Thread: RIP Genesis Breyer P-Orridge (Throbbing Gristle)

RIP Genesis Breyer P-Orridge (Throbbing Gristle)

If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

RIP !

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Rest in peace, and thanks for all the great music!
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Dear friends, family and loving supporters,

It is with very heavy hearts that we announce thee passing of our beloved father, Genesis Breyer P-Orridge.

S/he had been battling leukemia for two and a half years and dropped he/r body early this morning, Saturday March 14th, 2020.

S/he will be laid to rest with h/er other half, Jaqueline “Lady Jaye” Breyer who left us in 2007, where they will be re-united.

Thank you for your love and support and for respecting our privacy as we are grieving.

Caresse & Genesse P-Orridge
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Wow, I was just listening to "Heathen Earth" this morning because of the logo on the back cover: "Can the world be as sad as it seems?"

Followed h/er own muse for sure.

Oh, shit.

He/she/it/whe was surely a phenomenon of immaculate inspiration. I only kept Heathen Earth, and it's not really that excitingly listenable - yet it's the most immediately rewarding Gristle live recording I've heard. They truly made an art from out of being wholly (musically) tedious and negatively amateurish, I'd say - which was always the naively nihilist point to begin with.
    "Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

For a non-musician he sure left a hell of a lot of great albums. From TG to PTV to Splinter Test and Thee Majesty and his time with Pigface and collaborations with White Stains, Z’Ev and XKP. I met him a few times and he was always friendly and once even had my wife and I run the recording equipment for one of Thee Majesty’s gigs - ever true to the amateur ethic.
    He was no saint - as many will attest - but he did leave some heavenly music.
    Cancer is a cunt.

From the mid 70s and up to the late 80s he was on the front-end of innovation. Controversially of course, but with some extremely rewarding offerings.

His best recordings i.m.o. are:

with Throbbing Gristle
    Music From The Death Factory
    20 Jazz Funk Greats
    Heathen Earth
    In The Shadow Of The Sun
    Journey Through A Body

with Psychic TV
    Force The Hand Of Chance
    Dreams Less Sweet
    A Pagan Day
    Kondole - Ov Dolphins And Whales
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

I still have the remastered CD of "20 Jazz Funk Greats"; used to have the previous album "DOA/Third & Final Report". Good stuff. Was mainly interested in the electronic aspect of their music.

Only have heard DOA/Third & Final Report. The album, especially Hamburger Lady exposed something unique...it's tranquil, but terrifying. Any kid stuck in a dark room while it was playing would likely be permanently altered by it. Certain Faust, Can, Robert Wyatt and some later industrial tracks might come close at times, can't help thinking that Throbbing Gristle made their own world. Seems like a small minority of artists manage to do that.