Page 148 of 235 FirstFirst ... 4898138144145146147148149150151152158198 ... LastLast
Results 3,676 to 3,700 of 5872

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

A larger peer reviewed study in Denmark (approx 5000 people) of masks, shows that the risk of getting infected whith or whithout masks is almost the same. There is no significant difference.

They have not investigated whether persons with covid-19 protects others better by using a mask.

https://ing.dk/artikel/stort-dansk-m...-mindre-240871

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    A larger peer reviewed study in Denmark (approx 5000 people) of masks, shows that the risk of getting infected whith or whithout masks is almost the same. There is no significant difference.

They have not investigated whether persons with covid-19 protects others better by using a mask.

Just read this in todays paper. But the article points out that there are several studies that contradict this conclusion.

^ I recall South Korea and possibly New Zealand credited their getting the spread under control to the wearing of masks. It makes sense to me.

Well, that's the reason for wearing them: protecting others. I don't recall anyone suggesting that they protect wearers from getting it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Well, that's the reason for wearing them: protecting others. I don't recall anyone suggesting that they protect wearers from getting it.
    That was the case. In the last 2 weeks, the CDC amended their guidelines and stated that masks appear to protect the wearer as well.

We can't fix stoopid. If mask wearing was mandatory, and strictly enforced in every state the situation wouldn't be quite as bad, I think.

Pfizer will file for vaccine approval tomorrow: https://www.usnews.com/news/health-n...cine-on-friday

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    Pfizer will file for vaccine approval tomorrow: https://www.usnews.com/news/health-n...cine-on-friday

If we had a heart emoji, I would have used that.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post

If we had a heart emoji, I would have used that.
    I believe Moderna is very close too.

I saw this tweet the other day.
    Remember this when they talk about TheVaccine ( depending on the distributed version ):

Omg what's the first thing you're gonna do when YOU get the vaccine shot??
    You're gonna go back home, wait a month, get your second shot, go back home, wait 14 days for antibodies, then keep wearing a mask and social distancing until community transmission reduction. That's what.
    — Jesse Case (@jessecase) November 18, 2020
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Here's the thing: For masks to work, everyone needs to wear them. Wear a mask to protect others from yourself, and vice-versa.

I just had a conversation today with a friend who is a physical therapist, and he mentioned how many people still don't believe in wearing masks (or washing their hands) to prevent spreading germs to others.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    I believe Moderna is very close too.
    Moderna actually made their announcement before Pfizer, and their vaccine has the advantage of not needing to be stored at very cold temperatures.

Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post

I just had a conversation today with a friend who is a physical therapist, and he mentioned how many people still don't believe in wearing masks (or washing their hands) to prevent spreading germs to others.
    Well, their first mistake, and it's a massive one, is basing their action on belief, instead of scientific, factual evidence.

Unfortunately, this is the way millions live their lives in general, every day, as a rule.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    One quarter million deaths. Just stunning. RIP.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Well, their first mistake, and it's a massive one, is basing their action on belief, instead of scientific, factual evidence.
    This. So much this.

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by aith01 View Post
    I just had a conversation today with a friend who is a physical therapist, and he mentioned how many people still don't believe in washing their hands to prevent spreading germs to others.
    !!!

Yikes. I knew the science distain ran deep in this country I just didn't realize it was that bad. It's not often I'm taken aback by human ineptitude but congrats, you found a time!
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

^ It's been created as a belief/knowing (belief=knowing) among a huge part of the population. This is the culmination of creating Fox News, and the creation of a separate narrative (often false) for a segment of the population that wants to have their belief system ratified and presented as reality. This chasm has as much to do with the intractable political divide we currently have as anything anyone could name.

Bill Gates was on the Daily Show tonight - he said that there were a couple other companies that were close as well.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I know this isn't the What Are You Reading thread. But I recommend "It Was All A Lie" by Stuart Stevens. Gives insights to the mindless.

Quote Originally Posted by Hobo Chang Ba View Post
    !!!

Yikes. I knew the science distain ran deep in this country I just didn't realize it was that bad. It's not often I'm taken aback by human ineptitude but congrats, you found a time!
    And you remember about anti-vaccines. Vaccination helped to stop dozens of dangerous diseases, but clowns were found who from all holes broadcast that vaccination is harmful, but those diseases are not at all terrible. And someone believes in this idiocy, and mothers massively refuse to vaccinate their children. This is terrible! That's exactly the same thing about hand washing. We were told from childhood that we went to the toilet - wash our hands. Why do we brush our teeth? Well, that is, there is some kind of elementary hygiene that should always be present in a person's life, and not only during a pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    Moderna actually made their announcement before Pfizer, and their vaccine has the advantage of not needing to be stored at very cold temperatures.
    I had not heard that Moderna had announced when they were going to file for approval. Is it today? Yes, their vaccine has a refrigerated shelf life of around 30 days, which is longer than the Pfizer vaccine.

The City of Toronto (huge city) locked down completely.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I was just coming to post this. York Region (me) not locked down yet, but we're usually a week behind. I better go stock up on bread, eggs, flour and toilet paper. (just kidding!)

Good thing I got my hair cut (in Toronto) a couple of weeks ago. First hair cut since last February. Based on that timeline, I should be good until next August (the benefits of long hair).

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I was just coming to post this. York Region (me) not locked down yet, but we're usually a week behind. I better go stock up on bread, eggs, flour and toilet paper. (just kidding!)

Good thing I got my hair cut (in Toronto) a couple of weeks ago. First hair cut since last February. Based on that timeline, I should be good until next August (the benefits of long hair).
    With the acceptance of masks, distancing, hand washing in Canada, I thought we were different. NOT. Ottawa is in a Red zone and could experience a lock down too. I'm just growing so tired of the whole isolation thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    It's not a complete lockdown...at least not as complete as the first one. More stores are allowed to be open, including big box stores like Home Depot, however, with a reduced capacity.
    Dave Sr.

I prefer Nature to Human Nature