Page 134 of 235 FirstFirst ... 3484124130131132133134135136137138144184234 ... LastLast
Results 3,326 to 3,350 of 5872

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

I thought that this was the Covid discussion...did they move it?
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Here is a good article from the Wall Street Journal on some of the logistical challenges with the Pfizer vaccine. The picture in the article was taken at the plant where I work: https://www.wsj.com/articles/pfizer-...gn-11603272614

A lead investigator on the Danish mask study - the ONLY (as far as I know) randomized trial to see if masks protect from #COVID - was asked when it would be published.

His answer: “as soon as a journal is brave enough.”

https://twitter.com/AlexBerenson/sta...-tidsskrift-er

Dueling Covid memorandums. There was the herd immunity one.
    This one is science with over 5300 signatories , no fake names.

https://www.johnsnowmemo.com/
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    A lead investigator on the Danish mask study - the ONLY (as far as I know) randomized trial to see if masks protect from #COVID - was asked when it would be published.

His answer: “as soon as a journal is brave enough.”

https://twitter.com/AlexBerenson/sta...-tidsskrift-er
    Masks are recommended to protect OTHERS from COVID, not the wearer from COVID.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Masks are recommended to protect OTHERS from COVID, not the wearer from COVID.
    Thank you. I'm glad someone said this.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Thank you. I'm glad someone said this.
    Makes perfect sense, since there are so many asymptomatic carriers who don't even know it. That's the best way to stop the spread.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Makes perfect sense, since there are so many asymptomatic carriers who don't even know it. That's the best way to stop the spread.
    Yeah. And it's not a huge imposition to wear a mask when out in a public place either. Some people will still refuse though...

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    Yeah. And it's not a huge imposition to wear a mask when out in a public place either.
    Especially compared to the massive loss of freedom when Covid spreads wild. Not just an ounce of prevention, a microgram of prevention.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    I thought that this was the Covid discussion...did they move it?
    I cleaned up the thread a bit. Thank you to those who are primarily staying on topic. I know it’s a challenge, especially so close to the election. I am tempted to weigh in myself. But we are better off if we can keep the discussion focused on the pandemic, with recognition that it’s a global event. Many thanks to those who continue to share their experience from around the world.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

How big a percentage of the population is actually infected?
    In Denmark that number was 1,39% last time they estimated.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I cleaned up the thread a bit.
    I noticed that when the number of pages went from 130+ to about 12.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I cleaned up the thread a bit. Thank you to those who are primarily staying on topic. I know it’s a challenge, especially so close to the election. I am tempted to weigh in myself. But we are better off if we can keep the discussion focused on the pandemic, with recognition that it’s a global event. Many thanks to those who continue to share their experience from around the world.
    A week or two ago, Canada was #26 on the list of countries reporting cases. Three days ago we were 28. Two days ago 29. Yesterday we dropped to 30, as other countries' case counts continue to exceed our numbers. Canada has been very strict from the start of the pandemic with closures, restrictions, and mandatory masks in many regions. This is proof enough to me that restrictions and mask wearing works. Although we are showing increasing numbers and are clearly in a second wave, we are doing relatively well compared to others. I think that it also helps that our population is spread out, unlike many smaller countries where the population is more dense.

The closures and restrictions still suck, especially when you see the numbers continue to increase. But it seems a little more worthwhile when you realize that compared to other countries, we still seem to be in a relatively decent position. Things could be so much worse here.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    How big a percentage of the population is actually infected?
    In Denmark that number was 1,39% last time they estimated.
    Nobody really knows. The reported number is directly related to the number of tests being performed. For the most part, people who are getting tested are showing symptoms, which excludes those who are asymptomatic. That's why a certain person who shall remain nameless wants to keep the number of tests down. Based on the reported numbers in the US, we're at 2.5% infections. But, once again, we are woefully low on testing rates.

Gov of South Dakota says wearing or not wearing masks is a matter of courtesy? More like sickness or health or living or dying.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Gov of South Dakota says wearing or not wearing masks is a matter of courtesy? More like sickness or health or living or dying.
    Sorry if this is veering back toward a political discussion, but the NYT had a good opinion piece the other day from someone saying that conservatives like to argue that they don't like being told to wear masks because it infringes upon their personal freedoms and liberties. Well how about my freedom not to die?
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Sorry if this is veering back toward a political discussion, but the NYT had a good opinion piece the other day from someone saying that conservatives like to argue that they don't like being told to wear masks because it infringes upon their personal freedoms and liberties. Well how about my freedom not to die?
    This, to me, is akin to the 2nd hand smoke argument. Smokers were furious when smoking was banned in public places because "it's my right to smoke". There was no regard for those of us breathing in their poison. People can be self-centred assholes. End of story.

There's great confusion in America about our Constitutional rights. There are far too many people who think their rights are absolute.

My right to free speech does not allow me to publicly slander people.

My right to protest does not allow me to do it in someone's living room.

My freedom of religion does not allow me to sacrifice people to my god.

There's great confusion in America about our Constitutional rights. There are far too many people who think their rights are absolute.

My right to free speech does not allow me to publicly slander people.

My right to protest does not allow me to do it in someone's living room.

My freedom of religion does not allow me to sacrifice people to my god.
    We're not allowed to make human sacrifices here?

Oh, man. I just fucked up big time......

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post

Dude that's SO metal....now I have to listen to the complete catalog of Cannibal Corpse. Thanks a lot.

Today, I walked into a Wally Mart, wearing a mask. Ahead of me were two teenage girls, one wearing a mask, one not. The one who wasn't wearing a mask was going on about how she wasn't going to wear a mask, no way, blah, blah, blah. When she finished her petulant announcement with "I'm not wearing one," I spoke up and said "That's because you're an idiot." She turned and looked at me with eyes as big as quarters, but didn't say anything. I'm pretty sure her friend was laughing under her mask. I don't know if confronting Covidiots like that has any chance of getting through to them, or if it just backs them into corners, but it needed to be said.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post

That just made me laugh out loud. Truly.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Today, I walked into a Wally Mart, wearing a mask. Ahead of me were two teenage girls, one wearing a mask, one not. The one who wasn't wearing a mask was going on about how she wasn't going to wear a mask, no way, blah, blah, blah. When she finished her petulant announcement with "I'm not wearing one," I spoke up and said "That's because you're an idiot." She turned and looked at me with eyes as big as quarters, but didn't say anything. I'm pretty sure her friend was laughing under her mask. I don't know if confronting Covidiots like that has any chance of getting through to them, or if it just backs them into corners, but it needed to be said.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)