, but to start off a topic only looking for negatives makes little sense to me.
    well but its a round about way to do it in a way that can be informative and with all trying to offer opinions without the fanboyisms. we covered most everything and this is a nother approach to talk about things in a manner conducive to prog fans. yuck yuck yuck

pink floyd the final cut is my fave floyd cd besides animals i cant stand the wall at all dark side of moon is average also

How about Let It Be in between The White Album and Abbey Road? Abbey Road may have come out first, but it was recorded after Let It Be.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I always thought Final Cut was weak but the Gilmour album that followed was only marginally better.
    Do you mean Gilmour's On an Island (2006) or Pink Floyd's A Momentary Lapse of Reason (1987)?

Quote Originally Posted by Rufus View Post
    The main problem was that once Water's left they didn't have a songwriter !
    I think Gilmour's written a number of good songs. Even with Floyd, IMO the music is far more important than the lyrics. There's some great stuff on all of Gilmour's solo albums, and especially on the live DVD sets he's released in the last several years. I hesitate to clog this thread with YouTube clips, but the song "The Blue" from On an Island is magnificent and hypnotic, IMO. I like most of what Waters has done, but Gilmour's musicality trumps Waters lyrical skills, again, IMO. Come on, he's God.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    This is nothing but a negative thread, a chance to bash albums other feel are great. Why, what is the point? Why not celebrate what you like instead of dedicating a thread to what you don't? We all debate the merits or lack there of for all kinds of music on this site, but to start off a topic only looking for negatives makes little sense to me.
    I actually think the discourse on this thread has been pretty good and enjoyable.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post

Magical Mystery Tour -- well, more of an EP -- is a turd when placed between Sgt Pepper's and the White Album.
    You are dead to me.

Actually, going by the Brit ep I might give that to you. Not the American album though.

Wait- a TURD? I SHUN YOU!!

KENNY HENSON SOUTH AFRICA RARE PROG, FREEDOMS CHILDREN
    http://youtu.be/cIfD4vLdGRQ

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    I always thought that Shakin like a human being was a bit of a filler album for Kim Mitchell - between Akimbo Alogo and Rockland. (although sales dont seem to show it)

- Now we're talking the big six!
    Sorry, but none of Kim's solo work compares to the Max Webster material.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    I'm not saying this is Jubal's reason for not liking The Final Cut, but sometimes on PE I'll see someone dislike an album or a piece of music because it has an overall depressing or negative tone.
    I personally love depressing and negative music, most of my favorite albums fall into that camp. So it isn't that that drives my dislike of The Final Cut. It's the focus on Waters lyrics to the detriment of the music. I also think that the Division Bell & AMLOR are weak precisely because they miss Waters writing. When the band was great it was the combination of Water, Gilmour & Wright (with Mason keeping the beat) that made it wonderful. Any other combination just doesn't do it.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    DEATH TO FALSE MASTERPIECES!
    Hehe.
    Last edited by NogbadTheBad; 03-03-2013 at 08:50 PM.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    Two entirely different animals. One aggressive, creative, and groundbreaking, the other, not. Max is former.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I don't think Pieces Of Eight was anywhere as good as the previous 3 Styx albums-The Grand Illusion, Crystal Ball & Equinox which to me are the 3 essential Styx albums.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    I personally love depressing and negative music, most of my favoritw albums fall into that camp. So it isn't that that drives my dislike of The Final Cut. It's the focus on Waters lyrics to the detriment of the music. I also think that the Division Bell & AMLOR are weak precisely because they miss Waters writing. When the band was great it was the combination of Water, Gilmour & Wright (with Mason keeping the beat) that made it wonderful. Any other combination just doesn't do it.

Hehe.
    This guy the slickest af all.

Quote Originally Posted by Rand Kelly View Post

Pink Floyd-The Final Cut is another album I literally can't stand. Apparently I'm not alone as Gilmour hates it as well. Placed between The Wall and A Momentary Lapse Of Reason I think it belongs on this list. Only one good song,Not Now John and of course it's because David smokes on the guitar here. It's basically his only moment to shine. The rest of it sounds like Wall outtakes.
    According to Gilmour, some of it is Wall outtakes. Some of the songs were literally part of the original Wall demo that Roger presented to the band in early 1979 (along with his demo of Pros And Cons Of Hitchhiking, which apparently also dates from the same time period). Once Bob Ezrin got involved, he went through the whole thing and served as editor, dropping songs that weren't very song, and making other edits (such as removing information that gave away Roger's age, because "Kids don't want to know that their rock stars are old"...even Roger would have only been in his mid 30's at the time).

Then when The Final Cut came together, Roger resurrected some of those songs.

At any rate, I don't know anyone who considers The Final Cut a "classic" album, other than maybe Fish, who once said it's still the best commentary about the Falklands War ever.
    Last edited by GuitarGeek; 03-04-2013 at 02:50 PM.

Banned
    I would like participate in this thread because I inspired it, but I don't get the topic. How can someone automatically think an album by a certain artist would be good just because the last one was? Don't we call those people fanboys.

I have to agree that Yes' GFTO seems overrated. For some reason, Awaken and Wondrous Stories have never done anything for me. And I've tried a lot because people rave about those songs so much. I'll have to try again.

Quote Originally Posted by JIF View Post
    I would like participate in this thread because I inspired it, but I don't get the topic. How can someone automatically think an album by a certain artist would be good just because the last one was? Don't we call those people fanboys.
    I remember someone once saying they thought Grobschnitt's "Merry Go Round" album should be good, since it came out right after Solar Music Live. It seemed like good reasoning in a way. As I recall the album has some ok stuff but basically it's the beginning of a downhill slide. I think it's a noble idea, that the album following a certain classic is at least worth investigating. But as people have pointed out, who knows what shakeups there might have been.

All albums I don't like in between albums I like sucks. End of thread.

Chocolate Kings... so derivative and mediocre between the fantastic L'isola and the experimental Jetlag

Grand Illusion is Styx best album BTW, not PoE... and the 2 before GI are better than PoE

Waters' Final Crap sux horribly but AMLoR while much better than TFC, isnt great. If I had to choose a Floyd album for this thread it would be Animals between their ultimate masterpiece WYWH and the 'pretty good', theatrical concept The Wall
    Last edited by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER; 03-04-2013 at 01:55 AM.
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by gryphs also View Post
    Two entirely different animals. One aggressive, creative, and groundbreaking, the other, not. Max is former.
    Yup, but even if AMV is still good (it's got moments of brilliance, but the overal sounds of the album is.... weird for MW), I'd stick mainly with their first three, really!!! So both AMV and UJ are both different beasts as well

AMV is the start of a long slide that includes Mitchell solo,
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by sonic View Post
    All albums I don't like in between albums I like sucks. End of thread.
    Damn this was short one.

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    Chocolate Kings... so derivative and mediocre between the fantastic L'isola and the experimental Jetlag

Though I really like it and it's not extreme or anything, Jetlag is certainly more "derivative" in some of its American jazzrock leanings than CK is of anything. No idea what you're hearing but like the album or not, it is absolutely in PFM's symphonic tradition and highly original in both its harmonic and melodic contexts. I'd argue that they somehow even improved as composers and the ideas are extraordinarily arranged and realized.

I'm surprised someone has mentioned the Beatles Magical mystery tour album as one.

The title track, I am the wlarus, Strawberry fields, Penny Lane, All you need is love, Hello goodbye etc

much less padding than The Beatles/The white Album (IMHO)

Quote Originally Posted by snowsnow View Post
    I'm surprised someone has mentioned the Beatles Magical mystery tour album as one.

The title track, I am the wlarus, Strawberry fields, Penny Lane, All you need is love, Hello goodbye etc

much less padding than The Beatles/The white Album (IMHO)
    Agreed %110 !!!

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post

Grand Illusion is Styx best album BTW, not PoE... and the 2 before GI are better than PoE

Waters' Final Crap sux horribly but AMLoR while much better than TFC, isnt great. If I had to choose a Floyd album for this thread it would be Animals between their ultimate masterpiece WYWH and the 'pretty good', theatrical concept The Wall

Obviously STYX disagree with you...they havn't played a song from Equinox for years live, probably since they toured the album itself! Not one killer track on it!