Page 23 of 235 FirstFirst ... 131920212223242526273373123 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I asked my regular UPS guy why he was always running from and back to the truck. He told me they installed timers in every truck and they monitor how long they take at each spot.
    Sure enough I greeted him at the truck as he stopped and I could hear the clicking of the timer.
    I had a guy deliver a package from DPD in the UK today - I came out to meet him as he came out his van - & he had to pause - as he told me..."8 seconds early". Eight. Seconds. Early.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Not if someone brings in their pet bat.
    That's the Lugosi-virus.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    That's the Lugosi-virus.
    It's been speculated that Covid-19 was transferred from bats to humans.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I've continued to work during this crisis given that my job is linked with the infrastructure and that job takes me all over the upper pacific northwest. I'm a bit perturbed to report many people have been roundly ignoring the social distancing protocol. It's been sunny and relatively warm for the first time in months and I have seen crowds of people at parks, the lake and on trails. And there is resentment among college age kids here that their lives have been disrupted for something that "doesn't affect us". They have a nickname for CV19 - 'boomer remover'.
    That is one of the most callous and insensitive things to make a joke about. Most of those who succumb to the virus are someone's parent, grandparent or great grandparent to these kids.

I really hope it's not indicative of the attitude of a whole generation, if so that's pretty damn sad.
    Well it's definitely a sizeable part of that new generation that definitely thinks that (but not those twerps on the beach). Despite our generation breaking down the rules in the late 60's, a big part of today's youth (under 25) that has a conscience about the bleak future (pollution and climate warming) and they're not happy with our generation's overall ecological balance-sheet (which I can't blame them).

But then again did we have more respect for our parents & GP in the late 60's when we did "our revolution"?
    We were "lucky enough" that the 90's generation was totally apathic and hooked on consumerism the way they were.
    Please note that whatever I say doesn't apply to the majority of the upcoming generation, including the college/uni kids (those idiots on the beach) who are well on their way to try and maintain (and increase if possible) their standards of living.

Planned/programmed degrowth is not even an option for the huge majority of those stupid brats, but then again, it's also not in the minds of most of our generation either. Every year, the occident (whatever that is) is consuming all the planet's renewable resources a few days earlier than the previous year (we're down to late March) for the planet to remain sustainable and even "liveable".

In other words, if we managed to make our western demovracies more enjoyable by breaking those thight social traditions& chains, the ideals of the hippy generation (I mean those who actually went ahead and really tried the concepts they dreamed of) haven't been respected. I dare say that if 70% of our generation had been more loyal to our ideals, the planet would be in a very different (much better) state than it is nowaday.

So, yeah, for some of these kids, the sooner the boomers will exit the planet, the better.... But the problem is that some of the boomers' parents are still alive, emptying all of the pensions and health care plans by living into the 90's with therapeutic obstinacy,
    Last edited by Trane; 03-20-2020 at 11:39 AM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Tractor and some vodka: President Lukashenka’s formula for combatting coronavirus

https://belsat.eu/en/news/tractor-an...g-coronavirus/
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 03-20-2020 at 02:35 PM.

A small corner of the debate in Sweden. This guy does not like the way Sweden is handling the problem.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yS1w...ature=youtu.be

The Guardian recently described Sweden as a role model for Britain, and the rest of Europe. Is this true? Well, they're certainly excelling at something! Make sure to watch until the end, and thy will be rewarded with a cookie of slavic wisdom!

Context: Angry Foreigner is a comedian and satirist, born in former Yugoslavia and active in Sweden. The edgelord of edgelords believes in summoning human potential through provoking thought, and always aims to push the edge in his rants on diverse hypocrisies. Truth, love and critical thinking are proposed as the cure. The point of approaching serious topics with humor is to make it easier to digest, and give people the patience to bear with not-always-the-happiest-information. There is plenty of hope in the form of individual potential and I trust people to be thinking, reasoning and mature. Not the lowest possible expectation one could have of ourselves. People inherently reflect each other and on this channel I'm just reacting to our era in sincere, brutally honest, typically slavic fasion.

This virus is similar to SARS, and was likely emergent from a bat vector through the animal markets in China, potentially involving the rare pangolin. DNA typing has shown significant similarity to SARS, also a bat virus. Bats harbor one hell of a lot of viral loads- we need to study why they do not get ill (bats are also believed to be the natural reservoir for Ebola).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/32104911
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Well it's definitely a sizeable part of that new generation that definitely thinks that (but not those twerps on the beach). Despite our generation breaking down the rules in the late 60's, a big part of today's youth (under 25) that has a conscience about the bleak future (pollution and climate warming) and they're not happy with our generation's overall ecological balance-sheet (which I can't blame them).

But then again did we have more respect for our parents & GP in the late 60's when we did "our revolution"?
    We were "lucky enough" that the 90's generation was totally apathic and hooked on consumerism the way they were.
    Please note that whatever I say doesn't apply to the majority of the upcoming generation, including the college/uni kids (those idiots on the beach) who are well on their way to try and maintain (and increase if possible) their standards of living.

Planned/programmed degrowth is not even an option for the huge majority of those stupid brats, but then again, it's also not in the minds of most of our generation either. Every year, the occident (whatever that is) is consuming all the planet's renewable resources a few days earlier than the previous year (we're down to late March) for the planet to remain sustainable and even "liveable".

In other words, if we managed to make our western demovracies more enjoyable by breaking those thight social traditions& chains, the ideals of the hippy generation (I mean those who actually went ahead and really tried the concepts they dreamed of) haven't been respected. I dare say that if 70% of our generation had been more loyal to our ideals, the planet would be in a very different (much better) state than it is nowaday.

So, yeah, for some of these kids, the sooner the boomers will exit the planet, the better.... But the problem is that some of the boomers' parents are still alive, emptying all of the pensions and health care plans by living into the 90's with therapeutic obstinacy,
    Wow, thanks for such a detailed observation, I enjoyed the read very much.

I find it rather hypocritical a generation would favor vegetarianism(I am one since 1970) and turn around and wish death on humans, an entire generation.
    A refresher course might be in order on what generation pushed forward equal rights, environmental causes, embraced vegetarianism, animal rights, recycling, no nukes, stopped a war in Vietnam, etc.
    Many things that have not only become part of our culture, but legislation as well.
    Sorry kids, these ideas aren't yours and you're nothing special as this has all been visited before.

It will be interesting to see how their snobbish morality holds up when real life kicks them in the ass when they have kids, have to work to support them, get a house, pay off tuition(oh wait, aren't they asking for debt forgiveness?).

Don't get me wrong, I see a lot of positives from them as well.

I don't want to eat up too much space on this thread with this, because the original Topic is very important.
    I just wanted to address a few things in response.

Sean, I will be happy to delete this if you feel it's not the right place for this.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

So New York is shut down as of this coming Sunday night. What does that mean for grocery shopping (serious question)?
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    So New York is shut down as of this coming Sunday night. What does that mean for grocery shopping (serious question)?
    Let them eat Zappa.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    It was initially believed the virus came from snakes. But a research paper by a team of virologists at the Wuhan Institute for Virology suggests that the coronavirus more likely came from bats, which was also the source of the SARS outbreak. But why all the sudden now. Then it said do you want to download the FOX APP then I started laughing and wondered if this was just a hoax by the garlic industry.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I read up on some info when I woke up this morning to read California is in shutdown.
    The question about grocery shopping or essentials, and although the description was vague, it appeared those things would be accessible.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

I read up on some info when I woke up this morning to read California is in shutdown.
    The question about grocery shopping or essentials, and although the description was vague, it appeared those things would be accessible.
    I think that's correct. Essentials are to remain open to the public, if I understand it correctly. But places like restaurants, bars/pubs, coffee shops, (i.e. places where people can sit or lounge around, making spread of the virus more likely) are what's being closed to the public. Alabama is doing the same thing now, until April 5.

UK Chancellor, having announced massive fiscal support for businesses earlier in the week, this evening announces huge investment to support workers, employees & those reliant on Universal Credit. The message, repeated more than once - we've stood by you business owners, so you won't go bust; now it's up to you to stand by the workers.

Extraordinary messages from Tory politicians.

And the Prime Minister's sign off line - implied a recognition that the post-2008 crash bailouts were too skewed to big business, to the detriment of ordinary citizens.

The Chancellor saying that, when we look back on these times, he hopes that what we will remember the most is the compassion that we showed to one another.

They want corporate bailouts? Then let's add a few rules:

1. Companies must maintain their payrolls and use funds to keep people working or on payroll.
    2. Companies must provide a livable minimum wage within one year of the national emergency declaration ending.
    3. Companies are permanently prohibited from engaging in share repurchases.
    4. Companies are prohibited from paying out dividends or executive bonuses while they are receiving any relief and for three years thereafter.
    5. Companies must set aside at least one seat – but potentially two or more, as the amount of relief increases – on the board of directors for representatives elected by workers.
    6. Collective bargaining agreements should remain in place and should not be reopened or renegotiated pursuant to this relief program.
    7. Corporations must obtain shareholder and board approval for all political expenditures.
    8. CEOs must be required to personally certify a company is in compliance and face criminal penalties for false certifications.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

At the end of the day, its the tax payer who is paying for it, that's all of us. I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, it must be done but how the hell are we going to pay for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Steve983 View Post
    At the end of the day, its the tax payer who is paying for it, that's all of us. I'm not saying it shouldn't be done, it must be done but how the hell are we going to pay for it?
    I agree with the measures but like you say, where is the money coming from? Weren't we in a pickle anyway?

This bailout service is obviously going to vary greatly from country to country. If the US does it, its most likely going to be done differently compared to the UK. Here in the US, I hope they do consider helping small business owners out on this. And who deems a business "essential" or not? Are HVAC companies essential since they keep refrigeration working for hospitals, etc?

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Hey moderators, as we find out about concerts being livestreamed (due to Covid-19) where's the best place to post info? I've already got one to post, and I know more are coming soon and for the time being.

It'd be nice to let people see a subject line mentioning a show, but it would also be nice to have them grouped in one place.

Here's the one I've got:

Consider The Source Livestream Concert, Sat. March 28, 8pm, $10 suggested donation

Greetings Sourceror,

These are surely strange times we find ourselves in. As you may have heard, we have been forced to cancel our tour dates for the foreseeable future. The tour was off to an incredible start and we thank everyone who came but would have loved to perform for so many more of you.

In an effort to make the best of tough times, we have teamed up with Weird Fish Productions to stream a FULL PRODUCTION CONCERT on Saturday, March 28th as part of their “Stay At Home” live series. We’ll be playing 2 sets beginning with a full album performance of “You Are Literally A Metaphor” as we had planned for our tour PLUS a BONUS SET of CTS classics and improv jams. On top of that we’ll host a live Q & A during set break.

We’ll be getting in the van and driving a few hours to unload, set up and soundcheck just like any other show and are asking for a suggested donation of $10 to spend your Saturday night with us. Whether or not you’re able to donate we invite you to join us and allow our music into your homes and hearts during a time when we need connection and community more than ever.

~ CTS

RSVP & Event Info: https://www.facebook.com/events/219155565951580/
    (stream will be on Twitch, Facebook and Youtube Live)

Here's the link for the page where the stream will be - the links go live the day of the show:

https://www.weirdfishproductions.com...yxT70qGeIeHxL4
    Last edited by JKL2000; 03-20-2020 at 04:52 PM.

Last edited by chalkpie; 03-20-2020 at 06:11 PM.

There's almost no way to talk about the response to the crisis (especially the daily briefings,) without bringing a political angle into the discussion. I don't know where that leaves PE...A dead end?

Wow, thanks for such a detailed observation, I enjoyed the read very much.

I find it rather hypocritical a generation would favor vegetarianism(I am one since 1970) and turn around and wish death on humans, an entire generation.

It will be interesting to see how their snobbish morality holds up when real life kicks them in the ass when they have kids, have to work to support them, get a house, pay off tuition (oh wait, aren't they asking for debt forgiveness?).

Just like in our generation, when the 70's hippies became parents and gradually turned into convertible BMW-driving yuppies during the 80's.

The young generation is vegan (nuance, mon cher ), because vegetarian is what some of their parents were. Dozens of restaurants in Brussels and Paris are going full-on vegan, not even aware that some of these vegetable fats are really not good for the health (coco-fat, for ex).
    It's also why these young dickheads hipsters also go for user-unfriendly vinyl (they weren't born when those were around) and hate CDs (that's their parents' music).

Puerile and thoughtless opposition is their poseur posture.
    But those consumerism-loving arseholes will be the major foes against the climate fighters (those lining up behind St Greta (Thundberg)

Didn't go through the whole thing, but wow!! It appears that Sweden is a pretty rotten place (already knew that, though)... Just like any other place on this planet

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    This virus is similar to SARS, and was likely emergent from a bat vector through the animal markets in China, potentially involving the rare pangolin. DNA typing has shown significant similarity to SARS, also a bat virus. Bats harbor one hell of a lot of viral loads- we need to study why they do not get ill (bats are also believed to be the natural reservoir for Ebola).
    I had read a Figaro Mag article (serious french journalism) about the pangolin's extinction and the virus being nascent. Along with bats, Pangolins are thought to be a carrier of the Covid thingie, though for Pangolins it could be a recent self-defense mechanism, because they're such easy preys for prehensile hands.
    https://www.lefigaro.fr/sciences/cor...pable-20200221
    https://www.lefigaro.fr/flash-actu/d...monde-20200221
    Chinese are responsible for Pangolin's extinction (apparently 1 000 000 poached in 10 years) across the planet.
    Not only are this cute ant-eating beast is easily poached (they roll into a ball like a hedgehog), thus making it extremely easy for poachers to take them alive until its final destination - China-. Their scales will be ground into a powder for traditional medecine (supposedly repelling or curing cancer), but their meat is extremely appreciated (Chinese will eat almost anything alive, including fried tarentulas and scorpions)
    Last edited by Trane; 03-20-2020 at 07:20 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post

I had read a Figaro Mag article (serious french journalism)
    Serious journalism named after a line in "Bohemian Rhapsody"? Please.

A story about medical workers being discriminated against
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Hey moderators, as we find out about concerts being livestreamed (due to Covid-19) where's the best place to post info? I've already got one to post, and I know more are coming soon and for the time being.
    I think it’s a bit early to speculate a series of streamed concerts since that arguably puts at risk the crews/people responsible for making that happen. So my suggestion is to create a thread for each as they come.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.