Page 177 of 235 FirstFirst ... 77127167173174175176177178179180181187227 ... LastLast
Results 4,401 to 4,425 of 5872

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Does that allow benedictdonald to leave office thinking that he is a winner?
    I think that for a long time he knew he was a bullshitter extraordinare but in the last year, surrounded only by a small circle of yes-men, he has come to believe his own bullshit. The dude was pretty poor at being held accountable to even the smallest mistake and 'Rona was the tipping point. There's no way he can accept that he screwed the pooch and so he retreats into exile believing he is a winner that was stabbed in the back by "everyone". Pathetic.

There are folks in my small town that have both shots now - the EMTs/fire department/nurses. They're saying it was a snap. Both my wife and I are way down the tiers of who gets the shots first. I'm hoping for late spring but expecting summer. And then we'll celebrate with a long drive either into Montana or (Trudeau-willing) the northern plains of Canada.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by JKL2000 View Post
    Very sorry to hear this, Duncan. You and your family have had some bad blows in recent months - you've been in my thoughts a lot.
    Many thanks, Jed.
    Regards,

Duncan

Latest family update, My 91 year old uncle who has dementia and in nursing home has tested positive. If your family has not been affected, consider yourself lucky I guess.

Danish 'jet-setters', business people, politicians and other idiots who doesn't think the rules applies to them, travels to Dubai for holiday (they need it SO much) and returns with the british and southafrican mutation. In Dubai they get tested with fake negative test (common practise in many countries, in Poland and the former east block you can buy a fake negative test on gas stations).

My government have now decided that those allready in Dubai can't return directly from Dubai.
    They need to go via another country/airport where you can trust the test.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Danish 'jet-setters', business people, politicians and other idiots who doesn't think the rules applies to them, travels to Dubai for holiday (they need it SO much) and returns with the british and southafrican mutation. In Dubai they get tested with fake negative test (common practise in many countries, in Poland and the former east block you can buy a fake negative test on gas stations).

My government have now decided that those allready in Dubai can't return directly from Dubai.
    Sounds like they are treating Covid like they treat vehicle smog emissions tests in the US. If your car doesn't pass the test you have to pay for, you can pay more and buy a passing score. Or so I have heard. It's not about keeping the air clean (if it was they would apply the same standards to factory emissions), it's about keeping the money coming in from the citizens, who apparently don't have enough expenses. Of course, it's much worse with Covid, because instead of adding a small amount of pollution to the already polluted air, they are willingly spreading a deadly disease.

IMO, the first spreaders of Covid were the people rich enough to afford to fly to other countries where Covid was spreading, then fly back home carrying the disease. "Jet setters," a term in use since at least the 1970s, is a good enough term for them. Victims of Covid have rich people to thank for spreading the disease around the world. Thanks, idiots.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    IMO, the first spreaders of Covid were the people rich enough to afford to fly to other countries where Covid was spreading, then fly back home carrying the disease. "Jet setters," a term in use since at least the 1970s, is a good enough term for them. Victims of Covid have rich people to thank for spreading the disease around the world. Thanks, idiots.
    Don't forget the major levels of hypocracy of high profile politicians who preach restraint while travelling to southern climates for vacations themselves.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    Don't forget the major levels of hypocracy of high profile politicians who preach restraint while travelling to southern climates for vacations themselves.
    Much as I'd like to forget them, they contribute to making my life miserable. I would like to believe there is karma, but the sheer number of US politicians who live high on the hog while refusing to grant basic human rights to the citizens they pretend to represent makes me wonder. I'll not forget them or their hypocrisy.

Not to mention the fact that some of them bypass the metal detectors as they enter Congress and seem to get away with it. I do believe, however, that they are now facing fines.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

And a covid-test is not necessarily a test.

From what I have read the vast majority of the spreaders travelling from country to country were business travelers. I am sure some were also recreational travel, but people travelling for work, then going to meetings, conferences etc. caused the largest spread of the disease.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    I think all the problems Phizer has been having providing the promised number of vaccine doses we've been hearing about in the news are because Steve is no longer working for them. They just don't want to admit it.

BTW, if you want to hear the latest in OUR world, my son was back in school ONE DAY after he had to quarantine for an exposure at school, and while there he complained of an upset stomach. I had to go pick him up, and the next day we had him tested and he was positive! So we're all quarantined for 20 days! We're all fine, though again last night I seemed to have some kind of bug, suddenly felt dizzy and very tired at about 10pm, went to bed and slept till 4pm today!(Saturday.) After getting my shit together, I now feel fine. I don't know what's going on, but I think the rest of us will get tested on Monday. I think at this point the only reason for us getting tested is just that if we're positive, we'll know it and will know that 20 days from then all of us will be over it (sort of, unless we can get it again. But it would help.

Again, right now we all feel fine. I'm just going through a little bit of fresh-fruit withdrawal until the next Fresh Direct supply drop! I've become almost a vegetarian, eating mainly fruit and salad these days.

^^Glad you're feeling okay, and hope you and your family are all okay and symptom free!

neil

BTW, if you want to hear the latest in OUR world, my son was back in school ONE DAY after he had to quarantine for an exposure at school, and while there he complained of an upset stomach. I had to go pick him up, and the next day we had him tested and he was positive! So we're all quarantined for 20 days! We're all fine, though again last night I seemed to have some kind of bug, suddenly felt dizzy and very tired at about 10pm, went to bed and slept till 4pm today!(Saturday.) After getting my shit together, I now feel fine. I don't know what's going on, but I think the rest of us will get tested on Monday. I think at this point the only reason for us getting tested is just that if we're positive, we'll know it and will know that 20 days from then all of us will be over it (sort of, unless we can get it again. But it would help.

