Page 112 of 235 FirstFirst ... 1262102108109110111112113114115116122162212 ... LastLast
Results 2,776 to 2,800 of 5872

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    My wife keeps a bottle of hand sanitizer in the car. Think she must have bought it pre-plague. It's a life saver for me, because I will exit a market and drive off without thinking to clean my hands. Immediately I spot the sanitizer on the console, point the nozzle at my hand, sanitizer splatters everywhere in the car, and I'm good to go.

My husband keeps a bottle in his car and I keep a small bottle in my purse. I try to remember to sanitize before I get into my car so my car stays clean.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound
    ...with unexplained thoughts of a Russian hotel room.

My wife keeps a bottle of hand sanitizer in the car. Think she must have bought it pre-plague. It's a life saver for me, because I will exit a market and drive off without thinking to clean my hands. Immediately I spot the sanitizer on the console, point the nozzle at my hand, sanitizer splatters everywhere in the car, and I'm good to go.
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    My husband keeps a bottle in his car...
    That can be dangerous here in the desert. Temps inside a car, sitting in the sun can quickly rise to 150-160f/65-71c. In that kind of heat, alcohol based sanitizers can spontaneously combust, faster than a Spinal Tap drummer.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    That can be dangerous here in the desert. Temps inside a car, sitting in the sun can quickly rise to 150-160f/65-71c. In that kind of heat, alcohol based sanitizers can spontaneously combust, faster than a Spinal Tap drummer.
    You don't have to live in the desert to get temps inside of your car like that. Same thing here in PA. I used to have a thermometer in my 1970 AMC Javelin that would easily hit 150-plus in the sun.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I never use that stuff, you need bacteria on yours hands to kill off germs.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Apparently that's not true. I'm posting one article, but if you Google it there are many stating that hand sanitizer will not ignite unless an actual flame is introduced to it. But I live in a different climate, so you may have experience with this that I do not.

We rate the claim that alcohol-based hand sanitizer stored in hot cars can ignite FALSE because it is not supported by our research. Experts say alcohol-based hand sanitizer is flammable, but can only ignite if a flame is introduced. Although leaving small amounts of ABHS in your car does not pose a significant fire risk, it should not be kept in vehicles because high temperatures can lower its disinfectant ability.
    https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...es/5247418002/

While sanitizer may not combust in a hot car, I saw an article that said the heat would decrease its effectiveness (by evaporating the alcohol). Suntan lotion will lose its effectiveness in a hot car, too, oddly enough. Sorry I can't provide a link, it was on the website of one of my local TV stations a couple of weeks ago.

Recently - an immigrant in Denmark sanitized her bathroom, and then lit a cigarette.
    She didn't survive.

https://nyheder.tv2.dk/samfund/2020-...goeringsulykke

^ Smoking'll kill you, but this is the microwave version.

"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

My post was deleted. I guess it had a political reference.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    My post was deleted. I guess it had a political reference.
    He doesn't like camels.

Georgia school principal suspended the student who posted video of crowded hallway of maskless students

The punishment for telling the truth in school is suspension.

I briefly wondered what the punishment for telling the truth in government was, until I remembered that politicians never tell the truth.

By all means, punish the messenger and all your problems will magically go away, just like Covid-19.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

It will not go well for that school, no matter what they do with regard to the 15yo girl they suspended. Their rationale for not mandating masks falls easily since they have all sort of clothes-related rules they already impose. The ACLU is already aware, the young lady is not at all apologetic for what she did and is willing to take the suspension to make her point, and the principal comes off looking like someone with something to hide. And the ACLU is going to see if they suspend kids for using social media during school if they say something positive about the place; if so, then they have a restraint-of-speech case that they will easily make. All around adult stupidity here. Though the school, having fallen under the microscope, will now alter its traffic flow patterns.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

The student has been reinstated and her record wiped clean. The superintendent couldn't take the heat/scrutiny.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    The student has been reinstated and her record wiped clean. The superintendent couldn't take the heat/scrutiny.
    But thankfully, the principal Gabe Carmona will have that stain on his permanent record.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Last edited by Dana5140; 08-07-2020 at 03:50 PM.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

-- Aristotle

"leaders are just “hoping people make the right choices.”

The right choice would be staying home, so, no, they aren't going to make the right choices.

Bikers pour into South Dakota for rally expected to draw 250,000, stoking virus fears

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140;991198But stupid is as stupid does: [URL="https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/08/06/motorcycle-rally-coronavirus/?hpid=hp_national1-8-12_sturgis-940pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans"
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/nation/2020/08/06/motorcycle-rally-coronavirus/?hpid=hp_national1-8-12_sturgis-940pm%3Ahomepage%2Fstory-ans [/URL]
    Why didn't the governor ban the event?
    - Too attracted to the revenue?
    - Too afraid of the backlash from the big bad bikers?
    - Persuaded (somehow) by lobbyisys?
    - ... or just as thick as a brick..?

FAIL!

IMHO
    Regards,

Duncan

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    Bikers pour into South Dakota for rally expected to draw 250,000, stoking virus fears

- Too attracted to the revenue?
    - Too afraid of the backlash from the big bad bikers?
    - Persuaded (somehow) by lobbyisys?
    - ... or just as thick as a brick..?

FAIL!

IMHO
    I hope if anyone gets sick because they went there they are refused medical care over people who have tried not to get sick.

I have nothing against bikers, and recognize the importance of this annual gathering, but if there was ever a year to cancel it, this would be that year. Sometimes, you gotta engage your brain.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn
    The right choice would be staying home, so, no, they aren't going to make the right choices.
    Exactly. Skip this one and be alive for the next one.

I was at COSTCO today and they have a mandatory mask rule. I saw two guys in their 20s in the store without masks. I said, "Shouldn't you two be wearing masks?" One sheepishly mumbled, "No," and the other obviously lied that he had a medical condition.

Why are these fucking retailers allowing people to break their rules?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post

Because she couldn't. The bikers would have showed up anyway, and been furious that she'd tried to close it down. Close to a million angry tough guys + lots of motorcycles + lots of alcohol + lots of guns spells an unbelievable amount of trouble, and possibly multiple fatalities. And I suspect that a whole lot of bikers have similar political convictions to the armed Michigan State House gallery protesters - they believe that COVID-19 doesn't really exist, and consider it some kind of Fake News Chinese or Democratic Party plot against President Trump. As well as thinking that they are too tough to get sick.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 08-08-2020 at 07:54 AM.

As a resident of the state to the north of South Dakota, I can tell you that the governor of that state has been in a state of denial since this started. SHE also had issues with the meat packing plants that were COVID petri dishes in the southeast corner of the state. I am certain that she's not going to miss out on the state's biggest tourism payout week just because of a little Chinese flu...
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart