Page 97 of 235 FirstFirst ... 478793949596979899100101107147197 ... LastLast
Results 2,401 to 2,425 of 5872

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Costa Rica is currently in its second wave.
    That's likely still part of the first wave, regretfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    "A friend attended the party while sick" !
    A friend who was at the party reached out to Macias to say he had coronavirus, and he was aware of the diagnosis when he attended the gathering but didn't think he could infect anyone because he had no symptoms, Lopez said.
    Either someone who wasn't paying attention (possibly) or someone who listened to those sowing doubt and underplaying the severity of it (likely). I'm betting he was a victim of misinformation unless he lives in a cave.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    He posted his regrets over attending a party in California. The next day, he died of coronavirus

https://edition.cnn.com/2020/07/02/u...rus/index.html

"A friend attended the party while sick" !
    The time lines on this story seem hard to fathom. Seems hard to believe he died three days after getting his results unless he was incredibly sick to begin with.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    There were a least two July 4th parties on my street yesterday. They didn't bother me: a little noise, talking, music does no harm. Most of the activity went on in back yards where I could not see. The few people I saw were not wearing masks. I was concerned with the health of the partiers, not their celebratory acts. One party erupted into many backyard fireworks at dusk. I'm sure it was fun for the children there. All personal fireworks are illegal everywhere in this town, due to the fire danger. I didn't turn them in, and minded my own business, again being more concerned with health than celebration. The city's aerial fireworks show was cancelled due to the pandemic, as were most of the ones in nearby towns. They didn't want people gathering to watch.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    All personal fireworks are illegal everywhere in this town, due to the fire danger. I didn't turn them in, and minded my own business, again being more concerned with health than celebration.
    I know this is off-topic, but I was bbq-ing in my backyard (I'm a recent transplant to WA state) when a guy and his wife and daughter stood just on the other side of my fence and lit off this thing that shot into the air. Very exciting, except they always seemed to forget that what goes up must come back down again and I watched as it descended right toward me. It fortunately didn't land on our roof, but hit the patio about three feet away from me. I walked the pieces over to him and said "I'm from California and I'm a bit scarred when it comes to lighting off fireworks too close to houses." His reply? "Oh, yeah. I'm from San Diego."
    I'm holding out for the Wilson-mixed 5.1 super-duper walletbuster special anniversary extra adjectives edition.

We had people everywhere shooting them off. We have had about 30 minutes of rain in the last two weeks. Things are REALLY dry. I only know that because I planted grass seed back then and have been watering twice a day since. Then, I had to re-seed about 1/3 of it because the guy I hired did such a shitty job.

Back to COVID, my neighbors usually have several parties each summer. A big family of ten siblings all in their 60s and 70s. Yesterday, it was just a few of the siblings. Maybe a dozen people. They had tables set apart and designated for couples. They all seemed to be wearing masks, although not all the time. We were invited over to visit and eat. I was told they had a table set aside for us. Very nice people and good friends. I respectfully declined dinner (we had plans) and I told them we would stop by to say hi. We never did. I'll apologize later today.

We're just not ready for crowds. I'm certainly not ready to share serving spoons and beverage stands.

Also, my neighbor is a trauma nurse. We both fear that this will go away no time soon. We both share the frustrations of people not being smart about it. But, the SHOCKING part is that her colleagues at the hospital are also reckless.

We are so fucked.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

It has been 27 days since our last rain. Year to date rain is 2 inches.

The weather is dry and many of the people are stupid. Hell, they're actually smarter about fire prevention than about slowing the spread of covid.

Great story, Paulrus. You'll like this.

Los Angeles, where fireworks are banned this year, last night
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    We knew she was a super spreader when she hooked up with Trump Jr.
    Drum roll.

My wife doesn't like my frequent following of Virus news.

She says, wear your mask, social distance, don't get together in groups, etc. and forget the rest.

Wish we had a dear leader who thought that this was a health issue and not a political issue......

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    We knew she was a super spreader when she hooked up with Trump Jr.

There were a least two July 4th parties on my street yesterday. They didn't bother me: a little noise, talking, music does no harm. Most of the activity went on in back yards where I could not see. The few people I saw were not wearing masks. I was concerned with the health of the partiers, not their celebratory acts. One party erupted into many backyard fireworks at dusk. I'm sure it was fun for the children there. All personal fireworks are illegal everywhere in this town, due to the fire danger. I didn't turn them in, and minded my own business, again being more concerned with health than celebration. The city's aerial fireworks show was cancelled due to the pandemic, as were most of the ones in nearby towns. They didn't want people gathering to watch.
    Here in the Phoenix area, the fire department in every valley city, and Rural Metro in unincorporated "county islands" were kept busy with fires. Some years ago when the legislature re-legalized fireworks, those of us with half a brain in our heads said, "Sure! What could possibly go wrong?!" Just one more example of "Freedom! This is Mairca!!"
    Last edited by progmatist; 07-05-2020 at 02:40 PM.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

https://darwinawards.com/ should have a new kind of contenders this year

Scientists challenge official view of virus spread in open letter to the WHO

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/coro...en-letter/amp/

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A405FN met Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    Scientists challenge official view of virus spread in open letter to the WHO

https://thenewdaily.com.au/news/coro...en-letter/amp/

Verstuurd vanaf mijn SM-A405FN met Tapatalk
    And here it is getting 'political' - I personally dont think WHO is free of pressure from china, middleeast, etc., etc., and as such often sailing under false flag.
    https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...break-n1222246

Perhaps just normal, and nothing to be alarmed about, but one should bear it in mind.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    That's likely still part of the first wave, regretfully.
    Hello Ronmac!

Thanks and I have a question:
    Why do you think it is still part of the first wave?, our government and health authorities affirm that it is the start of the second wave, from 1 or 2 weeks ago approx..

Regards,
    Tomás.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

Quote Originally Posted by TCC View Post
    Hello Ronmac!

Thanks and I have a question:
    Why do you think it is still part of the first wave?, our government and health authorities affirm that it is the start of the second wave, from 1 or 2 weeks ago approx..

Regards,
    Tomás.
    I've heard multiple experts state that we should not fool ourselves into thinking we're in the second wave. I'm speaking from the US side of the virus. I thought Costa Rica was behind the US in the spread. I could be mistaken, though.

When did the first wave end ?

^ When we reopened.

It was never away. Same virus, same strain, it had just been lurking.

Here in central Vermont we had more fireworks than ever. It has been super dry here, but then we finally had some substantial rainfall starting about a week ago. One local town where we would be most likely to go to see fireworks canceled their show this year, but then I think they set up a Go Fund Me or something and ended up with 3 times the normal amount of fireworks. The display was from a hill top on private land, but still in town. There was no parking so people had to watch from their own homes or park on the street.

We didn't go (pretty rare that we bother these days) and instead found that our town had a pretty good display that we could see (somewhat) from our deck. Also, across the valley at the same time a local business owner had his own display from his house. I think he spent more than the town did and we had a more direct view of those. It wasn't nearly as loud though, being a bit more than half a mile away.

Also on the 4th I went to see my friend's band play at the local park. It's always weird seeing them and not being on stage with them. Masks were supposedly required, which we brought with us, but there were probably only about 40-50 people there. Mostly families clustered together but with large distances in between (20+ feet) so we didn't bother wearing our masks and I think I only saw about 3 people with their masks on.
    <sig out of order>

My daughter tested negative! She was exposed to someone at work who tested positive.

I went shopping at grocery store and Sam's Club yesterday. Everyone had masks on correctly in grocery store.
    However, in Sam's Club, many had masks pulled down and 4 men did not wear masks, all customers, one was on oxygen and the other 3 were wearing Trump ball caps - I kid you not.

I don't think there are waves. We have a virus with no cure with the ability to curb with caution and financial strain. It's here to stay until we find a vaccine.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Spain's coronavirus antibodies study adds evidence against herd immunity

"a nationwide representative sample of more than 61,000 participants"

Subterranean Tapir Hobo Chang Ba's Avatar
    ^ There was an article I read this morning that came to the same conclusions, but it was just one expert and I didn't want to share. But, Fauci has also come out recently with statements that support that as well.
    Please don't ask questions, just use google.

Never let good music get in the way of making a profit.

I'm only here to reglaze my bathtub.

Spain's coronavirus antibodies study adds evidence against herd immunity

"a nationwide representative sample of more than 61,000 participants"
    "Doctors are uncertain whether having antibodies to the coronavirus means someone cannot be infected again. It's not clear how long or how well antibodies protect people from the virus."

So how can you make a vaccine ?

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Masks made mandatory indoors in Ottawa, Ontario, Canada today even though the rates in Canada are a fraction of the U.S.A.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

There was a story on the news about a 'grille' that will not require masks for staff in opposition to MD's rules.
    They opened for at least part of a day. Owner claims 'death threats' He says masks are bad for you and not needed anyway.

The thing I wonder if he thought about was , if you don't require this health department mandate, what other health codes are you slacking on.
    Having worked in food service, the owner/managers attitudes about sanitation and food safety usually determine how the employees treat it.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain