Page 235 of 235 FirstFirst ... 135185225231232233234235
Results 5,851 to 5,872 of 5872

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

The fact that this even needs to be said is pathetic.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

A by-product of everyone today being an expert on almost anything, especially if they have no advanced education in the particular subject.

The loud mouth on the corner stool at the local bar has won. Much to the detriment of all of us.

Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    The fact that this even needs to be said is pathetic.
    Pretty much.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly View Post
    We have an outdoor concert venue about 45 minutes north of me that I have heard is going to announce a 30 show schedule that will begin at the end of July. I have tickets for several indoor shows in the fall at a local theater (these are re-scheduled COVID dates) and they are pretty confident that these shows will happen.
    There's a venue here called the Marquee Theater, right on Tempe Town Lake. In the past, they've hosted bands like Dixie Dregs and Queensryche. They've been closed most of the pandemic. Within the past month while passing on the train, they were setting up an outdoor stage. That must not have been successful because 2 days ago, the parking lot was fenced off with temporary chain link fencing, and the Marquee announced church services.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by BarryLI View Post
    Problem is you still have all the anal retentive knuckle draggers who won't get vaccinated.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Problem is you still have all the anal retentive knuckle draggers who won't get vaccinated.
    It's fun to have this caricature in our head about anti-vaxxers but there's a pretty large chunk of un-vaccinated people right now that just need a little education. Sure, some are the people that read one Facebook post and decide Bill Gates is trying to steal their Uber eats account info with the vaccine or whatever, and you'll never win those people, but I'd venture to say there are far more that just want more information and could change their mind if their fears were addressed with a healthy dose of both data and compassion.

It's fun to have this caricature in our head about anti-vaxxers but there's a pretty large chunk of un-vaccinated people right now that just need a little education. Sure, some are the people that read one Facebook post and decide Bill Gates is trying to steal their Uber eats account info with the vaccine or whatever, and you'll never win those people, but I'd venture to say there are far more that just want more information and could change their mind if their fears were addressed with a healthy dose of both data and compassion.
    After four years of Donald Trump you still had 75 million people vote for him. So it's not about information and facts, it's about either you care or you don't care.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

I agree with this. I've experienced it myself - mostly with respect to the AstraZeneca vaccine which is easily and readily available here now at many pharmacies. But I know people that would rather wait a month or more until they can get an appointment at a mass clinic offering Pfizer or Moderna. If they did a little research about the real risk instead of listening to the fear mongering playing out on the news, I think they would take the first vax available.

It's not quite the same thing as at least these people want to get vaccinated, but it is slowing down the speed at which vaccination is happening.

One of the foremen where I work was touting the "shedding" nonsense yesterday. Swears it's true.

It's fun to have this caricature in our head about anti-vaxxers but there's a pretty large chunk of un-vaccinated people right now that just need a little education.
    Yup, have seen this, and the value of being patient and realizing not everyone has time to be on top of the science.

Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    Yup, have seen this, and the value of being patient and realizing not everyone has time to be on top of the science.
    One doesn't have to be "on top of" the science, just trust those that are. And trust in scientists is in short supply right now.
    David
    Happy with what I have to be happy with.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Sorry we've had 900,000 deaths, get the fucking vaccine.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    One doesn't have to be "on top of" the science, just trust those that are. And trust in scientists is in short supply right now.
    Yes

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    There's a venue here called the Marquee Theater, right on Tempe Town Lake. In the past, they've hosted bands like Dixie Dregs and Queensryche. They've been closed most of the pandemic. Within the past month while passing on the train, they were setting up an outdoor stage. That must not have been successful because 2 days ago, the parking lot was fenced off with temporary chain link fencing, and the Marquee announced church services.
    Are you sure that wasn’t for a special one-time event? The Marquee rents their theatre to Hope Church for Sunday service for some time now.

One thing we can all agree on is that there is no lack of information about vaccines.

Yes, some people hesitate for their own reasons, some being historical, some being the influence of snake oil peddlers and a certain media conglomerate, some being misled by their so-called elected "leaders." But there is no shortage of truth, either. And yes, while they are not all knuckle-draggers (an allegation that Shadow did not make), there are far too many of them having their willful ignorance reinforced by many of these other factors. We cannot count on them for anything productive.

We also have asses in the medical community spreading the same shit. Rand Paul, the whiny lunatic who claims to be a doctor, is one of the biggest offenders. My own dentist was even peddling the myth that mRNA vaccines changes our DNA. Some of these BS peddlers are in positions of trust and are a serious barrier to achieving herd immunity.

Hence my lack of hope. There's far too much historical record to have any confidence.
    Last edited by ronmac; 05-08-2021 at 11:32 AM.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    One thing we can all agree on is that there is no lack of information about vaccines.

Yes, some people hesitate for their own reasons, some being historical, some being the influence of snake oil peddlers and a certain media conglomerate, some being misled by their so-called elected "leaders." But there is no shortage of truth, either. And yes, while they are not all knuckle-draggers (an allegation that Shadow did not make), there are far too many of them having their willful ignorance reinforced by many of these other factors. We cannot count on them for anything productive.

We also have asses in the medical community spreading the same shit. Rand Paul, the whiny lunatic who claims to be a doctor, is one of the biggest offenders. My own dentist was even peddling the myth that mRNA vaccines changes our DNA. Some of these BS peddlers are in positions of trust and are a serious barrier to achieving herd immunity.

Hence my lack of hope. There's far too much historical record to have any confidence.
    I have a book that I recently purchased by Charles P. Pierce called Idiot America: How Stupidity Became A Virtue In The Land Of The Free. I expect it to be very revealing. However, it dates from 2009/2010, so it probably only scratches the surface on where we are now.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    I have a book that I recently purchased by Charles P. Pierce called Idiot America: How Stupidity Became A Virtue In The Land Of The Free. I expect it to be very revealing. However, it dates from 2009/2010, so it probably only scratches the surface on where we are now.
    Green Day nailed it.

Don't want to be an American idiot
    One nation controlled by the media
    Information age of hysteria
    It's going out to idiot America

American Idiot is a killer album.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post
    The 2021 version should be entitled Anyone Who Disagrees With Me About Anything is Stupid, it would of course be inclusive of politics, religion, and more importantly pizza toppings.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I still remember an episode of the Andy Griffith show from the mid 60s in which Andy and a nurse try to convince a farmer to get a tetanus shot. The more things change, the more they stay the same. We as a race are still slave to the reptilian part of our brain.

Quote Originally Posted by Gruno View Post
    Are you sure that wasn’t for a special one-time event? The Marquee rents their theatre to Hope Church for Sunday service for some time now.
    Could be. I've certainly never seen the church advertised on the Marquee before, while passing on the train. It could be because they're just reopening due to the pandemic.
    Last edited by progmatist; 05-08-2021 at 03:06 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Time to live out my dream of being a roadie for the summer?

https://access.intix.org/Full-Articl...ave-moved-on-1

Hi everyone...

This thread was created, in large part, to consolidate the concerns regarding COVID at the time into one focused thread. At this point, I think it has served its purpose and run its course. As such, we are closing the thread.

That is not to say that the pandemic is over of course, but I think a large part of the uncertainly is now behind us and everything continues to trend in a positive direction. If there should be a need to re-open it, we will consider it.

While there will understandably be some topics on the board (especially involving live shows/festivals) that will bring up discussion about COVID, we ask that everyone refrain from creating a replacement thread to this one or steering other unrelated threads for the same purpose. We will remove threads and posts that drift too far and/or get political or antagonistic.

We would like to thank all the positive contributors to this discussion over the last 14 months. I think it was therapeutic, even cathartic for many, and I hope everyone stays safe and healthy in the months to come.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.