Page 8 of 235 FirstFirst ... 4567891011121858108 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Sean View Post
    This might put a few minds at ease...

https://news.yahoo.com/dont-panic-sa...-sh&soc_trk=fb
    Yes, if you're young & healthy, the infection is no worse than the flu or the worst cold you ever had. You can get through it.

On the other hand if you're old & infirm or have underlying respiratory problems, the infection can overwhelm your body's ability to fight it off. These are the people who should take all necessary steps to prevent exposure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate
    Boiled down:

We will all get corona perhaps this year, hopefully later - the problem is that if we all get it at the same time, nobody can treat us, and the weakest of us will suffer and perhaps die.
    So its crucial to delay the spreading, so there is a possibility that you can get the necessary help if needed.

In Denmark every larger place where people gathers, like schools, universities, concerts, sports events, are closed down some weeks, and then we evaluate.

You americans should probably do the same.
    It cost a lot of money, but...
    Exactly right. The disease spreads exponentially, unless infected individuals are isolated. You cannot isolate infected individuals until you know who is infected. And you cannot know who is infected without testing.

Therefore, in a medically third-world nation such as the USA, it's logical to assume that nearly ALL of us will get exposed to the virus in the next 3 months. 80% of us will have mild symptoms and recover. 17% of us will have severe symptoms, requiring hospitalization, but will eventually recover. 3% of us will not recover -- primarily the sickest and most vulnerable.

The USA has missed the opportunity to limit the spread of the disease. That boat has already sailed.

hiding out in treetops, shouting out rude names
    Flu protocol has been a yearly thing for my family for the last several years. I had a sickly father-in-law that lived in fear of whatever flu du jour was floating around. He's gone now, but my mother-in-law, who's now 80yrs old, seemingly has a perpetual cold and we've been careful with her the last few years. I have a niece who had a heart transplant 12 years ago who goes into lockdown every "flu season". She is particularly scared about this.*

Whether or not the media is blowing things out of proportion the fact is we all needed a refresher course in basic health. It shouldn't always be about me and how I feel. There are a lot of people out there that have to be very careful all the time, pandemic or not, and are reliant on others to be considerate. It wouldn't hurt us to adopt the latest health protocols into our daily lives from here on out. It could prevent or at least lesson the severity of future pandemics as well as boost public confidence, which could go along way in stemming the tide of panic that allows people to act like animals, purchasing more products and food than they need and denying those goods to others simply because not everyone is willing to shove and step over the people in front of them.

I do know that there is still a law regarding hoarding during times of national emergency.

This nation has reached a level of intolerance, hate and anger, a us versus them mentality that I've never seen in the course of my 70+ years. Social media is filled with daily posts(most misinformation) on both sides of the political spectrum and those posts feed the flames of hate, anger and lack of respect to other's beliefs.
    But we are also a nation of people who set aside these differences in times of emergency when we are all threatened. It's unfortunate it takes a tragedy or threat to our way of life to bring us together to fight a common threat, but I guess that's the nature of man.

I am encouraged by the way the nation is facing this emergency, both on a personal and a national level.
    The fact that major sports events, concerts, etc are being cancelled to avoid the threat of the disease being spread through large gatherings. It's a hard financial hit but these are the right decisions.
    You hear more and more about people taking it upon themselves to quarantine themselves if they feel they may have been exposed.

The important thing is not to panic and don't get CoVid-19 overload from absorbing excessively with information. It can be overwhelming as well as confusing since there is so much information out there, much of it is good to be aware of, but others can be misinformed and add to an already fearful situation with wrong data.

Btw, I just came from the local Publix grocery store to pick up a few items for the weekend and people have been stocking up since yesterday. The cashier and bagger said it's been crazy since Thursday and since 7am when they first opened up today, Friday. I couldn't even find a bag of potatoes or a bag of dry navy beans, and the shelves are becoming bare.
    And what's up with the toilet paper thing?

Be well, all of you. I hope you, your families and friends remain healthy.
    Remember, we can do this.. we just need to stick together and be considerate of others and be aware in social gatherings(avoid if possible).
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Topcat- you have it right. Thanks.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

And on top of it all, today is Friday the 13th.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    I am encouraged by the way the nation is facing this emergency, both on a personal and a national level. The fact that major sports events, concerts, etc are being cancelled to avoid the threat of the disease being spread through large gatherings. It's a hard financial hit but these are the right decisions.
    I suspect the professional sports cancellation of their seasons had less to do with keeping the public safe, and more to do with awakening people to the seriousness of this situation. If nothing else, it got the attention of Joe Sixpack.

I do not usually swear on message boards, butt his is the kind of utter fucking stupidity we have to deal with now:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...rma-maccallum/
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

We can vote on the wisdom of the proposed cuts to the CDC budget in November.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    I do not usually swear on message boards, butt his is the kind of utter fucking stupidity we have to deal with now:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...rma-maccallum/
    It's behind a paywall. Can you summarize for us?

Banned
    ^^^ Here you go. If you read it, it might make your blood boil and kill any lurking viruses:

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    Are hospitals ready for coronavirus patients? A health official ducks question 4 times in Fox News interview.

The question was important, straightforward and crucial to the country’s preparedness for dealing with the coronavirus crisis: Are America’s hospitals equipped to treat a possible influx of patients afflicted with covid-19? Do they have enough intensive care units and enough ventilators?

And the official being questioned by Fox News anchor Martha MacCallum on Thursday night was in a position to know. After all, Seema Verma is the administrator of the Centers for Medicare and Medicaid Services, which, as its website says, “oversees one of the largest federal agencies that administers vital health care programs to over 100 million Americans.” She is also on the White House coronavirus task force.

As hard as she tried, however, MacCallum could not get a straight answer.

“We’ve heard there’s a shortage of ventilators, even swabs,” the host said on “The Story with Martha MacCallum.” “What’s being done about that and how concerned are you that when these numbers [of patients] do start to rise …. that there’ll be enough ICU units, enough ventilators, to help the people who do get sick in this country?”

“Well, that’s why we have an emergency preparedness system,” Verma responded. “We’re used to dealing with disasters … If you look at disasters that have emerged around hurricanes, in Puerto Rico, in Florida.....”

MacCallum cut her off and asked: “So are you saying we do have enough?”

“One of the things we’re doing at CMS is to have rapid dialogue with health care providers,” said Verma. “We’re meeting with providers on a daily basis … That’s why we’re putting out so much guidance.”

With frustration showing on her face, MacCallum tried again. “Yeah. I understand that,” she said. “Can I just ask you one more time, will there be enough?"

This time Verma just ignored the question, continuing her thread from her previous answer about guidance to health care providers. “Before you go into your doctor, you can call them on the phone and have a discussion with them. We don’t want people to travel unnecessarily if they’re not feeling well.”

Verma went on before MacCallum made one more valiant attempt.

“Before I let you go I want to ask you one more time, are there going to be people in this country who don’t get a ventilator when they need one?” she asked. “Can you reassure everyone out there tonight that there’s not a shortage of ventilators or ICU units?”

Instead of answering the fourth iteration of MacCallum’s question, Verma launched into praise for President Trump. “And that’s why the president has taken such a bold and decisive action,” she said. “We’re not waiting for this to get worse …”

Running out of time and patience, MacCallum gave up. “Okay. That’s not a direct answer to the question."

MacCallum concluded by suggesting that the administration was operating on sheer hope that the hospitals would be all right.

She said she hoped so too.
    Kudos to the Fox News interviewer for trying to get an answer! Strange times when I am complimenting Fox News, hell maybe we can pull together!

^^In Seema Verma's defense -- who is NOT a doctor, but was CEO of "a health policy consulting firm" before Trump appointed her -- she can only try to run interference for the person who brought her to the dance. MacCallum KNEW the answer to her question. Everyone knows the answer to that question. It's been widely reported.

It's not Seema's fault that she's on the front lines, totally unprepared, without the resources she needs.

