Page 151 of 235 FirstFirst ... 51101141147148149150151152153154155161201 ... LastLast
Results 3,751 to 3,775 of 5872

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    What causes that shortage of toilet paper in US? Hoarding?
    It's made from trees and there is a shortage of lumber. A 2X4X8 is over three times what it cost before the pandemic. I wouldn't be building a house right now.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Epidemiologist Rob Wallace weighs in on team Biden's Covid strategy.
    https://truthout.org/articles/bidens...om-sufficient/

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    My wife is an anxious person to begin with and COVID (plus the election) lifted her anxiety to historic levels. I've done all I can to reign in some panic buying but damn, you gotta choose your battles. Right now, she's still worried about toilet paper. We still have three mega-packages from Costco.
    I have trouble understanding the overall fixation on toilet paper. It's NOT gastro its respriatory!!

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    I have trouble understanding the overall fixation on toilet paper. It's NOT gastro its respriatory!!
    It's about necessities and shelf life while being locked-down for extended periods. Other staples will soon be in short supply. During the first wave, pasta and rice were also wiped out.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

There's a lot of vacant areas in grocery stores. Spices now seem hard to come by, I suppose because people are eating at home much more. My wife has taken to ordering online at Penzey's to restock.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    I don't understand the hoarding. Even under lockdown, supermarkets are open and the supply chain is working. Back in March it was sometimes a little hard to find staples like bread and eggs, because people were hoarding them. But two weeks later when all the crazy people had run out room in their fridges to store 20 loaves of bread and a gross of eggs, the stores restocked and the rest of us could shop. Slowly, everything became available again. You would think that people would have learned from that experience. Just buy what you need and there will be plenty to go around!
    You're assuming humans are rational creatures.........we are not.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by nycsteve View Post
    Actually, it can be gastro. Diarrhea was a huge issue for someone that I know that had it, and it remains one of his long-term effects. But that's not the reason for the TP hoarding.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist
    You're assuming humans are rational creatures.........we are not.
    Sad but true.

A special version of anal retentiveness?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    A special version of anal retentiveness?
    Without toilet paper it will be anal something.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

No shortages of anything that I can see here in Michigan. Stores appear to be stocked as normal.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    The Prime Minister announced the Canada will experience delays in getting the vacine because there is no domestic production.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post
    There's a lot of vacant areas in grocery stores. Spices now seem hard to come by, I suppose because people are eating at home much more. My wife has taken to ordering online at Penzey's to restock.
    This is exactly what I need to do. It's black peppercorns that are impossible to find in stores, for months!

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    The Prime Minister announced the Canada will experience delays in getting the vacine because there is no domestic production.
    Apotex has a massive drug manufacturing facility in Toronto. I wonder if they could convert part of that without creating a shortage on the other drugs they produce there.

I was just at Costco today and was shocked to see them handing out food samples again. And not just setting up rows of little cups spaced apart from each other, so people can grab them. Nope, they were serving cookies of some sort with them all loose in a community bowl for people, to stick their hands in, grab a cookie and put it in their mouth.

WTF!!!
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post
    Apotex has a massive drug manufacturing facility in Toronto. I wonder if they could convert part of that without creating a shortage on the other drugs they produce there.
    That would be great if the government could be innovative.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Here’s the toilet paper!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

One way of cutting back on TP would be to install a bidet. Just hose that starfish until it glistens and dry.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I was just at Costco today and was shocked to see them handing out food samples again. And not just setting up rows of little cups spaced apart from each other, so people can grab them. Nope, they were serving cookies of some sort with them all loose in a community bowl for people, to stick their hands in, grab a cookie and put it in their mouth.

WTF!!!
    Well, what else can you say? I personally have the impression that many have not yet fully mastered the elementary norms of hygiene with their brains. COVID or not, but still, with dirty hands, they take everything from a common container - it's unhygienic.

From the next town over:

"ORANGE, Vt. (WCA - All schools in the Orange Southwest School District will be fully remote until further notice.
    That includes students and families in Randolph, Braintree, and Brookfield, Vermont. The board voted to keep schools in remote session following the Thanksgiving break until it’s deemed safe for students to return.
    According to school leaders, they are still waiting to hear about 20 tests, but say closing the district after at least eight positive cases was appropriate. They also say about one-third of the families contact tracers spoke with didn’t care and very clearly expressed their resistance to quarantine or explicitly said they wouldn’t be following the rules.
    Orange County has seen 121 cases within the past two weeks."

I'm thinking we may not maintain our previously low numbers for covid with our apparently high number of idiots.
    <sig out of order>

Ember
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    That violates Costco's standards & practices even in normal times. I suspect an anomaly.

The general ideas the deniers are propelling is that all that died due to covid-19, died with covid not of covid, and that influenza symptoms are worse, and kills just as many.

From the info I get, this is not the case in general.
    Its not just the obese, the people with astma, the old, the ones with cancer, etc. who gets very sick and eventually dies. It is also young healthy people in good shape. And the after effects can be tough and last very long - for some. And you never know who and why.

I had a friend send me a video today via Facebook PM which sported a title indicating that the video was deleted from Facebook. Not sure how something deleted from FB is shared on FB, but that sort of "thought process" is standard fare for these people. But it was all about how our freedoms are being taken away in the name of this virus and how we're somehow all under house arrest. I didn't bother responding.
    <sig out of order>

The incoming administration should use reverse psychology, and ban the wearing of masks. Then covidiots will say, "I'll show you! I'm wearing a mask!!"

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    The general ideas the deniers are propelling is that all that died due to covid-19, died with covid not of covid, and that influenza symptoms are worse, and kills just as many.
    Here in the States, some people dying of Covid don't believe they're dying of Covid.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by rdclark View Post
    That violates Costco's standards & practices even in normal times. I suspect an anomaly.
    Perhaps, but it was not being enforced, either. The flip-side is that the very same Costco had only one entrance open, so the workers can wipe the shipping carts (although a bit haphazardly, but better than nothing) and I saw a person who was walking along the refrigerated section wiping the door handles (although also haphazardly).

Still, I take all precautions and have yet to go anywhere without wearing gloves and washing my hands upon returning home. That's because I am a nail-biter, live with asthmatics and see far too many Covidiots out there.

Just went grocery shopping in Toronto. No shortages on TP or anything else.

neil