Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Anyone know where these nutjobs are getting their information from? I'm curious as I don't consume Major Media. They are just parroting something they heard on TV or Radio......they don't read....

My neighbor asked me yesterday If I was going to Seattle today with other bikers and throw the "hippies" out of the Capitol Hill Enclave.....I asked him where he heard this and he wouldn't tell me.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

I. Just. Can't. This is your government in action:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...154_story.html
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

^^ That's reckless endangerment and dereliction of duty.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by Paulrus View Post
    Fixed.
    They call themselves "real Americans". So I do as well, but with the addition of full capitalization to indicate the phrase's status as a meme, cliche, buncombe belief, political catch-phrase, or advertising slogan. I stopped using the (null)™, a while ago, because I felt it was unnecessary - I decided that the capitalization was sufficient to indicate that it was a idea to be wary of at the minimum, and possibly quite a bad and dangerous one.

Quote Originally Posted by Baribrotzer View Post
    They call themselves "real Americans". So I do as well
    I cede them that as well. I call myself a Fake American, and then tell them that Fake Americans are superior to Real Americans. They think they can win an argument without any debate, without any critical thinking skills applied. Merely by an assertion or claiming a name. Everything I see them push has a simplistic viewpoint at the fore, and if they win the label, they win the debate. It's sub-junior high intellects at work. If I posted here what I told my best friend, I'd probably be banned. As the Great Lord would say, "Sad!"
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I cede them that as well. I call myself a Fake American, and then tell them that Fake Americans are superior to Real Americans. They think they can win an argument without any debate, without any critical thinking skills applied. Merely by an assertion or claiming a name. Everything I see them push has a simplistic viewpoint at the fore, and if they win the label, they win the debate. It's sub-junior high intellects at work. If I posted here what I told my best friend, I'd probably be banned. As the Great Lord would say, "Sad!"
    Indeed. Just try to argue big-picture or, dare I say, introduce nuance into the debate. It's useless.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Reading the posts here, and looking at the videos which were posted recently, I'm wondering if such aggressive opposition to wearing masks has happened anywhere else than in the US. My assumption would be that, beside the current political tensions, there are specific cultural grounds for such attitudes that make it typically american (US).
    I see cases of carelessness almost everywhere I look, including in my own surroundings, but not such cases of aggressive opposition. I may be wrong of course.
    Last edited by Interstellar; 6 Days Ago at 09:06 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    Reading the posts here, and looking at the videos which were posted recently, I'm wondering if such opposition to wearing masks has happened anywhere else than in the US. My assumption would be that, beside the current political tensions, there are specific cultural grounds for such attitudes that make it typically american (US).
    I see cases of carelessness almost everywhere I look, including in my own surroundings, but not such cases of aggressive opposition. I may be wrong of course.
    Here (nl) masks are only obligated in public transport. In there everyone wears one. Everywhere else (almost) no one does.

So we cant say there is an opposition against wearing masks. It was never obligated or even advised to wear one.

Our infections still decrease btw.

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A405FN met Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Here (nl) masks are only obligated in public transport. In there everyone wears one. Everywhere else (almost) no one does.

So we cant say there is an opposition against wearing masks. It was never obligated or even advised to wear one.

Our infections still decrease btw.
    Thanks for sharing. In France the government's stance on this has changed through time : at first masks weren't recommended, then they were. Like in the Netherlands, they are only obligatory in public transports and some specific places. I haven't heard anyone complain about having to wear them - but many people complained about the lack of masks at the peak of the crisis.

In Portland, OR, the government is now officially requiring masks inside businesses, and on public transport. I have seen people on the MAX light-rail, and inside Fred Meyer (a local grocery, division of Kroger) without them, but not many; and that might have been more a matter of forgetting them, or being down-and-outs who don't think about much except panhandling enough for the day's booze purchase. Also, I ate at a restaurant where they were required for everyone except for those sitting at a (socially-distanced) table and eating. Some places have a stack of them on a table near the door, and I think the point is that people without them can be given one and asked to put it on or leave.

But here, it still seems to be mostly social pressure - just the idea that the more people wear them, the fewer will get sick. Since Portland is full of liberals, that works. Someone asserting his proud "Red Pill Independence" would probably be treated as an idiotic public nuisance, rather like an obstreperous drunk or a sidewalk ranter.

^^ I think the problem in the US is that the anti-mask aggression, while certainly here, is being amplified by the news and social media channels.

My biggest problem is not with the fools who don't understand the concept of liberty and have nefarious agendas. My biggest problem is with those who have built the trust of others and then violate that trust by downplaying this and sowing doubt.

Then there are those in the Executive branch who are in denial, put their political survival ahead of the survival of their constituents (such irony!), send mixed messages and spread lies.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    COVID 19 on decline in Canada. I think people have respected physical distancing and wearing masks. Still a threat though.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

A professor of epidemiology in Sweden (Jonas Björk) recommended this study of the uneven spread of the Covid19 in Europe:

https://www.europeandatajournalism.e...OVID-19-deaths
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Allegheny County PA (Pittsburgh) just ordered bars to stop selling alcohol. Looks like we're goin back into shut-down.

Other restrictions from the county include that masks must be worn by patrons unless they are eating or drinking at the establishment. Any businesses that violate these restrictions will be investigated by the county and forced to shut down for at least a week. Restaurants are asked to maintain physical distancing, decrease occupancy to 50% and prioritize outdoor seating.

They are also recommending a 14 day period of self-isolation for people who travel out of state or to have two negative COVID-19 tests with at least 48 hours apart from the first test.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Pure tribalism is all it it. I will not do what your tribe does. Ever. Even if it kills me.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
    Looks like Maryland is in the middle starting to make a rise again.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Very low numbers here in Vermont, but one wonders for how long?

Meanwhile, home sales here are going crazy while out-of-staters try to buy homes here in this "safe" area. There are bidding wars driving prices up in some areas. It was already hard enough for businesses to hire workers who would be able to afford to live in (as the worst example) the Burlington area and this is only getting worse as home prices are being driven up.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

Quote Originally Posted by Interstellar View Post
    Thanks for sharing. In France the government's stance on this has changed through time : at first masks weren't recommended, then they were. Like in the Netherlands, they are only obligatory in public transports and some specific places. I haven't heard anyone complain about having to wear them - but many people complained about the lack of masks at the peak of the crisis.
    Greece is exactly the same. Masks were widely available though; it's gloves that weren't, during the peak.
    Macht das ohr auf!

COSMIC EYE RECORDS

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Very low numbers here in Vermont, but one wonders for how long?

Meanwhile, home sales here are going crazy while out-of-staters try to buy homes here in this "safe" area. There are bidding wars driving prices up in some areas. It was already hard enough for businesses to hire workers who would be able to afford to live in (as the worst example) the Burlington area and this is only getting worse as home prices are being driven up.
    Absurd.
    Don't people believe the virus can spread to Vermont ?
    Where will they move next?

Report: Bible Belt Christians Are Dying After Ignoring Social Distancing Guidelines

https://www.patheos.com/blogs/progre...ng-guidelines/

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Absurd.
    They don't get it do they?

Occipital Provocatee Plasmatopia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Absurd.
    Well the virus is here and has been for some time but infection rates have been low. We had our initial spike and now things appear to have settled for the time being. Just look at where VT is on the chart you posted. The more things start to open up that will likely change. I do think it's easier for people to isolate here than in large cities though.
    Just sitting at home rocking back and forth and jealously caressing my invisible collection of theoretical assets.

California is back to shutting down again and something else is a hoax.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

This article in the NYT is pretty essential reading:
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/06/30/s...s-spreads.html