Page 219 of 235 FirstFirst ... 119169209215216217218219220221222223229 ... LastLast
Results 5,451 to 5,475 of 5872

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Digital_Man View Post
    Well, apparently it's also only 60 percent effective. If I'm going to get a shot I want it to be more effective than that even if it takes two. Still, I might go with the J&J anyway if I have I can't get one of the others soon(that is if it's still available).
    As has been discussed here previously the shot is 99.99% effective against death or serious illness needing hospitalization, those are the numbers that should be of most interest I think.

No side effects for me after the first shot except for a weird copper smell the first day and some arm soreness for a few days. Next shot on 5/3.

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    As has been discussed here previously the shot is 99.99% effective against death or serious illness needing hospitalization, those are the numbers that should be of most interest I think.
    Can you point me to an article online that proves this? No offense but just because people say it on here doesn't mean it's entirely accurate.

Edit: Ok, I just read online maybe a little over 70 percent effective in the US. Show me a scientific journal where it says 99 percent effective and I'll believe it. Also, preventing death and serious illness is what a vaccine is supposed to do so that does't mean much to me.

We're just waiting for the hammer to fall again, here in Ontario. It sounds like there will more restrictions coming down today as cases continue to rise. I was watching the modelling report on the news and the doctor making the presentation said something interesting that I hadn't considered. One of the big concerns here right now are the number of people in ICU with Covid-related issues. The number is increasing exponentially each day. The doctor said that aside from the growing number of cases, one of the causes of the ICU overload is that there was not enough time between the 2nd and 3rd waves for the ICUs to empty out. So when the 3rd wave hit, ICU beds were already in a deficit.

His recommendation seems to be a much longer stay-at-home order to not only reduce the amount of transmission, but give ICU units a chance to clear out existing patients. Just lowering the number of cases, on it's own, isn't enough.

Can you point me to an article online that proves this? No offense but just because people say it on here doesn't mean it's entirely accurate.

Edit: Ok, I just read online maybe a little over 70 percent effective in the US. Show me a scientific journal where it says 99 percent effective and I'll believe it.
    That's not what Barry said. It's not 99% effective to not get Covid, it's 99% effective that if you do get Covid, you won't end up in the hospital.

Also, preventing death and serious illness is what a vaccine is supposed to do so that does't mean much to me.
    You just agreed with Barry and didn't agree with him in the same sentence. Not ending up in the hospital and/or dying doesn't mean anything to you?
    Last edited by ForeverAutumn; 04-16-2021 at 02:00 PM.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar

Edit: Ok, I just read online maybe a little over 70 percent effective in the US. Show me a scientific journal where it says 99 percent effective and I'll believe it. Also, preventing death and serious illness is what a vaccine is supposed to do so that does't mean much to me.
    American Medical Association article article

While J&J’s vaccine has 66.3% effectiveness overall and 74.4% effectiveness in the United States, it has “100% efficacy against hospitalization and death from the virus,” said Dr. Irons. “That's really what we have to focus on.”

She noted that White House Chief Medical Adviser Anthony Fauci, MD, among other top experts are “saying is that it’s really important to focus on the severe end of the spectrum, preventing hospitalization and death.”

“No hospitalizations occurred in the vaccine group 28 days or more after vaccination as compared to 16 in the placebo group,” said Dr. Fryhofer. “There were also no COVID-associated deaths among those who were vaccinated. That’s pretty powerful.”

https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-...ohnson-vaccine
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    That's not what Barry said. It's not 99% effective to not get Covid, it's 99% effective that if you do get Covid, you won't end up in the hospital.

You just agreed with Barry and didn't agree with him in the same sentence. Not ending up in the hospital and/or dying doesn't mean anything to you?
    Of course it does. Again, I was referring to his statement not death or getting ill itself. I said that it doesn't mean much because that is what a vaccine is supposed to do. To me it's like saying your car will go faster than a bicycle. No kidding that's what a car is supposed to do. Anyway, none of that matters now anyway now that you cleared it up for me. Thanks. I apologize if I seem dense about it and I admit I didn't follow this thread very well. I just mainly jumped in to mention my situation about not being able to find a vaccine in my area.
    Last edited by Digital_Man; 04-16-2021 at 05:46 PM.

No, his statement that it does that doesn't mean much because that is what a vaccine is supposed to do. To me it's like saying your car will go faster than a bicycle. No kidding that's what a car is supposed to do. Anyway, none of that matters now anyway now that you cleared it up for me. Thanks. I apologize if I seem dense about it and I admit I didn't follow this thread very well. I just mainly jumped in to mention my situation about not being able to find a vaccine in my area and my decision(yes it's my decision)to wait until one of the ones that I want is available.

To summarize the article published yesterday and appearing in my prior post: 75 million fully vaccinated (Pfizer, J&J, Moderna, two weeks after second shot), total people diagnosed with Covid was 5800 (0.008%), 400 were hospitalized, 74 died (1.3% of 5800), that means one in a million has gotten sick and died, or the vaccines are 99.99% effective against death, pretty amazing really.
    Last edited by BarryLI; 04-16-2021 at 04:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by NogbadTheBad View Post
    American Medical Association article article

While J&J’s vaccine has 66.3% effectiveness overall and 74.4% effectiveness in the United States, it has “100% efficacy against hospitalization and death from the virus,” said Dr. Irons. “That's really what we have to focus on.”

She noted that White House Chief Medical Adviser Anthony Fauci, MD, among other top experts are “saying is that it’s really important to focus on the severe end of the spectrum, preventing hospitalization and death.”

“No hospitalizations occurred in the vaccine group 28 days or more after vaccination as compared to 16 in the placebo group,” said Dr. Fryhofer. “There were also no COVID-associated deaths among those who were vaccinated. That’s pretty powerful.”

https://www.ama-assn.org/delivering-...ohnson-vaccine
    Thank you.

Of course id does. I was referring to his statement not death or getting ill itself. I said that it doesn't mean much because that is what a vaccine is supposed to do. To me it's like saying your car will go faster than a bicycle. No kidding that's what a car is supposed to do. Anyway, none of that matters now anyway now that you cleared it up for me. Thanks. I apologize if I seem dense about it and I admit I didn't follow this thread very well. I just mainly jumped in to mention my situation about not being able to find a vaccine in my area.
    Sorry. Sometimes I take things too literally. I hope you're able to find a vaccine soon. I understand the frustration of having to wait your turn while watching other people get vaccinated.

It’s getting scary again around here. (Western Washington). We dropped back to Phase 2 as infections rise. Mostly 20-30+ somethings. I was in the Albertsons grocery store yesterday an all the construction workers installing a Starbucks kiosk were unmasked....standing within inches or each other. No masks in their pockets or nearby work surfaces...... surrounded by 65+ yo customers checking out. Now that I think about it, I should have taken a photo for social media.....both 30-somethings under the Starbucks logo.....
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    One thing I haven't seen too much of is...how well does the vaccine protect against the so called 'long hauler' covid symptoms? I understand hospitalizations and deaths are biggest worry, but some of those stories about feeling the effects for more than half a year after infection freak me out. If I do catch covid after getting the vaccine, how likely is it to be just a mild infection vs something long term like that?
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

I'm tired of fist-pumping. Can I just shake your hand? For the love of God, can we get back to hand shaking?...

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Lockdown extended 2 week (6 total) in Ontario.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    One thing I haven't seen too much of is...how well does the vaccine protect against the so called 'long hauler' covid symptoms? I understand hospitalizations and deaths are biggest worry, but some of those stories about feeling the effects for more than half a year after infection freak me out. If I do catch covid after getting the vaccine, how likely is it to be just a mild infection vs something long term like that?
    There have been reports that the vaccine reduces the long-haul symptoms for people that have previously had Covid. My long-hauler friend is supposed to get vaccinated next week. I hope it helps him!

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Lockdown extended 2 week (6 total) in Ontario.
    Yup and additional restrictions, including Police having the power to stop and question you if you're outside of your house. Personally, I think that's taking things a little too far.

Yup and additional restrictions, including Police having the power to stop and question you if you're outside of your house. Personally, I think that's taking things a little too far.
    I didn't know that. That does sound extreme.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I didn't know that. That does sound extreme.
    It is extreme, it's like martial law...won't be enforceable. I'm waiting to get pulled over, "just going to pick up some weed officer"
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

On another note...with all the negativity regarding the Astra Zeneca vaccine and the on going efforts to convince people that the positives out weigh the negatives, Global News last night night did a feature on a woman in the UK, who was one of the one in a million that got blood clots attributed to the AZ vaccine. They went to great lengths to emphasize how awful it was and what a bad choice she had made. I find this kind of tabloid journalism totally unacceptable in our current situation.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    It is extreme, it's like martial law...won't be enforceable. I'm waiting to get pulled over, "just going to pick up some weed officer"
    I - while taking a toke off my pipe!

On another note...with all the negativity regarding the Astra Zeneca vaccine and the on going efforts to convince people that the positives out weigh the negatives, Global News last night night did a feature on a woman in the UK, who was one of the one in a million that got blood clots attributed to the AZ vaccine. They went to great lengths to emphasize how awful it was and what a bad choice she had made. I find this kind of tabloid journalism totally unacceptable in our current situation.
    Millions of women risk blood clots every day by taking birth control pills. Many of them don't care about the risk or are never educated about the risk. Birth Control pills are a much greater risk than the few dozen blood clots linked to Covid vaccines. Nobody seems to care.

Or the LCBO...since it's an essential service.

Hubby and I went to Costco tonight. We were worried that it would be lined up. No line and it was the emptiest I've ever seen it. It was downright pleasant.

Wow. This is pretty interesting. I think it's too small a sample to be statistically valid, but interesting conclusions nonetheless.

Those with poor oral hygiene tend to experience more severe COVID-19 symptoms, study finds

https://www.ctvnews.ca/health/corona...inds-1.5378481

Normally I'd agree with it being too far, but these are extreme times, and too many people ignore the rules, it seems. When I was still going in to work, we were issued a paper statement saying that we were essential workers and were allowed to be out on the street, in transit to work. I never had to use it, but I would not have been offended if pulled over and asked what I was doing. I understand it probably seems a step too far for some, but to me, whatever it takes to get those numbers down, and hospital ICU units cleared, is the prime objective, here.

Stricter measures like this should have been employed a long time ago, and then we wouldn't be in this situation. IMO.

neil
    Last edited by boilk; 04-17-2021 at 05:55 AM.

That is a bit surprising to hear. Well Dave, hopefully you'll be pleased to know that at CBC, all the doctors and experts consulted, continue to say that the right vaccine to get, is the one that's offered and available.

neil