Page 94 of 235 FirstFirst ... 4484909192939495969798104144194 ... LastLast
Results 2,326 to 2,350 of 5872

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

We had to evacuate the building today. Apparently a worker was exposed to some at home with Covid. So, they rang the alarm. I'm not too concerned. Not sure what's in store on Monday morning.

What's next? A swarm of locusts.....

[QUOTE=thedunno;983981]This is not true.
    https://jyllands-posten.dk/indland/E...demonstration/[/QUOTEr

I heard it on the Danish state Radio, but the newspaper says here its only 12 with symptoms and tested positive.

[QUOTE=Zeuhlmate;984009]
    Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    This is not true.
    https://jyllands-posten.dk/indland/E...demonstration/[/QUOTEr

I heard it on the Danish state Radio, but the newspaper says here its only 12 with symptoms and tested positive.
    Only 10 that were at the protest and it isn't sure they were infected there. Thats 0,066 % of a young socially active group.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A405FN met Tapatalk

In the U.K. the public have pretty much given up on the strict measures, there have been huge gatherings on beaches as the weather has been so hot this week. There have been many “illegal rave” type events, some of which have led to trouble with the police. Liverpool fans have been congregating and celebrating their title win. All of this with a steady backdrop of daily deaths, albeit much lower than previously.

Evidence seems to be pointing to the fact that the virus does not transmit well in the outdoor heat, and so a little more honesty by those in power might help the situation. You can’t keep a population locked down forever, the pressure cooker will eventually blow, especially where you do not lead by example, and so perhaps relaxing those summer situations where transmission is near zero would have been a good move. I have no doubt that come autumn and winter we will need to be far more ready to retrench again. A positive will be that so many will still be home working, and so the tube / train / bus contagion will be so much lower.

Evidence seems to be pointing to the fact that the virus does not transmit well in the outdoor heat,
    What evidence? Here in Texas, where it is hot, we are seeing spread at the highest rate ever. As is Florida. We are talking between the two states more than 14000 new cases per day.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    What evidence? Here in Texas, where it is hot, we are seeing spread at the highest rate ever. As is Florida. We are talking between the two states more than 14000 new cases per day.
    But do those infections happen indoors or outdoors? I strongly suspect indoors. Especially aircos are bad news for Covid19 infections since they reduce the air humidity. Aerosols like low humidity.

Airborn transmission through aerosols turns out to be the main driver of the pandemic. Read the conclusions in this recent American research
    https://www.pnas.org/content/early/2.../10/2009637117

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A405FN met Tapatalk

But do those infections happen indoors or outdoors? ...
    Does it really matter that much? By perpetuating an unproven "fact" that it dies in excessive heat, people are being reckless and letting their guard down. There's still a lot that we don't know about this.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Does it really matter that much? By perpetuating an unproven "fact" that it dies in excessive heat, people are being reckless and letting their guard down. There's still a lot that we don't know about this.
    Willfully, obdurately reckless. Which wouldn't be a problem if it were only these inconsiderate jerks that got sick.
    I am a Floridian, where the high temperatures have been in the 90s(F) for a month and we're seeing the highest number of positive tests yet.
    Of course it doesn't help that we've got an ignorant lickspittle as governor who, on May 20 blasted critics who he said predicted Florida would become the next New York or Italy, two notorious coronavirus hotspots. “Hell, we’re eight weeks away from that and it has not happened." Well, those fucking chickens are coming home to roost.

By perpetuating an unproven "fact" that it dies in excessive heat, people are being reckless and letting their guard down. There's still a lot that we don't know about this.
    I haven't heard anyone suggest it dies in the heat, other than The Hidden Man Who Does Not Exist On The Planet PE. However, I have heard reputable medical people speculate that it doesn't transfer well outdoors. According to them, that's where their evidence is pointing. As thedunno said. We shall see. If true, yes, it does matter much.

It matters a great deal that you know exactly where and how people get infected.
    If airborne transmission is indeed the dominant infection route you can specifically set measures to minimize that and loosen up other measures.

Now it seems that no one knows exactly what to do.

Btw. The virus does not die in heat. I read no research report that claims that. Aerosols become unstable in higher humidity so the risk of airborne transmission reduces a great deal. Warm air contains more moisture then cold air.

Stay away from air conditioned spaces with a lot of people.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    The passion at which some people are hell-bent on providing counter-narratives is nothing short of astounding to me. Between the opening, masks, and BLM, it's a much bigger problem these days than I imagined.
    True. But the passion at which some people are hell-bent on defending the dominant narrative is no less astounding to me. Fanaticism on a highly unclear and complex situation is a problem, whichever its source. And there has been plenty of that coming from various directions.

^^^ I think there would be a lot less defending the “dominant narrative” if the counter narratives weren’t so persistent. So this isn’t a “both-sidesism” from my perspective.

This is validated by the voracity of counter narratives on a variety of subjects that go way beyond the virus. This is a result of a generation of people listening to those telling them to distrust government, scientists, educators, media, doctors, fact check sites, and more. It’s not even anti-intellectualism. It’s willful impudence based on the idea that everyone has an agenda, every institution is controlled, and not to believe what you see with your own eyes because there is a conspiracy theory behind everything. “My confidence trumps your education”.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

It matters a great deal that you know exactly where and how people get infected.
    If airborne transmission is indeed the dominant infection route you can specifically set measures to minimize that and loosen up other measures.

My point is that, until we know for sure, it doesn't matter. Safety first. It's still better to be over-cautious than reckless.

This part bears repeating:

Until then, better safe than sorry. I have yet to read about anyone dying from being over-cautious.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    ^^^ I think there would be a lot less defending the “dominant narrative” if the counter narratives weren’t so persistent. So this isn’t a “both-sidesism” from my perspective.

This is validated by the voracity of counter narratives on a variety of subjects that go way beyond the virus. This is a result of a generation of people listening to those telling them to distrust government, scientists, educators, media, doctors, fact check sites, and more. It’s not even anti-intellectualism. It’s willful impudence based on the idea that everyone has an agenda, every institution is controlled, and not to believe what you see with your own eyes because there is a conspiracy theory behind everything. “My confidence trumps your education”.
    ^^ THIS!!!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenni Konner
    I think the biggest mistake we made is
    telling American that wearing masks
    is to protect other people. Know your
    audience!
    REALLY.

The idea of "I wear a mask to protect you (because I might be sick and not know it), and you wear a mask to protect me (because you might be sick and not know it)" just seems completely incomprehensible to the Real American Brain. The Real American Brain - which is NO FOOL - simply asks, "So what's in it for me?" And upon receiving the answer, "because if everybody wears a mask, everybody - including you - will be much less likely to get sick," the Real American Brain reiterates, "So what's in it for me? How does that give me an advantage over you and everybody else?" To which there is no answer, because the concept of benefiting everybody, not just me-over-you or you-over-me, makes no sense at all to the Real American Brain.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 06-27-2020 at 12:05 PM.

Fascinating ! I couldn't make it up...

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    The idea of "I wear a mask to protect you (because I might be sick and not know it), and you wear a mask to protect me (because you might be sick and not know it)" just seems completely incomprehensible to the Red American Brain™.
    Fixed.
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

Watched a town meeting from Florida where (mostly women) were saying that God breathed into man and you are restricting my breathing so you are evil and going against God. Men screaming that this is a republic not a democracy and you can't tell me what to do. It was frightening. This is the 40% that our nation has to deal with.

Here in the Phoenix Area, it's been over 100 almost every day since mothers day...some over 110. Yet, we have the worst outbreak in the country.

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    What's next? A swarm of locusts.....
    In north-eastern African countries like Kenya, there is in fact a plague of locusts.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

The virus obviously transmits well in the outdoor heat- this is especially true since most bars in Texas are, or were, open mainly outdoors, with reduced seating indoors. Wear a mask. Stop fighting an obvious and easy fix. Look at that idiot woman with all her conspiracy memes. Jesus. No wonder we are seeing this grow so much.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Fixed.
    John had it right. I could tell you about the Real Americans and their grizzlies, but that doesn't really exist in this dimension.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    In north-eastern African countries like Kenya, there is in fact a plague of locusts.
    Yes I'm aware of that. India has a locust problem too. It's like the four horsemen of the apocalypse.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Anyone know where these nutjobs are getting their information from? I'm curious as I don't consume Major Media. They are just parroting something they heard on TV or Radio......they don't read....

My neighbor asked me yesterday If I was going to Seattle today with other bikers and throw the "hippies" out of the Capitol Hill Enclave.....I asked him where he heard this and he wouldn't tell me.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga