Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

  1. #5501
    All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    1,989
    Quote Originally Posted by smcfee View Post
    Some of the "journalism" around vaccines has been really, really irresponsible and may end up getting people killed because they feared the vaccine more than the disease.
    This could be said regarding the "journalism" about pretty much everything, these days. Dark times.

  2. #5502
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    8,690
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Yesterday my husband and I started talking about things that we can do to change things up a bit. Like playing games together. We used to play backgammon when we were dating but haven't played in years. We could learn how to play chess or bridge.
    Well, since you have a husband...Twister. That'll cure what ails ya.
    I like the part where Icarus hijacks the Little Red Hen.

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  3. #5503
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,026
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    The problem for me is enforcement. It doesn't matter where I'm going, if I'm pulled over my answer is that I'm going to the grocery store. If it's in the evening then my answer is that I'm going to my mother's house because she lives alone and needs assistance. How is an officer going to prove me wrong? This is hypothetical for me, of course, because I haven't left my house for anything non-essential in months.
    Well, points well-taken, but I suppose if an officer checks your ID, and you say you are going for groceries, but are 30 minutes from your residence, when there are 4 grocery stores within 5 minutes of said residence....that might raise an eyebrow, or two! The airline issue, with the border and in-Canada flights not being fully closed, is definitely a problem.

    My decision is going to be, with the weather getting warmer, is should I risk going to my cottage. Not allowed under the current situation, but when we go up there, we bring our own food and keep to ourselves. The odds of needing to interact with anyone are very slim. And the mental benefits of being outside and away from the city, are huge. Decisions, decisions.

    neil

  4. #5504
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,026
    I've been quite fortunate, in that I've been able to start working from home, I have a lot of hobbies I can indulge in at home, a backyard to start enjoying with the nicer weather, so it hasn't been too depressing.

    The only thing that is really sad to me right now, is that even though people are starting to get vaccinated across Ontario, the numbers are still yet to go down. I know it takes some time for things to kick in, but a bit of positive news would be great, right about now.

    neil

  5. #5505
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    The problem for me is enforcement. It doesn't matter where I'm going, if I'm pulled over my answer is that I'm going to the grocery store. If it's in the evening then my answer is that I'm going to my mother's house because she lives alone and needs assistance. How is an officer going to prove me wrong? This is hypothetical for me, of course, because I haven't left my house for anything non-essential in months.
    I have historic tags on two of my vehicles so you are only supposed to drive them on weekends. The cops don't even bother pulling you over during the week because all you have to say is you are going to see your mechanic.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

  6. #5506
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Toronto, Canada
    Posts
    1,026
    Well, looks like the police powers to stop people who are out and about in Ontario, and ask them why, have already been reversed:

    https://ca.news.yahoo.com/ontarians-...080000023.html

    neil

  7. #5507
    Moderator Poisoned Youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Nothern Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,489
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    Thanks for posting this Greg. I was beginning to think I was alone with these sentiments. Just got my 2nd Covid shot but realizing nothing will probably change for me the remainder of 2021. We slog on.....together.
    Quote Originally Posted by adap2it View Post
    I got my first shot on Mar 1, but it's been all downhill since. It wears a bit thin listening to the continuing excuses about why we have stay with the status quo even if it's ineffective, which is proving to be the case.
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I share your sentiment. The present situation is very discouraging. I stay home, I do everything that I'm supposed to do, and yet numbers keep going up because other people aren't willing to do the same.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rick L. View Post
    Nobody feeling fucked up about this way of living is alone. This definitely sucks. If it weren't for my dog and music, I would have lost my remaining marbles months ago.

    We still attach a very strong stigma to mental health, feelings of depression, anxiety, etc. Because of this stigma these types of feelings can make you feel further isolated because you might feel a little embarrassed or that "you're the only one" who feels that way.

    Most people recognize and empathize with people who have physical disabilities or even temporary ailments or broken bones. But we usually do not immediately see or observe mental health/well-being issues the same way. What makes matters worse is that many tend to trivialize the problem others have if they don't feel the same way. You might hear things like "we are all depressed, but when I feel that way I get on my own two feet and won't let it happen - and you can do that too."

    In the end we treat mental health and well-being as an internal struggle when it doesn't have to be. And I think it's important to remember that, dysfunctional as we may be, we are a community here. And as this last page indicates, more people are struggling with the same issues than we might realize.

    Speaking for myself, part of me realizes that we might not see a semblance of normal until summer/fall - but then there's next winter and we don't really know how the situation might worsen for one last time. It is easy to tell yourself, it's only 3 more months (or 6 more months or whatever), but then you have to get yourself through it one day at a time and it feels like it never ends.

    For me, I would usually try to distract myself of the routine of being home by focusing on work. And while I'm grateful to be working from home, the work itself can get quite frustrating. If I'm not dealing with the pressure of selling and closing new jobs/clients for the company during this time where they are increasingly dependent on me, I'm stressing over the actual jobs (difficult to manage people and measure productivity when everyone is working from their own space). In normal times, I would escape and revel into my home as a sanctuary. But I can't do that now. So it feels like I'm caught in this endless loop at times and it can begin to feel demoralizing even when things appear to be on the upswing.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

  8. #5508
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    8,690
    Every time the semi-lockdown has me feeling depressed, I just remind myself...Less than 3 months, and you're a free man.
    I like the part where Icarus hijacks the Little Red Hen.

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  9. #5509
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    13,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    We still attach a very strong stigma to mental health, feelings of depression, anxiety, etc. Because of this stigma these types of feelings can make you feel further isolated because you might feel a little embarrassed or that "you're the only one" who feels that way.

    Most people recognize and empathize with people who have physical disabilities or even temporary ailments or broken bones. But we usually do not immediately see or observe mental health/well-being issues the same way. What makes matters worse is that many tend to trivialize the problem others have if they don't feel the same way. You might hear things like "we are all depressed, but when I feel that way I get on my own two feet and won't let it happen - and you can do that too."

    In the end we treat mental health and well-being as an internal struggle when it doesn't have to be. And I think it's important to remember that, dysfunctional as we may be, we are a community here. And as this last page indicates, more people are struggling with the same issues than we might realize.

    Speaking for myself, part of me realizes that we might not see a semblance of normal until summer/fall - but then there's next winter and we don't really know how the situation might worsen for one last time. It is easy to tell yourself, it's only 3 more months (or 6 more months or whatever), but then you have to get yourself through it one day at a time and it feels like it never ends.

    For me, I would usually try to distract myself of the routine of being home by focusing on work. And while I'm grateful to be working from home, the work itself can get quite frustrating. If I'm not dealing with the pressure of selling and closing new jobs/clients for the company during this time where they are increasingly dependent on me, I'm stressing over the actual jobs (difficult to manage people and measure productivity when everyone is working from their own space). In normal times, I would escape and revel into my home as a sanctuary. But I can't do that now. So it feels like I'm caught in this endless loop at times and it can begin to feel demoralizing even when things appear to be on the upswing.
    Mo, thanks for your comment too. I don't have a lot to add, I think you've highlighted some pretty imporant issues. The thing that strikes me most is the true sense of community here on PE. I raise this issue and 6 people jump in to point out we're not alone with these feelings. I should emphasize that I have an amazingly rewarding (but stresssful) career and I've learned to manage staff from afar but yet fairly effectively. My wife is a huge support, she's a psychotherapist and practices at home. We really like being together 24/7 and have a big house were we can both retreat in solitude to listen to music, meditate, my wife does yoga. She's very optimistic and empathetic person. So, I should have pointed out that I'm grateful for what I have but it's still a struggle. For me, the biggest refuge is listening to music everyday and then discussing it on PE and learning a ton from others.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  10. #5510
    All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    1,989
    Two of the adjacent counties have opted for full reopening on May 1, others on June 1, since our governor has chosen to let county and local governments, rather than the state, decide pandemic matters. I'm sympathetic to small businesses that have been shut down during the coronaplague, but not if premature reopening means many more of us will die.

  11. #5511
    Member adap2it's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ontario Canada
    Posts
    1,018
    Vaccine envy...my daughter in Fort Myers for the winter, sent me this screenshot.

    Screenshot_20210418-100049.jpg
    Dave Sr.

    I prefer Nature to Human Nature

  12. #5512
    Member moecurlythanu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    The Planet Lovetron
    Posts
    8,690
    ^ The local hospital called me up and asked me if I wanted a vaccine. I had to tell her that I was scheduled for shot number 2 in their house on the 22nd.
    I like the part where Icarus hijacks the Little Red Hen.

    http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

  13. #5513
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Two of the adjacent counties have opted for full reopening on May 1, others on June 1, since our governor has chosen to let county and local governments, rather than the state, decide pandemic matters.
    That's called leadership!
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

    - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

  14. #5514
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    13,917
    My wife and I got our first shots today, moderna.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  15. #5515
    Member ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,258
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    We still attach a very strong stigma to mental health, feelings of depression, anxiety, etc. Because of this stigma these types of feelings can make you feel further isolated because you might feel a little embarrassed or that "you're the only one" who feels that way.
    Well said.

  16. #5516
    Member BarryLI's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Bronx, NY
    Posts
    487
    https://apnews.com/article/politics-...d35337ec7ce969

    Half of US adults have received at least one COVID-19 shot.
    Last edited by BarryLI; 3 Weeks Ago at 09:31 AM.

  17. #5517
    Studmuffin Scott Bails's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Near Philly, PA
    Posts
    4,599
    To add on to what others have said, I went through a pretty serious bout of "COVID Fatigue" in February. February isn't a great month for me, in general, as I think I suffer from a mild form of seasonal affective disorder, but it gets even rougher when you've already been locked up for months. I made it through, thankfully, and my mood and condition has improved as the weather has warmed and gotten more sunny, but I can totally empathize with those who are struggling. This can be a very difficult ordeal for some, and the fact that it has gone on for so long with no end in sight can be very discouraging.

