Page 13 of 235 FirstFirst ... 3910111213141516172363113 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I've never used a bidet but have always wondered how one little stream of water is supposed to thoroughly clean the ginormous butt crack of a 300 pound man?
    As an owner (and daily user) of a TOTO Washlet and a ginormous butt crack of silverback proportions, let me just say this:

The "little stream of water" is a very powerful jet of warm, pulsating water that is PRECISELY aimed at the exit port. It has enough power to cause you to have to flush twice occasionally to clean the bowl! (Sorry, but true.)

And yes, there's no going back to paper alone after having tried one once. Anything less is positively disgusting now.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    I've never used a bidet but have always wondered how one little stream of water is supposed to thoroughly clean the ginormous butt crack of a 300 pound man?
    I can’t say I’m in the least bit surprised. But if you’re morbidly obese you really really should try a bidet. I sure don’t know how TP could possibly do the job under those circumstances. In fact I don’t want to think about it or explain basic hygiene to an alleged adult.

<edit> ooops I see rcarlburg just tried to explain it. Don’t wast your time sir, I doubt the most powerful and self-evident arrow of logic could penetrate that level of density.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    I can’t say I’m in the least bit surprised. But if you’re morbidly obese you really really should try a bidet. I sure don’t know how TP could possibly do the job under those circumstances. In fact I don’t want to think about it or explain basic hygiene to an alleged adult.

<edit> ooops I see rcarlburg just tried to explain it. Don’t wast your time sir, I doubt the most powerful and self-evident arrow of logic could penetrate that level of density.
    I can’t say I’m in the least bit surprised by what you said either.

Good to know some things never change.

Ember
    CDC recommends no gatherings of 50 or more for next eight weeks.

https://www.npr.org/2020/03/15/81624...e-next-8-weeks

At this point it's guidance, not a mandate. But it does overlap ROSfest, barely. And ROSfest impacts several acts that would otherwise not be able to come to the US, such as BBT.

Personally, the next tickets I'm hoping I might be able to use are for the Marlboro Music Festival in Vermont in July.

"Britain is preparing to ban mass gatherings and could isolate people aged over 70 for up to four months as part of plans to tackle coronavirus, Health Secretary Matt Hancock said."

The text is in english: Both French and Dutch medical professionals are reporting that half of coronavirus ICU patients are under the age of 60 and 50-years-old respectively.

https://ugebrev.dk/flashnews/geopoli...-under-50-aar/

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    As an owner (and daily user) of a TOTO Washlet and a ginormous butt crack of silverback proportions, let me just say this:

The "little stream of water" is a very powerful jet of warm, pulsating water that is PRECISELY aimed at the exit port. It has enough power to cause you to have to flush twice occasionally to clean the bowl! (Sorry, but true.)

And yes, there's no going back to paper alone after having tried one once. Anything less is positively disgusting now.
    I guess if you puke your guts out you can use it to rinse out your mouth.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Key facts:
    • 42 coronavirus deaths among at least 769 overall cases in Washington.
    • 9,451 people have tested negative in Washington.
    • Gov. Inslee announced all private and public K-12 schools will close through April to help stop the spread of the virus.
    • Washington has the most confirmed cases in the U.S.
    Scientists at the University of Washington developed their own coronavirus test early on, so more people have been tested in Washington State than anywhere else in the country. It's not that we have MORE CASES than everywhere else, it's that we've done a lot more testing. We have almost as many "negative" results as TOTAL tests run throughout the rest of the country.

Tests done in Washington: 769 + 9,451 = 10,220
    Tests done nationwide: 4,069 + 18,644 = 22,713

Subtract Washington's total, you get 12,493 tests done in the other 49 states.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 03-16-2020 at 11:15 AM.

I Denmark we dont test, unless there is severe indications that you have it (e.g. you cant breathe).
    Fever and cough etc. is not enough.
    The strategy is that you shouldn't mingle unless its absolutely necessary.

Businesses like hairdressers will die fast.

