Page 90 of 235 FirstFirst ... 4080868788899091929394100140190 ... LastLast
Results 2,226 to 2,250 of 5872

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

^^ Well, nobody saw that coming. /s

Hey, at least their personal liberties to die an early death by getting infected by someone else are protected.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

And we are not even talking second wave yet.

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    The second wave is a tsunami, and the average American is an ostrich.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

I can say with absolute confidence there will be NO second wave this fall. In order for there to be a second wave, the first wave must first come to an end. This first wave is growing more powerful, not ending.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

The closure of the US/Canuckistan border was set to end June 21. I just checked. It's now moved to the end of July. At the rate we're going it won't be open until spring of 2021.
    I don't like country music, but I don't mean to denigrate those who do. And for the people who like country music, denigrate means 'put down.'- Bob Newhart

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    The numbers of infected in Oslo has tripled the last days, presumably because people have started to relax.

https://www.nrk.no/norge/smitten-oke...ien-1.15048346
    Hello Gang!

The same here in rainy Costa Rica plus we're beginning to experience the "Nicaragua effect" as I call it:
    A brother country of good and hard-working people but due to the negligence of its government and its refusal to approach the pandemic with all the seriousness of the case, it's beginning to get out of control and although our borders are more and better protected, there is always the crossing of "nicaraguan migrants"; in the last week, Costa Rica has experienced an exponential percentage of positive cases in that area which is the border with Nicaragua, but I must also clarify, that these aren't only of Nicaraguan people, the percentage of Ticos is important as well.

It's said that we're starting the second wave!

"As of June 13, 50 new cases of COVID-19 are registered for a total of 1,662 confirmed cases with an age range of zero to 92 years.
    There are 762 women and 900 men, of whom 1247 are Costa Rican and 415 foreigners.

There are 743 people recovered in 66 cantons. The recovered cases have an age range of zero to 86 years, of which 356 are women and 387 are men, by age we have: 667 adults, 36 older adults and 40 minors.

There are 12 regrettable deaths, three women and nine men with an age range of 26 to 87 years.
    19 people are hospitalized, three of them are in intensive care with an age range of 59 to 72 years"

https://www.ministeriodesalud.go.cr/...s-por-covid-19
    https://www.facebook.com/msaludcr/

Finally, our lovely daughter is still in Australia and we think it's better for now. (I really miss her!)

My friends, keep safe and take care ... one day at a time!

Pura Vida.
    Tomás.
    Last edited by TCC; 06-14-2020 at 02:14 AM.
    Pura Vida!.

There are two kinds of music. Good music, and the other kind. ∞
    Duke Ellington.

I heard Brazil is a mess.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

^^ Brazil has been burying people in mass graves.

Crisis? What Crisis?

At a Walmart, all the employees and maybe 10% of the customers were wearing face masks. One man had a baby seat in his shopping cart and neither he nor the baby had a mask. Nor did anyone in the area they were in, i.e., none of the women swarming around to get a closer look at the baby. I'm sure it's difficult to get a baby to wear a face mask properly. But why bring him to Walmart? And why didn't his dad care enough to wear a mask? Many people seem to believe the coronavirus pandemic is all over. More than enough people have died here for us to let our guard down now. Just because greedy minds determined businesses should reopen, doesn't mean we all have to flock to them unprotected.
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

^^ I made a simple FB post about a woman at a local store who was wearing a mask, but her five-year-old daughter wasn't. I asked, "What compels a person to do this?" A friend stated that I lacked compassion and maybe the child was an asthma sufferer who couldn't wear one. Perhaps, but I clarified that my compassion was for the child. (And of course, the child could have stayed at home, one would like to think.) This fiend is one of those who only posts news stories downplaying the virus and sowing doubt about the seriousness of it all. Yet, I'm the one who lacks compassion. I just snoozed him for another 30 days.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Off topic, just quit FB altogether. I did. I feel better. Been 19 months since I did.

On topic, I am so sorry that good science has been subsumed by political tribalism. Wear the mask. That's all it takes to decrease disease transmission. I wear mine whenever I am out in public.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

This will probably be removed as political, but it is really about leadership, and lack of it.

"And because we’re following our own rules, with few accepted government guidelines, it’s only natural to see photos of people doing something you personally don’t think is safe and to blame them for the current state of affairs."

"if you think everyone should stay home until there’s a comprehensive testing, tracing, and isolating strategy in place, you’ll be waiting for a long time. The Trump administration has not indicated that they’ll beef up the coronavirus response."
    Last edited by Poisoned Youth; 06-15-2020 at 12:06 PM. Reason: removed the link

I don't know... to me it seems that you are putting too much emphasis on masks. In Finland nobody uses or have used those and now we have reached almost zero new cases per day situation.
    My progressive music site: https://pienemmatpurot.com/ Reviews in English: https://pienemmatpurot.com/in-english/

Masks alone aren't the solution. They can help when people are in close proximity, such as at a store. Keeping your distance from others and staying home as much as possible are, I think, more effective.

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    I don't know... to me it seems that you are putting too much emphasis on masks. In Finland nobody uses or have used those and now we have reached almost zero new cases per day situation.
    That's an interesting correlation you're asserting. But I expect that has more to do with the civic mindfulness of your citizens and this you said earlier...

Quote Originally Posted by Kcrimso View Post
    Yes and for us Finnish people the social distancing is the norm.
    From my observations, masks are the simplest and best defense in situations where you are out and can't social distance. As a significant part of American identity is on full display right now (going to bars, beaches, eating out, shopping, protests, and (soon) sports), not to mention a swath of the population who thinks COVID is overblown/just the flu/hoax/impinges on "my freedoms", we need all the help we can get lol.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

^^ Amen. The only thing I was add is "properly worn" in front of "masks."

Here in the US, the decision whether or not to wear a mask has become a highly political statement.

Fauci said that US govt held off promoting face masks because it knew shortages were so bad even doctors couldn't get enough

There's still a mask shortage, and lack of availability of COVID tests and contact tracing, at least around these parts.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Here in the US, the decision whether or not to wear a mask has become a highly political statement.
    Unfortunately how you brush your teeth and most everything else is seen this way.

Quote Originally Posted by Rye-Ergot View Post
    Unfortunately how you brush your teeth and most everything else is seen this way.
    As long as we allow others to frame them that way.

If we could only, as a collective race of humans, raise the level of consciousness just a bit.

Then we have the protesters with face mask that pull it down when they yelling and screaming at something / someone. I mean, why bother having one then...
    Check out my concert videos on my youtube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/broadaccent

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Stomach aches among school aged children have drastically reduced since school closures.

Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    Stomach aches among school aged children have drastically reduced since school closures.
    There's a school lunch joke in there somewhere...
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

In Denmark allmost no body wears masks, but keeping distance, just small controllable events, washing hands, sneezing and coughing in your sleeve not your hands has been the most effective 'tools' so far.
    At the same time we have been able to afford paying the bussiness's losses. This has the advantage that it does not make an alternative for the worker to stay home. The employer pays you and has the say.
    Denmark is opening up now but keeping a very strict view on the development. Ready to close down again some businesses (primarily in the entertainment departement, sports, music, tourist...).

But

Next time covid-xx or whatever strikes, this will probably be too expensive. Instead we will build up effective fast controll system and fast isolation.

If there will be no vaccine or natural immunisation - the world economy will dive for a long long time.

Brasil, India and similar countries are fucked...

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    If we could only, as a collective race of humans, raise the level of consciousness just a bit.
    We will find out this weekend.
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!