Page 27 of 235 FirstFirst ... 172324252627282930313777127 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    At this point we don't even care other than if it's not Corona, we would still have to worry about getting it. Now that would suck!
    I’m so sorry you’re going through this, Scott. And it makes me so angry to hear about these stories of people who are sick not getting tests. I hope everything turns out well for you and your family.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    The dissemination of information about the subject has been hampered by incompetent and dishonest political leadership. It is NOT akin to religious sermonizing because this criticism is based on fact not faith. I guess if you were on a ship and the captain was steering towards an iceberg you would accuse those clamoring for his replacement as shamelessly playing politics at a critical time?
    So go yell at the captain then. Bitching to us won’t help.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    That is frightening reading. I think our governments (UK and US) may have been downplaying the severity in an attempt to bolster morale, but it is leading to complacency in behaviour. We all need to take this far more seriously.
    I agree. In the US, the government cares little about our morale, seeing reelection as the priority. Fewer living voters and lower turnout favors one party over the other. Campaigning for president starts the day after the previous presidential election. It's less than ideal, and somewhat ghoulish.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    I mentioned a while back about my brother in law coming in contact with people at his work who tested positive and he got real sick. Been waiting on his test results for 5 days now and were told 3..."backed up" being the response. The testing system is a shitshow and no help to us at all. Since we were all in contact with him, my whole family has been sick. Biggest worry being my Dad who is 78. Been sick since Sunday. Cough, up and down fever, very tired. He was tested Friday, but at this rate we'll expect those results in June. I had a real bad fever for a couple days and a little coughing, headache...uncomfortable as hell but manageable. This thing spread to everyone in my family like a wildfire...amazingly fast! All of us (though my dad is still strugglin a bit) seem to be slowly getting better. Dealt with it on our own. The only help being Tylenol. We'll see what it is eventually. At this point we don't even care other than if it's not Corona, we would still have to worry about getting it. Now that would suck!
    That sucks, hope everyone in your family gets through this ok.
    The thing I've been able to sort through with this is, if you do get the symptoms and are unable to get tested, self quarantine and self medicate as you would with the flu. Hyrdrate a lot, Tylenol, rest, otc cough and decongestants, and for most you will recover(and again, don't go anywhere or expose anyone else during the 14 days). If people develop breathing problems, then emergency hospitalization is most likely required, so get help immediately.
    Unfortunately for those with compromised immune systems, respiratory problems, addictive life styles and overall poor health, it may prove fatal.
    It seems, keeping isolated and not exposing anyone else is the best thing we can do.

Our local CBS News affiliate in Tampa has a terrific interaction map where you can click on your county to check out updated statistics in your county. They probably have one for each local affiliate in your area. It's the only station I've seen doing this, but didn't check them all.
    It's very informative to keep you updated on the virus' progress in the area.
    For instance here is ours:

Pinellas County, Florida

CASE DATA FOR PINELLAS

Total Cases: 30

Residents: 29

Residents Not in Florida: 0

Non-Residents: 1

Demographics of Cases

Age Range: 21 to 72

Average Age: 52

Men: 19

Women: 11

Conditions and Care

Deaths: 0

Hospitaliztions: 6

Case Designations

Travel-Related: 21

Not Travel-Related: 8

Travel Unknown: 1
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Quote Originally Posted by GuitarGeek View Post
    Well, I've been informed that "technically" I'm being terminated from my job, but I'll get it back when this nightmare is over. I have absolutely no idea if I'm gonna be able to get unemployment benefits and everything's just frelled up. My dad is in the hospital to have his gall bladder removed, that means I'm the only person at home to take care of my mother (who has dementia), so I can't go look for work, in the event that I can't get on unemployment.
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    As long as you didn't quit you should be able to draw unemployment compensation, at least that's the case in other states.
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Chris, you should be able to get unemployment. Apply right away, like yesterday. Also, don’t be afraid to ask around to find out how someone can help support you taking care of your mother. There should be local resources that can help. Even if not, try joining Nextdoor or some FB group in your neighborhood, explain your situation, and ask for advice. You might be amazed at what might happen. Stay strong!
    Chris, you may want to check if your termination is abusive or not. And sue if you deem it necessary.

Such case of Force Majeure is probably not enough a good reason to lay off people.

In Continental Europe, it would be the case, anyways.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    As long as you didn't quit you should be able to draw unemployment compensation, at least that's the case in other states.
    Yeah, I know. Supposedly, Ohio was supposed to waive the "seeking work" requirement (damn, now I'm thinking about that scene in History Of The World Part One: "Did you bullshit last week?"), but I'm not sure how that's working out. Someone told me, all you have to do is put in applications at two places each week, as far as "job seeking" goes. I should be able to do that online. My manager is supposed to e-mail a memo, I think is how she described it, which I guess should have some info that will help in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Chris, you may want to check if your termination is abusive or not. And sue if you deem it necessary.

Such case of Force Majeure is probably not enough a good reason to lay off people.

In Continental Europe, it would be the case, anyways.
    I'm not sure what you mean by "abusive", I think our company (and a lot of others) are laying off everyone who isn't essential to running the carry out/delivery side of the business, which is all we're allowed ot have open at the moment.

And yes, I applied for unemployment compensation last week, as soon as I saw that Governor DeWine had ordered all restaurants to be closed. And I did a second fililng just a couple hours ago. I'm just trying to figure out how to shore up my case, so I do get compensation.

Italian virologist says political correctness doomed his country's coronavirus response

https://www.theblaze.com/news/italy_...&ts=1584842715

Florence even launched a 'Hug a Chinese' Day initiative after Trump announced China travel restrictions

Banned
    So go yell at the captain then. Bitching to us won’t help.
    Sorry I do not take your point. That’s a flippant remark incommensurate with seriousness of the situation. I fully stand by my considered response and do not think it inappropriate in any way whatsoever. Quite the opposite. Rest assured I will do my best to “yell at the captain”. I actually get involved not just “bitch” on Internet forums as you would have it.

Chris, you should be able to get unemployment. Apply right away, like yesterday. Also, don’t be afraid to ask around to find out how someone can help support you taking care of your mother. There should be local resources that can help. Even if not, try joining Nextdoor or some FB group in your neighborhood, explain your situation, and ask for advice. You might be amazed at what might happen. Stay strong!
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've already applied for compensation, started on that last Sunday, right after I learned Governor DeWine ordered all the restaurants closed. I'm just nervous about whether or not this is gonna work out the way I want it to. I realize it takes awhile to get things in order where you're dealing with bureaucracy, but it's just aggravating not knowing what's going on.

And yeah, I've been considering seeing if I can't find someone doing volunteer work who might be able to wtih my mom and probably my dad, once he gets out of the hospital. It's just a really frustrating situation, between the two things.

It's just a really frustrating situation, between the two things.
    I can only imagine. For now, I would feel confident at least in the unemployment money as well as the stimulus check you're likely to receive. That should help. I think given the situation, most states will likely not make people prove they are looking for work, as that wouldn't make much sense.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Joni Mitchell must be freaking the hell out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    That is frightening reading. I think our governments (UK and US) may have been downplaying the severity in an attempt to bolster morale, but it is leading to complacency in behaviour. We all need to take this far more seriously.
    They downplayed it so the public didn't do what the Republican Senators did. They didn't want people running out selling stocks and raiding the banks. They put saving the economy ahead of saving lives.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Banned
    Thanks for the suggestions. I've already applied for compensation, started on that last Sunday, right after I learned Governor DeWine ordered all the restaurants closed. I'm just nervous about whether or not this is gonna work out the way I want it to. I realize it takes awhile to get things in order where you're dealing with bureaucracy, but it's just aggravating not knowing what's going on.

And yeah, I've been considering seeing if I can't find someone doing volunteer work who might be able to wtih my mom and probably my dad, once he gets out of the hospital. It's just a really frustrating situation, between the two things.
    Keep in mind as governments react to the true nature of this situation we all hope they will step up to help provide the needed services. It appears steps in that direction are being taken where you are. I don’t know the exact situation of you or your parents, but the information below may be applicable now or in the near future. Hang in there!

Ohio Unemployment Expansions Amidst COVID-19 Crisis:
    https://www.natlawreview.com/article...d-19-crisis-us

Ohio seeks to help its most vulnerable citizens during coronavirus crisis:
    https://www.dispatch.com/news/202003...virus-crisis/1

“Soldiers will be delivering food to vulnerable populations at home and assisting the food banks in many other ways. The soldiers will assist in distributing food in Allen, Butler, Clark, Cuyahoga, Franklin, Hamilton, Hocking, Lorain, Lucas, Mahoning, Montgomery and Summit counties.”

Thanks for the suggestions. I've already applied for compensation, started on that last Sunday, right after I learned Governor DeWine ordered all the restaurants closed.
    You're not alone. Most restaurants/bars/etc. around me laid off their staffs immediately, the rationale being it'll be better for them to get into the queue for state unemployment benefits ASAP rather than hang on with an uncertain (but inevitable) future.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

I'm not sure what you mean by "abusive", I think our company (and a lot of others) are laying off everyone who isn't essential to running the carry out/delivery side of the business, which is all we're allowed ot have open at the moment. .

Abusive as illegal....
    Massive laying off (if legal) are generally framed by the law (at least in Europe) and must be done with severence or compensation indemnities.

In most European countries, the worker are put temporarily on the dole but still bound by their contract and expected to return to their jobs once the crisis is over.

There are:
    - Technical unemployement: usually force majeure >> snow storm, earthquakes, floods , pandemies, etc... >> +/- 70%of the salary until return to normal
    - Economical unemployement - when simply not enough work for your trained workforce, but the boss doesn't want to lose them. You give them work for one week per month and the Gv't pays the workers the other three weeks staying at home, but theoretically they should not look elsewhere for the first few months.
    Last edited by Trane; 03-22-2020 at 12:53 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Abusive as illegal.... Massive laying off (if legal) are generally framed by the law (at least in Europe) and must be done with severence or compensation indemnities.
    Most of the states in the U.S. have are "right to work" states. Loosely translated, your employer can pretty much fire you or lay off for any reason (besides discrimination).

The restaurant industry had little choice but to lay off in masses given the circumstances. They are now in the process of offering businesses hardship loans to stay on their feet. But one of the concerns is that they want to make sure that employees are using the money to keep staff and make payroll (of course for many businesses, they have already laid people off).

However with restaurants, there is the added dimension of social distancing and people preparing your food. That will keep many people away even after they are allowed to go back.

Good advice

Because unemployed people can afford lawyers. First thing to do in such a case is contact the Department of Labor, Wage and Hour Division. They can act on your behalf before worrying about hiring a lawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Italian virologist says political correctness doomed his country's coronavirus response

https://www.theblaze.com/news/italy_...&ts=1584842715

Florence even launched a 'Hug a Chinese' Day initiative after Trump announced China travel restrictions
    The Blaze? Seriously?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Most of the states in the U.S. have are "right to work" states. Loosely translated, your employer can pretty much fire you or lay off for any reason (besides discrimination).
    Just over half of the states and Ohio is not one of them.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Thanks for the correction.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Sorry I do not take your point.
    No one is saying don't speak truth to power. I'm saying don't preach to the choir. The owner of this church doesn't allow it anyway.

Abusive as illegal....
    Massive laying off (if legal) are generally framed by the law (at least in Europe) and must be done with severence or compensation indemnities.

In most European countries, the worker are put temporarily on the dole but still bound by their contract and expected to return to their jobs once the crisis is over.

There are:
    - Technical unemployement: usually force majeure >> snow storm, earthquakes, floods , pandemies, etc... >> +/- 70%of the salary until return to normal
    - Economical unemployement - when simply not enough work for your trained workforce, but the boss doesn't want to lose them. You give them work for one week per month and the Gv't pays the workers the other three weeks staying at home, but theoretically they should not look elsewhere for the first few months.

Yeah, in theory, I should be able to get unemployment. The thing is, I saw on the news the other day that there's been a 3000% increase in unemployment claims in Ohio since Governor DeWine issued his restaurant closure mandate. So who's gonna pay for all that unemployment? My understanding is the company you work for is supposed to pay unemployment, but I work for a company that has restaurants all over the state (and in fact most of the US, I believe) so they've got who knows how many thousands of employees who are trying to squeeze money out of them at the exact same time. How's that supposed to work?

re: "Right to work"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I always thought Ohio was a "right to work" state.

Banned
    FWIW, Just got off the phone with my wife’s parents who were here a few weeks ago and now back home in Lebanon. They are freaking out. I spent a good 30 minutes talking my mother-in-law down from the ledge. They are not in good health. Needless to say there are no services or systematic response, the country was in near-crisis before this happened. They are now getting everything, food, supplies & medicine delivered to their home at the insistence of all of us in the family. They are one of the lucky ones. As others have stated and from anecdotal reports of what is going on in Lebanon, I too am very concerned how this plays out in poorer parts of the world.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Sirius XM just played “The Waiting” (is the Hardest Part). Ha-ha.