You can transmit when you are asymptomatic. It takes up to 3 weeks (but more commonly 4-5 days) between exposure and the start of symptoms. During the incubation period you are actually shedding MORE virus than when you're symptomatic.

You can transmit when you are asymptomatic. It takes up to 3 weeks (but more commonly 4-5 days) between exposure and the start of symptoms. During the incubation period you are actually shedding MORE virus than when you're symptomatic.
    I never heared that. Source?

FWIW

My friend Ricardo worked with the patient that was identified @ the Tysons Capital One office (here in Northern VA). Per Ricardo, he's in bad shape (the word he used was 'critical') and isn't the typical "expected" case. He's in his 30's but apparently smokes/vapes. Main risk here is that most folks in that office walk over to the Tyson's Mall food court for lunch. Tyson's has an IMAX theater, lots of food traffic and is metro accessible. So...won't be surprised to see a spike in cases in the nearby vicinity.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Most of these discussions wind up in the toilet.

Quote Originally Posted by thedunno View Post
    I never heared that. Source?
    https://www.cnn.com/2020/03/14/healt...ead/index.html
    http://www.cidrap.umn.edu/news-persp...vid-19-viruses
    ... and many others

Quote Originally Posted by Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy
    The findings contrasted starkly with those from the 2003 outbreak of SARS in terms of viral load. "In SARS, it took 7 to 10 days after onset until peak RNA concentrations (of up to 5x105 copies per swab) were reached," the researchers wrote. "In the present study, peak concentrations were reached before day 5, and were more than 1,000 times higher."

The researchers estimated the median incubation period at 5.1 days (95% confidence interval [CI], 4.5 to 5.8 days). They found that 97.5% of patients who have symptoms do so within 11.5 days of infection (CI, 8.2 to 15.6 days).
    Unfortunately, one of the reasons this pandemic is growing exponentially is the lack of correct official information -- causing people to have to rely on social media, which is mostly peddling dangerous misinformation.
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 03-16-2020 at 10:26 AM.

Scientists at the University of Washington developed their own coronavirus test early on, so more people have been tested in Washington State than anywhere else in the country. It's not that we have MORE CASES than everywhere else, it's that we've done a lot more testing. We have almost as many "negative" results as TOTAL tests run throughout the rest of the country.
    And also announced this morning.....All eat-in restaurants & bars will be closed. The "gathering" order has gone from a max of 250 down to 50. Restaurants can still do take-out.

One daily activity I have postponed was my morning Mall Walk. Up here in the crappy rainy season a lot of folks walk around in Shopping Malls before they open. Most of us are geezers but the homeless & working poor hang out there too. Homeless for obvious reasons just to get out of the weather and a lot of mothers with strollers use the indoor play areas. Yes, it gets above 50 people at times.....will that eventually stop? I have also not heard that my gym LA Fitness has closed yet. Hmmmmm a bunch of sweating heavy breathing folks in close proximity. Maybe I'll go for a drive today to see whats closed.

It's real for us here in Washington....as RC stated 42 dead.
    The Ice Cream Lady Wet her drawers........To see you in the Passion Playyyy eeee - I. Anderson

"It's kind of like deciding not to date a beautiful blonde anymore because she farted." - Top Cat

I was expecting to be kinda meh, but it made my nips stiffen - Jerjo

(Zamran) "that fucking thing man . . . it sits there on my wall like a broken clock " - Helix

Social Media is the "Toilet" of the Internet - Lady Gaga

And actually it is very simple:
    Stay away from other people untill the crisis is over.
    It is all about delaying the spread of the virus as much as possible.
    So that if you get it (which you will), there will someone to help you.

West of Worcester (Western Massachusetts)
    Yet here I am at work

Quote Originally Posted by Garyhead View Post
    One daily activity I have postponed was my morning Mall Walk. Up here in the crappy rainy season a lot of folks walk around in Shopping Malls before they open. Most of us are geezers but the homeless & working poor hang out there too. Homeless for obvious reasons just to get out of the weather and a lot of mothers with strollers use the indoor play areas. Yes, it gets above 50 people at times.....will that eventually stop? I have also not heard that my gym LA Fitness has closed yet. Hmmmmm a bunch of sweating heavy breathing folks in close proximity. Maybe I'll go for a drive today to see whats closed.
    Hopefully my YMCA pool remains open, where I swim every morning. The CDC says chlorine kills the virus.

Hopefully my YMCA pool remains open, where I swim every morning. The CDC says chlorine kills the virus.
    All public pools in Denmark are closed.
    Swimming athletes are frustrated.

Quote Originally Posted by mnprogger View Post
    IThe thing I am wanting them to report more on are people who get it, and GET BETTER. And WHEN are they not contagious anymore.
    Half of the Wuhan patients have now recovered and are symptom-free. The other half are still symptomatic and under treatment.
    Quote Originally Posted by Center for Infectious Disease Research and Policy
    COVID-19 can be spread before it causes symptoms, when it produces symptoms like those of the common cold, and as many as 12 days after recovery, according to a virologic analysis of nine infected patients published today on the preprint server medRxiv.

"Shedding of viral RNA from sputum outlasted the end of symptoms," the authors wrote. "These findings suggest adjustments of current case definitions and re-evaluation of the prospects of outbreak containment."

Quote Originally Posted by battema View Post
    FWIW

My friend Ricardo worked with the patient that was identified @ the Tysons Capital One office (here in Northern VA). Per Ricardo, he's in bad shape (the word he used was 'critical') and isn't the typical "expected" case. He's in his 30's but apparently smokes/vapes. Main risk here is that most folks in that office walk over to the Tyson's Mall food court for lunch. Tyson's has an IMAX theater, lots of food traffic and is metro accessible. So...won't be surprised to see a spike in cases in the nearby vicinity.
    Thanks for the update. I have to go to Tysons tomorrow for a meeting. I guess I'll wear my hazmat suite.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Gyms are a tricky one. Group classes are very risky. Working out as a group, ditto.

Individually...as long as one stays to oneself and consistently wipes down equipment before/after use (which arguably should be common practice regardless), some experts suggest the health benefits to exercise may offset the potential risk if one is not already in an area with a considerable outbreak.

I am making that call on a day-by-day basis. Pool is harder to be fair, but for the kind of working out I do, I can accomplish a fair bit at home if need be.
    If you're actually reading this then chances are you already have my last album but if NOT and you're curious:
    https://battema.bandcamp.com/

Also, Ephemeral Sun: it's a thing and we like making things that might be your thing: https://ephemeralsun.bandcamp.com

Clinical course and risk factors for mortality of adult inpatients with COVID-19 in Wuhan, China: a retrospective cohort study
    https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...566-3/fulltext

Quote Originally Posted by Don Arnold View Post
    How much are you charging for the use of 'Quarantini', Steve? I enjoy making up a martini for my wife and I (and also enjoy naming them) on occasion. I'll have to whip up my own Quarantini!

cheers
    I stole it from someone else. Please DO use it. We all need a little Quarantini happiness right now.....
    Steve F.

www.waysidemusic.com
    www.cuneiformrecords.com

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

“Remember, if it doesn't say "Cuneiform," it's not prog!” - THE Jed Levin

Any time any one speaks to me about any musical project, the one absolute given is "it will not make big money". [tip of the hat to HK]

"Death to false 'support the scene' prog!"

please add 'imo' wherever you like, to avoid offending those easily offended.

Zeuhlmate- some interpretation with that article. It makes it seem as though the death rate is immensely high- but the reason people are in the hospital in the first place is that they are very sick. (This is known as a spectrum bias in research since the data does not include patients across the spectrum of presentation). Old age was just 1.1 times more likely to lead to death; the d-dimer OR is the one that really seems to be tied in to death, as that OR was 18.42 (i.e. with a high d-dimer level you are 18x more likely to die than if low). A variety of conditions inclreased chance of death- cardiovascualr disease (OR=21.1), COPD (OR=5.4), smoking even increased rate of death by 2.3x. This is really scary data to me.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.