Page 25 of 235 FirstFirst ... 152122232425262728293575125 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    There is a lot more missing from the stores besides paper products. There is a dearth of actual food. Even the advertised specials aren't available. You can't plan meals in advance, because when you get to the store, you can't always get what you want. You hope there is enough there so you don't go hungry.
    this is what puzzles me
    here in the states at least, we have a strong trucking industry and I see no reason for the supply chain slowing
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

It is panic buying. Here in TX, HEB has a solid and strong logistics supply-chain system, so our HEB and Central Markets are pretty much fully stocked. OTOH, Whole Foods is pretty badly picked over, and Target is deplorable. It may not be Target's fault, though,as waves of panic have hit them.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    this is what puzzles me
    here in the states at least, we have a strong trucking industry and I see no reason for the supply chain slowing
    I asked at the grocery store about some of the specials that were missing. I was told the warehouses are out of a lot of items; they weren't being shipped to the stores that had ordered them. Perhaps panic buying and hoarding caused some of it. But the trucks are still running and the stores are still open. Lots of us are upset that basic staples are unavailable. But we are thankful that the stores remain open for those of us who don't have our own warehouses or unlimited-capacity refrigerators, and those of us who would never consider depriving others of their needs by hoarding, and those of us who can't afford surrogate shoppers or delivery. Aside from weekly trips to the grocery store, we are staying well by staying home.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

The French are running out of Red Wine and Rubbers and we are short of TP

I have been going to our local Safeway throughout the crisis.
    This morning they had bread ( Yay! ), the meat selection was limited to high dollar cuts of solid meat ( mostly beef ) and some cold cuts.
    I didn't look in the paper aisle, but pretty much everything else was stocked up.
    They had what seemed to be a full staff and the store has been in order.

The Nextdoor for our area seems to be focused on Walmart and Costco for sightings of product delivery.
    We are lucky that there are many grocery stores so that demand is spread.
    I would hate to be in a community with limited choice.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

I had Tuesday off from work (I realize not everyone can do this), so I went to a store right when it opened at 8 and they had everyone line up to walk to the paper products aisle. It was already thin but I got what I needed. They had one-per-person limits by then, not sure when they started that.

Good lord, even the parks are closed. I can't even take walk in the park.

My local Supermarket has everything as usual. only excaption is paper products and canned food like beans.
    Maybe there is a correlation there...

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    I have been going to our local Safeway throughout the crisis.
    This morning they had bread ( Yay! ), the meat selection was limited to high dollar cuts of solid meat ( mostly beef ) and some cold cuts.
    I didn't look in the paper aisle, but pretty much everything else was stocked up.
    They had what seemed to be a full staff and the store has been in order.
    As we are from the same area, I have observed the same. I have avoided Walmart, Target, and Costco as that's where more of the volume seems to occur. It's just been the local chains like Harris Teeter for us.

Timing can help. I went shopping Friday morning. I checked to see if they were implementing new store hours (which they were) for re-stocking. I was there at 7:05am (they opened at 7). I was able to get milk, eggs, bread, fruit and fresh meat. (The milk was almost out). A lot of the store was "half-stocked", but we did pretty well. The store was already fairly busy, but it wasn't too bad.

But yes, we are fortunate to have options in our area.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll
    The Nextdoor for our area seems to be focused on Walmart and Costco for sightings of product delivery.
    Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by "The Nextdoor for our area?"
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean by "The Nextdoor for our area?"
    Nextdoor is a social networking service for neighborhoods. Our local community board isn't too bad.

www.nextdoor.com
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I went to Costco yesterday and they had plenty of TP, paper towels and water. They were limiting it to one per customer, and even have it set up where the registers won't allow more than one to be purchased on a single check out. The only things I couldn't get were disinfecting wipes (which I luckily have some already) and ground beef. They had plenty of poultry though (still limiting it to one package of each type), but some items were getting low like pasta. They also had a sign out that they are not taking returns for TP, paper towels, rice, etc. Supposedly there was someone who bought 3 pallets of disinfecting wipes and was trying to sell them out of there car for 5x the price.
    My wife and I took this seriously about 3 weeks ago and stocked up on non-perishables, enough for 2-3 weeks. Figured if it didn't blow up, we would eventually eat the food anyway. Now, I am glad we did, as we don't need much to keep going for a few weeks if needed.

Banned
    I believe state and national parks in Maryland are still open. Went on a hike with my son today at Catoctin Mountain Park. It was the most crowded I’ve seen it, parking lots full and many cars parked along the street so a lot of people had the same idea. I observed a mix of people being careful to socially distance and others acting as if nothing was happening. Beautiful day though.

Quote Originally Posted by TheH View Post
    My local Supermarket has everything as usual. only excaption is paper products and canned food like beans.
    Maybe there is a correlation there...
    In Belgium, despite the stupid early rush on pasta and toilet paper, everything is back to +/- normal stocks in supermarkets. Dito in the Netherlands, Southern France is a litlle more iffier, but things ashpuld return to normal. I really think the food distribution chain will not be a factor in this health crisis.... If only, of course, brain weaklings stop panicking and the braindead stop spreading the virus around by gathering in large groups.

However, once the pandemy will hit Africa, I have no idea how that's going to go down there, but I fear bad.

Surprisingly enough Russia and Indonesia are late on the cycle, whereas I'd have expected them to be in the worst states hit by the crisis.
    Last edited by Trane; 03-21-2020 at 06:26 PM.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Nextdoor is a social networking service for neighborhoods. Our local community board isn't too bad.

www.nextdoor.com
    I joined Nextdoor a few months ago. It's pretty good for keeping a pulse on what's going on locally. It's been particularly good in this situation as all the state and local notices are posted, and people are discussing their experiences at various stores which can help in terms of figuring out where something is if you need it and what is/is not open. It probably depends a lot on the community you are in, but my experience has been good and I recommend looking into it. I was actually just perusing it before coming here.

We've been exceptionally lucky in our area, and while the paper products, pastas, canned and frozen food has been pretty well picked over, fresh produce is still well stocked, and you can get most meats and dairy products if you shop early. We also have a Halal market and a fantastic fresh seafood store, and they are both very well-stocked. We stocked up before the worst of this hit, but re-stocked some of what we used this week to keep our surplus in case things get worse, which I fear it might. If/when it improves, everything we bought we'll use eventually.

Bill

As this thing hits the Third World it is going to get beyond ugly
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    I believe state and national parks in Maryland are still open. Went on a hike with my son today at Catoctin Mountain Park. It was the most crowded I’ve seen it, parking lots full and many cars parked along the street so a lot of people had the same idea. I observed a mix of people being careful to socially distance and others acting as if nothing was happening. Beautiful day though.
    A friend of mine on a police call the other night was talking with the cops and a total lock down may be just around the corner. He would be able to go to dialysis and people grocery shop but others could be stopped and fined. Went through the tunnel twice today and they don't have people at the tollbooths.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Former Real Madrid president Lorenzo Sanz dies of coronavirus

https://www.theguardian.com/football...of-coronavirus

My wife and I took this seriously about 3 weeks ago and stocked up on non-perishables, enough for 2-3 weeks. Figured if it didn't blow up, we would eventually eat the food anyway. Now, I am glad we did, as we don't need much to keep going for a few weeks if needed.
    We did the same- have lots of staples, TP, and snacks and would be fine for about 2 weeks.

and a total lock down may be just around the corner
    In Chicago area, there is now a 5pm curfew and if you are out after you can get ticketed.

Right now I wish I were Heimo Korth...
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Right now I wish I were Heimo Korth...
    Is he going to be shocked when he comes back to civilization and asks what's new.

With all the talk of ventilators in the news, something to consider.
    We are an older crowd around here.
    The concept of having an Advance Directive ( Living Will, POLST ) is tough for a lot of people.
    My Mom & Dad had them for years. It was a surprise to me and my sister, not a bad one.
    I don't, yet.
    Given the current scary times, something to think about before you do not have a choice.
    This guy lays out some of the why's, not the hows.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Parrots Ripped My Flesh Dave (in MA)'s Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Not.one.solitary.paper.product.
    It's gettin' crazy out there.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    My wife made barbeque this evening so I went to the store to get some hamburger rolls. No hamburger rolls so I grabbed the last two packs of hot dog rolls. Went to get some hot dogs and they only had beef for $5.20 a pound. So I went back to bread aisle and got a loaf of wheat bread and had barbeque on that.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    I wanted to get a box of saltines and they had one box of unsalted. Will get them later.