Page 135 of 235 FirstFirst ... 3585125131132133134135136137138139145185 ... LastLast
Results 3,351 to 3,375 of 5872

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    There's great confusion in America about our Constitutional rights. There are far too many people who think their rights are absolute.

My right to free speech does not allow me to publicly slander people.
    An even bigger misconception is the First Amendment guarantees an "audience" for speech.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar

^ Sounds like putting a shiny spin on "We're a country full of thoughtless, heartless, selfish people."

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Many Americans are, these days. Not everyone, of course. I stay home most of the time, and when I go out I wear a mask. It's a minor inconvenience that may save lives.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Many Americans are, these days. Not everyone, of course. I stay home most of the time, and when I go out I wear a mask. It's a minor inconvenience that may save lives.
    There are people in the U.S. that think that was unfortunately, but I don't think it is the majority. I have friends all the way on the right and friends all the way on the left. Most of the right wingers are somehwat logical and willing to follow the rules, but we have some who feel exactly the comment above. it is sad, but true.

People here in the US aren't nearly as self-sufficient as they like to believe they are. It's only possible to be self-sufficient living off the land, in the middle of nowhere. In cities and suburbs, it's IMPOSSIBLE. Cannot be done.

Everyone needs someone to employ them, so they can afford to pay rent/mortgage, utilities, food, etc. They need someone to provide electrical, water, cable, and other services. Everyone needs someplace to buy food. Unless one squats in a house, and grows all the food they need in the backyard, they can't do it all on their own.

Even farmers need city folk to buy the food they grow. They're already operating at a loss. If they lost all income, they'd be screwed. Remember Cliven Bundy, who grazed his cattle for free on our land? He too needs someone to buy those cows. He doesn't go through the trouble of raising them, just so he can have many pets.
    Last edited by progmatist; 10-25-2020 at 04:51 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    True but OTHER countries are NOT recovering from Covid-19, there appears to be a worldwide escalation happening right now.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature

Stay safe down there, guys. Probably won't be serious action on this thing until at least January.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post

As far as anyone knows we are a nice normal country.

Voted. 90 minutes from soup to nuts. Feels great to be done.

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Voted. 90 minutes from soup to nuts. Feels great to be done.
    My wife rode by the polling place today just to check it out. She said it was packed as shit.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...e_iOSApp_Other

This news seems somewhat positive at least, fingers crossed we may have something of a game-changer before too long.

There is still a lot of discussion about the effectiveness of Masks on the spread of Covid-19. IN my country, the Netherlands, wearing masks in public places is advised but not enforced. There is still a lot of negative sentiment against wearing masks with a large part of the population.

I just saw this research that was performed in the state of Kansas. Kansas is interesting, because the state enforced masks but the individual counties in Kansas could choose to opt out. 75% of the countries choose to opt out. In this research they simply compared the counties that opted out against the counties that enforched wearing masks.

https://mediahub.ku.edu/media/Masks/...c089c7730be028

Very interesting and , for me, pretty convincing. It's only a 6 minute video so you can judge for yourself.

Covid: Antibodies 'fall rapidly after infection'

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-54696873

Levels of protective antibodies in people wane "quite rapidly" after coronavirus infection, say researchers.

Antibodies are a key part of our immune defences and stop the virus from getting inside the body's cells.

New Covid cases spiking in 3 counties where The Man Who Doesn't Really Exist would have held rallies if he actually existed. Experts say it's impossible to prove a direct correlation, but the finding is interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    There is still a lot of negative sentiment against wearing masks with a large part of the population.
    That's kind of surprising to me. Of course we expect that in the states but I thought Holland would know better. Is it generally the conservative population as it is here or an overall general disregard/ambivalence of the government? Do they ignore the truth that its spiking again in Europe?

That's kind of surprising to me. Of course we expect that in the states but I thought Holland would know better. Is it generally the conservative population as it is here or an overall general disregard/ambivalence of the government? Do they ignore the truth that its spiking again in Europe?
    The Dutch are in attitude somewhere in between the Anglo Saxon countries and the Scandinavian countries. It used to be a healthy distrust to the authorities but eventually, after some protests and complaining, we did what we were asked to do. Lately it is changing. A growing part of the population, under the negative influence of the social media information bubbles, are getting more and more opposed to the authorities.
    Its not (yet) an overall disregard but its growing.

I think that most people here wants to read some research that proves that it works more than 1% better than not wearing a mask.
    I dont know many who wears masks other places than where they have to (by rules or law).
    And you find used masks lying on the road, in nature, on the pavement etc. Who wants to pick them up?

What is proven to work is: cleanliness, distance, and not being many persons in a room, or at some gathering (music, sports etc.)
    Having bloodtype 0 has proven to be a good idea ;-) , and mingling at parties is probably the worst you can do. :-)

A woman I know well who works with covid-testing says that virus are so small (contrary to bacteria) that most masks have allmost no significanse.
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 10-27-2020 at 09:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    I think that most people here wants to read some research that proves that it works more than 1% better than not wearing a mask.
    I dont know many who wears masks other places than where they have to (by rules or law).
    And you find used masks lying on the road, in nature, on the pavement etc. Who wants to pick them up?

What is proven to work is: cleanliness, distance, and not being many persons in a room, or at some gathering (music, sports etc.)

A woman I know well who works with covid-testing says that virus are so small (contrary to bacteria) that most masks have allmost no significanse.

Bloodtype 0 has also proven to be a good idea
    The US has 8.5 millions infections. 1% of that is 85,000. Even if that percentage was true, that is not insignificant. Wearing masks is only one of a number of precautions. There is no silver bullet. Better safe than sorry.

Effectiveness of Cloth Masks for Protection Against Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome Coronavirus 2

Conclusions
    The filtration, effectiveness, fit, and performance of cloth masks are inferior to those of medical masks and respirators. Cloth mask use should not be mandated for healthcare workers, who should as a priority be provided proper respiratory protection. Cloth masks are a more suitable option for community use when medical masks are unavailable. Protection provided by cloth masks may be improved by selecting appropriate material, increasing the number of mask layers, and using those with a design that provides filtration and fit. Cloth masks should be washed daily and after high-exposure use by using soap and water or other appropriate methods.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    My wife rode by the polling place today just to check it out. She said it was packed as shit.
    Perhaps a colon cleanse is needed for this county?

Here you go.
    powerwash.jpg
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

One of my co-workers just returned from a vacation in Mexico.
    He works in the office every day, while the rest of us work an alternating day shift.
    Nothing against Mexico, but WTF. So he did not stay at home for any time before returning.
    The guy I works shifts with told me that the other guy told him to keep his distance.
    Meanwhile he is all over the building.
    Did complain to boss, really might be too late.
    Also mentioned to boss that going forward into the holiday season where almost all of the IT staff is taking leave that if someone is going away that they wait before returning.
    Grrrrrrrr.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

^^ I have a friend who just relocated to Cancun. Based on what he's telling me, Mexico is doing a far, far better job WRT safety protocols than we are here in the US. This friend is a cancer survivor (which is why he went to Mexico - to get life-saving treatments he can't get here) and simply had to get out of Ohio because of all the recklessness. Not a slam on Ohio in particular, as the utter stupidity is everywhere.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

One positive thing (from my perspective) is online meetings. I just got done with a Teams meeting with over 200 attendees. This was to recognize our company having a record year for patents (37 patents this year, our first 37 patents took 30 years to accumulate). It turned out to be a surprisingly good format for this sort of thing. Being an introvert, I hope we never go back to in-person meetings.
    <sig out of order>