Page 34 of 235 FirstFirst ... 243031323334353637384484134 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Stock up, but consume what you buy, and leave some for the rest of us. Hoarding is for assholes.
    TRUTH!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

"Giorgio Agamben’s Coronavirus Cluelessness

The Italian philosopher’s interventions are symptomatic of theory’s collapse into paranoia."

https://www.chronicle.com/article/Gi...amben-s/248306

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/viden/krop...gange-i-loebet

Danish medical professor in Infection Immunology Jan Pravsgaard Christensen says that immunity against covid 19 probably will last no longer than 3 years. This is the case for SARS.
    To stop the infection from passing around probably requires that the population has 80-90% immunity.

So a vaccine would thus come in very handy!

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    We are only as safe as the dumbest people out there.

Today, I took a trip to Costco and saw a great case for why this isolation needs to continue indefinitely:

1. A couple shopping with their young child. Look, if there are two of you, one should stay home with the kid(s). Do not shop in groups!

2. People standing in the middle of the aisle talking on the phone. Hey, six feet apart! How can we maintain a safe distance if you're right in the way? You wanna talk? Pull your damned cart into a corner and blab away.

3. People walking right at you. Really??!! Maintain a safe distance?

4. A trip to another grocery store showed that they have not given their workers rubber gloves. These people have no choice but to put their own safety at risk so they don't lose their paychecks. You'd think their employer would get them some protections. Perhaps they tried and couldn't find any. But I see them being used at many stores, so that seems unlikely.

Until this society wises up, we are screwed. Let that sink in and stock up; it's gonna be a long ride, folks.
    I went to Costco the other day and they only let in fifty people at a time. When twenty five would leave they would let in another twenty five.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

How about a little positivity? So many are hell bent and focused solely on finding negativity...it's so tiring. Get off the Dark Cloud Bus once in a while ya fucks! My town is supporting it's small restaurants, bars, deli
    s, by ordering take-out from them and they drop it off on porch...these same places are feeding local doctors, hospitals, essential workers...people are getting people supplies, groceries etc. Often times people that don't even know the people they are getting the stuff for...it's inspiring! There's a lot of light out there in the darkness folks.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe Sizlak

Quote Originally Posted by Klonk View Post
    How about a little positivity? So many are hell bent and focused solely on finding negativity...it's so tiring. Get off the Dark Cloud Bus once in a while ya fucks! My town is supporting it's small restaurants, bars, deli
    s, by ordering take-out from them and they drop it off on porch...these same places are feeding local doctors, hospitals, essential workers...people are getting people supplies, groceries etc. Often times people that don't even know the people they are getting the stuff for...it's inspiring! There's a lot of light out there in the darkness folks.
    Agreed, I feel great positivity here in the UK that people are really helping each other. Yesterday our National Health Service asked for 250,000 volunteers, they have got 405,000 already! Our government and so many public and private organisations are moving at incredible speed to achieve things that would never normally be possible. Yes, there are some selfish a-holes, always have been and always will be but the majority of people are pulling together and I'm starting to believe that some long term good will come out of this crisis, sadly too many will die but it might change us for the better once we get through it.

Good point.

I always make sure to thank those working at the grocery stores, delivering packages and any other business that are staying open. It's especially appreciated at the grocery stores where customers can be epic assholes, at times.

These people are heroes, even though they may have no choice.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Costco has groceries for delivery. Website states same day and 2 day service. For my area, I put in an order Tuesday morning selecting "same day" and received notification that my delivery will be Sunday afternoon between 4-5pm. I can live with that -- I ain't going anywhere!!

I shop Costco weekly for fresh fruit, so we are set with toilet paper and those items, but they are available for delivery and it will save you the time and health risk. Getting these groceries is great because we get milk and 5lb ground beef. I'll freeze most of the beef into 1lb increments.

Thank you for the reminder, Scott.

I'm thinking you'll have to remind us once per page though.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

We made a supply run to the grocery store this AM and saw all kinds of stupidity. We went between 10:00 and 11:00, which is usually a dead time for grocery stores and it wasn't packed with people but damn, what few there were there had a case of the dumb. I saw unattended children roaming free, a cluster of young men (oil field workers by the looks of them) moving through the store with no sense of personal space (and pretty much no fucking clue about anything), two men in their late 70s/early 80s with no sense of social distancing having a conversation and blocking the exit to the store, and on and on. If this country doesn't end up with two million dead it will be a miracle.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

My contribution to lightening up

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Orcopian
    At the weekend I was pretty alarmed by the half-arsed, going through the motions approach to social distancing being practiced in shops, but today when I visited Sainsbury’s supermarket things were really ramped up- limiting numbers in the store, which meant queuing outside in 2m gaps, trolleys wiped down with anti bac by staff. Inside everyone was keeping apart and not crowding, giving each other space. Whilst this was really encouraging to see, the fact that people were now taking govt advice seriously was quite chilling to see.

Quote Originally Posted by Flightwave View Post
    Thanks

Stock up, but consume what you buy, and leave some for the rest of us. Hoarding is for assholes.
    Absolutely... just saw some unusually empty shelves, and I'm not talking of TP and dried pasta

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    To stop the infection from passing around probably requires that the population has 80-90% immunity.

So a vaccine would thus come in very handy!
    problem is that among many younger couples, vaccine has become a dirty word, and in some countries, the %-age of school-age children having been vaccined for the usal polio, dyphteria-tetanos, etc... is down to around 50%, as the parents refuse to have their child vaccined. Thus we are re-seeing deseases we thought we had eradicated some years ago are making a come back

Truth be told that some of the aluminium adjuvants are thoughtto be unhealthy and could be a cause of Alzheimer multiplication cases. The main sources of aluminium in our food chains are in processed meats and old cuts.
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Trane
    problem is that among many younger couples, vaccine has become a dirty word, and in some countries, the %-age of school-age children having been vaccined for the usal polio, dyphteria-tetanos, etc... is down to around 50%, as the parents refuse to have their child vaccined. Thus we are re-seeing deseases we thought we had eradicated some years ago are making a come back
    Hard to fathom any portion of a generation seemingly turning away from science and making decisions affecting their kids' lives and the lives of those around them, based on bullshit. I remember being a kid when they invented the polio vaccine. My parents thought it was great that you could be inoculated against such a dreadful disease. No one in their right mind wanted polio, if they had a choice. There was no question I would be among those vaccinated at school, and I don't recall anyone opting out or being fearful. I think they put the vaccine on a sugar cube, so even those frightened of needles came through all right. I was too young to be among those vaccinated against measles, mumps and chickenpox. Those vaccines came later. We just had to suffer through those illnesses. According to my parents, measles nearly killed me. Dangerous disease, not just for one to catch, but it could cause birth defects if a pregnant woman caught it. Chickenpox seemed minor at the time I had it, but my wife has scars from catching it as an adult. Now there are idiots who think none of that matters, so long as they can remain veiled in ignorance about modern medicine.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I remember being a kid when they invented the polio vaccine.
    Dr. Jonas Salk's house is about a mile from where I live in Wexford, PA.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    Ah calls ‘em as ah sees ‘em, son.
    you made.your point, Lou apologized, get over yourself or you can go back in the thread and see what happened to the other self appointed threadcop.

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    you made.your point, Lou apologized, get over yourself or you can go back in the thread and see what happened to the other self appointed threadcop.
    That was nasty. But times are hard.

"Someone eats a bat and three months later the entire planet is on lock-down. Sounds reasonable."

Not my quote but taken from the comments of a youtube video.

1. Let’s stay on topic.

2. Religion/Anti-religion rants will be removed.

3. For Jeebus’ sake, don’t post hyper-partisan sources or videos.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

I was too young to be among those vaccinated against measles, mumps and chickenpox. Those vaccines came later. We just had to suffer through those illnesses.
    Yup I had all of these diseases. back then it was actually thought it was better to contract them as a kid to develop you antibody, so you wouldn't catch it later on in life (when it could have much wirse effects). Not sure if that "wisdom" is still applicable, though
    Not sure if those vaccines came later, but the only ones that are still mandatory are the one I mentonned (all of the others are optional)
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

A third of coronavirus cases may be ‘silent carriers’, classified Chinese data suggests

More than 43,000 people in China had tested positive without immediate symptoms by the end of February and were quarantined
    It is still unclear what role asymptomatic transmission is playing in the global pandemic

https://www.scmp.com/news/china/soci...ers-classified

Quote Originally Posted by Trane View Post
    Yup I had all of these diseases. back then it was actually thought it was better to contract them as a kid to develop you antibody, so you wouldn't catch it later on in life (when it could have much wirse effects). Not sure if that "wisdom" is still applicable, though
    Not sure if those vaccines came later, but the only ones that are still mandatory are the one I mentonned (all of the others are optional)
    I had the trifecta too. Back then if a kid in the street had chicken pox, parents would hold a play party and ensure they all caught it. I had a very mild dose, but it was enough for immunity. 20 years ago my daughter caught it, she was only about 3 and I counted over 400 spots, it was a horrible time for her, but once passed she was perfectly fine.

I saw a news article recently about the rise of mumps in university students, even inoculated kids were coming down with it, and it is quite awful in adults.

One thing I’m thankful for... if the virus was primarily targeting children, and I think you’ll agree with me, it would be a hundred, a thousand, times worse. Not in terms of numbers but tragedy and sorrow.

A second thought... and I wonder if many here are like me — I’m not so fearful of getting it, even though I’ve entered the most vulnerable age group (and gender) — but would absolutely hate to be an unwitting transmitter. If I catch it, I’m confident that I’ll get through it. And if I die, well, I’ll have to live with that.

But to be the guy who infects the elderly woman across the street...