(Although, she may have other vulnerabilities:
    On August 20, 2018, Verma filed a claim requesting that taxpayers reimburse her for jewelry that was allegedly stolen on a work-related trip to San Francisco. Although she requested $47,000, including a $325 claim for moisturizer and a $5,900 Ivanka Trump-brand pendant, she ultimately received $2,852.40 in reimbursement.
    )
    Last edited by rcarlberg; 03-13-2020 at 11:06 AM.

Banned
    ^^^ All good points, but it's still infuriating (at least to me).

Quote Originally Posted by rcarlberg View Post
    It's not Seema's fault that she's on the front lines, totally unprepared, without the resources she needs.
    It certainly is. She took the job knowing what she was getting into. Let's not fool ourselves.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Banned
    An update from here on the ground. I think some will be interested. If not, please ignore and keep on truckin'. This is the response my boss has received from the local health authorities and what she has communicated to the company officers and HR. I was exposed to her on Monday:

1. You do not have flu or bronchitis.
    2. You have all the symptoms for COVID-19 but we cannot test you.
    3. Since you did not travel to China or Italy, you do not qualify for COVID 19 testing. There are hardly any kits and we are prioritizing on who gets tested.
    4. You need to quarantine yourself and let your employer know.
    5. Your employer will ask for an All Cleared notice for you to return to work. We only issue quarantine notices. We do not issue all cleared to go back to work kind of notices.

They did a nasal swab, a throat swab, a flu test, a brochities test, a breath test and a temperature test.

They are currently only testing
    1. If one is hospitalized with symptoms of COVID 19. It needs to be severe enough for me to be hospitalized to get a test.
    2. If one is over 65 with preexisting conditions and showing symptoms of COVID 19
    3. If I traveled to China or Italy or other documented COVID -19 transmission jurisdictions or if I am a medical professional

"They said Quest Diagnostics is developing a test that will be available next week that I can purchase. When I asked for medication, the lady told me I was doing all the right things including “self-medication… which means, there is no medication either."

[video=youtube]
    Holy crap, dude. I've been tolerant, but once more and you're out. There's been several complaints up to this point. I was hopeful you'd get the hint with various deletions. Do yourself a favor and take a moment to breathe or something. You don't have to refresh every 30 seconds and respond to every post.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by Buddhabreath View Post
    An update from here on the ground. I think some will be interested. If not, please ignore and keep on truckin'. This is the response my boss has received from the local health authorities and what she has communicated to the company officers and HR. I was exposed to her on Monday:
    This does not make any sense "5. Your employer will ask for an All Cleared notice for you to return to work. We only issue quarantine notices. We do not issue all cleared to go back to work kind of notices. It sounds like something out of a Marx Brothers movie.
    How do you get a all clear notice?

My prayers and thoughts go out to you, your boss and her family...
    Soundcloud page: Richard Hermans, musical meanderings https://soundcloud.com/precipice YouTube: [https://www.youtube.com/@richardhermans4457

Like the post above, stay home, watch some movies, play games, read books, do yard work, maybe even put down the devices and have a conversation.

Hm. "Prog" related, but not to add to any incessant alarmism; Norway is currently one of the heaviest struck countries, and public anxiety here is pretty imminent. People are temporarily acquitted from jobs, daycare centers, schools, leisure events of any kind; pubs, bars, restaurants, cafés, canteens, cinemas, theatres, museums, even the police stations are effectively closed for general access. And the internet is, well, slow.

What better to do than read those books you never finished, watch those series or movies, or indeed - listen to music? Preferably without pissing off the usual grunty neighbour… As some of you know, hard liquor (and even wine) are only available through state-run outlests here in Norway (as in Sweden) - the 'Vinmonopolet'. I went there yesterday, Friday 13th and payday, and got some grand Cognacs and whiskys and Sweet liqueurs, bunking in my hideout small apartment until the most immediate situation hopefully blows over. There's Eastern to come, so it'll be a full month until normal functions are running again here. And I decided to start off with Werner Herzog and his cooperations with (Popol Vuh's) Florian Fricke. Herzog's movies are apparently slow and contemplative overall, yet in reality packed with singular moments totally invested in historical and cultural reference, a specific set of symbolic allegory and aphorism. At 13 I discovered his work through his remake of 'Nosferatu', a film whose alleged horror-effect escaped me due to my artistic and (obvious) academic immaturity at the time but whose supreme brilliance struck me many years on when I began listening to Vuh and promptly returned to the director. Casting the icecold presence of then-ruling French muse Isabelle Adjani was simply an act of absolute genius, as her doll-like absence of emotional mimicry perfectly understated the subtile redaings of existential dread in the message. There was ONE particular scene, however, which completely captivated me already back then - and this is it. Not only as a token to recognition of ends, but to the general realization of irrevocability in "feeling" life and its valor.

Anyway; beautiful sounds, gorgeous pictures, wonderful strength, the will of endurance and the sovereignty of human integrity in the face of death. This is the so-called "dinner scene in the square".

"Improvisation is not an excuse for musical laziness" - Fred Frith
    "[...] things that we never dreamed of doing in Crimson or in any band that I've been in," - Tony Levin speaking of SGM

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Top Cat View Post
    This does not make any sense "5. Your employer will ask for an All Cleared notice for you to return to work. We only issue quarantine notices. We do not issue all cleared to go back to work kind of notices. It sounds like something out of a Marx Brothers movie.
    How do you get a all clear notice?

My prayers and thoughts go out to you, your boss and her family...
    Thanks my friend, and yes there's a lot of things just now that do no make sense.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Holy crap, dude. I've been tolerant, but once more and you're out. There's been several complaints up to this point. I was hopeful you'd get the hint with various deletions. Do yourself a favor and take a moment to breathe or something. You don't have to refresh every 30 seconds and respond to every post.
    Good advice. Caring too much probably isn't good for me. I'll take myself into a self-quarantine now. Carry on.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Must......win.......on........internet......

MUST........WIIIIIIIIIIIN.......

Banned
    Good advice. Caring too much probably isn't good for me. I'll take myself into a self-quarantine now. Carry on.
    I think at a time like this we need to be tolerant of each other except where misinformation is knowingly spread. This is very upsetting - I am on the phone the last days with people crying, meetings on business continuity with people panicking etc. For me and my comrades this is the end of our business for now since we hold in-person classes and face-to-face consulting. We are almost dead in the water, now have multiple people sick etc. etc.

So for those who take offense at any posts, understand there is a lot of distress out here just now and it will affect virtually everyone at some point. So please forgive the venting. It was my intention to share information and experiences.

If you run out of toilet paper:

https://www.amazon.com/Bidet-Attachm..._=sb_s_sparkle

Or if you're at home use the tub or shower to clean up.
    <sig out of order>

Quote Originally Posted by Scrotum Scissor View Post
    And I decided to start off with Werner Herzog and his cooperations with (Popol Vuh's) Florian Fricke. Herzog's movies are apparently slow and contemplative overall, yet in reality packed with singular moments totally invested in historical and cultural reference, a specific set of symbolic allegory and aphorism. At 13 I discovered his work through his remake of 'Nosferatu', a film whose alleged horror-effect escaped me due to my artistic and (obvious) academic immaturity at the time but whose supreme brilliance struck me many years on when I began listening to Vuh and promptly returned to the director. Casting the icecold presence of then-ruling French muse Isabelle Adjani was simply an act of absolute genius, as her doll-like absence of emotional mimicry perfectly understated the subtile redaings of existential dread in the message. There was ONE particular scene, however, which completely captivated me already back then - and this is it. Not only as a token to recognition of ends, but to the general realization of irrevocability in "feeling" life and its valor.

Anyway; beautiful sounds, gorgeous pictures, wonderful strength, the will of endurance and the sovereignty of human integrity in the face of death. This is the so-called "dinner scene in the square".
    I watched this movie last year for the first time and was mesmerized. I love Fricke's sonic contribution and the whole movie is haunting.

These days I was also thinking about taking time to finish a few books and watch some films. But my daughter's school will be closed at least for two weeks and I'm supposed to work at home, so I guess there will be other priorities.
    Best wishes to everybody.

Infectious disease expert Michael Osterholm had some interesting things to say:

<sig out of order>