Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Covid-19 - Listening in isolation together

Covid-19 - Listening in isolation together

Many of us have found ourselves unexpectedly working from, or otherwise spending more time, at home. But at least we can crank up the stereo and listen to some more music. I offer this thread so people can discuss anything they've discovered during this time, or if they want recommendations for what to try, or just to check in and say what they're listening to.

I've got on Starset's Vessels (2017). I got it coz Igor Khoroshev did orchestral arrangements for it!

Henry
    Where Are They Now? Yes news: http://www.bondegezou.co.uk/wh_now.htm
    Blogdegezou, the accompanying blog: http://bondegezou.blogspot.com/

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Played Centipede - Septober Energy for the first time yesterday having seen it reference in Sid's Smiths KC book. Very good, may need to buy it on discogs.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Devin Townsend's "By A Thread" will arrive this afternoon....10 LP's worth! Wow! 20 trips to the turntable today.....a home workout!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

The new 'Shabaka & the Ancestors - We are send here by history' arrived in the mail today. PLaying it a few times in a row now. Its ace.

I do still have tickets to see them at the end of april. Fingers crossed.

I just stumbled across the online archive of Bob Dylan's "Theme Time Radio Hour", the radio show he did for XM Satellite Radio from '06-'09. I'd caught bits and pieces but now, being newly retired and even more newly self-isolated, I've got plenty of time to dig into this. Ol' Zimmy made a helluva DJ.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    In honor of the Big Ears cancellation I've decided to listen to a bunch of The Necks tonight. Starting with Body
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Nice. I still need to hear The Necks.

This afternoon I dusted off some tunes by the German band Lake for the first time in several years. They had some pretty good songs back in the day.

When I need something uplifting, I reach for a healthy dose of Tangerine Dream's Zeit

Perfect isolation, here behind my wall...
    Making Wikipedia marginally more interesting at:
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCul...PXchSo_vDxtcLg

I dug out a bunch of 70's Argentinian prog and a bunch of Prog Folk (including Pererin) to last the week

what I'll be playing in the coming weeks could produce a weeding-out of dead-wood sawing to thin out my shelves.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    The new 'Shabaka & the Ancestors - We are send here by history' arrived in the mail today. PLaying it a few times in a row now. Its ace.

I do still have tickets to see them at the end of april. Fingers crossed.
    I bought it the day it was eleased at a B&M store just before Brussels' lockdown.
    I like it, but TBJ I thin I prefer their first.
    FYI: They'll be playing in Liège's JF in mid- May and Ghent's JF in mid-July
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

I have decided to re-listen to all albums of "Cream". I know it's not prog but it's worth listening nonetheless... :-)
    As for prog, "Phaedra" re-listened at 5.1 continues to impress...

There's building work going on in the flat below mine. This isn't a problem because I'm in the office during the day when it's going on... oh, except now we're all working from home. Oh well. So I've discovered that if I play sufficiently avant-garde music, the loud banging from the works just blends in with the music. :-)

Anyway, I'm now testing out Stevie Wonder's botany-themed prog album.

Henry

Quote Originally Posted by bondegezou View Post

Henry
    What do you think of Secret Life?

I finally got around to listening to that one a year or two ago (on Youtube) because I saw a reference that it was Stevie's Topographic. So it's THAT good? I thought, though the author might not have had high quality in mind when making the comparison! It turned out to be quite a disappointment for me. But maybe I should try again...

EDIT: As for new discoveries from this week I'm very much enjoying Shostakovich: 24 Preludes & Fugues, the Keith Jarrett version.

Playing the Bruford-Borstlap albums today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Yesterday and today I've been listening to Matching Mole. Mainly their first album, but the deluxe 2 CD edition that Esoteric put out with all the cool bonus stuff. Such a great record.

Henry
    Somehow I was oblivious to this. It sounds intriguing!

I bought Secret Life a few weeks ago in a second hand vinyl shop and I really like it. Its a strange mixture of typical Stevie songs, ambient and classically tinged instrumentals with a bit of world music thrown in. I bet fans of his hits were completely perplexed when it came out! Well worth checking out.

Quote Originally Posted by arturs View Post
    What do you think of Secret Life?

I finally got around to listening to that one a year or two ago (on Youtube) because I saw a reference that it was Stevie's Topographic. So it's THAT good? I thought, though the author might not have had high quality in mind when making the comparison! It turned out to be quite a disappointment for me. But maybe I should try again...
    Quote Originally Posted by Morphy65 View Post
    I bought Secret Life a few weeks ago in a second hand vinyl shop and I really like it. Its a strange mixture of typical Stevie songs, ambient and classically tinged instrumentals with a bit of world music thrown in. I bet fans of his hits were completely perplexed when it came out! Well worth checking out.
    It kinda is Stevie Wonder's Topographic Oceans, but it isn't Topographic Oceans. Morphy65 describes it well. I think it's OK: not great, not terrible.

Henry

So it takes a Pandemic to bump the Yes / Genesis Threads down the forum? Who Knew?
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Mostly been playing a lot of Keith Jarrett, some Tangerine Dream and a ton of classical music, mainly Beethoven.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

In isolation with my son and dog listening to 2019 vinyl of Genesis Seconds Out.The sound of perfection….Greetings from Argentina to everyone

Last night was Physical Graffiti, tonight is Fear of Music/Remain in Light. Call it comfort music.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Quote Originally Posted by erosblue View Post
    In isolation with my son and dog listening to 2019 vinyl of Genesis Seconds Out.The sound of perfection….Greetings from Argentina to everyone
    I recently got this, the vinyl sounds massive!
    -noisynoise
    www.polarizedguru.com - 5-piece jazz fusion group
    www.incandescentsky.com - inventive improvisational instrumental ensemble

Many of us have found ourselves unexpectedly working from, or otherwise spending more time, at home. But at least we can crank up the stereo and listen to some more music. I offer this thread so people can discuss anything they've discovered during this time, or if they want recommendations for what to try, or just to check in and say what they're listening to.

I've got on Starset's Vessels (2017). I got it coz Igor Khoroshev did orchestral arrangements for it!

Henry
    I'll have to give that one a listen Henry. Loved Igor's work and have not heard this... I know about his issues but his work with Yes was great, well on the Ladder and live! Open your Eyes was just ok all around.

https://clems6belio.com/album/patience

Found out about this guy/project via a Discord server I lurk on. It’s impressive. Could be on my list for best of 2019, which I still haven’t finalized for myself since I’m still discovering things from that year.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    The new 'Shabaka & the Ancestors - We are sent here by history' arrived in the mail today. PLaying it a few times in a row now. Its ace.
    I am looking forward to hearing this one, I have it on order for delivery next week, but think I’ll stream it today.

I’ve been playing Snarky Puppy’s “Live at the Albert Hall” all week, it is so infectiously cheering, especially the closing guitar solo on Chonks, wonderful stuff!