Page 121 of 235 FirstFirst ... 2171111117118119120121122123124125131171221 ... LastLast
Results 3,001 to 3,025 of 5872

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I wish we could request that with someone else.
    It's even better if you get to fire someone!

My state has been spiking for weeks with the daily cases increasing every day. My wife and I had to make a supply run to another more populated town and while we took precautions, we were a little nervous. There's a new Costco that has opened up about three hours away (before that, the closest was a good six hour drive). The temptation is to go at the end of September (when the grand opening crowds had abated) and then stock up for the coming winter. My wife hates travelling and is insisting on staying over night in a motel. It occurs to me that this increases our exposure and I am starting to think we should just make it a long day and do it all in one "turn n' burn". I foresee an epic argument brewing and I'm not relishing it.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I didn't even know there were motels still open during the pandemic. Doesn't seem like a good idea. Travel is being discouraged. But maybe after a nightcap of bleach a motel is more tolerable. Or some hydroxychloroquine.

Last edited by spellbound; 08-28-2020 at 06:46 PM.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I didn't even know there were motels still open during the pandemic. Doesn't seem like a good idea. Travel is being discouraged. But maybe after a nightcap of bleach a motel is more tolerable. Or some hydroxychloroquine.
    fTQws[/video]
    We are staying a motel in Wisconsin as I write this due to a death in my wife's family. All hotels both here and in Michigan where I live are open, although most of them are not doing maid service / room cleaning. Once you are in your room, they don't clean it until you check out. Mask use is required unless you are in your room too.

So here at UNI we just finished our 2nd week of F2F classes and the U health center released yesterday the testing stats for COVID. 1st week: 18% positive, 2nd week: 32% positive. This comes after the weekend in between featured students descending en masse on the bars, causing our governor to close all bars in the counties containing and adjacent to the state universities (and the largest private college) two days ago with less than 12 hours notice. All shocking, I know; after all, who could have predicted that college students would behave like college students have for, well, forever? I know a couple of bar owners who were really trying to do the right thing, and they're being punished for the idiocy of the other owners and the children. One called it "the death blow" to his establishment. F#cking tragic.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

Here in the U.K. cases remain low for now, but with some regional spikes. However across Europe there is a general trend upwards in cases, although rate of death is much lower than in the original wave. This is perhaps due to the cases being more within the younger and more resilient population. How matters develop over the autumn will be intriguing, but we are seeing mask usage in all shops and public spaces, though not bars and restaurants. Whether this is enough to make a real difference if the wave increases is a matter of concern.

Our schools are all going back now, but trains and buses are still under-utilised and there is a push from government to shame people into commuting again, to supposedly save our sandwich shops. I’m being cynical, but that is the thrust of the messaging. We have four going back to Uni over the next month in four different cities (Leeds, Berlin, Warwick and Exeter), but it is unclear how much face to face tuition will be given. Naturally this migration of our young folk will lead to more exposure and incidence, and it’s the older folk like me who perhaps need to be concerned when they all return for Christmas.

In Canada, most schools don't go back until September 8th, although some school districts have postponed opening schools until the following week to give the schools more time to prepare. In Ontario, there is much arguing between teacher unions and the provincial government about the amount of additional funding needed for smaller classes and more teachers to keep everyone safe.

In Quebec, classes resumed this past Monday. On Tuesday one school shut down when two of the teachers tested positive. The other 20 teachers have been asked to self-quarantine.

Many parents are creating "learning pods" where four or five families with similar aged children will work together to create home schools. I have a friend with a daughter that should be going into Kindergarten this year. Her brother has three young children in grade school. They have formed one of these "pods" and will keep their kids at home until, at least, January while taking turns teaching them at home. They will reassess their situation at the end of the year once there is some indication of how safe the schools are.

I am expecting a spike in September when kids return to school. The only thing that remains to be seen is how bad the spike is and exactly who it affects.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I have a friend with a daughter that should be going into Kindergarten this year...
    My grandson should be starting kindergarten this year as well.

My daughter and son-in-law decided some time ago that they would home-school him for the foreseeable future.
    Regards,

Duncan

My wife's cousin died this morning.

He had cancer, complicated by a kidney infection. Then he got Covid.

Exactly what caused the death is unclear, so I don't know if that would be classified as:
    - Covid
    - Covid-related, or
    - non-Covid.

Either way - a sad day in our household.
    Regards,

Duncan

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    My condolences, Duncan.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

I'm very sorry for your family's loss Duncan. The cause of death is only a statistic. The pain is the same.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I'm very sorry for your family's loss Duncan. The cause of death is only a statistic. The pain is the same.
    Very well said. My sincere condolences Duncan.
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

My deepest sympathies to you and your family. And to all with losses due to this dreadful disease.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Oh, Duncan, I am so sorry. Cause does not matter now, family does. Gail and I send our deepest condolences, which will never be enough.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Just got back to PA from visiting Wisconsin. Only went in a convenience store besides my son's house. No customers wearing masks and my son's mother in law said she see's more Trump/Pence signs that masks in their area. I would think it is more prevalent in urban areas my son lives in a small hamlet that half the town clears out after summer is over.

Just last summer, I took the trip from my son's place to Madison to visit Progeezer. Seems so long ago in a different world.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    Just got back to PA from visiting Wisconsin. Only went in a convenience store besides my son's house. No customers wearing masks and my son's mother in law said she see's more Trump/Pence signs that masks in their area. I would think it is more prevalent in urban areas my son lives in a small hamlet that half the town clears out after summer is over.

Just last summer, I took the trip from my son's place to Madison to visit Progeezer. Seems so long ago in a different world.
    Curious, where in Wisconsin were you? We just spent a week in the New Glaurus / Bellview area due to a death in my wife's family. We went out several times to stores, and restaurants. Everyone seemed to be following the rules, pretty much everywhere we went. I did not see anyone without a mask inside except when at their tables in the restaurants.

Thanks, all, for the kind thoughts on the passing of my friend - who is my wife's cousin.

We'll be joining a "funeral-by-Zoom" soon - the second one we've attended.

Strange times....
    Regards,

Duncan

Out of adversity comes opportunity. My husband's cousin opened an art school a few years ago. She caters mostly to kids but also does some adult classes. She's done very well, and has even expanded her space when the store next door became available. When Covid hit, she had to close the school for about four months, but she managed to adapt by selling art kits and holding online classes. Now that kids are returning to school, she is adapting again.

Looking for a safer back to school option?

For parents who aren't able to supervise remote learning themselves, we've created a weekday learning support program in our studio for students in grades 3-7.

We are committed to assisting our students in successfully achieving their grade expectations this school year. Under the guidance of an Ontario Certified Teacher, students will complete their remote studies (online or offline) in our bright, clean and well-ventilated studio on the Danforth. In addition, we'll supplement their learning with our fun and engaging arts and social issues programming, and spend lots of time outdoors.
    I have to admire her entrepreneurial spirit, creativity and ability to adapt to the situation when so many small businesses like hers are closing their doors.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Curious, where in Wisconsin were you? We just spent a week in the New Glaurus / Bellview area due to a death in my wife's family. We went out several times to stores, and restaurants. Everyone seemed to be following the rules, pretty much everywhere we went. I did not see anyone without a mask inside except when at their tables in the restaurants.
    I was in Williams Bay WI

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    I was in Williams Bay WI
    Interesting, that is not all that far away from where we were.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    It does sadly seem to be a town by town thing. I have a friend that recently lived in florida. Where he was everyone generally followed the rules (masks, distancing, etc) but the next town over, he described as a free for all, with people doing whatever they pleased, restaurants packed, etc etc. I would imagine this would be the case elsewhere.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

In Denmark it is patchy as well, but seems mostly to be in areas where immigrants live - or events where there have been many young people gathered (parties, discotechs).

AstraZeneca Puts Leading COVID-19 Vaccine Trial on Hold Over Safety Concern

https://www.nytimes.com/reuters/2020...trazeneca.html

"The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    ^ And you were expecting what, exactly?
    Exactly what happened.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"