Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    With the acceptance of masks, distancing, hand washing in Canada, I thought we were different. NOT. Ottawa is in a Red zone and could experience a lock down too. I'm just growing so tired of the whole isolation thing.
    I felt that way too...nice obedient Canadians doing the right thing. And it appeared to be the case. Now we are just like every other country on the planet, suffering escalating Covid cases and growing numbers of hospitalization, putting our medical capacity in serious jeopardy. I honestly have come to the conclusion that there is an unknown element to Covid that is constantly changing and we are unable to keep up. Hopefully, the vaccine will be our saviour.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by KayBur View Post
    And you remember about anti-vaccines. Vaccination helped to stop dozens of dangerous diseases, but clowns were found who from all holes broadcast that vaccination is harmful, but those diseases are not at all terrible. And someone believes in this idiocy, and mothers massively refuse to vaccinate their children. This is terrible! That's exactly the same thing about hand washing. We were told from childhood that we went to the toilet - wash our hands. Why do we brush our teeth? Well, that is, there is some kind of elementary hygiene that should always be present in a person's life, and not only during a pandemic.
    Yeah, the antivaxxers thing has certainly exploded of late. While I wouldn't say it surprises me, it is definitely frightening how voracious these types have gotten of late. The anti mask thing is of course part of it, although I feel like that's also just been politicized to death so while I'm sure some of it is anti-science (obviously the crowd that is is pushing back on these mask orders), it seems more intertwined to me. This hand washing thing thouhgh...that hasn't popped up on my radar, but does seem like a logical consequence of this destruction. What a time to be alive!
    No humor please, we're skittish.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    With the acceptance of masks, distancing, hand washing in Canada, I thought we were different. NOT. Ottawa is in a Red zone and could experience a lock down too. I'm just growing so tired of the whole isolation thing.
    The fact that masks are mandatory and we have red-zones and lockdowns, does make us different. The tight controls that have been put in place across the country have kept our numbers down. We are not perfect and we have our own set of idiots not following the rules and protesting masks and other protective measures. But all I have to do is look at this site, to see how well Canada is doing overall. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/

Back in the Spring we were #12 on this list. Now we're #31. Things could be so much worse.

I'm proud of the job that Canada is doing to keep Canadians safe.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    This hand washing thing thouhgh...that hasn't popped up on my radar, but does seem like a logical consequence of this destruction. What a time to be alive!
    It's sad, and also worrisome. I worked with at least two people who didn't wash their hands after using the restroom -- and one of them ran the cafe at the front of our office. I only learned about that because one of the custodians told me, but I stopped getting anything to eat there afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    It's sad, and also worrisome. I worked with at least two people who didn't wash their hands after using the restroom -- and one of them ran the cafe at the front of our office. I only learned about that because one of the custodians told me, but I stopped getting anything to eat there afterwards.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

I'd still rather deal with this bullshit instead of the unbelievable horrors the world dealt with from the late 30's until 1945. This isn't good by any means but that was multitudes worse.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I had not heard that Moderna had announced when they were going to file for approval. Is it today? Yes, their vaccine has a refrigerated shelf life of around 30 days, which is longer than the Pfizer vaccine.
    I meant the announcement about the efficacy of their vaccine in trials. I don't know if they have a timetable for production, etc.
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    I'd still rather deal with this bullshit instead of the unbelievable horrors the world dealt with from the late 30's until 1945. This isn't good by any means but that was multitudes worse.
    Lets try to have the bar a little higher than this please.....
    No humor please, we're skittish.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

Toronto is going back into lockdown mode, as of Monday, November 23rd, for a minimum of 28 days. Although the government is pledging $600 million dollars in support of small businesses, affected during this time, many small business owners in the area are now saying that they are basically screwed.

I agree to take measures to halt the spread of Covid, but at the same time, my heart goes out to all the small business owners and their employees, who are practicing maximum Covid safety measures, but now must still shut down, at their busiest time of year. A potential vaccine on many fronts, is very hopeful, but these are still trying times, indeed.

neil

In Sweden the authorities are hesitating recommending masks, because it challenges the idea of equality !

https://www.expressen.se/tv/nyheter/...-om-jamlikhet/

I wonder if the surge in Canada is idiots that gathered for the Canadian Thanksgiving
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I know there have been some questions here regarding the logistics of moving the Pfizer vaccine when it has to be frozen. Here is a pretty good segment that was on CBS morning show yesterday: https://app.criticalmention.com/app/...c-95c4d2d5caf0

I know there have been some questions here regarding the logistics of moving the Pfizer vaccine when it has to be frozen. Here is a pretty good segment that was on CBS morning show yesterday. Some of this was filmed at the plant where I work: https://app.criticalmention.com/app/...c-95c4d2d5caf0

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I meant the announcement about the efficacy of their vaccine in trials. I don't know if they have a timetable for production, etc.
    Ah, yes they announced efficacy which is actually a bit higher than the Pfizer vaccine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    I wonder if the surge in Canada is idiots that gathered for the Canadian Thanksgiving
    The numbers started to slowly climb when schools reopened. Factor in Thanksgiving, Halloween, Diwali, the weather getting colder so more people are gathering indoors, people ignoring the rules and holding large gatherings like weddings and, of course, you can't forget the covidiots.

I personally think that the cold weather has a lot to do with it. It was easy to socialize outside when the weather was nice, but most of Canada is too cold right now to just sit around your backyard.

In the US State of Kansas, cases are exploding in most counties, where masks are not required. In the few counties where masks ARE required, there's a slight decline in cases.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

A new tale from the cauldron of COVID stew that is North Dakota. OK, so our governor initiated a mask mandate and a few other measures (conveniently after the election). Now, I live in a town of about 500-600 souls. We drive to a town of about 2500 for our Rx needs. The school board in that town had a meeting early this week and enough whining parents/children descended on these poor spineless bastards that they lifted the mandate for the school. I talked to the pharmacist today when I picked up my wife's prescriptions and he told me the latest (his wife is on the school board and was not part of the above nonsense). The superintendent got a stern email from the State Department of Public Instruction that suggested a number of penalties for the administration and school board, including a suggestion of "jail time" in the list. So now the board is rescinding their illegal lifting of the mandate. Once in a while, rule of law does prevail.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Regarding the https://www.expressen.se/tv/nyheter/...-om-jamlikhet/ URL,
    I can't get all of that to play so I can't hear it, but if she really said that it is utterly ridiculous. I suppose we are all supposed to die in equal amounts?
    Anyway the Royal Academy of Sciences recommends masks indoors even if Public Health Agency disagrees.

I was talking with my middle daughter Tanya today, she is a nurse at John Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore. She said things are really bad. They are moving medical patients into the halls so they have rooms for Covid patients. She said they are offering dire need shifts which are paying $70.00 an hour. She said those shifts are the same time as hers and she is already working overtime.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I was talking with my middle daughter Tanya today, she is a nurse at John Hopkins Hospital in Baltimore. She said things are really bad. They are moving medical patients into the halls so they have rooms for Covid patients. She said they are offering dire need shifts which are paying $70.00 an hour. She said those shifts are the same time as hers and she is already working overtime.
    Update from my daughter at Passavant hospital in the northern Pittsburgh suburbs:

..."they shut down another unit too. So mine, another one, and 2 ICU pods are full..."
    These people are heroes.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac
    These people are heroes.
    That, they most definitely are.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    In Sweden the authorities are hesitating recommending masks, because it challenges the idea of equality !

https://www.expressen.se/tv/nyheter/...-om-jamlikhet/
    What is the reasoning behind this ? (Sorry, the automatic online translation doesn't work well enough to help me understand the content in swedish.)

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    What is the reasoning behind this ? (Sorry, the automatic online translation doesn't work well enough to help me understand the content in swedish.)
    It is a good question.
    But the reasoning is along the line "if not everybody can have it, nobody should".

Maybe someone from Sweden can explain it better?

Meanwhile, as Toronto prepares to go into another lockdown, people are ignoring all government warnings and pleas from over-worked health care workers, as shopping malls are absolutely packed with people either, a) panic buying, or b) looking for week-early Black Friday deals. Perhaps there really is no hope for humanity.

I think that small-business owners here have a pretty good case, when they complain that, despite rigidly following all Covid safety protocols in their stores, they are forced to shutdown, whilst Wal-Marts and shopping malls can remain open. There are other places to buy essentials.

neil
    Last edited by boilk; 1 Week Ago at 09:21 AM.