    My only suggestion is to get outside when you can, get some fresh air, a little exercise, etc. It's helped me immensely.
    Music isn't about chops, or even about talent - it's about sound and the way that sound communicates to people. Mike Keneally

  18. #5518
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    13,917
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    To add on to what others have said, I went through a pretty serious bout of "COVID Fatigue" in February. February isn't a great month for me, in general, as I think I suffer from a mild form of seasonal affective disorder, but it gets even rougher when you've already been locked up for months. I made it through, thankfully, and my mood and condition has improved as the weather has warmed and gotten more sunny, but I can totally empathize with those who are struggling. This can be a very difficult ordeal for some, and the fact that it has gone on for so long with no end in sight can be very discouraging.

    My only suggestion is to get outside when you can, get some fresh air, a little exercise, etc. It's helped me immensely.
    Scott - thanks for your honestly and sharing. I agree with the point of getting out and enjoying the outside to exercise!
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  19. #5519
    Man of repute progmatist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Mesa, Arizona
    Posts
    2,282
    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails View Post
    To add on to what others have said, I went through a pretty serious bout of "COVID Fatigue" in February. February isn't a great month for me, in general, as I think I suffer from a mild form of seasonal affective disorder, but it gets even rougher when you've already been locked up for months. I made it through, thankfully, and my mood and condition has improved as the weather has warmed and gotten more sunny, but I can totally empathize with those who are struggling. This can be a very difficult ordeal for some, and the fact that it has gone on for so long with no end in sight can be very discouraging.

    My only suggestion is to get outside when you can, get some fresh air, a little exercise, etc. It's helped me immensely.
    Just being stuck inside all the time can induce Seasonal Affective Disorder. Even here in Phoenix in mid April. Definitely go outside.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

  20. #5520
    Irritated Lawn Guy Klonk's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Rockland, NY
    Posts
    1,602
    My advice is to shut off the news and get out into the woods if you can...with your dog if you got one. Power off and get on the trails. I'm fortunate enough to live near some large state parks here in NY, but if there's nothing nearby, it's worth a trip. Nature has a way of mending the most broken of souls. I'd be lost without it, pandemic or not.
    "Who would have thought a whale would be so heavy?" - Moe

  21. #5521
    Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Everywhere with helicopter
    Posts
    230
    I'm very lucky to have a beautiful public park just a mile down the road from our home. My dog and I go early every morning after we see my wife off to work. Our pace has slowed in recent months, as both the dog and I feel the years advancing. But I'll add my voice to the choir: Just getting outside and breathing helps everything from my mood to how well I sleep.

    Both my wife and I are fully vaccinated and by May 1 we intend to start emerging from the bunker gradually. Firstly, to visit our second grandson, born last August, whom we've seen only once.
    No matter how corrupt, greedy, and heartless our government, our corporations, our media, and our religious and charitable institutions may become, the music will still be wonderful. - Kurt Vonnegut

  22. #5522
    I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Boston
    Posts
    7,241
    Had a walk along the beach at the end of my street this afternoon. It was very nice.

    beach.jpg
    Ian

    Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

  23. #5523
    Member Jerjo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    small town in ND
    Posts
    4,920
    We are still freezing most days but I figure by the end of next week I can begin walking outside again every morning. I find I have to have at least forty above to get my ass out the door and we were at 15 above this morning. So I still to my treadmill downstairs but it is not the same.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

  24. #5524
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    13,917
    I just went for a walk with my wife and dog. I don't have the wonderful water/beach next door but the leaves are starting to come out now which is very encouraging. Our temperatures have been the 60s or so in the past two week.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  25. #5525
    Member ForeverAutumn's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    1,258
    Even if you can't get outside, just sitting in a sunny window can do wonders. We have a sunroom on the back of our house that gets beautiful morning sun. This morning I had back-to-back work meetings so I picked up my laptop and moved to the sunroom for my meetings. It was so much nicer than sitting in the spare bedroom that has become my home office. Even though I was indoors, feeling the sun warm me through the windows was wonderful.

    Quote Originally Posted by Scott Bails
    To add on to what others have said, I went through a pretty serious bout of "COVID Fatigue" in February. February isn't a great month for me, in general, as I think I suffer from a mild form of seasonal affective disorder, but it gets even rougher when you've already been locked up for months. I made it through, thankfully, and my mood and condition has improved as the weather has warmed and gotten more sunny, but I can totally empathize with those who are struggling. This can be a very difficult ordeal for some, and the fact that it has gone on for so long with no end in sight can be very discouraging.
    I suffer from SAD. Like you, February is brutal. I usually feel the symptoms lift about two weeks after the clocks change. This year it took until last week before I started to feel better. You may want to invest in a good light therapy lamp. I think it really helps me. I have two lamps from this company and the quality is excellent. https://northernlighttechnologies.ca/

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •