Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    And, you notice that after the election we stopped hearing about it.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    And, you notice that after the election we stopped hearing about it.
    I think that's because everybody's chillin'...waiting for it to go away. You know, like a miracle.
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

The lobby has an entrance. In this case, four, three of which were closed.

Speaking of closing, let's close out this silly discussion, shall we?

Here's my original quote:

This is a correct statement. It's obvious to anyone with a grade-school education who can handle a compound sentence that I am clearly referring to the entrances to the shopping cart area. I even shared a photo for the right-brained out there ... twice.

Yet, now a structure with four walls and a roof is not a building. And a door is, apparently, not a door ... "semantically."

So, much to the delight of everyone else here, this discussion is over, unless my two friends want to do some high fives and have a victory parade out of the building that's not a building through the door that's not a door.
    Alternate facts , just alternate facts my friend.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Does this ever end? We're in a code red still in Ottawa.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Does this ever end? We're in a code red still in Ottawa.
    Depends on the percentage of Covidiots.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

The only place I go indoors that all people are not wearing masks is Walmart. Why don't they enforce their policy. At least two people each time I go there are not wearing masks and many others not covering both mouth an nose. What is it with these people?

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    I've been aware of the term "asymptomatic" for 30 years. I suspect it was around long before that as well.
    Typhoid Mary would be the most famous asymptomatic carrier.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    The only place I go indoors that all people are not wearing masks is Walmart. Why don't they enforce their policy. At least two people each time I go there are not wearing masks and many others not covering both mouth an nose. What is it with these people?
    It usually falls on the minimum wage peons to enforce mask mandates. Surprisingly, they don't relish the wrath of covidiots for $7.25 and hour.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

I know someone who works at Best Buy and they require masks to enter the store. But they won't refuse entry if someone isn't wearing one. However, the employees can refuse to serve the customer if they don't have a mask.

Also, the only person I've seen at a store not wearing a mask, it was hanging around her neck, had that mask and a baseball cap with the name of a candidate who lost his election.

Quote Originally Posted by tdotdo View Post
    I know someone who works at Best Buy and they require masks to enter the store. But they won't refuse entry if someone isn't wearing one. However, the employees can refuse to serve the customer if they don't have a mask.

Also, the only person I've seen at a store not wearing a mask, it was hanging around her neck, had that mask and a baseball cap with the name of a candidate who lost his election.
    The election was a fraud though.

Quote Originally Posted by tdotdo View Post
    I have a friend that works at Lowe's and refuses to serve anyone not wearing a mask. Lowe's totally supports this.

So now that Toronto is in lockdown and stores can only provide curb-side pick-up, there is much concern that folks from Toronto will come here to York Region (just north of Toronto) to shop, further crowding our stores and malls. The region has upped their game to assign Police and By-law officers to check on stores and ensure that they are not exceeding capacity. Out of over 400 stores checked on Friday, eight were charged and fined. On Saturday over 100 stores were checked and another eight were charged and fined. The good news is that most stores are complying with the laws to reduce capacity. Not surprisingly, a couple of Costco stores were among those charged.

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I have a friend that works at Lowe's and refuses to serve anyone not wearing a mask. Lowe's totally supports this.

So now that Toronto is in lockdown and stores can only provide curb-side pick-up, there is much concern that folks from Toronto will come here to York Region (just north of Toronto) to shop, further crowding our stores and malls. The region has upped their game to assign Police and By-law officers to check on stores and ensure that they are not exceeding capacity. Out of over 400 stores checked on Friday, eight were charged and fined. On Saturday over 100 stores were checked and another eight were charged and fined. The good news is that most stores are complying with the laws to reduce capacity. Not surprisingly, a couple of Costco stores were among those charged.
    Every time I go to Lowe's around here, I see workers not wearing masks properly, or congregating amongst themselves sharing germs.

I hope those fines are hefty enough to prevent more violations. Otherwise, they are ineffective and will be viewed merely as the cost of doing business.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Every time I go to Lowe's around here, I see workers not wearing masks properly, or congregating amongst themselves sharing germs.

I hope those fines are hefty enough to prevent more violations. Otherwise, they are ineffective and will be viewed merely as the cost of doing business.
    Unless you're a very small business, the fines are a joke. The fines handed out have been $880. I'm sure Costco laughed at that. I think that companies can be charged up to $500,000. Not sure of the amount...but it's six figures.

There's a restaurant owner in Toronto that refused to close his business to indoor dining last week and promoted on social media that he would open. It was quite clear that this was a protest and meant to challenge the lockdown.

On day one, the police arrived and didn't close him down. The restaurant was crowed and people were not wearing masks. On day two they did close the place down and laid non-criminal charges. When he vowed to open again on day 3, the Police changed the locks early in the morning so he couldn't open. He gained entry to the restaurant from the back, broke through drywall into the main restaurant, and damaged the new locks. By the end of the day both the restaurant owner and another person were arrested. The owner was released the next day on $50,000 bail and a bunch of other conditions. He is now raising money for legal fees on GoFundMe and, at the time that I'm typing this, has raised over $275,000. His original goal was $10,000.
    Last edited by ForeverAutumn; 11-29-2020 at 07:39 PM.

Yes, the Pickering Town Centre was reporting much larger crowds than normal, no doubt due to the restrictions in Toronto. I'm still a bit confused by the curb side pick-up, which businesses are closed thing, though. It seems like a lot of places are still open, even those not selling essentials.

neil

The owner was released the next day on $50,000 bail and a bunch of other conditions. He is now raising money for legal fees on GoFundMe and, at the time that I'm typing this, has raised over $275,000. His original goal was $10,000.
    That is absolutely insane.

neil

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post

neil
    Insanity comes in bunches, apparently.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Quote Originally Posted by boilk View Post

neil
    There is now a Change.org petition for GoFundMe to remove the fundraiser.

https://www.change.org/p/gofundme-st...share_petition

There is now a Change.org petition for GoFundMe to remove the fundraiser.

https://www.change.org/p/gofundme-st...share_petition
    I signed it. Still an unreal situation. Hoser coviots.

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I signed it. Still an unreal situation. Hoser coviots.
    . I also sent an email to GoFundMe. I believe that his fundraiser goes against their Term of Use which states,

Without limiting the foregoing, you agree:

not to use the Services to raise funds or establish or contribute to any Campaign with the implicit or explicit purpose of or involving:

for the legal defense of alleged crimes associated with hate, violence, harassment, bullying, discrimination, terrorism, or intolerance of any kind relating to race, ethnicity, national origin, religious affiliation, sexual orientation, sex, gender, gender identity, gender expression, serious disabilities or diseases, financial crimes or crimes of deception;

Over 10% of North Dakota and 9% of South Dakota have had virus. Yet many still deny it on their death beds.

and you think this country can grasp climate change?????

and you think this country can grasp climate change?????
    Well, we're getting a nice 3-5 inches of snow in Western PA right now. So, as Sean Hannity would say, "So much for global warming." And the tragic part is that millions will parrot that blithering moron.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

^ But he's their blithering moron.
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

The pandemic lays bare 2 paradoxes: 1) Not so long ago, working at home was so desirable, many people fell for work at home scams. Now that working at home is essential, it's universally hated. 2) People of a certain political and religious stripe wanted to pull their kids out of school, and home/online school their kids. Now that schools are or have been shut, those are the people screaming the loudest schools need to be reopened.

Well, we're getting a nice 3-5 inches of snow in Western PA right now. So, as Sean Hannity would say, "So much for global warming." And the tragic part is that millions will parrot that blithering moron.
    After ginning up their base for a quarter century, that network has created a monster they can no longer control. Now they've become too liberal for their base, who opt instead for Newsmax.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    The pandemic lays bare 2 paradoxes: 1) Not so long ago, working at home was so desirable, many people fell for work at home scams. Now that working at home is essential, it's universally hated. 2) People of a certain political and religious stripe wanted to pull their kids out of school, and home/online school their kids. Now that schools are or have been shut, those are the people screaming the loudest schools need to be reopened.
    Interesting points.

I love working from home and have been doing it for more than ten years.

I think that two things we learned is how many businesses can still function with people working remotely and, more importantly, how those who are disabled can still be gainfully employed while working from home.

WRT the religious stripes who wanted to pull their kids out of public school, they simply wanted my tax dollars to fund their religious schools (which already happens, BTW). And they didn't want to pay property taxes to fund public schools, even though they benefit as a society by having the masses educated. I'm not so sure they ever wanted to actually get their hands dirty and teach their own kids.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    Obviously anecdotal but, everyone that I know that was forced to work from home greatly prefers it, and two (that work in retail) wish they could work from home.
    No humor please, we're skittish.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I have the option to work from home but I prefer the physical product...... They need a tech, physically at the building. We don't do house calls so they have to bring the hardware to the building. I'm off this week so they'll feel it.