Again, right now we all feel fine. I'm just going through a little bit of fresh-fruit withdrawal until the next Fresh Direct supply drop! I've become almost a vegetarian, eating mainly fruit and salad these days.
    Well, that sucks. Hopefully it won't be too bad.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I think all the problems Phizer has been having providing the promised number of vaccine doses we've been hearing about in the news are because Steve is no longer working for them. They just don't want to admit it.
    Ha, yea well you never know!

I have been tempted to check with some of my contacts to see how the manufacturing is going, but it is kind of a sensitive subject, so have not directly asked anyone at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveSly
    From what I have read the vast majority of the spreaders travelling from country to country were business travelers. I am sure some were also recreational travel, but people travelling for work, then going to meetings, conferences etc. caused the largest spread of the disease.
    That wouldn't surprise me. The only thing surprising about international business travel is that it is for something as useless as business meetings and conferences. I tend to forget there are people who do that. I've only flown for business a few times in my life, always to do a job rather than for a meeting. Never left the country for those, and all were in pre-plague days. Doesn't really matter whether the money for your flight is your own or that of a corporation, you're still a disease vector when you travel internationally during a plague.

^^ Just watch the ending of Rise of Planet of the Apes. The parallels to what's happening now in real life are stunning.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

That wouldn't surprise me. The only thing surprising about international business travel is that it is for something as useless as business meetings and conferences. I tend to forget there are people who do that. I've only flown for business a few times in my life, always to do a job rather than for a meeting. Never left the country for those, and all were in pre-plague days. Doesn't really matter whether the money for your flight is your own or that of a corporation, you're still a disease vector when you travel internationally during a plague.
    Norway - In Norway you can only buy booze, wine and stronger beers in one chain shop, the state shop, "The wine monopoly".
    Oslo city decided to combat covid by closing the wine monopoly. You could though order online and get your goods a week later.
    So what happened - people drove to other cities to obey their thirst (and presumably bringing their covid infection with them).

The Wine Monopoly in Oslo has opened again. Plan skipped.

The main complaint in the media was endless queues on the roads... I was told...
    Last edited by Zeuhlmate; 01-24-2021 at 06:01 PM.

Norway - In Norway you can only buy booze, wine and stronger beers in one chain shop, the state shop, "The wine monopoly".
    Oslo city decided to combat covid by closing the wine monopoly. You could though order online and get your goods a week later.
    So what happened - people drove to other cities to obey their thirst (and presumably bringing their covid infection with them).

The Wine Monopoly in Oslo has opened again. Plan skipped.

The main complaint in the media was endless queues on the roads... I was told...
    In Ontario, liquor sales are also gov't run. You can buy beer and cider in the supermarket (only since 2015), but wine and spirits are only available at the LCBO (Liquor Control Board of Ontario) stores. Back in the Spring, during our first lock-down, LCBO and Beer stores were deemed to be an essential service. Not only that, but restaurants and bars were never allowed to sell alcohol for take-out pre-Covid. When restaurants had to close for anything other than delivery and take-out, they were also allowed to include beer, wine and cocktail kits with take-out and delivery orders. In fact, since Covid started, it's never been easier to get alcohol in Ontario.

Legal marijuana shops are also deemed an essential service, BTW.

Andrew Cuomo, the governor of New York, who wouldn't ever (it seemed) legalize recreational Marijuana, in the early days of COVID-19 allowed people to get drinks "to go" at bars, which seemed insane to me! And then, as soon as New Jersey legalized recreational Marijuana in November, said he was pretty sure New York would legalize it in 2021, because we need the money, and if we don't legalize it all the money (and drivers) will just go over the George Washington Bridge and Mario Cuomo Bridge (his dad). Maybe he also didn't want all those cars driving over his dad's bridge!

By the way, the former Tappan-Zee Bridge, was recently replaced by the Mario Cuomo Bridge, which was built right along side it. When that project was going on, I heard it was either the largest construction project in the US or the world, I forget which. Must have been in the US, there must have been some bigger project SOMEWHERE in the world. But it was big. And many of us still call the new bridge the Tappan-Zee out of habit, and it's a cooler name, being Dutch when there's so much Dutch history intertwined with that part of New York (Spuyten Duyvil, Washington Irving's "Knickerbocker History of New York, etc.)
    Last edited by JKL2000; 01-24-2021 at 09:45 PM.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ForeverAutumn View Post

Legal marijuana shops are also deemed an essential service, BTW.
    I still wear a smile of pride when I read a statement like that! It so civil and respectful to have legal pot. There was a submarine sandwhich store right near my house that was converted to a pot store. It's just still blows my mind that it's legal and easier to access. If liquor is essential, so is pot! I realize several U.S. states are legal but is should be nationwide. I actually ordered online with free fast shipments across Canada for high quality product of a huge variety products for very reasonable prices.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

^ So, where's that confounded bridge?

My dear Uncle Tony passed away from Covid at the age o f91.....

I still wear a smile of pride when I read a statement like that! It so civil and respectful to have legal pot. There was a submarine sandwhich store right near my house that was converted to a pot store. It's just still blows my mind that it's legal and easier to access. If liquor is essential, so is pot!
    Even though I don't partake anymore, I agree with you. I haven't smoked weed in 35 years (fuck, I'm OLD!), but I always thought it should be legal.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    My dear Uncle Tony passed away from Covid at the age o f91.....
    I'm so sorry to hear that. My condolences to you and your family. Covid sucks.