Thread: Rutherford 12String/Bass Doubleneck Question

Rutherford 12String/Bass Doubleneck Question

Does anyone know what songs MR used his Rick 12/4 Dounbleneck on (live)?

I assume Firth of Fifth, Dance of a Volcano/Los Endos.

Probably Squonk (Double Drop D tuning??)

In that Quiet Earth?

Hogweed and Salmacis is all bass, right.

Supper’s Ready he switched from acoustic 12 to Doubleneck for Apocalypse through ending.
    Cinema Show he switch from Acoustic (with the cool alt tuning) and then to the Doubleneck
    Musical Box - I think he used the electric 12 Rick in the F# minor tuning throughout
    Lamb was the Microfrets Baritone / 12 (was the 12 in Double Drop D tuning?)

Probably a good idea for me to re-watch the Gabriel vids. Collins vids and Musical Box.

Would love confirmations of his tunings too.

I’d ask MR but even he doesn’t remember the tunings and had to ask Daryl in the past after long hiatuses between tours.

Why don't you just ask Daryl directly? He'd be in the best position to know.

By the way, I really look forward to hearing some new music from you. That Ad Infinitum album is a real gem in my collection!

The Ric double neck was gone by the time of Squonk. The Ric was followed by a Microfrets and one other with 6 string bass necks (presumably tuned EADGBE one octave down from a guitar). Then came the Shergold, a Status, and a Yamaha with a Gibson guitar neck.

As far as what songs, there are others more qualified than me to answer that.

I'm pretty sure he's playing guitar at the end of Supper's Ready while Hackett is doing his solo. Don't know if its 6 or 12 string but I'd guess he was using a doubleneck live to switch quickly.

Thanks for the thumbs up on Ad Infinitum. I've been working on the follow up or 20 years. I have all music either in Logic or in my head (fumbling and bungling) but rael life - baby, divorce, supporting two families including two awesome step daughters, commuting into NYC 90 minutes check way to a law job, my ex-wife suing me an alienating my son (I won the case $50,000 and 4 years later) sort of took its toll.

I will finish that sucker and just post it on free download. I now have the time, lots of meds, and energy (thank u Adderall!).

TMI but I'm sure many on this forum feel the same frustration of just finding time and energy to be creative, especially when you just turned 55.

Out of the above six MR pics, I have the Rick 12/4 that I received yesterday built by a luthier Larry Davis who took my real Rick 625 12 and 4003 and built it for me.

I have a Shergold 12/4 but without the modular portion - no idea how I found that.

I have a 12/6 Steinberger - probably an Ed Roman built gtr with All original Steinberger parts and a Steinberger 12/6.
    Attached Images Attached Images

FWIW: Here's a photo I took a year ago at the Rock Hall in Cleveland where surprisingly, Rutherford's double-neck (circa SEBTP) was on display after their induction.

Rutherford-double-neck-guitar.jpg

He used the doublenecks for the majority of the material that was played live circa 1973-1977, judging from the video footage I've seen. Even if he needed just one or the other instrument for a given song, he still used the doubleneck du jour. The exceptions to this are:

The Musical Box, when it was still being played in it's entirety, on the Selling England By The Pound tour, where he'd strap on a conventional Rickenbacker electric 12 string.

I Know What I Like, on the W&W tour, he used a Hagstrom 8 string bass. There's a photo from such a performance inside the gatefold of Second's Out.

And whichever songs he used acoustics on, e.g. Entangled, White Mountain, the first part of Supper's Ready (switching to the doubleneck just before Willow Farm, and yes, he's playing electric rhythm guitar on Apocalypse in 9/8 and As Sure As Eggs Is Eggs), the first part of Cinema Show, etc.

On the ...And Then There Were Three and Duke tours, he seems to have used the doubleneck for all the songs where he played bass, again, even if he didn't actually need to switch off to guitar at some point. By this time he's switching between the doubleneck and various six string electrics for the new songs. During the Duke suite, he alternated between four different guitars. And on Ripples, he and Daryl both played 12 string acoustic, with Daryl switching to his Strat style guitar that he was using at the time (a Suntech, I believe it was called) and Mike to the Roland GR-500 guitar synth for the middle section and ride out choruses.

And on Say It's Alright Joe, he's playing one of the custom Shergold 12 string guitars that were made for the modular doubleneck, but he's using it as a single neck instrument (Shergold made him...oh I don't know what to call them, but one he could be fitted onto the bottom of the guitar necks, and the other could be fitted onto the top of the bass, so that each one could be used a single neck instrument.

By the time of the Abacab and Mama tours, the doublenecks were relegated to just the medleys, I think. And on the Three Sides Live video, I believe he has the six string neck on the Shergold. The Strata doubleneck he used on the Mama tour had a six string neck, also. Abacab was, I believe, the first tour since the Foxtrot days, that he actually brought a conventional single neck bass on tour, in this case an Alembic, I think.

After the Mama Tour, he didn't come back to using a doubleneck again until 2007, which I think was cobbled together from a Yamaha bass and the 12 string neck from a Gibson EDS-1275. There used it on the two medleys they played.

Quote Originally Posted by Adinfinitum View Post
    Thanks for the thumbs up on Ad Infinitum. I've been working on the follow up or 20 years. I have all music either in Logic or in my head (fumbling and bungling) but rael life - baby, divorce, supporting two families including two awesome step daughters, commuting into NYC 90 minutes check way to a law job, my ex-wife suing me an alienating my son (I won the case $50,000 and 4 years later) sort of took its toll.

I will finish that sucker and just post it on free download. I now have the time, lots of meds, and energy (thank u Adderall!).

TMI but I'm sure many on this forum feel the same frustration of just finding time and energy to be creative, especially when you just turned 55.
    I am looking forward to hearing it!

Bandcamp would be a great place to post it. You can post 24 bit master files. Then people who care about sound quality can hear it in hi res, and those who don't can choose the mp3 option.

The 12 string bass Tom Petersson of Cheap Trick uses is a little different. It's more like an 8 string bass, but the strings are in triplets rather than in pairs.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama