Page 72 of 235 FirstFirst ... 226268697071727374757682122172 ... LastLast
Results 1,776 to 1,800 of 5872

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow View Post
    Pence bucks Mayo Clinic's mandatory mask policy during visit.

I have no response that wouldn't get me thrown in Leavenworth.
    apparently, the mask would cover his eyes

"since I don't have the coronavirus, I thought it'd be a good opportunity for me to be here, to be able to speak to these researchers, these incredible health care personnel, and look them in the eye and say 'thank you.' "
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by StarThrower View Post
    funding terminated for a years-long research project in China that many experts say is vital to preventing the next major coronavirus outbreak.
    https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...and-coronaviru
    If quick action like this could have slowed down another virus all we will hear is "I never heard about this and I'm not responsible".
    NEVER UNDERESTIMATE THE POWER OF STUPID PEOPLE IN LARGE GROUPS!

Member since March 2004 mozo-pg's Avatar
    I manage a policy team in the federal government in Canada - I asked my director about returning to work in September. She said she couldn't answer.
    What can this strange device be? When I touch it, it brings forth a sound (2112)

Quote Originally Posted by mozo-pg View Post
    I manage a policy team in the federal government in Canada - I asked my director about returning to work in September. She said she couldn't answer.
    When there is no vaccine, I just don't see how anything is going to go back to "normal". The virus ain't going anywhere....the whole thing still baffles me but the reason its working is because we are apart. The minute we get back together, it's going to be a disaster. Those two idiots in CA had their YT video taken down for disseminating false information.
    If it isn't Krautrock, it's krap.

"And it's only the giving
    That makes you what you are" - Ian Anderson

Pence said he is regularly tested.

This is not true for everyone else who for the most part can't get tested at all.

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post

This is not true for everyone else who for the most part can't get tested at all.
    when I read that he is "regularly tested" that caused an immediate red flag
    how come nobody in the general public can get tested?
    Why is it whenever someone mentions an artist that was clearly progressive (yet not the Symph weenie definition of Prog) do certain people feel compelled to snort "thats not Prog" like a whiny 5th grader?

Quote Originally Posted by Camelogue View Post

Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    To be fair, I would expect those in leadership to be tested frequently as they are are by definition "essential". I would be more "offended" if they weren't.

That said, during this time where essential people are going to work, using mass transit, forced to work in meat plants, etc., the testing among this population has been minuscule at best.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Yes, unless you live in a bubble, one test does not clear you. It just gives you a point in time snapshot of your exposure/condition.
    Until things clear, think of it as stop motion testing. You move around and then it's time for another. Especially if there are symptoms present.
    It does concern me a little that people that work in giant meat plants don't get tested for several things on a regular basis.
    I suppose that's why so many recalls happen.
    "It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it."
    -- Aristotle
    Nostalgia, you know, ain't what it used to be. Furthermore, they tells me, it never was.
    “A Man Who Does Not Read Has No Appreciable Advantage Over the Man Who Cannot Read” - Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    When there is no vaccine, I just don't see how anything is going to go back to "normal". The virus ain't going anywhere....the whole thing still baffles me but the reason its working is because we are apart. The minute we get back together, it's going to be a disaster.
    I think there is definite cause for concern. I have been following our home state of Virginia. The official stay at home is now 30 days old and many were beginning to stay at home in the two weeks prior. Case counts keep steadily rising. Virginia now has nearly 16,000 cases with 8,000 of those in Northern Virginia (the west-side sprawl of Washington DC).

https://www.vdh.virginia.gov/coronavirus

15 days ago, it was 6,500 total. So that's almost 10,000 new cases in the last 15 days. There has been no suggestion of new cases diminishing. This did surprise me. I was really thinking after 30 days there would be signs of a decline. Unless there is a natural slow-down in Summer, it's difficult to fathom how cases will go down from this pace once things open up, especially if people start flying again.

It's also beginning to appear the original low-end projection of 100k by August 4 (obviously not the optimistic 60K Dr. Fauci said "could happen" a week later) is going to be eclipsed as well.

With the economies beginning to open, and I fully understand that urgency, we will have to depend on the average American to do their "civic duty" and be mindful about how they conduct themselves to help keep some level of mitigation in place in the coming months.

Quote Originally Posted by markwoll View Post
    It does concern me a little that people that work in giant meat plants don't get tested for several things on a regular basis.
    I suppose that's why so many recalls happen.
    Unfettered capitalism and greed.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    With the economies beginning to open, and I fully understand that urgency, we will have to depend on the average American to do their "civic duty" and be mindful about how they conduct themselves to help keep some level of mitigation in place in the coming months.
    Good luck with that. The average American is not something I want my health and that of my family to rely on.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by MYSTERIOUS TRAVELLER View Post
    There are at least 5 testing sites open in the county where I reside, with more sites opening over the coming days (including some Walgreens and CVS locations, administered by Abbott Labs). The closest one to my house is 7 miles away. It is open until 8 PM tonight. I'm not going because I don't have the symptoms (my detractors here should still keep a good thought, though). There is currently a to-date total of 236 reported cases of COVID 19, with 19 deaths. The county has an estimated population of 189,000 as of 2019, with 35% of the population being 65 years of age or over (highest in the US). There has been no "lock down" or strict shelter in place decree, with grocery stores, restaurants for pick-up/delivery, hardware stores, convenient stores, liquor stores, pet stores, gun stores, tobacco stores and such still open, with social distancing and capacity regulations enforced. The Governor of the state I live in has worked closely with the President, VP and task force throughout the crisis and has announced a data driven, scientifically approved process for reopening. People living here have acted quite responsibly for the most part, trying to help each other and supporting the Federal and State government officials in an effort to minimize COVID cases and deaths, in an aged but still active population.

15 days ago, it was 6,500 total. So that's almost 10,000 new cases in the last 15 days. There has been no suggestion of new cases diminishing. This did surprise me. I was really thinking after 30 days there would be signs of a decline. Unless there is a natural slow-down in Summer, it's difficult to fathom how cases will go down from this pace once things open up, especially if people start flying again.
    I've no doubt that number includes "probable" cases.

Good news: 'Remdesivir' has a positive effect on corona patients.

https://uniavisen.dk/en/promising-dr...rona-patients/

Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    There are at least 5 testing sites open in the county where I reside, with more sites opening over the coming days (including some Walgreens and CVS locations, administered by Abbott Labs). The closest one to my house is 7 miles away. It is open until 8 PM tonight. I'm not going because I don't have the symptoms (my detractors here should still keep a good thought, though). There is currently a to-date total of 236 reported cases of COVID 19, with 19 deaths. The county has an estimated population of 189,000 as of 2019, with 35% of the population being 65 years of age or over (highest in the US). There has been no "lock down" or strict shelter in place decree, with grocery stores, restaurants for pick-up/delivery, hardware stores, convenient stores, liquor stores, pet stores, gun stores, tobacco stores and such still open, with social distancing and capacity regulations enforced. The Governor of the state I live in has worked closely with the President, VP and task force throughout the crisis and has announced a data driven, scientifically approved process for reopening. People living here have acted quite responsibly for the most part, trying to help each other and supporting the Federal and State government officials in an effort to minimize COVID cases and deaths, in an aged but still active population.
    Odd, I was just talking to a friend who told me so many people were simply not practicing proper distancing, she was happy to get out and return to her place back north.

The federal guidelines suggested that states shouldn't begin reopening until they experience a decline in cases for 14 consecutive days. Florida's numbers aren't there yet. There's no science or data behind the reopening. Their curve has't even flattened. It defies the medical community's advice the federal government's own guidelines.

https://www.miamiherald.com/news/cor...242270081.html
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

^ That's smart people shit. Fuck that.

Did you see that freedom loving Americans almost took over the Michigan state house? Yeah, it's gonna come down, baby!

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by proggy_jazzer View Post
    Here in Iowa, of the total number of people tested, approximately 15% have tested positive for the virus. Since the tests are currently being administered almost exclusively to people showing symptoms, and we know that asymptomatic individuals can transmit the virus, it seems a virtual certainty to me that the actual number of infected people represents an even higher percentage of the population. So we're approaching (if not already there) one in five infected. Numbers are still rising, both of infected and deaths, yet there are many calling for the easing of restrictions, and it's clear from observation around town that there are many who are ignoring if not actively flouting social distancing. SMH

At the university where I work we're being told to prepare for three scenarios for the fall '20 semester: 1) a return to "normal"; 2) starting as "normal" and then re-quarantining; and 3) going 100% online. The third would be particularly disastrous for the School of Music, and would definitely put my job in jeopardy, but no matter which of the three happens there will be drastic changes, as the online genie has been released from its bottle and I don't think will ever go back. IMO, higher education as it has existed is over.
    I think you're right about the genie being out of the bottle, but my son is a Lit major and I've been able to see and hear a lot about his classes, and they're pretty rigorous. No less than in a classroom. Of course, the classes started in a classroom, so that makes a difference.

Once scenario at least one other college is considering is for school to resume in November, finish the first semester as quickly as is reasonably possible, and have the second semester continue into the summer as long as needed. Seems to make sense, but would still mean changes of course.

Highly Evolved Orangutan JKL2000's Avatar
    On the subject of businesses/projects with bad timing, a cafe opened where I live, in the Metro North train station. The woman who opened it has spent at least the past year (probably more) wrangling with Metro North to get permission to open the place, making all kinds of changes to place that were required, basically sinking a lot of time and money into it, and everyone was looking forward to it. It opened a few weeks before everything had to shut down. Hopefully she can somehow restart, but who knows?

There's a house behind ours sitting empty because people had just bought it (from us!), did some renovation, and were going to flip it. But NY state has stopped real estate showings, so they've missed the whole spring season and aren't even living in the house, but paying the high real estate taxes.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post

Did you see that freedom loving Americans almost took over the Michigan state house? Yeah, it's gonna come down, baby!
    Question: Rather than just "freedom loving Americans" couldn't it also be people who lost their jobs and has no insurance?
    What do I know about Michigan...

Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    Good luck with that. The average American is not something I want my health and that of my family to rely on.
    I prefer to look at the glass half full than half empty in this regard. I think it's reasonable to expect about 50% of the population to be mindful and practice the right thing. I expect there also will be about 30% of the remaining population to be driven by their work and put into situations they can't really avoid and/or in rural areas where they don't perceive the threat. It's the remaining 20% that either are indifferent or willingly defiant you have to worry about. But it's their actions that will be amplified as if it were a much larger problem than it actually is. 20% is still an uncomfortable number.

The federal guidelines suggested that states shouldn't begin reopening until they experience a decline in cases for 14 consecutive days. Florida's numbers aren't there yet. There's no science or data behind the reopening. Their curve has't even flattened. It defies the medical community's advice the federal government's own guidelines.
    It absolutely defies the formula. But I think there really is no choice but to begin to open up during the month of May for most of the country. Mitigation did occur, the spread was slowed, but it is somewhat shocking (to me anyway) that the vast majority of states aren't even on the downside of curve yet, or even a plateau. And part of the problem is delay in test reporting, which makes it difficult to measure if a positive test was from a test taken yesterday or 2 weeks ago.

But beyond May, the economic effects will begin to eclipse the health ones, and there will be long term collateral damage beyond what we are already are experiencing.

In a way, I prefer to see it as "winning a hard fought battle but at a great cost", but the war still remains. The victory is slowing the spread and getting people mindful of a new lifestyle after the country is opened up. That WILL have a lasting effect. The great unknown is just how persistent the virus will be.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Question: Rather than just "freedom loving Americans" couldn't it also be people who lost their jobs and has no insurance?
    That's fair. I think the demographic turnout would be different if it was people upset about losing their jobs. It would seem this is more of a coordinated effort, built on a false premise. Since every state was told to follow mitigation procedures recommended by the federal government, directing anger towards any governor for implementing them without directing that same anger towards the federal government is specious.

But it has to also be put in perspective. Reports say the number of people protesting were in the hundreds, coordinated by social media groups, but it gets national attention. What makes it worse are the handful of "militia", walking into the statehouse with semi-automatic rifles - which was apparently LEGAL btw. As disturbing an image as that is, it's important to point out that these guys did, apparently, peacefully protest within their rights and the law.

