Page 3 of 235 FirstFirst 12345671353103 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    The word I have been using is "respect". I respect this is serious nature of this virus. I respect the science. I respect the global response. I respect the big measures taken so far. I respect the work of people in our community to keep us safe. I respect others who take it more seriously than I do.

In the end, one might look back on this years from now and see a (modest) death toll in the U.S. and feel like it was mostly "no big deal". But from where I sit, if that does end up being the case, it will be because we, as a society, erred on the side of caution.
    Good points all around. And much better to err on the side of caution than the reverse.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Also, the cashier who rolled his eyes when I took a pen from my pocket to sign a receipt less than an hour ago. I wasn't shitting my pants over this; I wasn't being cautious.

We are only as safe as the dumbest person in the room. Let's be smart about this.
    They have their head in the sand. Cashiers touch, indirectly or directly, more hands than anyone else on a daily basis.

I once threw money at a cashier in a convenience store because some jerk who sneezed visible streams into the palm of his hand sprinted toward the island like a gazelle and actually beat me to the front. I kept a safe distance and kicked the door open.

I read this morning that it's been determined the virus can stay infectious on hard surfaces for three days.

So, good advice about pens and doorknobs.

Hey.....I'm retired....I have no reason to go out and mix with the public......I'm staying home......and getting to that backlog of purchases that all arrived in early December....remember last falls physical product delays that caused everything to land on your doorstep at once?

I live 45 miles from the Care Center here in Washington State where the 12 folks died. That is sad....My 85yo Mother is in a Care Center 6.2 miles from my house. Her center is on lockdown and they are really taking it seriously. The only problem is she has to travel to dialysis 3 days a week to survive....at a hospital....I'm hoping for the best and am not freaking out about it.....she has all her marbles and is aware of too much close proximity....common sense is the phrase this week.....

If i need food? Just go to Amazon....will it cost more?...probably....its not the end of the world. Look at the savings from unpurchased concert / travel tickets.

Mutual Funds Tanking along with the Stock Market?.....You don't loose if you ride it out. I rode out the Savings & Loan Fiasco, the Dot.com bubble & the Housing Bust.....Let it Ride.....

I'm doing my part to help by self-isolating...
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

Gary, it's now 13 dead at the Life Care Center Of Kirkland, and 63 infected. That's half the population there -- which gives a pretty good indication of what infection rates are when people are exposed.

50/50 odds aren't great. Protect yourself. The death toll is higher (10%) because these are medically fragile people to begin with.

I kind of see my investments as just monopoly money at this point. I took a loan from my 401K last year to help with closing on my Townhouse, but overall, I have a long ways before any of it is real (I'm only 43), so if it loses for awhile, I have belief it will recover eventually.

The thing I am wanting them to report more on are people who get it, and GET BETTER. And WHEN are they not contagious anymore.

I know it's more deadly to older/elderly people than not, but there's also a lot people who have Auto Immune Disorders and conditions like Diabetes (as I do, as does Tom Hanks), who are a little more at risk. I even wonder if there are people who are, but don't know it, and get it, etc. I was diagnosed with Diabetes in November, but based on my recent history, I had blood sugar levels of a diabetic going back to 2017.

People don't go to their doctors enough, and then something like this comes up and they are more vulnerable.

From the consumer department.... I always do my shopping around 10 pm so I don't have to deal with tons of people. It was like a huge snow storm was coming, only worse. Only skim milk left and a few 1%. Bread was essentially gone. But now the paper products are gone too. There was one combo pack of TP which I took. No tissues. As I was leaving they were stocking the paper products. There was me and three other guys. They came in three packs. I took one. The next guy took four. That was all they had. I thought there was going to be a fight. The hoarders are out.

Hoarding is a serious problem. Medical staff can't get facemasks they need, because some idiot is buying them by the case.

And probably offering them on eBay for 10x retail.

I'm hearing that eBay is banning sales of certain items to avoid that sort of disgusting profiteering.

I'm still a tad baffled as to why toilet paper became the BIG thing for hoarding. Probably a case of looking for logic in an illogical brain.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    The thing I am wanting them to report more on are people who get it, and GET BETTER. And WHEN are they not contagious anymore.
    This is actually an interesting question. Are you EVER not contagious anymore?

They say little kids who are asymptomatic, not showing any signs of being infected, can still pass along the virus to vulnerable adults. Therefore, if you get the virus and are among the 90-97% who survive it, are you still infectious? Do you still carry the virus? Have you developed an immunity from getting infected again?

I don't believe I've heard answers to those questions.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    I read this morning that it's been determined the virus can stay infectious on hard surfaces for three days.

So, good advice about pens and doorknobs.
    I heard that a week ago.

Some info. Note that I don't want to add to the general uneasiness and all diseases are definitely not created equal. Plus the times are different and society is much better informed then they were 100 years ago.

In 1919, the Stanley Cup finals were cancelled before the final game as all but 3 Montreal players got the flu. One player died and coach was never the same again and died a couple of years later. That Spanish Flu outbreak killed north of 50 million people worldwide.

NHL still hasn't suspended the season but many sports organizations already have.

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    I'm hearing that eBay is banning sales of certain items to avoid that sort of disgusting profiteering.

I'm still a tad baffled as to why toilet paper became the BIG thing for hoarding. Probably a case of looking for logic in an illogical brain.
    We all are. The only viable theory is the hoarders believe they may hole up for a couple months till this blows over. So now they got their butt paper.

Hoarders are assholes.

You need to see the time-lapse feed of people bum rushing the toilet paper in a Costco like army ants. You'd get steamrolled!

The Spanish flu mortality rate was 2.7%, not far from the Coronavirus's 3.4%.

The world's population is higher now, and international commerce & travel are greater.

But so is medicine and information, if we choose to follow the recommendations of those who know what they're talking about.

Banned
    Hoarders are assholes.
    Hence the big demand for toilet paper I suppose.

The Spanish flu mortality rate was 2.7%, not far from the Coronavirus's 3.4%.

The world's population is higher now, and international commerce & travel are greater.

But so is medicine and information, if we choose to follow the recommendations of those who know what they're talking about.
    Not to mention that many of us can still work remotely. I'm lucky that I have a home-based business and my clients communicate through e-mail. No need for face-to-face interaction.

My daughter's college (local) told them not to come back from Spring break and I fully expect tomorrow to be the last day of high school for my youngest for a while. My oldest is a nurse's aid, so there's that.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by flytomars View Post
    Source?
    I am looking for info RE the VDGG tour and didn't see any cancellations, not even for the Italian shows (which most certainly won't take place)
    Peter Hammill has tweeted:

https://twitter.com/Sofa_sound?fbcli...XE8zd32wAhdAVg

I've separately seen a notice that Bologna has been cancelled (or 'suspended' - not completely sure what that means in this context)

Quote Originally Posted by Tangram View Post
    Some info. Note that I don't want to add to the general uneasiness and all diseases are definitely not created equal. Plus the times are different and society is much better informed then they were 100 years ago.

In 1919, the Stanley Cup finals were cancelled before the final game as all but 3 Montreal players got the flu. One player died and coach was never the same again and died a couple of years later. That Spanish Flu outbreak killed north of 50 million people worldwide.

NHL still hasn't suspended the season but many sports organizations already have.
    NHL finally gets on board and suspends season

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    VDGG concert cancelled? OK this now officially a tragedy!
    Definitely - I had tickets for all 28 of their shows this Spring. I do hope these can be pushed back into happier times.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    I would like to think the prog community is real adept at social distancing. In fact, social distancing has been a longtime life choice for me.

I just returned from Prague a couple of weeks ago and while there, I did have a chest cold, but no fever. No cold now, but I'm being very cautious still as I have recently been diagnosed with micro-vascular disease. My daughter was due to come home from Prague at the end of March, but not happening now. She's not worried as she's a rather healthy person... not counting her her love of tattoos, which are cheaper there.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Not to mention that many of us can still work remotely. I'm lucky that I have a home-based business and my clients communicate through e-mail. No need for face-to-face interaction.

My daughter's college (local) told them not to come back from Spring break and I fully expect tomorrow to be the last day of high school for my youngest for a while. My oldest is a nurse's aid, so there's that.
    I have been working from home on and off for the last 20 years. Unfortunately, I am not working at the moment and I don't see any hiring going to be done in the near future. My HS senior has had her concerts cancelled but not classes, yet. My oldest whose in college has had her classes either cancelled or moved online.

From the not a good look dept: I was texting my friend about the St John's Big East game that was going on. I said it looked bad that most of the other tournaments were already cancelled. They cancelled the game at halftime and cancelled the tournament too. At least they got it right in the end.

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    We've just been told to work from home wherever possible for the next two weeks, in other related lunacy the facilities team are removing half the chairs from all the meeting rooms to stop people gathering for meetings.
    Ian

Host of the Post-Avant Jazzcore Happy Hour on progrock.com
    https://podcasts.progrock.com/post-a...re-happy-hour/

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

I appreciate all of the informative and helpful comments here. Not the biggest issue obviously but in King County (Seattle area) all gathering of over 250 people are banned for the time being. The recommendations I could spout have already been well said better than I could have. Everyone of us must think about what we are doing, exercise common sense, and above all else, have enough love for each other so that we consider one another with our actions no matter how inconvenient. Life is precious. Stay safe everyone.