Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by UnderAGlassMoon View Post
    I suppose I can understand the sentiment of not wanting a parent to have to live through this. But I can't say I agree.

I lost my Dad over ten years ago and still miss him everyday. I wish he were around to impart some wisdom, he was a very smart and wise man.
    I'm a month and a half younger than my father was when he died. His last two and a half years of life were spent visiting my grandson in the hospital with leukemia, he was 8 months when diagnosed. The last year and a half of his life were spent having two open heart surgeries where the second one took his life with a bacteria infection. I always thought we would be able to do things in his later years. If he was alive today he would be 95 and who knows what kind of health. My mother passed in January from the effects of dementia and she was 92. Her life the past two years wasn't a bowl of cherries. So, in a way, I'm glad they aren't around to have to deal with everything going on now.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    Great-just what we need, a bunch of postmodernists trying to deconstruct the pandemic and SARS-COV-2 as if it somehow was just more grist for their mill. And I am tired of Zizek being provocative just to be provocative. Who cares, any more? This is schtick. Ain't nobody walking around in a face mask thinking that this "provides a welcome anonymity and liberation from the social pressure of recognition." Well, maybe an introvert or two. But he's always good for a laugh, I have to say, so utterly self-important and self-centered. Jeez.
    Yeah, I thought the article was a misreading of humanity and current events. Intellectual dreaming for a small percentage of people, but relevant to none.
    He did not know that the sword he'd hold, would turn his priceless empire into fool's gold...

http://www.discogs.com/user/moecurlythanu/collection

I lost my parents five and four years ago now, Dad first through pancreatic cancer, Mum a year later with dementia. Dad was a wise and interesting man, he delighted in world events, but he reached 88 and he had no chance once diagnosed. Were they both still here I would fear terribly for their safety, and lockdown would have kept us apart. On balance I’m pleased they do not have to face the current world, at least we said our goodbyes in person.

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sunlight Caller View Post
    I lost my parents five and four years ago now, Dad first through pancreatic cancer, Mum a year later with dementia. Dad was a wise and interesting man, he delighted in world events, but he reached 88 and he had no chance once diagnosed. Were they both still here I would fear terribly for their safety, and lockdown would have kept us apart. On balance Iím pleased they do not have to face the current world, at least we said our goodbyes in person.
    I can relate. My mother and father died of dementia/cancer, respectively - 3 days apart 8 years ago. I know my dad died of a broken heart though. I saw them all the time in there final years, including setting up assisted living for them both. It would have been extremely difficult if they were quarentined.

My heart goes out to our good PE friend, Steve, for being in a difficult circumstance in an assisted living facility.

RIP Mom and Dad.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound.

I see the FBI is starting to go after the senators who sold their stocks when they found out about the pandemic.

^^ Yep. There are a number of them who should be nervous right now.
    "A conspiracy of silence speaks louder than words."

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

^^^
    Why would it be illegal to sell your stocks when you figure that they probably might drop?
    Did the senators have 'secret' information nobody else had?

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    ^^^
    Why would it be illegal to sell your stocks when you figure that they probably might drop?
    Did the senators have 'secret' information nobody else had?
    Yes, they were on committees that had prior knowledge of the looming crisis

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ral-bankruptcy
    The more you know you know you don't know what you know

Quote Originally Posted by Munster View Post
    Yes, they were on committees that had prior knowledge of the looming crisis

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...ral-bankruptcy
    Unethical and selfish - yes, but isn't that more or less what stocktrading is all about?
    What info could they have had ? Nobody really knew anything but what you could read - its just good guessing: Will the chinese problem spread or not.

In Denmark a guy made a fortune (ca 500 k $) when he smelled the rat just by reading the newspapers about covid-19 in China.
    I didn't sell because I was to slow, and was adviced not to - but in Denmark most of the danish stocks are coming up again. In a few years they are back.

Unethical and selfish - yes, but isn't that more or less what stocktrading is all about?
    What info could they have had ? Nobody really knew anything but what you could read - its just good guessing: Will the chinese problem spread or not.
    I work in the industry, and stock trading is not all about being unethical. Selfish I will grant you.

According to the article, he had access to information that made him tell his insider friends that the virus was way more aggressive than what was being reported to the general population. He acted on that information, as likely did his friends, while he was telling the public not to panic and that it wasn't that bad. Sure, nothing in securities trading is ever a sure thing, but if this is true, it is a clear case of acting on inside information, and his actions could be construed as having artificially propped the market so he could get out before the crash. It's a serious charge and should be investigated appropriately. Martha Stewart went to prison, correctly, for a much less serious violation.

In Denmark a guy made a fortune (ca 500 k $) when he smelled the rat just by reading the newspapers about covid-19 in China.
    I didn't sell because I was to slow, and was adviced not to - but in Denmark most of the danish stocks are coming up again. In a few years they are back.
    I kick myself for not reacting more decisively in December when I first heard the news out of China. Something in my gut told me this was going to be big, but I didn't listen. In retrospect, this guy did the right thing. But again, acting on reports that are available to everyone is different from acting on information coming from some inside source, whether someone in a company, or in the government. What the Danish guy did was perfectly legal.

BTW, 500,000 Danish Krone is about $70,000 USD. Hardly a fortune, but a nice score nonetheless.

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Sputnik View Post
    I work in the industry, and stock trading is not all about being unethical. Selfish I will grant you.

According to the article, he had access to information that made him tell his insider friends that the virus was way more aggressive than what was being reported to the general population. He acted on that information, as likely did his friends, while he was telling the public not to panic and that it wasn't that bad. Sure, nothing in securities trading is ever a sure thing, but if this is true, it is a clear case of acting on inside information, and his actions could be construed as having artificially propped the market so he could get out before the crash. It's a serious charge and should be investigated appropriately. Martha Stewart went to prison, correctly, for a much less serious violation.

I kick myself for not reacting more decisively in December when I first heard the news out of China. Something in my gut told me this was going to be big, but I didn't listen. In retrospect, this guy did the right thing. But again, acting on reports that are available to everyone is different from acting on information coming from some inside source, whether someone in a company, or in the government. What the Danish guy did was perfectly legal.

BTW, 500,000 Danish Krone is about $70,000 USD. Hardly a fortune, but a nice score nonetheless.

Bill
    Yeah I agree, labelling all stock trading unethical is pretty radical

If the public was told something else than he actually knew from his position makes it different.

I think it was 500.000 measured in $ he earned. - He sold most of his stocks 21.02. and then shorted. Lars Tvede is his name.
    https://translate.google.com/transla...for-risikabelt

I think it was 500.000 measured in $ he earned. - He sold most of his stocks 21.02. and then shorted. Lars Tvede is his name.
    https://translate.google.com/transla...for-risikabelt
    Ah, I mis-read that. If that was USD, then he did extremely well for himself!

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    I see the FBI is starting to go after the senators who sold their stocks when they found out about the pandemic.
    Burr stepped down after difficult questioning.

The Czech prime minister is winning kudos for his management of the pandemic. The question is how he deals with the economic fallout.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...navirus-crisis

Were you all really arguing over whether or not insider trading is illegal? A sitting US Senator is given information no one else in the country knows about, information he can plainly see will impact the market, and uses that information to sell off stocks he know will be hurt, while purchasing futures on those he knows will go up? This is not about a savvy trader who studies the market and acts on the information he or she finds. By the way, in Burr's case, it is likely not about his stock trading but about his involvement in the work proving the case against Trump in the Russia cases- they did not charge Kelly Loeffler, who also acted on the same information Burr did.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Were you all really arguing over whether or not insider trading is illegal? A sitting US Senator is given information no one else in the country knows about, information he can plainly see will impact the market, and uses that information to sell off stocks he know will be hurt, while purchasing futures on those he knows will go up? This is not about a savvy trader who studies the market and acts on the information he or she finds. By the way, in Burr's case, it is likely not about his stock trading but about his involvement in the work proving the case against Trump in the Russia cases- they did not charge Kelly Loeffler, who also acted on the same information Burr did.
    It's so transparent what happened here.

Were you all really arguing over whether or not insider trading is illegal?
    Nope, at the most whether it was insider trading or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Burr stepped down after difficult questioning.
    Only from his committee seat, though.

By the way, in Burr's case, it is likely not about his stock trading but about his involvement in the work proving the case against Trump in the Russia cases- they did not charge Kelly Loeffler, who also acted on the same information Burr did.
    I don't buy that at all. I'm betting a number of them are being investigated.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

It's all about leverage and Kompromat.
    Nothing personal, just business ( and who gets their cut, a vote and verbal support ( cue sucking sounds ))
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    ďA Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot ReadĒ - Unknown

I don't buy that at all. I'm betting a number of them are being investigated.
    A number of them have said they have been contacted. But my comment was that none have been charged which, as of this writing, is true.

It's all about leverage and Kompromat.
    I believe this to a large degree. Burr is the real target, the rest are likely friendly fire damage.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

It is similar to Manafort being released due to Covid concerns but Cohen remains incarcerated.

A number of them have said they have been contacted. But my comment was that none have been charged which, as of this writing, is true.
    Burr hasn't been charged, either.

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

Nope, at the most whether it was insider trading or not.
    Common sense says of course it is, but turns out the law might say otherwise- in Israel the chief of staff sold his stocks when he found out that a war is going to start, turns out this is not considered 'inside information " as this only speaks about companies and not about state affairs.
    In hebrew there is a saying- its Kosher but it stinks
    By the way, above-mentioned chief of staff actually lost some money as those specific stocks actually went up...

Get this shit. I just looked up the Stock Trading Act of 2012:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/STOCK_Act

Here's an interesting little nugget:

In February 2012, the STOCK Act passed in the Senate by a 96–3 vote; the only no votes were senators Jeff Bingaman, Richard Burr, and Tom Coburn.

Well, how about that?

- Dr. Winston O'Boogie

"Three other senators also sold major holdings around the time Mr. Burr did, according to the disclosure records: Dianne Feinstein, Democrat of California, who is also a member of the Intelligence Committee; James M. Inhofe, Republican of Oklahoma; and Kelly Loeffler, Republican of Georgia."
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/19/u...ronavirus.html