Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

  1. #1126
    Member Vic2012's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    La Florida
    Posts
    4,403
    I was reluctant to wearing a mask but I'm all gloves and mask at the grocery stores now. I still see people not wearing masks and gloves at the stores who tend to be young (20 and 30 somethings). I found a package of painters masks in my tool shed so I guess I'm ok for just the grocery stores. I usually get one whole day out the latex gloves. I wash my gloved hands with soap then let the gloves dry out. Pretty soon I'll be out of hand sanitizer and isopropyl alcohol. I have plenty of paper towels and bleach though.
    E-A-T

  2. #1127
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    1,707
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    I am not fond of that article because it does little more than plant a seed of doubt. That's really the takeaway. I do agree you should know how to take your gloves off and that you should be mindful that it's not a cure all.

    The main reason I wear gloves when going grocery shopping myself has to do with the shopping cart. The number of times the cart is touched far outweighs the number of times any grocery item is touched during the stocking (and customer browsing) process. And that is far out of anyone's control to be able to quantify. Additionally, I don't really see any disadvantage or danger in doing so (not that I'm not open to a scientific argument about it).

    I also find that with the gloves on, it stops me from touching my face (or other parts of my body). Once I take them off, I go right to the hand washing. And any time I have come back from a public place (work, store, etc.), I get a shower first thing.

    But as you say, it is a good point to bring up that the CDC does not suggest you wear gloves. However, they do not say to avoid it (that I can tell). And that's the key - at least for now. This is helpful video that reinforces the best practices.

    https://krcrtv.com/news/coronavirus/...r-safe-removal
    With regards to the link I provided, it was one of many which I found while searching on the internet that repeated the same information about wearing gloves. It was selected because it was the most recent one I could find. But I would also suggest, for as many as are suggesting gloves don't protect anymore than hand sanitizer, there will be links which suggest wearing gloves is a good idea.
    And whether any of these are pro or against will plant seeds of doubt, I will simply say I disagree, but that's just opinion and you have yours, and again, if someone feels it's the right thing to do, then I'm good with that, and I'm not suggesting folks shouldn't wear them. But I've also seen Dr's suggest that wearing gloves can also give a false sense of security.

    Here in Florida, our local stores provide disinfect wipes at the door which you use to wipe down the handles of the cart(I do that all the time anyway). That coupled with my sanitizer on my hands before I go to the store and then after leaving, I believe I feel safer than wearing gloves which are a hard surface and can hold germs more than an invisible glove which the sanitizer is. It's still possible to touch near your eyes even with a mask and glove on, so I think it's extremely important not to touch your face to adjust your mask or for any other reason, regardless of whether you are wearing gloves or not.

    I agree with Mark when he writes the CDC is a behind on keeping up with providing proper guidelines. It wasn't too long ago they were not stressing the importance of wearing masks, but now we are seeing more information that wearing a mask is essential.

    I appreciate we can share information and opinion, and what's important is the safety of all of us, and my thoughts are continually thinking about my friends, family, our neighbors around the world, and my music loving friends here on PE.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.com

  3. #1128
    Member Top Cat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2018
    Location
    N of Clearwater, Florida
    Posts
    1,707
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    We live in the age of too much information, which is why it's so important to have consistent messaging come from trusted sources. The problem, at least in the USA, is that we have constantly been telling people to distrust institutions - government, media, scientists, educators, etc. for over a generation. This has been exacerbated by the internet and social media, driven primarily by small concerns and individuals who insist *they* know the truth and to trust *them*.

    It's my hope that, as a result of this crisis, that people put more trust in the experts, those who have spent their lives devoted to the topic at hand (scientists, doctors, healthcare experts, statisticians, and even historians), and pay less credence to politicians, pundits, and your average loudmouth. Because what we need is clear, consistent messaging and information as well as (imo) compliance.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.com

  4. #1129
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    We live in the age of too much information, which is why it's so important to have consistent messaging come from trusted sources. The problem, at least in the USA, is that we have constantly been telling people to distrust institutions - government, media, scientists, educators, etc. for over a generation. This has been exacerbated by the internet and social media, driven primarily by small concerns and individuals who insist *they* know the truth and to trust *them*.

    It's my hope that, as a result of this crisis, that people put more trust in the experts, those who have spent their lives devoted to the topic at hand (scientists, doctors, healthcare experts, statisticians, and even historians), and pay less credence to politicians, pundits, and your average loudmouth. Because what we need is clear, consistent messaging and information as well as (imo) compliance.
    One can wish. This is the result of a 40-year campaign of anti-intellectualism that is now paying dividends in the form of cadavers. And with propaganda networks continuing to fuel it, I have zero hope that much will change. Hell, Dr. Fauci is getting death threats, for Christ's sake!
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

    - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

  5. #1130
    Moderator Poisoned Youth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2002
    Location
    Nothern Virginia, USA
    Posts
    2,184
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    And whether any of these are pro or against will plant seeds of doubt, I will simply say I disagree, but that's just opinion and you have yours, and again, if someone feels it's the right thing to do, then I'm good with that, and I'm not suggesting folks shouldn't wear them. But I've also seen Dr's suggest that wearing gloves can also give a false sense of security.
    <snip>

    I agree with Mark when he writes the CDC is a behind on keeping up with providing proper guidelines. It wasn't too long ago they were not stressing the importance of wearing masks, but now we are seeing more information that wearing a mask is essential.

    I appreciate we can share information and opinion, and what's important is the safety of all of us, and my thoughts are continually thinking about my friends, family, our neighbors around the world, and my music loving friends here on PE.
    Agreed. I realize my choice of words might have come off as criticism of you posting that article. That was not my intention.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

  6. #1131
    Member Garyhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    587
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    It was reported to me that someone in my mothers assisted living ‘community’ tested positive ( 4/2/20 ).
    They did not say if it was resident or staff.
    The place has been on lockdown ( visitor wise ) for the last 5 weeks and restricted visiting a couple of weeks prior.
    Not a warm fuzzy.
    My Ma's Retirement community have been pretty good on updating the families via e-mail and videos. Staff are going to rooms with iPads and facetiming families of the residents. The video link is comforting to them as opposed to just a phone call.

    No outbreaks yet. Meals delivered to rooms. Residents have "exercise time" to walk the halls / outside without others around. It's 20 minutes in the AM and the PM.

    Biggest problem they are having is the residents "visiting" each other in their rooms....another problem they are having are family members sneaking in through back doors.

    "Stubborn Old Coots" of which my mother is the poster girl have been busted for non-compliance.

    My biggest problem of this pandemic is the behavior of my Mother!
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

    "It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

    I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

    (Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

    Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

  7. #1132
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    .another problem they are having are family members sneaking in through back doors.
    Those people should be arrested just like the idiots across the street from my house who a had a party yesterday with at least three families yesterday.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

    - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

  8. #1133
    Outraged bystander markwoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    2,487
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

  9. #1134
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    4,382
    Tiger at NYC’s Bronx Zoo tests positive for coronavirus

    https://apnews.com/0f47b8e4f883579712599690e1752c09

  10. #1135
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    4,382
    How many times does CCP have to lie before we just say, ‘ok, they are liars’?

    https://www.sundayguardianlive.com/o...distancing-ccp

    Endlessly.

  11. #1136
    Member Zeuhlmate's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Posts
    4,382
    Coronavirus: Scotland's chief medical officer resigns over lockdown trip

    https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-scotland-52177171

  12. #1137
    Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2012
    Location
    Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
    Posts
    11,301
    I don't have gloves or would wear them. I do have masks.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

  13. #1138
    éí 'aaníígÓÓ 'áhoot'é Don Arnold's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Victoria, BC
    Posts
    129
    I haven't been wearing a mask nor gloves. I am keeping an appropriate distance, am washing my hands regularly and am very cognizant of touching my face. From what I've read and heard, a mask offers limited protection and is mostly beneficial for those who are sick, to protect those who are not. All that being said, I get why people are wearing either or both, and I'm sure there's at least some degree of protection.

    I do wonder, for some, if wearing a mask can give a false sense of safety?

  14. #1139
    Outraged bystander markwoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    2,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    I haven't been wearing a mask nor gloves. I am keeping an appropriate distance, am washing my hands regularly and am very cognizant of touching my face. From what I've read and heard, a mask offers limited protection and is mostly beneficial for those who are sick, to protect those who are not. All that being said, I get why people are wearing either or both, and I'm sure there's at least some degree of protection.

    I do wonder, for some, if wearing a mask can give a false sense of safety?
    Yes, just like all of the other risk mitigation we have been asked to do.
    The whole thrust of the recommendations is to mitigate risk of transmission.
    From you, to you.
    These are easy and proven. So is staying inside and not mixing with people
    Unlike taking "medicines" pushed by charlatans ( several have been shut down ), or, just wait for the air purifiers that swear to kill covid-19.
    Or a host of other BS claims found on sketchy websites and youtube videos or tick-tocks, facebook.
    All will give someone a false sense of security. And won't work.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

  15. #1140
    Member Garyhead's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Washington State
    Posts
    587
    A disturbing motorcycle ride today. I witnessed at least 2 “tailgate parties” in empty Mall parking lots. 3 to 4 cars with picnic baskets and even a bbq! All parks are closed / jersey barriers at the front gates.....so malls are the next option. The weather will get quite nice here this week.....Social Distancing is failing.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

    "It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

    I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

    (Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

    Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

  16. #1141
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Divided Snakes of America
    Posts
    1,982
    Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    A disturbing motorcycle ride today. I witnessed at least 2 “tailgate parties” in empty Mall parking lots. 3 to 4 cars with picnic baskets and even a bbq! All parks are closed / jersey barriers at the front gates.....so malls are the next option. The weather will get quite nice here this week.....Social Distancing is failing.
    Where are the police?

  17. #1142
    All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Eastern Sierra
    Posts
    1,476
    if you want money for people with minds that hate, all I can tell you is brother you have to wait

  18. #1143

  19. #1144
    That's Mr. to you, Sir!! Trane's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    in a cosmic jazzy-groove around Brussels
    Posts
    4,020
    Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    The main reason I wear gloves when going grocery shopping myself has to do with the shopping cart. The number of times the cart is touched far outweighs the number of times any grocery item is touched during the stocking (and customer browsing) process. And that is far out of anyone's control to be able to quantify. Additionally, I don't really see any disadvantage or danger in doing so (not that I'm not open to a scientific argument about it).

    I also find that with the gloves on, it stops me from touching my face (or other parts of my body). Once I take them off, I go right to the hand washing. And any time I have come back from a public place (work, store, etc.), I get a shower first thing.

    Been considering wearing those gloves outside, indeed because you touch yourself less in the face... However, from my laboratory habits, I really feel akward about dipping in my pockets to retrieve my wallet with them gloves on. And indeed, teacing the public about how to retrieve them gloves (inside out) is yet to be sent out.

    However, most of the grocery supermarkets have taken away the hard baskets or rolling trays and only the big caddies are left (there is enough of them since they count the number of people inside the store at the entrance. And they've hired extra students (good pay too, given the risks) to actually clean/sanitize the handles in the parking lots and whatever else one touches frequently. The students are very happy to do it too (they're not really at risk), especially that it's been great weather since the start of the crisis.

    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    Here in Florida, our local stores provide disinfect wipes at the door which you use to wipe down the handles of the cart(I do that all the time anyway). That coupled with my sanitizer on my hands before I go to the store and then after leaving, I believe I feel safer than wearing gloves which are a hard surface and can hold germs more than an invisible glove which the sanitizer is. It's still possible to touch near your eyes even with a mask and glove on, so I think it's extremely important not to touch your face to adjust your mask or for any other reason, regardless of whether you are wearing gloves or not.
    On top of the cleaning of caddies or baskets, the higher-end grocery stores actually enforces that you either use their gel or start carrying your gloves at the entrance (or use new ones, in case you had them on before). You can't go near the counters either. Thing is is that I cleaned all stair ramps, door handles (including external), car door handles (ditto), driving wheel, stickshift and other command stick, but the clerks at the entrance don't know that for sure. I generally take my daily shower before I go outside (take care of others), but yeah, a good handwash when i get back home is in order.

    For those that need tutorial on the last safety item...

    my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.

  20. #1145
    Member Camelogue's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Lovetron
    Posts
    1,532
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Where are the police?
    My next door neighbor is a cop.

    He had about 10 people over his house out in his backyard for a party twice in the last 3 weeks.

  21. #1146
    Outraged bystander markwoll's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Northern Virginia
    Posts
    2,487
    Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    My next door neighbor is a cop.

    He had about 10 people over his house out in his backyard for a party twice in the last 3 weeks.
    There is a certain Rightness involved there.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Unknown

  22. #1147
    Banned
    Join Date
    Dec 2015
    Location
    Divided Snakes of America
    Posts
    1,982
    Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    There is a certain Rightness involved there.
    I guess, but Jezus what's it gonna take? SMH

  23. #1148
    Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    My next door neighbor is a cop.

    He had about 10 people over his house out in his backyard for a party twice in the last 3 weeks.

    Not all cops are smart, that's for sure. Fucking idiot.

    So, can we report large gatherings to the authorities? I assume it's state-by state, country-by-country.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

    - Dr. Winston O'Boogie

  24. #1149
    ALL ACCESS Gruno's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    Dio, Alabama
    Posts
    1,872
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Not all cops are smart, that's for sure. Fucking idiot.

    So, can we report large gatherings to the authorities? I assume it's state-by state, country-by-country.
    Yeah, I would have dropped a dime on that cat in a heartbeat. One can call the tip hotline without having to give your own info.

  25. #1150
    Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post
    My next door neighbor is a cop.

    He had about 10 people over his house out in his backyard for a party twice in the last 3 weeks.
    Cops are usually the worst.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •