Page 49 of 235 FirstFirst ... 394546474849505152535999149 ... LastLast
Results 1,201 to 1,225 of 5872

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    When we first started trying to clean the basement of black mold and scrape up asbestos floor tiles in the early 00s, my wife got a couple face masks. My April project is to get the basement reorganized, we had a flood in the fall and now I've got time to get it all straightened out. What do I find but two N95 masks. Not sterile of course but I'll try my best to clean them up. They have metal strips in the nose area so it's not like I can put them in the microwave. Maybe the dishwasher?
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    ^^^ Clean them by hand with woolite or something similar and then use a hot iron! That will get them hot as hell and steam them clean. My wife works in a hospital and that's how we're cleaning our home-made masks. Caveat - if the old masks are not in great shape or have the start of dry-rot they may not hold up to ironing.

<edit> On second thought, I'm not sure N95's will hold up to this treatment like ordinary cloth masks, but maybe they will. Also if your'e looking to disinfect I also don't know other than using vaporized hydrogen peroxide, which some hospitals use on equipment in general and some are using on N95s as well I'm told...
    Don't N95 masks eventually expire?
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

^^^ Yeah I don’t think I’d use them. Just make a cloth mask. It’s not like anyone comes to North Dakota anyway.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Banned
    ^^^ 5 years if sealed per 3M but that does mean it’s not a hell of a lot better than nothing even if expired - and Top Cat is right- throw those suckers out if you found them unpackaged and exposed in a moldy basement, I guess that’s the case if you feel you have to clean them up. My bad and good catch Mr. Top Cat.

Having corona infection for the second time?

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN2020040...ional/national

Times like this makes me appreciate PE all the more. An unbiased place where people from around the world can talk freely with no agenda behind it is becoming rarer. Thank you all for sticking with us all these years.

I like this one.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Laura

As most of you probably know, Japan enacted emergency measures a few days ago, extending through the 7 most infected prefectures. My prefecture, with only 11 confirmed cases thus far (knocks on wood three times) is not among them but almost all domestic flights from those locales to where I am have been suspended and its very far by train.

For those keeping score, Japan's recent spike can be attributable to a few things: March 20-22 was a three-day weekend, typically used for Cherry Blossom Viewing parties. While the numbers were definitely down from previous years there were still crowds entering and leaving the most popular locales (such as Shinjuku Gyoen Mae in Tokyo). The other is March 31/April 1st which marked the end/beginning of the fiscal and academic years in Japan. A number of people changed jobs, schools, and dwellings on these days -- which probably didn't help. We were also late in completely closing off flights from certain countries (cough- U.S. - cough- U.K. cough)

The emergency state has very little legal force -- it is not a lockdown of the type we are seeing in many other places. In Japan (like Sweden) there is a belief that most of the public will naturally comply with common sense behaviours due to social cooperation and peer pressure (Japan is not at all heavy-handed in terms of arresting miscreants of any stripe relying instead on ingrained social mores). The biggest problem however is the work. In Japan, showing your face at work and being at your desk looking busy is prioritized over actually getting your work done. The idea of working from home is anathema to those employed in those ubiquitous Tokyo/Osaka offices, which means that they are still commuting on the trains. One of the rare instances in which efficient transit system has its down side. Although I can access my work computer (at a university hospital) from home, many Japanese institutions and businesses don't allow this to happen for the sake of security. But now its a question of data security vs. public health...

On a very positive note, I noticed that in Thailand the number of recoveries has been higher than the number of new infected cases for a few days now. A lot of Asia seems to have flattened the curve but I suspect Japan might be behind it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    There's a vid circling on Facebook among proggers but I can't make it work here. Toyah Willcox posted under the caption Happy #lockdown lunch. Anyhow, she and her husband, some dude named Robert, dance in evening wear in their kitchen. Fripp actually smiles. HE SMILES!
    and people still claim this isn't the end of the world... now we have evidence!
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    ^^^ 5 years if sealed per 3M but that does mean it’s not a hell of a lot better than nothing even if expired - and Top Cat is right- throw those suckers out if you found them unpackaged and exposed in a moldy basement, I guess that’s the case if you feel you have to clean them up. My bad and good catch Mr. Top Cat.
    no problem, my friend. I was just addressing the issue of using them again in general and not in response to your post.

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    Times like this makes me appreciate PE all the more. An unbiased place where people from around the world can talk freely with no agenda behind it is becoming rarer. Thank you all for sticking with us all these years.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Czech nudists reprimanded by police for not wearing face-masks

https://kafkadesk.org/2020/04/05/cze...ng-face-masks/

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    and people still claim this isn't the end of the world... now we have evidence!
    Toyah posted it on Twitter as well:

https://mobile.twitter.com/toyahoffi...63820053381122

Good news perhaps:

In Denmark you donate blood on voluntary basis, you don't get payed, and the blood is used on danish hospitals after a screening.
    1.487 donations have been checked for corona but only 1,6 of 1000 had antibodies against covid-19.
    If we assume that the test is not perfect, one estimates that 127.000 persons (of 5,5 millions) have been infected in Denmark and the mortality is thus only 0,16 percent.
    Donors are generally in better condition than the average person, so probably more than 127.000 are infected, which leads to an even lower mortality rate.

But if your infection was very mild, it might not protect you against another covid-19 infection.

This is qualified guesswork and estimations.

https://www.dr.dk/nyheder/indland/do...kaster-nyt-lys

Mask update - upon further inspection, one of the N95s was never used and in a safe place. The other one was used and is in the trash. My wife ordered cloth masks off Amazon last week. They'll get here end of May/early June so her BFF is going to sew a few for us and mail them.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Having corona infection for the second time?

https://en.yna.co.kr/view/AEN2020040...ional/national
    Relapsing from an infection that was never fully neutralized is different from contracting the virus a second time after the immune system has already handled it (which is not what this article seems to be about). This can happen with any virus, and it's a reason to be sure to get enough rest and fluids etc. so that your immune system can fight it off completely.

It is pretty cool, right?
    I want to dynamite your mind with love tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by lak611 View Post
    I like this one.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
    Touché!.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by SunshipVoyager1976 View Post
    Toyah posted it on Twitter as well:

https://mobile.twitter.com/toyahoffi...63820053381122
    Thanks for this!

Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by polmico View Post
    It is pretty cool, right?
    Yes and yes and thanks to you all!.
    And as I wrote before:

One for All, All for One!.

Pura Vida!

Pura Vida!.

Duke Ellington.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    ...and thanks to you Sean for inviting us into your house for all these years!!!!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

It was so nice out today Scott dressed casual for work:

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Coronavirus : la Finlande découvre que ses 2 millions de masques achetés à la Chine sont inadaptés
    Les protections «made in China» commandées par le pays scandinave ne respectent pas les normes requises pour être utilisées dans un environnement médical.
    L'Espagne, la Turquie et l'Australie renvoient leurs masques chinois

http://www.leparisien.fr/societe/cor...=AD-1481423552

English: https://translate.google.com/transla....php&sandbox=1

Interesting article that focus on the science that shows NYC cases largely coming from Europe:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/08/s...e-genomes.html
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Interesting article that focus on the science that shows NYC cases largely coming from Europe:

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/08/s...e-genomes.html
    Basicly showing that NY has more contact with Europe (Italy?) than with China (Wuhan region) ?

can't believe that China would (knowingly?) deliver unfit masks after being the origin of Covid

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Basicly showing that NY has more contact with Europe (Italy?) than with China (Wuhan region) ?
    More like a chain reaction: Wuhan-Iran-Italy-Spain-then NYC as the worst hit countries or cities
    (France fits between Italy & Spain, but that's border states)

France has epicenters (like Alsace and Oise), but plenty of place where with few cases
    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.