Page 4 of 26 FirstFirst 1234567814 ... LastLast

Thread: Bandcamp artist fundraiser Friday, May 1st, with all proceeds going to artists

^^ Pretty much all downloaded music is DRM free these days. When Apple launched iTunes, the RIAA required them to use DRM. Later when the RIAA allowed Amazon to sell MP3s, a format incapable of DRM, it was agreed it was silly for Apple to continue locking their music with DRM. iTunes hasn't used DRM on music since late 2008, early 2009. Video on the other hand is a different story. Pretty much everyone, including Amazon who sell video downloads still use DRM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Can you download your BC albums to your phone a la Spotify (temporarily) if you want? How do I play these albums I have bought in my car via my Samsung?
    Hmm... What kind of phone do you have, Frank? The Bandcamp app (at least the one for iOS) doesn't support downloading songs; it's streaming only. But if you have something other than an iPhone, you may be able to get the files from your PC onto the phone's internal storage.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Hmm... What kind of phone do you have, Frank? The Bandcamp app (at least the one for iOS) doesn't support downloading songs; it's streaming only. But if you have something other than an iPhone, you may be able to get the files from your PC onto the phone's internal storage.
    Tyler - It's a Samsung 9+ (I think). It seems strange that the app can't easily play albums that you have purchased. Honestly, I use Spotify even for albums I have purchased on BC because it's so much easier to D/L and play in my car or on the go.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

I picked up Kit Watkins' latest release. Nice that he made a return to the sound of Azure & Sunstruck on this one. Really enjoyed it.

Just got an email from Shearwater. Apparently Bandcamp is doing this again on Friday May 1. From the Shearwater email:

Dear Friends of Shearwater,

I hope this finds you safe and well, and bearing up under the wild anxiety that COVID-19 has dealt us all.

We're weathering the quarantine out here in central Texas, and working on the new SW album; we'll be diving in more deeply in May.

But in the meantime, we're releasing some more new music, made specifically to help get you through these strange days. Since Bandcamp is waiving their percentage of sales (for one day) on May 1st, we're using the occasion to release a series of ambient recordings called Quarantine Music I-IV.

They're $5 each, or $15 for the complete set — nearly two hours of slow, thoughtful music that ranges from solo piano to elaborate analog-synth soundscapes.

Two have already been released: "Europan Benthic Detritivore" (a few weeks ago) and "Winter Morning Meltdown" (recorded in late 2016). The other two, "Empty Memory Palace" and "Brazen Victory Blues," are brand new.

You'll be able to stream and purchase the Quarantine Music series on our Bandcamp page from May 1.

Thank you, as always, for your support and goodwill, especially in these tough times—and we'll have more news about the new album soon.

All the very best to you and yours -

JM/SW

www.shearwatermusic.com
    www.patreon.com/jonathanmeiburg

^^^^ Great. I will prepare another shopping list for this friday.

I cleared my Bandcamp wishlist last time, so have been looking to rebuild it. One discovery I just had is that Echolyn has a bunch of non-album tracks and other rarities available for purchase. Autobuy for me (on Friday).

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Two new Cuneiforms to be bought this Friday
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    Two new Cuneiforms to be bought this Friday

thank you.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

For those who might be interested...I also got an email from Imaginary Softwoods (John Elliot), letting fans know that his former band Emeralds will launch a Bandcamp presence this Friday including some rarities and things.

I love Imaginary Softwoods and I love Emeralds. My Paypal account is currently stretching and doing warmup exercises.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    What sort of stuff do they play?
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Excellent spacey krauty electronics circa maybe Cluster, Gottschning/Ashra, stuff like that. Hard to pick just one representative tune but here's one I happen to like that skews on the "prettier" side of things:

If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

"But the pandemic and its impact on the music community aren’t over, so on May 1, June 5, and July 3 (the first Friday of each month), we’re waiving our revenue share for all sales on Bandcamp, from midnight to midnight PDT on each day."
    https://daily.bandcamp.com/features/...-19-fundraiser

Last time I ordered 2 CDs from a Spanish artist, and one from a British ex-pat band working in the USA. I could have purchased the Spanish discs from Greg Walker, but wanted to help the band. Because of the pandemic, the 2 CDs from Spain haven't even been sent yet. The British ex-pat is moving back to the UK, and all CD stock is in storage containers. It won't be sent until the dust settles.

Kinda takes the shine off, ya know?

Not particularly, no.

It isn't about how soon you receive the merch, if you order physical merch at all. It's still about where the money goes.

^ I'm well off enough that I could just donate them 10 times what the CDs cost. It's beside the point. It's no way to run a business, and blunts the incentive to participate in the Bandcamp promotion. If you haven't shipped your customer's purchase by now, you're not trying.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Excellent spacey krauty electronics circa maybe Cluster, Gottschning/Ashra, stuff like that. Hard to pick just one representative tune but here's one I happen to like that skews on the "prettier" side of things:

Sounds great. If I may geek out for a moment, that footage is from Soviet-Russian director Dziga Vertov's 1929 silent film Man with a Movie Camera.

"In the British Film Institute's 2012 Sight & Sound poll, film critics voted Man with a Movie Camera the 8th best film ever made. In 2014 Sight & Sound also named it the best documentary of all time". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGYZ5847FiI

This is a great thing. Sadly I wasn’t aware of this earlier today so I ordered both of Kavus Torabis’ solo releases. I could have waited until Friday. However I will look at earlier recommendations for more purchases on friday.

Please consider giving my own band a chance. It’s available both on vinyl and as a download and might be of interest if you enjoy Elder, Magma or Other haunting music.

https://obskyr.bandcamp.com

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by helicase View Post
    "But the pandemic and its impact on the music community aren’t over, so on May 1, June 5, and July 3 (the first Friday of each month), we’re waiving our revenue share for all sales on Bandcamp, from midnight to midnight PDT on each day."
    https://daily.bandcamp.com/features/...-19-fundraiser
    Thanks! I will definitely participate and kudos to Bandcamp!

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    tim berne@screwgub
    ·
    Apr 26
    9donkey’s release party on friday.
    2 solo things.david torn and myself.

These are full figure albums and were treated masterfully by david.
    Graphics are being supplied by the mr. rubato foundation.
    all of this will be on my bandcamp page on friday barring a coffee overdose.

--

david torn@torndavid·
    Apr 26
    fur:
    May 1st.
    solo electric guitar.
    on Bandcamp only.

links to follow soonly!

no animals were harmed..... etc. @ Clavel https://instagram.com/p/B_dT5s-HB28/...d=nmmeo3rigarf
    Who to follow

Was looking at a few things that I was thinking of buying. There's a couple Elliott Sharp things I'm looking, and maybe some Henry Kaiser. A whole lot I can not buy, just two or three things I think I will get.

From 3RDegree:

Hello everyone. This is our first email to you since this Covid-19 took over our lives, thoughts, livelihoods...hair lengths...but I digress.

We hope you are all faring well but obviously many of us are not and our hearts go out to you. This is a time of letting guards down and disposing with formalities so in that spirit we are going to share a few "bootlegs" from our past in the next few months on the first Friday of each month (May 1, June 5 & July 3). These will be concerts recorded in stereo in the audience at each show. While we don't record every show we've done, we do have quite a few in the archives and these releases will be available on just the 24 hours of each day US Pacific time (12am to 12am) and then they will disappear as our better judgement will take over.

Be on the lookout for the first concert from us in this "series" at 3RDegree.Bandcamp.com this Friday! We will send another email specifically about this release on Thursday. These will be available in 16 bit 48khz WAVs/AIFF/FLAC or anything below that size/quality should you be interested. Again, this is something that can be acquired this Friday and Friday only.

Which concerts? We're leaning toward ones that feature songs not heard on many or any of our live DVD/Blu-rays or YouTube videos. We'd like to price these reasonably as well so they will not top $10 per concert nor $1 a song.

-RJP

Dang. I bought two cd's from Matt Duncan at Bandcamp just yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    If you haven't shipped your customer's purchase by now, you're not trying.
    That's unfair by pandemic standards.

I just found out, with no warning, that Wayside can not mail a package to Israel, due to the pandemic.

We are in very uncharted territory.
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Sounds great. If I may geek out for a moment, that footage is from Soviet-Russian director Dziga Vertov's 1929 silent film Man with a Movie Camera.

"In the British Film Institute's 2012 Sight & Sound poll, film critics voted Man with a Movie Camera the 8th best film ever made. In 2014 Sight & Sound also named it the best documentary of all time". https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cGYZ5847FiI
    Yep. Great track, great movie footage. Finger will definitely be twitching over the buy button for this. It reminds me of F*ck Buttons at their best (a good thing, in my book!)

In a similar neck of the musical woods: Weserbergland have a new album out as well: https://weserbergland.bandcamp.com/ Their previous album, Sehr Kosmisch, Ganz Progisch was very good, if slightly self-consciously derivative. The new work sounds like it's much more adventurous!