Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 85

Thread: Genesis In Concert (Trick tour) All Cleaned Up

  1. #1
    Moderator Sean's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2001
    Location
    Georgia
    Posts
    1,623

    Genesis In Concert (Trick tour) All Cleaned Up

    This Bruno guy is on a roll with these... Though I don't see/hear much difference. Do you?

    Last edited by Sean; 2 Weeks Ago at 12:32 AM.

  2. #2
    Hi Sean, Bruno here. It's just from the low resolution Laserdisc (4:3 letterbox) transfer released in Japan in early 90s. I cropped removing the horizontal black bars and then i just upscaled it and converted to a better display presentation. A little bit of noise reduction, ajustments of luminance and color. The source is poor. I found various versions for this concert on Youtube but i though that any of them shows good clarity, so i did this one. Nothing special. Hope some day we can see it restored and remastered in 4k from the original film reels...
    Cheers!

  3. #3
    Banned Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    42°09′30″N 71°08′43″W
    Posts
    3,054
    I'd have to say it's the best I've heard/seen it.

  4. #4
    The Enemy God
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    UK
    Posts
    49
    Bruno, think you ve done a great job.

  5. #5
    Casanova TCC's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Costa Rica
    Posts
    1,885
    Me too!.
    Thanks!
    Pura Vida!.

    There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

  6. #6
    Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2015
    Location
    Sussex, England.
    Posts
    1,392
    Love it!

  7. #7
    Nice job but this would have been an excellent opportunity to correct the speed issues that plague this recording. For comparison, see the officially released version of Entangled from the same show:


  8. #8
    Awesome. Thank you Bruno

  9. #9
    Bruno thank you for your uploads, they are great !!

  10. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by popeyebonaparte View Post
    Nice job but this would have been an excellent opportunity to correct the speed issues that plague this recording. For comparison, see the officially released version of Entangled from the same show:

    I'm very used to the speed of the Laserdisc version, i watch and listen in this way since...ever, so i didn't try to adjust this little original "tech glitch" that some people say it's like 4.2% pitch up (i can't even say if this number is really accurated, i don't know from where and how they conclude out this exact number). I know that some film conversion to PAL can do this issue, but I really don't care about this and the majority of the people not too. At last, it's just one more version, nothing special.

  11. #11
    Member Guitarplyrjvb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northeast Pennsylvania USA
    Posts
    641
    Wow! Those guys were a force back then. You get a real appreciation for Mike Rutherford watching all the parts he covers. Really great!

  12. #12
    Outraged bystander markwoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    2,319
    Wow! What a Treat! Thanks for the pointer and to Bruno for the clean up!
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

  13. #13
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Burlington Twp, NJ
    Posts
    1,244
    That was fantastic! I had never seen or heard this concert before. And Hackett even managed to get in the cameraman's way a couple of times.

  14. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Sampaio Barbosa View Post
    I'm very used to the speed of the Laserdisc version, i watch and listen in this way since...ever, so i didn't try to adjust this little original "tech glitch" that some people say it's like 4.2% pitch up (i can't even say if this number is really accurate, i don't know from where and how they conclude out this exact number). I know that some film conversion to PAL can do this issue, but I really don't care about this and the majority of the people not too. At last, it's just one more version, nothing special.
    It always amazes me that many people treat speed correction as a "subjective" thing, like remastering, when it's probably the most rational thing there is. I mean, it either plays at the right speed, or doesn't. And if someone says a recording runs too fast by 4.2%, it's either true or false, not something you're somehow free to disbelieve.

    I once got a credit on a Soft Machine live release ("Drop") simply because I had told the guy in charge of preparing the recording (Mike King - RIP) that it didn't run at quite the right speed, and I indicated by how much. How did I pull off this stupefying, magical feat ? Simply by using a musical instrument (preferrably an electronic keyboard) to ascertain the pieces' original key, then checking if the versions on the live album differed, and then used a software that allows speed changing and trying different percentages until I found by how much the speed needed to be altered.

    Nothing magical, or subjective, about this.

    Since you're doing such a great job with your remasters in every other respect, you should (imho) consider upgrading your skills in that other department, as correcting speed is something that adds a lot to the listening pleasure (especially, of course, when the speed is wrong to a large extent).
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Upcoming prog (& beyond) shows in France - http://www.bigbangmag.com/agenda.php

  15. #15
    Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    It always amazes me that many people treat speed correction as a "subjective" thing, like remastering, when it's probably the most rational thing there is. I mean, it either plays at the right speed, or doesn't. And if someone says a recording runs too fast by 4.2%, it's either true or false, not something you're somehow free to disbelieve.

    I once got a credit on a Soft Machine live release ("Drop") simply because I had told the guy in charge of preparing the recording (Mike King - RIP) that it didn't run at quite the right speed, and I indicated by how much. How did I pull off this stupefying, magical feat ? Simply by using a musical instrument (preferrably an electronic keyboard) to ascertain the pieces' original key, then checking if the versions on the live album differed, and then used a software that allows speed changing and trying different percentages until I found by how much the speed needed to be altered.

    Nothing magical, or subjective, about this.

    Since you're doing such a great job with your remasters in every other respect, you should (imho) consider upgrading your skills in that other department, as correcting speed is something that adds a lot to the listening pleasure (especially, of course, when the speed is wrong to a large extent).

    Hi, it's not matter of my skills, friend. I OPTED for no ajustments on this because I LIKE the way it is. If it bother someone, an "corrected" version can be found on Youtube. As i said, in this case it's don't matter for me and the majority. I can't found any moaning in the comments of the video. This issue just bother some huge Genesis fans with musical "golden ear". BTW, this particular video I din't put any "Remastering" label on it, it's basically the LASERDISC itself. Thank you. Regards

  16. #16
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Sampaio Barbosa View Post
    Hi, it's not matter of my skills, friend. I OPTED for no ajustments on this because I LIKE the way it is. If it bother someone, an "corrected" version can be found on Youtube. As i said, in this case it's don't matter for me and the majority. I can't found any moaning in the comments of the video. This issue just bother some huge Genesis fans with musical "golden ear". BTW, this particular video I din't put any "Remastering" label on it, it's basically the LASERDISC itself.s
    You're free to not care but the rest of your argument makes no sense whatsoever. It's better for music to run at the correct speed, period.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Upcoming prog (& beyond) shows in France - http://www.bigbangmag.com/agenda.php

  17. #17
    Progdog ThomasKDye's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Vallejo, CA
    Posts
    670
    Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    You're free to not care but the rest of your argument makes no sense whatsoever. It's better for music to run at the correct speed, period.
    Relax. If you don't like it, you can have your money back.

    (In case the sarcasm was missed, the fact that Bruno did this at all was a thoughtful gesture, and I think criticizing him for any aspect of it is seriously out of line. Thank you, Bruno, for your hard work.)
    "Arf." -- Frank Zappa, "Beauty Knows No Pain" (live version)

  18. #18
    I was wandering around Bruno's page & came across some great gems from Deep Purple, Captain Beyond & Frumpy among others. Definitely worth a look & a listen! Thanks Bruno!
    Sleeping at home is killing the hotel business!

  19. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by ThomasKDye View Post
    Relax. If you don't like it, you can have your money back.

    (In case the sarcasm was missed, the fact that Bruno did this at all was a thoughtful gesture, and I think criticizing him for any aspect of it is seriously out of line. Thank you, Bruno, for your hard work.)
    I wouldn't have written this - after my initial post which was complimentary about his work in general but merely suggested that it would be even better if he also took care of the speed issues - if he hadn't treated my remark with such apparent contempt for whoever thinks this is an issue. Well, sorry, but for me it's as much of an issue, since the whole point of his work is to make these videos look and sound a good as possible, as picture and sound quality. And I thought his tone was out of line on that part of his reply. His whole thing is about being a perfectionist, and the point of my post was to (a) compliment him on what he's done [with this and other great videos], and (b) suggest a way to make it even better. My advice was summarily rejected. No big deal, but please don't make it look like I insulted him and got what I deserved.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Upcoming prog (& beyond) shows in France - http://www.bigbangmag.com/agenda.php

  20. #20
    Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    Derby, Vermont
    Posts
    230
    Hello Folks ~

    If my memory serves me, my initial exposure to that documentation was on initial release at a local movie theater. Double bill with Rocky Horror Picture Show. Does that sound correct or even possible?? I was so VERY excited as I had yet to see them live in person. Soon!

    Two things come to mind as I rewatched this (THANKS for posting) How incredibly good they were live, and when shown a few times in the film, just how engaged the audience was and 'listening and soaking it all in'. NICE too.... no gadgetry in the air!

    Memories Indeed
    Carry On
    Chris Buckley

  21. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by calyx View Post
    I wouldn't have written this - after my initial post which was complimentary about his work in general but merely suggested that it would be even better if he also took care of the speed issues - if he hadn't treated my remark with such apparent contempt for whoever thinks this is an issue. Well, sorry, but for me it's as much of an issue, since the whole point of his work is to make these videos look and sound a good as possible, as picture and sound quality. And I thought his tone was out of line on that part of his reply. His whole thing is about being a perfectionist, and the point of my post was to (a) compliment him on what he's done [with this and other great videos], and (b) suggest a way to make it even better. My advice was summarily rejected. No big deal, but please don't make it look like I insulted him and got what I deserved.
    No contempt, no animosity from me. Sometimes meanings get lost in translation when this is writen in non-native language causing misundertudings or bad feelings. I have dificulty to writen in English, i use Google Translator to help me and some things come out "rough". And sorry, but "His whole thing is about being a perfectionist" don't make part of my motto or personality. My attempts is only do what i like to hear and watch according to my limited efforts and share it with the people.

  22. #22
    Quote Originally Posted by winkersnufs View Post
    Hello Folks ~

    If my memory serves me, my initial exposure to that documentation was on initial release at a local movie theater. Double bill with Rocky Horror Picture Show. Does that sound correct or even possible?? I was so VERY excited as I had yet to see them live in person. Soon!

    Two things come to mind as I rewatched this (THANKS for posting) How incredibly good they were live, and when shown a few times in the film, just how engaged the audience was and 'listening and soaking it all in'. NICE too.... no gadgetry in the air!

    Memories Indeed
    Carry On
    Chris Buckley

    Yes, indeed. In like 1977, I went to a midnight showing of "White Rock," a documentary on the 1976 winter olympics with a Rick Wakeman soundtrack, plus another unnamed film. When the lights went down, and the film rolled, that unnamed feature was this Genesis Trick of the Tail tour movie. A very pleasant and welcome surprise!!

  23. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by Bruno Sampaio Barbosa View Post
    No contempt, no animosity from me. Sometimes meanings get lost in translation when this is writen in non-native language causing misundertudings or bad feelings. I have dificulty to writen in English, i use Google Translator to help me and some things come out "rough". And sorry, but "His whole thing is about being a perfectionist" don't make part of my motto or personality. My attempts is only do what i like to hear and watch according to my limited efforts and share it with the people.
    OK, thanks for making that clear, let's put this to rest. Again, I appreciate your work - even used a bit from one of your Genesis videos in a talk I did a few days ago in Switzerland. And regarding the "perfectionist" bit, I didn't mean that negatively at all. My impression is that you try to improve the originals in every way possible, certainly the picture quality and sound, if not the speed. Now there may be valid reasons for not wanting to tamper with the speed - potential loss of picture quality being one - but my point was simply to say that, unlike sound or picture quality, about which personal taste may enter the equation, speed is either right or wrong. That's all. End of statement. And thanks again for the hard work.
    Calyx (Canterbury Scene) - http://www.calyx-canterbury.fr
    Legends In Their Own Lunchtime (blog) - https://canterburyscene.wordpress.com/
    My latest books : "Yes" (2017) - https://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/yes/ + "L'Ecole de Canterbury" (2016) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/lecoledecanterbury/ + "King Crimson" (2012/updated 2018) - http://lemotetlereste.com/musiques/kingcrimson/
    Upcoming prog (& beyond) shows in France - http://www.bigbangmag.com/agenda.php

  24. #24
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    10,855
    Bruno - excellent work!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  25. #25
    Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Location
    Waterloo, IA, USA
    Posts
    666
    This is one of my absolute favorite concert videos. As others have pointed out, the band were completely on fire and the material is among their best. This version looks very good, but I'm pretty satisfied with the dvd that came along with the remaster of TotT. I just wish we could eventually see the band footage covered up by the silly movie clips. Regardless, I applaud Bruno's efforts!
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •