Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Kavus Torabi - Hip To The Jag

Kavus Torabi - Hip To The Jag

Hi folks.
    Apologies for the spammy nature of this post but these are strange times and I know this will be of interest to some.

My debut solo album, Hip To The Jag, is available to pre-order on 180g vinyl LP, 6 panel digifile CD and download.
    Vinyl and CD pre-orders will receive a signed A5 print of the cover art.

You can hear a song from it here too.

https://kavustorabi.bandcamp.com/album/hip-to-the-jag

CD and LP will also be available from
    Wayside and Burning Shed when released on May 22nd.

Thank you kindly,
    Kavus

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Cool
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Thanks!
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Best news I've read yet today!

The preview song is really good. Will get this.

I'm banged up in my drum for the foreseeable future, so I'll clearly be needing plenty of new music to listen to. And working musicians who can't gig will equally need their audience to support their recordings, I think.
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

Thank you! I wasn’t going to bring ‘that’ up, but I’ve just watched the next two months of Gong/ Steve Hillage work evaporate in front of me and I’m expecting that to extend to...who knows?
    And I’m one of the privileged ones, age-wise.
    I think I will live stream the launch gig for this album from my front room!

I'll certainly buy, and yes I'm interested in any live streaming gigs. Do you play all the instruments on the album? Are Knifeworld on hiatus or is this the normal rhythm of the music making for the band?
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Just pre-ordered the vinyl. Looking forward to it.

Fantastic song! Will order soon!

Regarding Knifeworld, it’s been a mixture of being so busy with Gong and the difficulty of getting eight busy musicians calendars to synchronise.

It comes down to this and economics, Knifeworld requires an awful lot of time and effort for, unfortunately, no monetary recompense. Would that it weren’t so.
    The band started as a sort of solo endeavour but grew into something else. Once we expanded into an octet for The Unravelling, I didn’t want to go back, despite how impractical (from size of van, number of hotel rooms, flights, expenses etc) running a large band is.
    Working with Chloe, Ollie and Josh on the horn arrangements for Bottled Out Of Eden and then hearing them coming through the speakers in the control room of Bob Drake’s studio has been one of the most exhilarating experiences in my life. When we recorded ‘Vision Of The Bent Path’, it’s the first time I ever felt like a ‘proper’ composer.

So yeah, there’s no plan to stop doing it, we’re just on hold at the moment.
    The truth is, I was hoping Knifeworld would become a bit more successful, so that we weren’t all haemorrhaging money every time we did something.
    Nonetheless I have written a lot of music specifically for Knifeworld since the last album and am keen to move forward with it as is everyone else in the band.

This solo record has been the result of about two years work but luckily I have a little studio in my garden and have been able to work pretty intensively on it in between Gong and The Utopia Strong stuff without having to fit that around anyone else’s work schedules. Because I do pretty much everything myself (play/ record/produce/artwork etc.) there are almost no overheads. I can accept gigs at the drop of a hat, rehearse in my studio and travel with my guitar and harmonium pretty easily.

Although, as of the last few days, all of that sounds academic at this point!
    Last edited by Kavus Torabi; 03-16-2020 at 11:12 AM.

So, you beat me to publishing your news, which I guess is appropriate.

For Knifeworld, have you considered a Kickstarter to offset upfront costs?

Quote Originally Posted by doh View Post
    So, you beat me to publishing your news, which I guess is appropriate.

For Knifeworld, have you considered a Kickstarter to offset upfront costs?
    Yeah, it’s been talked about. I still feel a bit funny about crowdfunding. I have yet to cross that line.

Kavus - thanks for the update, not too much of a surprise, I've gotten used to having to be patient on this type of music. I'd love to see you guys again maybe around one of those ABC events. I need to get back to England to see bands. Looking forward to the full solo album, love the first track.
    Ian

The track on bandcamp is great. I will definitely be preordering.

Hell yeah! Ordered. It’s sobering hearing about the financial realities of being a musician today. I guess a thank you isn’t enough, but it’s there all the same.
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Thanks for the H.U. Kavus, really enjoy the bandcamp´s song!.

Pura Vida!
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Congrats Kavus! I really love this. The atmosphere, the beautiful melodies with cool harmonic backdrop, interesting textures and colors, and those vocals! You are getting better and better it seems each time out on the lead vocals and these sound phenomenal. Some much needed art right now - gives me some hope. Can't wait to hear the full deal.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Pre-ordered my silver beermat. Looking forward to it!
    “your ognna pay pay with my wrath of ballbat”

Bandcamp Profile

I only have Gong's "Rejoice I'm Dead" and really dig it. I will definitely be checking out more of your work.

Hello Kavus,

Will this Friday Bandcamp offer of waiving their revenue share apply to a pre-order on your new release?

https://daily.bandcamp.com/features/...APFhyeUkbLq0gM

If so, I'll wait until Friday to do my pre-order for a digital download and kick in just a little extra to help you out.

Quote Originally Posted by the winter tree View Post
    I only have Gong's "Rejoice I'm Dead" and really dig it. I will definitely be checking out more of your work.
    Check out Knifeworld's "In A Foreign Way." Great, great song, and maybe the coolest video ever.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Check out Knifeworld's "In A Foreign Way." Great, great song, and maybe the coolest video ever.

Yep, agree!!

Hi. I’d just like to say thanks for the kind words and the continued support.
    I’m really looking forward to you hearing the album.

Quote Originally Posted by nsmith1002 View Post

Will this Friday Bandcamp offer of waiving their revenue share apply to a pre-order on your new release?

https://daily.bandcamp.com/features/...APFhyeUkbLq0gM
    It looks like it does apply, so that’s terrific news.
    In light of this, on Friday I’ll also be releasing a ‘pay what you like’ download of a tune that I excluded from Hip To The Jag because I couldn’t sequence it with the flow of the album.
    Watch this space...
    X

Ok, I'm ordering Friday then, with a bunch of other stuff.
    Ian

Quote Originally Posted by Kavus Torabi View Post
    Hi. I’d just like to say thanks for the kind words and the continued support.
    I’m really looking forward to you hearing the album.

It looks like it does apply, so that’s terrific news.
    In light of this, on Friday I’ll also be releasing a ‘pay what you like’ download of a tune that I excluded from Hip To The Jag because I couldn’t sequence it with the flow of the album.
    Watch this space...
    X
    Oh, thank you so much Kavus!