But I think many of us in America can only imagine how that reaction would change a group of young, armed African-American men marched into that same statehouse.

Quote Originally Posted by moecurlythanu View Post

These fools are getting far too much attention in the media. They are a super-small contingency. We're talking a couple hundred people out of millions in these states.

Quote Originally Posted by Zeuhlmate View Post
    Well, that's how they portray themselves, isn't it? Apparently, their freedoms, which are not being threatened by this, outweigh the health of everyone else. Considering they started their demonstrations only a couple of weeks into this, it's clear that they have no clue about sacrifice. These idiots can't see beyond the noses on their faces. And, guess what? They go to these rallies, stand too close to each other, don't wear masks and then go back home to spread it. Fucking clowns.

If they were really concerned about their freedoms... well, I don't want to get political.

I prefer to look at the glass half full than half empty in this regard. I think it's reasonable to expect about 50% of the population to be mindful and practice the right thing....It's the remaining 20% that either are indifferent or willingly defiant you have to worry about...
    Those small majorities won't stop this. It's not like, if some of us do it, the virus will slow down.

--

I've argued with others about the purpose of the social distancing and many have bought into the idea that "my state's death rate is no lower than the rates of those states that have put in these measures," which is misguided. The idea is to slow this down so the healthcare system doesn't break. And, yes, it will also save lives.

These fools are getting far too much attention in the media.
    Agreed. We live in an age where the fringe and atypical tends to be given equal weight to mainstream. And I mean that on almost all subjects, not just politics/current events.

I've argued with others about the purpose of the social distancing and many have bought into the idea that "my state's death rate is no lower than the rates of those states that have put in these measures," which is misguided. The idea is to slow this down so the healthcare system doesn't break. And, yes, it will also save lives.
    Agreed. But I think in the coming months there will be an after effect of mindfulness (and even fear) with a majority of the population whose actions will help slow the spread. And assuming we don't have stadium crowds and a limitation on intrastate and international travel, that will help - all in comparison to doing nothing of course.

I think an interesting aspect to see play out will be corporate responsibility (which I don't have much faith in) mixed with risk of legal liability and class action lawsuits in regards to keeping workers safe. Decisions made by medium/large companies will be important in the months to come.

Reports say the number of people protesting were in the hundreds, coordinated by social media groups, but it gets national attention. What makes it worse are the handful of "militia", walking into the statehouse with semi-automatic rifles - which was apparently LEGAL btw. As disturbing an image as that is, it's important to point out that these guys did, apparently, peacefully protest within their rights and the law.

But I think many of us in America can only imagine how that reaction would change a group of young, armed African-American men marched into that same statehouse.
    A05A431F-A657-42BE-87BE-E5012603B3D6.jpg
    C9C85F65-AF93-4122-9C73-7073AABE85FA.jpg

I mean, what could possibly go wrong?

Well, that's how they portray themselves, isn't it? Apparently, their freedoms, which are not being threatened by this, outweigh the health of everyone else. Considering they started their demonstrations only a couple of weeks into this, it's clear that they have no clue about sacrifice. These idiots can't see beyond the noses on their faces. And, guess what? They go to these rallies, stand too close to each other, don't wear masks and then go back home to spread it. Fucking clowns.
    ....And they will have ZERO qualms about calling 911 in the middle of the night when they can't fucking breath and demand medical attention. Although we live in NY, it puts people like my wife (RN) at risk because of their stupidity and the entire scenario makes me angrier than I could convey to you typing words.

Quote Originally Posted by Rye-Ergot View Post
    Hopefully their AR-15 accidentally goes off pointed at their ballsacks? That would be such a tragedy

I think it's reasonable to expect about 50% of the population to be mindful and practice the right thing. I expect there also will be about 30% of the remaining population to be driven by their work and put into situations they can't really avoid and/or in rural areas where they don't perceive the threat. It's the remaining 20% that either are indifferent or willingly defiant you have to worry about.
    I agree in general, but we can only hope that that 50% would be mindful and practice the right thing. I don't have that much faith in humanity, but I know I'll do my part. I think we'll see masked masses for a long time.
    E-A-T