Page 40 of 235 FirstFirst ... 303637383940414243445090140 ... LastLast
Results 976 to 1,000 of 5872

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Will they ever learn? Chinese markets are still selling bats and slaughtering rabbits on blood-soaked floors as Beijing celebrates 'victory' over the coronavirus

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ling-bats.html

Perhaps they've moved the bats away from the potential intermediary hosts so they feel it's safer now? From their perspective they probably feel like it has mostly been fine for a long time (preceding COVID-19) and now this has blown over and they can go back to normal. I'm not saying it's right, but...
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Teddy Vengeance View Post
    I’ve seen the Daily Mail and similar publications make ridiculous assertions about what ‘the Japanese’ and other ‘exotic’ people supposedly think and believe.
    I agree. The Daily Mail is a shock rag.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Is it only me that feels despair when I see favorable numbers in opinion polls on how our leadership is handling this crisis? I'm really trying not to be political, but this just seems we are in Orwell/Kafka territory here and it worries me. .
    Rallying around the president is nothing new is crises. FWIW, his "bump" seems historically low. History is an unbiased judge.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    I agree. The Daily Mail is a shock rag.

Rallying around the president is nothing new is crises. FWIW, his "bump" seems historically low. History is an unbiased judge.
    Absolutely. People always rally around the glorious leader in times of crisis. The political fallout afterwards is what is really fun, when the media have a field day finding out all that went wrong.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by lazland View Post
    Absolutely. People always rally around the glorious leader in times of crisis. The political fallout afterwards is what is really fun, when the media have a field day finding out all that went wrong.
    I hope so, but not for political vengeance, but for lessons learned FFS!

We never learn.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Katrina?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Will they ever learn? Chinese markets are still selling bats and slaughtering rabbits on blood-soaked floors as Beijing celebrates 'victory' over the coronavirus

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ling-bats.html
    I wouldn’t click on the link, I refuse to read anything the hate-filled and xenophobic Daily Fail publishes. Until a more reliable news source investigates, take this with the scepticism it deserves.

Friend of mine lost his dad on Saturday to the virus.

I'm very much hoping that his horrible, awful loss is the closest this virus will come to my sphere of friends, family, coworkers and more. But I'm not terribly optimistic about that.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    We'll see. I don't want to get political either, but I do believe that the media in the US hasn't done us any service at all. I'm not suggesting that the impeachment was or wasn't necessary nor am I suggesting that news coverage of that wasn't warranted, but this pandemic was a back burner issue until a few weeks ago. There are probably other equally important stories outside our borders that could impact us but aren't being covered because networks don't find them sexy enough or they're just being told what to cover by the corporations that own the networks. This is way beyond what the current administration did or didn't do, or when they should've done what. Every presidential administration dating back to Clinton has been beseeched to have an aggressive plan in place and they all failed, Democrats and Republicans. They all wait for the big fire to buy a fire truck.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    We'll see. I don't want to get political either, but I do believe that the media in the US hasn't done us any service at all. I'm not suggesting that the impeachment was or wasn't necessary nor am I suggesting that news coverage of that wasn't warranted, but this pandemic was a back burner issue until a few weeks ago. There are probably other equally important stories outside our borders that could impact us but aren't being covered because networks don't find them sexy enough or they're just being told what to cover by the corporations that own the networks. This is way beyond what the current administration did or didn't do, or when they should've done what. Every presidential administration dating back to Clinton has been beseeched to have an aggressive plan in place and they all failed, Democrats and Republicans. They all wait for the big fire to buy a fire truck.
    I'm not so sure, apparently there was a "pandemic preparedness playbook" prepared by the last administration which was ignored by the present administration that also disbanded the NSC directorate for global health and security and bio-defense. There were also budget cuts that affected preparedness including eliminating personnel on the ground in China specifically tasked to monitor such threats/events. I fear we have only scratched the surface of the "incompetence iceberg".

That does not mean that this is all the fault of one party, administration or individual. I have a feeling there will be plenty of blame to go around. But of course now is not the time to focus on that when we need to take action to save lives and livelihoods....

I'm sure there has been such a playbook in existence for 50 years. If not, exactly what are we paying our national security people to do all these years other than game this stuff out?
    <sig out of order>

we need to take action to save lives and livelihoods....
    yep, social distancing may very well be the new norm. I hear it's now being extended thru June. I'll miss going to certain restaurants, but elsewhere I enjoy it. I'm still working off and on (utility locator) but work is really slow during this stay home decree. I still come across people who try to shake hands or get within a foot or two of me. At least I had purchased Purerell prior to all this mess.

Man, working in higher ed is a nightmare. Shift to online is easy- but then there are all the rules for financial aid, etc. VA and international students have to have time on campus to get their housing allowances, etc. Stuff you never think of...
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Man, working in higher ed is a nightmare. Shift to online is easy- but then there are all the rules for financial aid, etc. VA and international students have to have time on campus to get their housing allowances, etc. Stuff you never think of...
    my wife is an AVP in HR for a university - I've had a front row seat the last week or so

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Yikes! I hope people take this to heart! "The outbreak has stunned county health officials, who have concluded that the virus was almost certainly transmitted through the air from one or more people without symptoms." - 45 out of 61 infected, 3 hospitalized, two dead despite hand sanitizer and refraining from hand shaking, hugging etc.

Get a load of this first-class moron from my neck of the woods: https://www.nbcwashington.com/news/m...rders/2257130/

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    Friend of mine lost his dad on Saturday to the virus.

I'm very much hoping that his horrible, awful loss is the closest this virus will come to my sphere of friends, family, coworkers and more. But I'm not terribly optimistic about that.
    Wow... Very sorry to hear of this, John. My condolences to you and your friend.

Stay safe, man.

Quote Originally Posted by Plasmatopia View Post
    Perhaps they've moved the bats away from the potential intermediary hosts so they feel it's safer now? From their perspective they probably feel like it has mostly been fine for a long time (preceding COVID-19) and now this has blown over and they can go back to normal. I'm not saying it's right, but...
    I think sometimes people overestimate the degree to which the Chinese government, despite being authoritarian, can, or even wants to, micro-manage daily life with an iron fist (with the exception of possiblly seditious content). I understand that there is a popular groundswell among the educated/powerful in China to move away from the wildlife market culture (which, as Zeuhlmate said, are not actually that widespread) for obvious reasons but it takes time to shift that culture, to get the people involved to grasp the risks and even to provide them with other forms of generating commerce. People in China have learned to circumnavigate government controls. The CCP can get people to do things effectively (such as build a new hospital within 5 days or requisition medical personnel from all over the country for immediate deployment in Wuhan) but it is much, much harder to get people to not to do something that they've been doing for hundreds of year (although I personally wish they would/could).

The article, however, made it seem like the Chinese national government had actually mandated an official 'victory holiday' which was celebrated by slaughtering animals. Well, no, that didn't happen. Even the pedantic title displays the intention of ridiculing those 'backward' and 'ignorant' people.

'Tip of the iceberg': is our destruction of nature responsible for Covid-19?
    As habitat and biodiversity loss increase globally, the coronavirus outbreak may be just the beginning of mass pandemics

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...r-covid-19-aoe

I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

My wife works for this company and is pretty proud of them this morning.
    They have an approved method to decontaminate surgical masks for reuse.
    One of their mobile units has the capacity to process 80,000 masks per day and return them to the hospital they came from.
    They are working to deploy systems to hotspots around the country.
    Battelle does science.

https://www.battelle.org/inb/battell...em-for-covid19
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Banned
    ^^^ nice! she should be proud. Tell her some schmuck on an internet forum said thanks and congrats.

Quote Originally Posted by Jerjo View Post

It would be interesting to get a report from a rural area of a red state. I hope people are taking care of themselves and are getting the right information.
    I live in Sumter County, SC. The population of the county is about 105,000, so we're not the MOST rural, but certainly rural. Most folks around here seem to be doing their part. Restaurants and bars are all closed except for takeout. I've made a few trips to the grocery store and while folks are out shopping, no one seems to be crowding each other in the aisles or at the registers. Overall there seems to be a calm, cautious atmosphere. No handshakes, no hugs, etc. Last update my county has 34 confirmed cases.

For me personally, as a musician and a serious introvert, not a lot has changed with the exception of a bunch of cancelled gigs. I've always been pretty thrifty and cautious with my cash flow, so we are ok for a while even without that income. My wife is a medical social worker so she's still going to work, although very carefully. She has to contact her office every morning and record her temperature, and she was fitted for a special mask for visiting patients, and has a very strict regime of sanitizing hands, phone, notebook, etc. before and after each patient she sees.

From a national (USA) standpoint, here are some figures that MAY indicate some potential good news. Still too early to tell of course, but both of these graphs of daily increases in the US seem to indicate that the exponential increase may be starting to flatten. Of course I realize this may be as much to do with the number of tests catching up to the number of infections, but if this trend keeps up for a few more days, I see it as a hopeful sign.

from https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/
    daily cases 1.jpg

from https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/map.html
    Daily cases 2.jpg
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter" - Yoda

www.farpointband.com
    www.greyfeather.net
    www.kevinjarvismusic.net

Roooooh, this is soooooo gooooood!! lmao.giflmao.gifrire-criswell.gif

my music collection increased tenfolds when I switched from drug-addicts to complete nutcases.