Thread: RIP Charles Wuorinen

Banned

RIP Charles Wuorinen

RIP modern classical composer Charles Wuorinen. Xenaxis or Babbit fans might be interested in his work. He never gained much traction it seems but as a very young man he was able to write complex orchestral arrangements and always followed his own muse. He won a Pulitzer Prize 50 years ago and was very prolific. I’ve only scratched the surface but this seems to me difficult and often dissonant music influenced by the 12-tone approach of Schoenberg.

Anyone know his work and have any thoughts or recommendations?

He was really my first introduction to a living classical composer. The college where I got my B.M. was where his oratorio The Celestial Sphere and the associated orchestral suite were premiered in 1980. That was three years before i got there, but the faculty member who was responsible for the connection was my theory professor, and Wuorinen came to visit campus at least once while I was there. We studied some of his music in class; it was dense, but still accessible, and I remember him as being very personable. I should revisit his work.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I’m not familiar with his works. Sorry to hear of his passing. I will check out his music to see if it’s for me or not. Many modern day composers aren’t for me but there are some that designate with me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RIP I've been aware of Wuorinen for many years but I've listened to just a few pieces including his electronic work, Time's Encomium.

I bought this half a century ago and still have it. Nonesuch records, natch.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

One of my favorite composers.

His passing will go largely unnoticed, even by classical music fans. But to me, he was a giant.
    And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

A brilliant composer for sure. My favourite piece of his, interestingly, is his Reliquary for Igor Stravinsky - built from uncompleted Stravinsky sketches. Simply gorgeous. Very much Igor (and quite reverential) while also being wholly Wuorinen. Highly recommended.
    And the code is a play, a play is a song, a song is a film, a film is a dance...

Quote Originally Posted by Polypet View Post
    A brilliant composer for sure. My favourite piece of his, interestingly, is his Reliquary for Igor Stravinsky - built from uncompleted Stravinsky sketches. Simply gorgeous. Very much Igor (and quite reverential) while also being wholly Wuorinen. Highly recommended.
    I just listened to that piece the other day. It sounded very good! Also his horn trio is a great piece. It's on a Naxos CD. I'd also recommend his piano quintet available on a Koch CD in addition to his percussion quartet and two other pieces.

Banned
    Thanks for the recommendations gentlemen

His piano concertos stand out for me, but there are so many great pieces.

This is the 4th.

And if there were a god, I think it very unlikely that he would have such an uneasy vanity as to be offended by those who doubt His existence - Russell

Will give that a listen, Simon. The 3rd piano concerto is uploaded in the classical thread.

I read his book, “Simple Composition” in college. This lead me to discovering and enjoying his music.

https://www.boosey.com/shop/prod/Wuo...osition/716249

Wow! I was just thinking of him the other day. When I was starving for any electronic music in the early 70s I came across Times Encomium. I was befuddled and entralled. It wasn't Tangerine Dream. The fact that anyone got something out of that RCA Mark II Synthesizer is amazing. I still have the original vinyl.

Sorry to read it. His nephew was my high school math teacher.