Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by bill g View Post
    Interesting. He likened the earth to a cell huh? Just the earth or all planets, I wonder?
    Just the Earth. Or more specifically, the biosphere on Earth. All living things are interconnected; one species goes extinct and another arises to fill the same ecological niche. One species gets too prevalent, a predator evolves to nip 'em back a bit. One species develops a turtle shell, another develops claws designed for ripping open turtle shells. It's a self-regulating closed loop that operates on the timescale of millennia.

Other planets have no biosphere, so Venus went all greenhouse and hot, and Mars lost its atmosphere and water and went all cold.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    how reliable is your source:
    Dr. Brian Monahan. He's pretty seriously qualified.
    https://www.axios.com/congressional-...b65c22c53.html

The death figure I quoted is just simple math from the established mortality rate.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    I find it disturbing that where emergencies and crises used to bring out the best in most Americans, it now seems to bring out the worst in many of us. I know there are good people out there doing the right thing, but our leaders have failed us and our scientists (who know what's going on and the best way to deal with it while they work on a vaccine) aren't being allowed to have a voice or do their jobs, while our retailers are price gouging and morons are hoarding toilet paper and boycotting Corona beer.
    if you want money for people with minds that hate, all I can tell you is brother you have to wait

The mortality will depend on how fast Covid-19 will spread (people travelling, congregations, concerts etc., hand wash, quarentine), and how may repirators the seriously ill persons will get access to.

There is a lot a society/country can do.

What Taiwan can teach the world on fighting the coronavirus

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...virus-n1153826

Quote Originally Posted by Duncan Glenday View Post
    F U Corona virus.

My Devin Townsend show next Monday has been "postponed"
    But on the up-side, my client has canceled all business travel!

So my week-long out-of-state trip every 2nd week now turns into a long-term work-from-home stint!

Works for me...
    Regards,

Duncan

The above text purported to be from “Stanford” is bogus. Please, everyone, check your sources!https://www.theverge.com/2020/3/12/2...-hoax-covid-19

Mods: Please delete this ASAP.

Banned
    ^^^ Thanks, well done.

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    Just the Earth. Or more specifically, the biosphere on Earth. All living things are interconnected; one species goes extinct and another arises to fill the same ecological niche. One species gets too prevalent, a predator evolves to nip 'em back a bit. One species develops a turtle shell, another develops claws designed for ripping open turtle shells. It's a self-regulating closed loop that operates on the timescale of millennia.

Other planets have no biosphere, so Venus went all greenhouse and hot, and Mars lost its atmosphere and water and went all cold.
    A human is the only advanced lifeform on the planet that acts like a virus.

A list of dubious coronavirus tips is going viral on Facebook and Twitter, as well as spreading through email. It falsely claims to be from the Stanford Hospital board and contains advice like “take a few sips of water every 15 minutes at least,” to kill the virus. None of these tips have anything to do with reality; it is dangerous misinformation.
    Who knew Twitter could be a source of dangerous misinformation?

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    A human is the only advanced lifeform on the planet that acts like a virus.
    Hence the biosphere's reaction to us.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    ^^^ Thanks, well done.
    I could see the bogosity of the information immediately. As a hypertense heart patient with diabetes, respiratory and kidney issues, arthritis, and a wealth of other health issues, I need to know the facts. Being retired and now home all day, I have time to learn them.

If true, it’s scary that this list of fake information was distributed by an employee of the VA. I hope the OP will convince his friend to issue a retraction to everyone he sent it to. Unfortunately, it’s already gone *cough* viral, but an actual medical-adjacent source just makes it worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    What Taiwan can teach the world on fighting the coronavirus

https://www.nbcnews.com/health/healt...virus-n1153826
    Shortly after the team returned, Taiwan began requiring hospitals to test for and report cases. That helped the government identify those infected, trace their contacts and isolate everyone involved, preventing the virus from spreading to the community.
    Something the US has failed to do -- even three months into the pandemic.

I went to the Dr a couple weeks ago with the onset of a sudden Flu... I had my Flu shot this year... so I was dissappointed that I'd let something slip by. I had the chills and nauseous stomach, which you normally dont get with a cold. they checked me and I didnt have the flu, but the doc said that they had just within the last few days seen a lot of whatever it is I had. This was before the Corona Virus was widely discussed, but I was aware of it because it was just coming on in the news, but nothing in my area... Anyway, a shot in the butt and a 5 day zpack knocked it out. I would like to know what it was I had, because it wasnt really a cold, but sure felt like the flu or pneumonia, but it wasn't. The news just covered the list of symptoms and I had every symptom. I just went to bed for 48 hours and stayed doped up on Nyquil, Theives, Zinc, Vitamin C, D, chicken soup and Echanacia Oh, and "Wandering the face of the Earth". I got better.

Since others who had seen my doctor had shown the same symptoms, I wonder how much of the virus might be occurring under the radar. Not that I had it - I kind of thought I might have because I play out in clubs and sing on strange Microphones, and who know's where any of the microphone had been...I'm just not even sure they were looking for Coronova in my area at that time.
    I got nothin'

...avoiding any implication that I have ever entertained a cognizant thought.

live samples:
    https://soundcloud.com/yodelgoat/yod...om-a-live-show
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/PapaYode...=page_internal

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    ... boycotting Corona beer.
    Seriously?

Wait wait wait.... lets be clear. The pandemic was declared YESTERDAY.
    I got nothin'

...avoiding any implication that I have ever entertained a cognizant thought.

live samples:
    https://soundcloud.com/yodelgoat/yod...om-a-live-show
    https://www.facebook.com/pg/PapaYode...=page_internal

I hope this is over before July 4th. I'd hate to have all the fireworks celebrations get cancelled.

Quote Originally Posted by Yodelgoat View Post
    Wait wait wait.... lets be clear. The pandemic was declared YESTERDAY.
    On Dec. 31, the same day China notified the World Health Organization that it had several cases of an unknown pneumonia, Taiwan’s Centers for Disease Control immediately ordered inspections of passengers arriving on flights from Wuhan.

Really, the only sure means of safety is avoidance as prescribed by Giovanni Boccaccio in The Decameron written in the 14th century. A group of friends flee the mounting Black Death in Florence for a secluded villa, where they spend a couple weeks drinking wine and telling stories (the Internet was not available at the time).
    "And your little sister's immaculate virginity wings away on the bony shoulders of a young horse named George who stole surreptitiously into her geography revision."

Occasional musical musings on https://darkelffile.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by GeneTull View Post
    I hope this is over before July 4th. I'd hate to have all the fireworks celebrations get cancelled.
    Don't get your hopes up.

Quote Originally Posted by The Dark Elf View Post
    Really, the only sure means of safety is avoidance as prescribed by Giovanni Boccaccio in The Decameron written in the 14th century. A group of friends flee the mounting Black Death in Florence for a secluded villa, where they spend a couple weeks drinking wine and telling stories (the Internet was not available at the time).
    Sorry, not helpful.

The virus probably remains infectious even AFTER a person experiences the symptoms and recovers. Therefore, “going away” for two weeks or a month or three months won’t stop the virus spread. It’ll only delay the rate at which it eventually reaches 100% of the population.

Will 100% of people show symptoms? Probably not. The Life Care Center of Kirkland has 50% of that close community testing infected.

But without any immunities, or any vaccine to trigger immunities, or any way to prevent disease transmission, the spread will continue unabated until everybody has been exposed.

Delaying the spread prevents (hopefully) health care facilities from being swamped. It will not prevent the eventual universal exposure.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 03-12-2020 at 09:30 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Governor closed Maryland schools starting Monday.
    Ohio, too. I'm in Western PA, right in between waiting for the news tomorrow.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

That's because only the free market can do it, which is why Taiwan's government couldn't.
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

Seriously?
    You didn't see that report? I hope it's false, but I saw a report that their sales had dropped significantly, like 37 % or so. Stupid is rampant in America dude. Which, frankly, explains a lot.
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!