Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat
    While this is true, we also value it [life] to a high degree because of the things we've lived through and experienced over a lifetime.
    I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue
    Not trying to be political but the older people at the gym and grocery store have been railing about the "hoax" and "this is America, we are free"
    This has more to do with education and political brainwashing than with old age. I can assure you, not all us geezers think that way. Ignorance has its price.
    if you want money for people with minds that hate, all I can tell you is brother you have to wait

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    I agree.

This has more to do with education and political brainwashing than with old age. I can assure you, not all us geezers think that way. Ignorance has its price.
    Thanks for giving me more faith in my fellow geezers!

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Local news says our public library is now closed. The article just beneath that says a local restaurant and pub is going to go ahead and have its annual St. Patrick's Day dinner, cancelling only the live music, (because that's the source of infection in a pandemic). I would love to have someone else cook me corned beef and cabbage or lamb stew, but I ain't going out to a crowded restaurant.
    if you want money for people with minds that hate, all I can tell you is brother you have to wait

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    What could you possibly question?
    I'm not ignoring your question, but at this time I prefer to keep those things private.
    I will say after decades of living on this planet, I've come to question just about everything that comes out of gov't and the news media.
    That doesn't mean I'm ignorant of the things going on, and you can rest assured I am doing everything I can to keep my social distance, practice recommended sanitary procedures, and if I am an positive with the virus but show no symptoms, I still behave when interacting outside of home with the highest caution. I will not interact or visit anyone with health issues or immune deficiency. I will not put anyone at risk who is susceptible to acquiring this disease. I am not socially active other than shopping for groceries and necessities.
    I did ask some questions earlier several pages ago if that will help.

Dana, your post quoting your daughter in law's story was heartwrenching. To lose a loved one in any manner leaves a hole in your heart, but to lose a dear sweet child is one of the worst. Their innocence, trust, caring nature and unconditional love makes losing them even worse.
    Last edited by Top Cat; 03-17-2020 at 05:05 PM.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by yamishogun View Post

It isn't true that we don't have any idea the number of new cases in the U.S. There is a range that can be calculated from the range of the mortality rate.
    I am not even close to being the expert that many are and that many seem to be claiming to be. Many good things, and heartbreaking things have been shared here. But couldn't any number of people be carrying, asymptomatic, and unaware? I don't see how that can possibly be calculated. I'm willing to be educated otherwise, but it just seems there are so many potential pockets of unreported cases nationwide.

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    I am not even close to being the expert that many are and that many seem to be claiming to be. Many good things, and heartbreaking things have been shared here. But couldn't any number of people be carrying, asymptomatic, and unaware? I don't see how that can possibly be calculated. I'm willing to be educated otherwise, but it just seems there are so many potential pockets of unreported cases nationwide.
    That is why you can't trust quoted statistics. We are only being provided statistics based on reported or verified cases.
    Until an extensive testing is made available to all citizens, we just don't and won't know the actual of people carrying the virus.
    Or many of the unreported cases are at home self medicating and riding it out. Unless their condition worsens and requires hospitalization where it can be identified and logged as such, we just don't know. Neither do the health officials.
    Soundcloud page: Open Window, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice Bandcamp: https://richardhermans.bandcamp.com

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I'm not ignoring your question, but at this time I prefer to keep those things private.
    I will say after decades of living on this planet, I've come to question just about everything that comes out of gov't and the news media.
    That doesn't mean I'm ignorant of the things going on, and you can rest assured I am doing everything I can to keep my social distance, practice recommended sanitary procedures, and if I am an positive with the virus but show no symptoms, I still behave when interacting outside of home with the highest caution. I will not interact or visit anyone with health issues or immune deficiency. I will not put anyone at risk who is susceptible to acquiring this disease. I am not socially active other than shopping for groceries and necessities.
    I did ask some questions earlier several pages ago if that will help.
    Same here. The steak to bologna ratio is way out of whack.

The U.S. three day average increase over the past 9 days has fallen from 32% to 31% to 28%. I think this probably indicates that the U.S. will be on the flat part of the curve in a week or so and that should be clear in three days.
    Dream on about that. We are a number of weeks behind the other nations cited.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Nobody knows how many people stay home and don't test for covid19. Confirmed (tested) cases don't say much, intensive care cases do and they may soon explode.
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

Orange Tick Squasher Buddhabreath's Avatar
    The U.S. three day average increase over the past 9 days has fallen from 32% to 31% to 28%. I think this probably indicates that the U.S. will be on the flat part of the curve in a week or so and that should be clear in three days.
    How many people and from what demographics and localities would need to be sampled to make such a prediction and with what margin of error Mr. Statistics? I actually worked for nearly 20 years in a company that did sampling professionally on a national level and (once again) I can tell you categorically that you have no idea whatsoever what you are talking about. Stop embarrassing yourself.
    "I am the fucking click track!" - Ringo Starr

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    As a reminder, you can just hit the moderate button to alert us of posts with misinformation. We aren't going to research every post in this thread, so I ask that you all click moderate when it's necessary (and not just because you don't like what someone is saying).

Stay safe!
    And yet, Sean, you seem to find time to delete nearly every post where I link to outside vetted sources, while leaving Yamishogun's blatantly-false and potentially lethal happytalk untouched.

That's it. I'm done.

You're right. PE is no place for disseminating life-saving information about this global pandemic -- thanks to you.

As a reminder, you can just hit the moderate button to alert us of posts with misinformation. We aren't going to research every post in this thread, so I ask that you all click moderate when it's necessary (and not just because you don't like what someone is saying).

Stay safe!
    To the person who moderated my post to "You are not absolved from responsibility", I will be very clear about a few things...

1. Sean, Duncan, and myself have lives and are concerned about our own families and work situations. So we don't have time to browse every thread and every comment. This is the reality.

2. If that's not good enough, we can easily close this thread and end all discussion about the topic.

3. Even more easily, we can take the 2-3 disruptors on an otherwise fairly civil and informative thread and remove them from the forum entirely.

I don't have time for this shit.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    And yet, Sean, you seem to find time to delete nearly every post where I link to outside vetted sources, while leaving Yamishogun's blatantly-false and potentially lethal happytalk untouched.

That's it. I'm done.

You're right. PE is no place for disseminating life-saving information about this global pandemic -- thanks to you.
    Bye.

I am quoting scientists including a Nobel Laureate with a math background! (Not that you need one since the math is trivial)
    Bye

Thank you those that have kept a civil discussion and provided some great insight and stories. I prefer to keep the thread open and discussion going. It's tense for all of us right now.

And just like that, this and a few other threads on PE have become tolerable to visit again.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

I'm here for the moosic NogbadTheBad's Avatar
    Thanks PY.
    Ian

Gordon Haskell - "You've got to keep the groove in your head and play a load of bollocks instead"
    I blame Wynton, what was the question?
    There are only 10 types of people in the World, those who understand binary and those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Local news says our public library is now closed. The article just beneath that says a local restaurant and pub is going to go ahead and have its annual St. Patrick's Day dinner, cancelling only the live music, (because that's the source of infection in a pandemic). I would love to have someone else cook me corned beef and cabbage or lamb stew, but I ain't going out to a crowded restaurant.
    In Denmark quite a few restaurants now try to make the food as take away meals - you phone, they make it, and you pay with your mobile.
    They might just about survive that way untill better times.

Hopefully no more poop talk..

Quote Originally Posted by Vic2012 View Post
    Hopefully no more poop talk..
    I saw on the news that a restaurant in Eagle Rock, CA, is including ONE FREE ROLL of toilet paper with each order over forty bucks!

I would like this to stay open. We are coping as best we can and there is a lot of emotion around this issue. I am terrified and one way to control my fear is to gain knowledge and to read good and solid information.

Our local library is open for pick up only- reserve a book, drive over to the drive-in window and get your books, which were wiped before delivery. Many restaurants are following a similar approach- they will cook and you can pick up. Our campus just shut itself down totally as Dallas is now asking for groups to never be larger than 10. This is going to pass if we just do this. I do not like being home like this, but I know it helps. It is not age related, though I am 66 and in a higher risk group (highest risk appears to be >70). We will see amazing things from our scientists. The government finally seems to fully see the danger, and much as I hate those in leadership, they are finally taking this seriously.

We need more tests. That is the most significant thing we can do right now- test more people. And we absolutely have to get people to isolate- no idiots on the beach in FL, no Kid Rock acting defiant, no Louis Gohmert acting stupid (he backed down today). No idiot Selena Gomez shooting her mouth off- you have to see it to believe it, to her hundreds of thousands followers.

Keep it civil, and respect those who are trying to do the right thing for very real and very personal reasons.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

So, where is this alleged moderate button. Am I missing something?

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Looking for something to read?

https://www.gutenberg.org

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

..........^^^ The triangle/caution icon.

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    So, where is this alleged moderate button. Am I missing something?

..........^^^ The triangle/caution icon.
    HTF did I miss that?

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie