Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Mediocre albums falsly regarded as good 'cause they're surrounded by masterpieces

Quote Originally Posted by Jubal View Post
    For those who think The Final Cut is a great record- please tell me what kind of drug you are taking. I would love something that makes such putrid music even palatable.
    A lot of Pink Floyd fans rate The Final Cut. Personally, it's my favourite PF album but, even if it weren't, I think I'd think twice before posting on a forum that music someone else liked is "putrid".

well i'd have to go with "tales from topographic oceans" which was surrounded by Close to the Edge, Yessongs and Relayer. lol i know im gonna get some chit but thats life.lol

Okay, I'll piss some people off here...

Dark Side of the Moon -- coming in between Meddle and WYWH, this album is rather pedestrian.

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway -- okay, it's very good, but Selling England and Trick are great.

Magical Mystery Tour -- well, more of an EP -- is a turd when placed between Sgt Pepper's and the White Album.
    Cobra handling and cocaine use are a bad mix.

Quote Originally Posted by yogibear View Post
    well i'd have to go with "tales from topographic oceans" which was surrounded by Close to the Edge, Yessongs and Relayer. lol i know im gonna get some chit but thats life.lol
    I wouldn't say Tales is regarded as good. I've seen nothing by criticism about it from a lot of YES fans, the general public and even members of the band! It's always cited (By prog hating journalists) as being one of the albums that helped bring in punk... If anything I'd say it's an album hyped as being not very good, which is a shame, as some of it is very good indeed. Its main crime is that it's too much and too long.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I'm not saying this is Jubal's reason for not liking The Final Cut, but sometimes on PE I'll see someone dislike an album or a piece of music because it has an overall depressing or negative tone. This drives me crazy, because obviously a lot of the best art (written, musical, visual) has a depressing or negative tone and to me that's never been a reason to dislike a work of art. Personally, the lyrical content or subject matter is the least important aspect to me, even though it can still play an important part in shaping the whole.

RE: Barclay James Harvest's Gone to Earth, I love the album. Hymn and Poor Man's Moody Blues boring? I remember the description on the Laser's Edge site proclaiming it the best BJH album, and I probably agree.

My first thought is Led Zeppelin III.
    Back in the early 70s I would have agreed with you, but I was a metal-head then. Now, I completely disagree. I'd even go so far to say (against all conventional wisdom) that between LZ III and Houses Of The Holy is a place that LZ IV is luckily as good as it is.
    "The woods would be very silent if the only birds that sang were those who sang best..." - Henry David Thoreau

DEATH TO FALSE MASTERPIECES!
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

^ Yes, we must stick with only the acknowledged classics from 70's to remain safe!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post

Quote Originally Posted by Sordel View Post
    Not very prog, I'm afraid, but I think that For The Roses is a weak Joni Mitchell album that gets a bye because it's between Blue and Court and Spark.
    I don't think there is much basis for this argument and you'd be kind of on an island with this opinion. I suspect that people actually just like the album as opposed to "giving it a pass."

Personally, I might even rate FTR a little higher than Blue or C&S. It's a simply astonishing piece of work, IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve F. View Post
    Cheez you need an own board.

The thread title works without the falsly(sic). I don't like that word being there either.

Starting with the most obvious one:
    1. Yellow Submarine - placed between The Beatles and Abbey Road
    2. WYWH - placed between DSOTM and Animals
    3. Lamb - placed between SEBTP and Trick
    4. A - placed between Stormwatch and Broadsword
    5. Time Fades Away- placed between Harvest and On The Beach

Another vote for The Final Cut as a favourite PF album, it's the only one I still find really moving. The post Waters albums were awful, although Division Bell was a big improvement on the one before.
    I would say that Lamb is overrated, compared to SEBTP and TOTT, there's tons of filler on it.
    Not really a fan of TFTO or Relayer either although albums before and after were great.
    Fugazi seems much weaker than the other Fish era Marillion albums.
    Not sure if any of these are considered masterpieces though, TLLDOB probably is.
    Hmm (thinks...).
    I love VDGG but I only think they got going with Pawn Hearts. Are people mad for the early albums?
    I was really disappointed when I got to hear the much vaunted original of In The Region Of The Summer Stars by The Enid last year after having had the re-recorded 1984 version since the 80's. For years people had been telling me that the original was superior but it sounds really weak compared to the later version.

Quote Originally Posted by Sturgeon's Lawyer View Post
    Okay, I'll piss some people off here...

Dark Side of the Moon -- coming in between Meddle and WYWH, this album is rather pedestrian.

The Lamb Lies Down on Broadway -- okay, it's very good, but Selling England and Trick are great.

Magical Mystery Tour -- well, more of an EP -- is a turd when placed between Sgt Pepper's and the White Album.
    Agree with your Lamb and MMT observations but for me WYWH is weak compared to DSOTM and Animals. But this must be the most subjective thread ever created on this forum..so each to his own.

I agree and then some. Always found Still Life to be extremely lacking, shoulda been a Hammill solo.

Quote Originally Posted by zombywoof View Post
    Agreed. Its probably my favorite PF album.

This'll probably get me thrown out of Progdom, but I've never been the biggest fan of VdGG's "Still Life". As a followup to Godbluff, its a bit of a step down in my opinion ... too much Hammill, not enough of the rest of the band. Also, I think World Record is a much better album. Not that Still Life is a BAD album, it just seems more like a Hammill solo album as it doesn't have the variety of timbres or the melodies that older albums like Pawn Hearts and H to He had. In my opinion...

Quote Originally Posted by Harbottle View Post
    I wouldn't say Tales is regarded as good. I've seen nothing by criticism about it from a lot of YES fans, the general public and even members of the band! Its main crime is that it's too much and too long.
    ok i was just saying that many Yes fans and false prog fans and internet peeps cite it as being a prog masterpiece. lol

I hate false prog fans.

This is nothing but a negative thread, a chance to bash albums other feel are great. Why, what is the point? Why not celebrate what you like instead of dedicating a thread to what you don't? We all debate the merits or lack there of for all kinds of music on this site, but to start off a topic only looking for negatives makes little sense to me.

^ Yep, you're right. Hopefully, it'll turn into an underappreciated albums thread by accident.

Quote Originally Posted by Sordel View Post
    Interesting idea for a thread. Usually, an average album will get slagged off like crazy because it is surrounded by gems; it's rare for an average album to benefit from a "halo" effect.

Not very prog, I'm afraid, but I think that For The Roses is a weak Joni Mitchell album that gets a bye because it's between Blue and Court and Spark.
    Not a weak album for my ears. In fact it's rather brilliant, imo.

I always thought Final Cut was weak but the Gilmour album that followed was only marginally better. The problem was on the former Waters could write great lyrics but the melodies were strong on only a couple songs, a problem that was beginning to develop on The Wall. The problem with Momentary Lapse of Reason was we had none of Waters insights and barbed humor, just a lot of Floyd music by the numbers. Like most groups, Floyd was a sum of its parts and worked best when everyone was working together.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I always thought Final Cut was weak but the Gilmour album that followed was only
    marginally better. The problem was on the former Waters could write great lyrics but the melodies were strong on only a couple songs, a problem that was beginning to develop on The Wall. The problem with Momentary Lapse of Reason was we had none of Waters insights and barbed humor, just a lot of Floyd music by the numbers. Like most groups, Floyd was a sum of its parts and worked best when everyone was working together.
    The main problem was that once Water's left they didn't have a songwriter !

Just a few comments

Quote Originally Posted by Sunhillow View Post

- The Moody Blues - A Question Of Balance. I have high regards for all the other so-called 'Classic 7' albums, but next to the title-track, this one leaves me cold. I think it's a mess, and I don't like the production. >> yeah, it's definitely their weakest, despite holding the most hits... But then again, for me, their classic great album streaks stops at Threshold Of A Dream and For Our Children's Children... after that, they just get pointless
    - Styx - Pieces Of Eight >>> Surely you mean Cornerstone here... coz Po8 is their best of the string from Equinox to Paradise Theater... only Cornerstone sucks.... but it's definitely not over-rated, though
    My first thought is Led Zeppelin III. Compared to II and IV, it's a waste of my time. >>> Woooowwww!!!
    Tormato also comes to mind, but I tend to think Going For The One gets more credit than it deserves considering the cringe-worthy vocals on the title track. Take away Awaken and that album is only average. >> this, I totally agree with (and glad someone else thinks so.... Actually, take away Awaken from GFTO, and Tormato is a much better album... But then again both are out of the vstring of classic album.

Obscured by Clouds is stuck smack dab in between Meddle and DSOTM. What can you say; it's a soundtrack album limited by the producer's vision for the movie. It's not bad. It is mediocre. >> yeah, but it was never over-rated to start with
    Quote Originally Posted by Dodie View Post
    Tales from Topographic Oceans is the most obvious over-hyped patchy album stuck in the middle of a period of otherwise great masterpieces. Heresy to say that around here, I realise. >>> Yup, though the string of classic albums stops at the following Relayer >>> t's also why I won't mention Tull's dreadful Passion Play, since the following albums are simply not the quality of Aqualung and TAAB
    But what do I know? I believe The Division Bell is a MUCH better Pink Floyd album than The Final Cut, although I think Gilmour's best playing on that is on the title-track and 'The Fletcher Memorial Home', whereas 'Not Now John' is thoroughly naff. Momentary Lapse of Reason is no better or worse than the Final Cut, I reckon. So my taste is obviously just way off. :-) >>> Mmmhh!!!... again, we're out of the string of great albums (we jumped out of it with TFC... But TFC is at least as good as TDB, and million times better than AMLOR
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Yanks2009 View Post
    This is nothing but a negative thread, a chance to bash albums other feel are great. Why, what is the point? Why not celebrate what you like instead of dedicating a thread to what you don't? We all debate the merits or lack there of for all kinds of music on this site, but to start off a topic only looking for negatives makes little sense to me.
    Just think of this thread celebrating the great albums that surround a weaker album of a band
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I always thought that Shakin like a human being was a bit of a filler album for Kim Mitchell - between Akimbo Alogo and Rockland. (although sales dont seem to show it)

- Now we're talking the big six!