Page 85 of 235 FirstFirst ... 357581828384858687888995135185 ... LastLast
Results 2,101 to 2,125 of 5872

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Hairstylist with coronavirus works for 8 days, exposing up to 91 people

This is why this won't end without a vaccine. Too many selfish dumbasses out there.

And then we'll need to deal with the anti-vaccer crackpots.

I had a conversation with a close friend last night, who is no dummy. But, he's convinced this will die out in a few weeks, "Once we have 14 days of temperatures above 70 degrees." He did not want to hear that hot areas have had it for months.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Most of the countries in the world have made strategies based on a coming vaccine (even soon).

But where is the guarantee? There are lots of 'old' diseases where there is no vaccine: Syphilis, gonorrhea, Lymes disease, HIV, malaria, etc.
    I think we know way too little about covid-19 (but who am I).

Better also make a plan B.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    .....I believe strongly in my own right to follow my own path, but not at the expense of another.....
    That only looks like a middle ground from your point of view.

From the protesters' point of view, it's a complete surrender to "The Elites' Nefarious Plot™": wherein The Elites™ have concocted a fake crisis to force a dangerous precedent, a precedent of people willingly curtailing their own Freedom™ for the good of others, and the good of society in general. Yes, this is buncombe. But it's buncombe with legs. And, I suspect that it's also a dress rehearsal for much bigger, angrier, better-armed, and likely far more violent counter-protests in November.
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 05-24-2020 at 12:00 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    There has never been a vaccine for the common cold. The Corona Virus is a variation on the cold virus. The WHO warned as much a few days ago.
    I don't know how many times I've said this, and yet everyone keeps going "...[blah, blah] till there's a vaccine."
    Last edited by dropforge; 05-25-2020 at 09:59 AM.

The common cold is not one thing. Many viruses cause the common cold- rhinovirus, adenovirus, coronavirus, respiratory syncytial virus, etc. and several others. It is not really correct to say there will never be a vaccine for the common cold- there may be a vaccine for some of these viruses but, y'know, there are a lot of reasons for the common cold. Just like pneumonia is not just caused by pneumococcus virus alone...

There will be a vaccine for SARS-COV-20 down the road. It will not be effective for other coronaviruses. There are tons of coronaviruses.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post

Better also make a plan B.
    Either you try to avoid any deaths and then you should prepare for fishing, hunting, collecting and (basic) farming. Rebooting from stone age is the consequence of hard lockdown à la NZ. Or you try to live alongside the virus which will result in many deaths, since we don't know how effective a vaccine will be.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Japan Ends Coronavirus Emergency With 850 Deaths and No Lockdown

https://www.newsweek.com/japan-ends-...kdown-1506336?

Banned
    I apologize in advance for a final tirade (actually it is a polemic) but I must get this off my chest.

I’m absolutely done this time with this fucking thread since writing the painful and obvious truth, no matter how well-argued, accurate, referenced and wholly without insult or hyperbole gets your posts deleted. No argument, no refutation, no factual correction, no explanation, no nothing. For shame! There is absolutely no excuse for it whatsoever. There was no partisan attack of left vs. right, only right vs. wrong and truth vs. deadly lies. For shame!! You simply cannot moderate a thread of life and death matters as if it were Beatles vs. Stones and if you are unable to do so, yet then again, I say close this thread. If this is not a thread that allows differing views and civil, even if heated, argument, then it cannot practically be a thread for “useful information” either.

Doubtless this is good news to some of you so rejoice, relax and enjoy a good tune! Good luck everyone posting in this castrated, gutless thread and dancing around the proverbial elephant in the room. I know for sure people smarter than I with similar views were wise enough to avoid this thread from the outset. Probably in this situation of arbitrary censorship this post of protest will also be deleted, but the fight continues elsewhere where it is taken seriously, while we’re all amused to death.

I guess I never thought to see this level of Orwellian Newspeak and Doublethink in my own nation and I’m still a bit in shock, so what has happened here does not sit well with me in a forum whose very title contains the words “Progressive” and “Rock”. Not much of the spirit of rock around here left Perhaps? To steal a phrase, Art is a hammer, it is not a mirror.

This may be my last post for a while or forever so remember to be passionate, fight (fight, fight the dying of the light!) for what you believe in and don’t give in to geriatric resignation and torpor and may you stay forever young!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    This thead never ceases to amaze me. Just a casual reader.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

A week or two ago I had a post deleted, and since I couldn't see how on earth it was considered 'political' I got pissed too.
    But since then I have written almost the same stuff again without getting censored. Dunno the difference and dont care.
    Its a difficult post to be a moderator. Somebody gotta do it.

I think it was pretty obvious some posts were political and that's what got them removed, a couple of my own were among them (I did try to keep them short at least). My only regret was that I created more work for the mods! Personally, I'm not going to spend time being angry about something I fully expected.
    <sig out of order>

This should be no surprise to anyone.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Let this be a reminder, and a very timely one if you’re following Twitter, that this forum is privately owned (not by me) and operated, and those operating the site can allow and remove discussion at our discretion. Any person who joins this site reads and agrees to the terms of service. Those who don’t agree or can’t abide by the rules are free to go elsewhere.

https://www.progressiveears.org/pe_d...Earsv3_ToS.htm

Thank you to everyone who has tried (with various degrees of success) to be mindful and respectful of the rules and to fellow PEers during a time that has tested our patience, tolerance, and resolve on a daily basis.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    A week or two ago I had a post deleted, and since I couldn't see how on earth it was considered 'political' I got pissed too.
    But since then I have written almost the same stuff again without getting censored. Dunno the difference and dont care.
    Its a difficult post to be a moderator. Somebody gotta do it.
    One explanation is that the post that was deleted was in response to a group of posts that got removed and it’s sort of like collateral damage. It’s okay to PM the mods if you have questions, but don’t take it personally. Heck, I deleted a few of my posts.

Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    PY, your posts are always a tonic to me, as you write very well and manage to express things in a very non-confrontational manner. I find your "sports" analogy to be spot-on. If I may, I'd like to say that of your four "VS." categories in your last paragraph, the only one I would take partial exception to is "individualism vs. societism", but that's only because I belong to what I firmly believe is still a significant segment of the population who follow a path of rational self-interest; I believe strongly in my own right to follow my own path, but not at the expense of another.
    Thank you for the kind words. As Guy had mentioned, the dualisms were indeed more of a continuum than opposites. Everyone has aspects to their life that would qualify as “selfish” or “self absorbed”, while possessing other beliefs and traits that would qualify as selfless or with “the needs of the many” in mind. In times of crisis, these can emerge in ways we do not expect. Some go into survival mode, others become leaders, and still others run straight into the fire. Hopefully we all learn a little about ourselves we didn’t know during this time and turn that into a future positive down the road.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Thank you for the kind words. Hopefully we all learn a little about ourselves we didn’t know during this time and turn that into a future positive down the road.
    I've learned I can eat copious amounts of Blue Bunny Vanilla Bean ice cream, a large bag of M&M's Peanuts is not enough for a husband and wife while staying at home, and a 10oz bag of Lays Ruffles Potato Chips goes with everything.
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

One explanation is that the post that was deleted was in response to a group of posts that got removed and it’s sort of like collateral damage. It’s okay to PM the mods if you have questions, but don’t take it personally. Heck, I deleted a few of my posts.
    I know, I didn't take it personally, I got over it.

Best quote I've heard so far describing this pandemic.

"I have lots of opinions and no answers"
    A Comfort Zone is not a Life Sentence

Everyone has aspects to their life that would qualify as “selfish” or “self absorbed”, while possessing other beliefs and traits that would qualify as selfless or with “the needs of the many” in mind.
    You're being far more generous than I would be. I know people who totally lack that second part. I'm just sayin'.

It's hard to separate the personal out here- I have real and serious reasons to have very strong feelings about what some Americans do or believe about Covid. And I have to bite my tongue at times, really hard. I get that anger; I feel it. But I have learned over a lifetime of being confrontational that it doesn't really work. So I have to temper my thoughts to get people to hear them. And to look for actual evidence. Even if to some it does not matter at all.

Here is good evidence on the question: do face masks help? I know Trish Greenhalgh and she is a world leader in medicine. https://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/jep.13415

Evidence matters.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Evidence matters.
    You radical.

Tell me about it.

But I do walk the walk: https://chiromt.biomedcentral.com/ar...045-709X-21-43

If most of the people dying were under forty do you think there would be a harder push for a cure.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    If most of the people dying were under forty do you think there would be a harder push for a cure.
    It depends upon which people under forty:

If they were poor, minority people, and it spread in prisons and at laborers' worksites, not so much.

If they were wealthy white people, and it spread from contact at prep-school football games, and in exclusive gyms and athletic clubs, no effort would be too great.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    I apologize in advance for a final tirade (actually it is a polemic) but I must get this off my chest.

I’m absolutely done this time with this fucking thread since writing the painful and obvious truth, no matter how well-argued, accurate, referenced and wholly without insult or hyperbole gets your posts deleted. No argument, no refutation, no factual correction, no explanation, no nothing. For shame! There is absolutely no excuse for it whatsoever. There was no partisan attack of left vs. right, only right vs. wrong and truth vs. deadly lies. For shame!! You simply cannot moderate a thread of life and death matters as if it were Beatles vs. Stones and if you are unable to do so, yet then again, I say close this thread. If this is not a thread that allows differing views and civil, even if heated, argument, then it cannot practically be a thread for “useful information” either.

Doubtless this is good news to some of you so rejoice, relax and enjoy a good tune! Good luck everyone posting in this castrated, gutless thread and dancing around the proverbial elephant in the room. I know for sure people smarter than I with similar views were wise enough to avoid this thread from the outset. Probably in this situation of arbitrary censorship this post of protest will also be deleted, but the fight continues elsewhere where it is taken seriously, while we’re all amused to death.

I guess I never thought to see this level of Orwellian Newspeak and Doublethink in my own nation and I’m still a bit in shock, so what has happened here does not sit well with me in a forum whose very title contains the words “Progressive” and “Rock”. Not much of the spirit of rock around here left Perhaps? To steal a phrase, Art is a hammer, it is not a mirror.

This may be my last post for a while or forever so remember to be passionate, fight (fight, fight the dying of the light!) for what you believe in and don’t give in to geriatric resignation and torpor and may you stay forever young!
    what a bloated sense of self... presentation is everything dude