Page 208 of 235 FirstFirst ... 108158198204205206207208209210211212218 ... LastLast
Results 5,176 to 5,200 of 5872

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    It beats banning people and/or closing the thread. Your choice since it seems you have something you want to say.
    Yes, I do have something to say...we are in our 3rd lockdown since the start of the pandemic. My wife & I are 81 years old, yes older than Geezer. Who knows for how much longer we will inhabit this world. We are still in our house, have lots of space, lots of music, booze & weed and feel more fortunate than a lot of other folks. However, everything is relative and stir crazy is universal. We are all victims of this evil virus that chose to invade our planet. Covid doesn't take sides...though every effort is being made to establish it's roots as left or right. This thread as degenerated into a political name calling bonanza, totally unrelated to it's original purpose, which I believed was to be a source of useful information and personal experiences. You are right in saying that it beats banning people, but I don't recall having a difference of opinion, being a reason to be banned. It's really hard to believe that we have anything in common.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    Covid doesn't take sides...though every effort is being made to establish it's roots as left or right.
    Its roots? Are people blaming political ideologies on the source of the virus? I don't see that. There are certainly those who would rather point fingers than combat it, though. And, I do see ideology playing a serious role in its proliferation. Whether or not it's okay to point those out in any particular forum, one cannot deny the evidence.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Yes, I do have something to say...we are in our 3rd lockdown since the start of the pandemic. My wife & I are 81 years old, yes older than Geezer. Who knows for how much longer we will inhabit this world. We are still in our house, have lots of space, lots of music, booze & weed and feel more fortunate than a lot of other folks. However, everything is relative and stir crazy is universal. We are all victims of this evil virus that chose to invade our planet. Covid doesn't take sides...though every effort is being made to establish it's roots as left or right. This thread as degenerated into a political name calling bonanza, totally unrelated to it's original purpose, which I believed was to be a source of useful information and personal experiences. You are right in saying that it beats banning people, but I don't recall having a difference of opinion, being a reason to be banned. It's really hard to believe that we have anything in common.
    Your well thought out comments are appreciated.

People who have a difference of opinion are not banned here, otherwise PE would be a graveyard by now. How they present that opinion and the respect (or lack thereof) they show to others is what matters more. I usually step in when people start the name calling, especially if we are alerted by others that such a thing is going on. But that can also become very tiring after a while. So we don't get to every single partisan or "offensive remark" or care to arbitrate them. While I'm only 51, the fact that I need to step in and moderate disputes and people who are usually 10-20 years older than myself is - well - I'll say discouraging.

The easy thing to do is to close the thread, but we have primarily kept it open so people can share their personal experiences. But my patience is running thin.

What is even more discouraging is seeing how people passionately argue points that "want" to be true, that are "told" is true, or that they "believe" is true because it follows their tribe. But when you consider how most people get their information, is it any wonder? Who needs truth when you have a tribe of people to back you up, or you can share a clever meme? Who needs experience and expertise on a subject when you can Google a few articles?

And I've learned people have become very comfortable with their tribalism and really don't want to listen to someone that present them with an alternative point of view. The greatest problem we have in civil society at the moment (imo) is the framing of every issue as having 2 sides, 2 perspectives, 2 answers. And when non-partisan issues or seemingly innocuous subject become partisan, any hope of having a 3rd, 4th, 5th point of view is over. This is why there is so little "meeting in the middle" these days. It's us vs. them, and the rest don't matter.

And the voices of partisanship are much louder and dominant than they used to be, unfortunately. And those who don't want to argue all the time or feel drowned out, back away. This is why a sentence like "It's really hard to believe we that we have anything in common" feels so true because it seems like all who are left are the most divisive.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

People who have a difference of opinion are not banned here, otherwise PE would be a graveyard by now. How they present that opinion and the respect (or lack thereof) they show to others is what matters more. I usually step in when people start the name calling, especially if we are alerted by others that such a thing is going on. But that can also become very tiring after a while. So we don't get to every single partisan or "offensive remark" or care to arbitrate them. While I'm only 51, the fact that I need to step in and moderate disputes and people who are usually 10-20 years older than myself is - well - I'll say discouraging.

The easy thing to do is to close the thread, but we have primarily kept it open so people can share their personal experiences. But my patience is running thin.

What is even more discouraging is seeing how people passionately argue points that "want" to be true, that are "told" is true, or that they "believe" is true because it follows their tribe. But when you consider how most people get their information, is it any wonder? Who needs truth when you have a tribe of people to back you up, or you can share a clever meme? Who needs experience and expertise on a subject when you can Google a few articles?

And I've learned people have become very comfortable with their tribalism and really don't want to listen to someone that present them with an alternative point of view. The greatest problem we have in civil society at the moment (imo) is the framing of every issue as having 2 sides, 2 perspectives, 2 answers. And when non-partisan issues or seemingly innocuous subject become partisan, any hope of having a 3rd, 4th, 5th point of view is over. This is why there is so little "meeting in the middle" these days. It's us vs. them, and the rest don't matter.

And the voices of partisanship are much louder and dominant than they used to be, unfortunately. And those who don't want to argue all the time or feel drowned out, back away. This is why a sentence like "It's really hard to believe we that we have anything in common" feels so true because it seems like all who are left are the most divisive.
    You've made some excellent points, really appreciate your tolerance...now for dinner( with wine of course).
    Dave Sr.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    You've made some excellent points, really appreciate your tolerance...now for dinner( with wine of course).
    What about the weed?
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    What about the weed?
    Hey let's hear it for NYS! Hear hear here here hair hair....

This right here my friend is maddening. There are no conversations anymore.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

I would just like to point out that this thread is valuable. While we might all see events in other parts of the world on the news and we can have discussions about those things, it is rare that we are actually sharing the same experience - like a global pandemic. It's like the old cliche that we're all looking at the same moon from different angles. We are all going through this pandemic having different experiences. I, for one, really enjoy being able to come here and hear from people all over the world (granted it's mostly North America) about what they are going through.

Today I was able to help a member of this thread register for the waiting list to get vaccinated. Sure he could have found the information on his own, but I made it just a bit easier for him. I'm not saying this to pat myself on the back, I'm saying this to point out that we can have discussions and still support each other. This thread has been mostly civil and it would be a shame if a few bad posts got it shut down.

Having been a moderater on another site for many years, I really appreciate the job that Poisoned Youth is doing (Thank you!). It's so easy to lose patience and/or get caught up in the bullshit right now. Please keep discussions civil and be kind to each other so that we can continue those discussions.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawford Glissadevil View Post
    Since one month ago, Texas opened up 100%. Cases down 50%. Deaths down 60%.

In fact, Florida (oldest population) has 17,000 less deaths than New York State...even though Florida has 2 million more people.
    Texas has 2,000 less deaths than New York state...even though Texas has 10 million more people.

https://www.statista.com/statistics/...s-us-by-state/
    Apples and Oranges! I lived in Dallas and I live NYC area now. You can go all day in Texas without actually interacting with any strangers. You always drive, you shop in half empty shops, you drive to work and back and most of the time you stay put at home because it is bloody hot and nothing to do outside. NYC is quite opposite, public transport, crowded places inside and outside. Besides a median age of New Yorkers is more than 5 years higher than Dallas.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What about the weed?
    Usually a little later on...after the hockey game and the curling, I'll head down to basement and have a toke or 2, listen to some music and have a good nights sleep...what not to like?
    Dave Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    This right here my friend is maddening. There are no conversations anymore.
    absolutely the problem. Sadly, I believe this situation is way beyond redemption.
    Dave Sr.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Its roots? Are people blaming political ideologies on the source of the virus? I don't see that. There are certainly those who would rather point fingers than combat it, though. And, I do see ideology playing a serious role in its proliferation. Whether or not it's okay to point those out in any particular forum, one cannot deny the evidence.
    I see that cherry picking is contagious...
    Dave Sr.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Usually a little later on...after the hockey game and the curling, I'll head down to basement and have a toke or 2, listen to some music and have a good nights sleep...what not to like?
    Mine is Friday only night ritual, with my wife's approval. Not stink week, hashish. That mixed with some great videos of prog rock!! Gotta love the wife. What was this thread about??
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I would just like to point out that this thread is valuable. While we might all see events in other parts of the world on the news and we can have discussions about those things, it is rare that we are actually sharing the same experience - like a global pandemic. It's like the old cliche that we're all looking at the same moon from different angles. We are all going through this pandemic having different experiences. I, for one, really enjoy being able to come here and hear from people all over the world (granted it's mostly North America) about what they are going through.

Today I was able to help a member of this thread register for the waiting list to get vaccinated. Sure he could have found the information on his own, but I made it just a bit easier for him. I'm not saying this to pat myself on the back, I'm saying this to point out that we can have discussions and still support each other. This thread has been mostly civil and it would be a shame if a few bad posts got it shut down.

Having been a moderater on another site for many years, I really appreciate the job that Poisoned Youth is doing (Thank you!). It's so easy to lose patience and/or get caught up in the bullshit right now. Please keep discussions civil and be kind to each other so that we can continue those discussions.
    +1
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

The greatest problem we have in civil society at the moment (imo) is the framing of every issue as having 2 sides, 2 perspectives, 2 answers. And when non-partisan issues or seemingly innocuous subject become partisan, any hope of having a 3rd, 4th, 5th point of view is over. This is why there is so little "meeting in the middle" these days. It's us vs. them, and the rest don't matter.

I'd have to disagree. "The greatest problem we have in civil society at the moment" is the default view that both of the 2 opposing viewpoints are equally valid. Regardless of critical thinking, logic, or fact-based evidence. Viewpoints are being judged solely on number of adherents. The USA is a 50-50 country, so all positions advocated by the 2 main sides are equally valid, just different? Um, no, they're not. I could show beyond a reasonable doubt that that is not true, but this isn't the forum for that. However, imo, our society is on the edge of a tipping point, and is quite fragile. Covid has exacerbated that, but it was already there, and it's getting worse. I agree that if the divide takes over PE, that would be a shame, but if it happens in the country writ large, it's not going to matter. At that point, it'll happen on PE regardless, and that will be the least of our problems.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post

My roots are in the UK, Birmingham to be precise, and I'm a member of a forum that shares the same or similar childhood memories...There is a thread about Covid and how we are affected and dealing with it, somewhat like we have on PE. The demographic is not quite the same by at least 10 years. There are no confrontations like on PE...everyone is civil and respects what each has to say. Politics and religion are subjects that are never broached, even though there are no directives forbidding such conversation, as they say, it's just an unwritten rule. People are old or maybe just mature enough to realize the folly of indulging in those topics. I would like to point out that I feel the pandemic and subsequent isolation has had a detrimental effect on all of us and that we as humans are suffering some sort of mental reset. It's not something that is easily admittable, but I would be less than honest if I said that I was 100% unaffected mentally.
    Dave Sr.

Mine is Friday only night ritual, with my wife's approval. Not stink week, hashish. That mixed with some great videos of prog rock!! Gotta love the wife. What was this thread about??
    My weed don't stink!
    Dave Sr.

I see that cherry picking is contagious...
    Please feel free to elaborate and enlighten me.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I'd have to disagree. "The greatest problem we have in civil society at the moment" is the default view that both of the 2 opposing viewpoints are equally valid.
    Yep.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post
    A bit of a curve ball, but still on topic: When things eventually get back to being relatively normal, will you be eager to travel again as soon as possible, or will you be a bit cautious and wait, before taking that next big vacation trip, prog festival visit, etc.? Some are suggesting people will be travel crazy, as soon as it is allowed, but I know some who are not so sure, or want to wait out the potential rush of travel, when it is available again.

neil
    We'll be cautious. If people seem to be safe staying at hotels, we'll probably start with a couple of trips that don't involve flying (or cruise ships!). I won't be keen on being enclosed in a metal tube with strangers for a while...

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    I think the economy will bounce back rather quickly, as those who think this whole thing is a farce will continue their dangerous behavior, those who are just sick of being cooped-up will flood back to restaurants, travel, sporting events, etc., and those who are just waiting for their respective health authorities to say things are okay will start to get back to "normal life." But I do think there will be a not-so-insignificant number who will be more cautious. The activities of the previously mentioned will make up for that, though, and I expect businesses to bounce back, somewhat.

At least, that's what I hope.
    Yeah, one thing about the divided nation: it's been convenient having a cageful of willing canaries to test the air.

First Vax today (Pfizer.) Appointment for 3 weeks hence.

The only side effect I had was a marked uptake in the desire to drink craft beer around 6 PM...Wait, check that. Friday is not a recognized side effect.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Please feel free to elaborate and enlighten me.
    though every effort is being made to establish it's roots as left or right. You are a great example of making my point. You USE Covid as an excuse for turning a genuine personal and sensitive topic that is affecting everyone worldwide into a US style political ding dong. Enlighten you? Well I'm really sorry that I used the term 'roots' my bad...
    Dave Sr.

You USE Covid as an excuse for turning a genuine personal and sensitive topic that is affecting everyone worldwide into a US style political ding dong.
    ronmac is doing that? Turn on your TV. Go to the right-wing websites. You'll see it in full swing as an article of faith, and ronmac has squat to do with it.

though every effort is being made to establish it's roots as left or right. You are a great example of making my point. You USE Covid as an excuse for turning a genuine personal and sensitive topic that is affecting everyone worldwide into a US style political ding dong. Enlighten you? Well I'm really sorry that I used the term 'roots' my bad...
    Uh, I don't think so. I don't use COVID as an excuse for anything. I'm certainly not posting lies and twisting cherry-picked facts.

Unfortunately, and regrettably, the US has allowed this to become political. We, as a nation continually allow politicians to divide us over moral issues that we would otherwise mostly agree on. So, one really cannot discuss COVID in the US (and many other countries) without broaching the political dynamics. It is a primary factor of a likely majority of deaths. It's the reality. It would be a disingenuous and incomplete discussion without it. We cannot isolate ourselves in a cocoon and expect to be able to move beyond it without first acknowledging it.

You might not like some of the facts. But, you can't deny them. And sweeping them under the carpet only allows them to perpetuate,