Page 71 of 235 FirstFirst ... 216167686970717273747581121171 ... LastLast
Results 1,751 to 1,775 of 5872

Thread: COVID-19 Coronavirus Information and Discussion

Lucky Man
    Quote Originally Posted by 3LockBox View Post
    I think he was thinking of a blindfold
    And perhaps a last cigarette.
    Perhaps finding the happy medium is harder than we know.

Reactivation of a dormant virus is not an uncommon phenomenon.

Looking at S. Korea as an example, one can understand why most experts lean towards reactivation over reinfection:

Over the last few weeks, S. Korea’s new infections have slowed to a trickle (10-20 per day) and there are no known cases of uncontrolled public transmission at the moment.

Now, in a country of 50 million people with, say, on a given day, only 10 truly new infections being reported and 5 more with ‘reinfections’, what are the chances that those discharged patients A, B,C, D, and E, just happened to go out into the public and ... caught it again?

Those are struck-by-lightning odds.
    Last edited by Teddy Vengeance; 04-29-2020 at 02:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    All you need to know about Covid. :-)

Fantastic.Thanks for posting it.
    "please do not understand me too quickly"-andre gide

Nurses Quit En Masse From Russia’s Top Coronavirus Hospital: Reports

https://www.themoscowtimes.com/2020/...reports-a70115

Quote Originally Posted by Dana5140 View Post
    All you need to know about Covid. :-)
    Great, thanks !

Haaaa ha haaaaaaa.....

Banned
    You did address it and I admired your candor in a tough situation.

My point is this: Why continue to focus on things like the mask statements made by the VP and then have everyone follow up with criticisms in an attempt to make him look as bad as possible. What value does that bring to the overall discussion of what the COVID virus is doing to impact the PE community and how we can share ideas with each other on how to fight it and improve our chances to bounce back, both from a health aspect and, hopefully, economically. Instead of picking on specific targets for our "lightening up" exercises, how about more input on what the PE members are seeing on testing, re-openings, number of new cases, the education aspect that has been mentioned, and so on. I think that these important issues outweigh singling out specific targets for our criticism, over and over again.

^^ Well, it does serve people by pointing out the misinformation. I know some very smart people who are now sharing bogus information about the so-called "hoax," or misrepresenting the purpose of social distancing and, in turn, giving self-serving lunatics far too much exposure and false credibility.

And I think it's fair to call out influential government officials who are not following best practices for all the wrong reasons and, thereby, legitimizing such behavior. It's just plain wrong and needs to be called out. To reassert my point, they influence people. Even some here. So, stomp it out and move on, I say.

I do agree that our friend let his passion get the best of him to the point of relentlessness. But to suggest that the only purpose it served was to grind political axes is not quite right the way I see it.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by SunRunner2 View Post
    You did address it and I admired your candor in a tough situation.

My point is this: Why continue to focus on things like the mask statements made by the VP and then have everyone follow up with criticisms in an attempt to make him look as bad as possible. What value does that bring to the overall discussion of what the COVID virus is doing to impact the PE community and how we can share ideas with each other on how to fight it and improve our chances to bounce back, both from a health aspect and, hopefully, economically. Instead of picking on specific targets for our "lightening up" exercises, how about more input on what the PE members are seeing on testing, re-openings, number of new cases, the education aspect that has been mentioned, and so on. I think that these important issues outweigh singling out specific targets for our criticism, over and over again.
    To be fair I did not comment on all of that - I was actually poking fun at myself! If it came across otherwise then I'm sorry. Maybe my track record isn't the greatest, but that doesn't mean you have to assume the worst. I take it for granted that everyone here has good intentions.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by ronmac View Post
    ^^ Well, it does serve people by pointing out the misinformation. I know some very smart people who are now sharing bogus information about the so-called "hoax," or misrepresenting the purpose of social distancing and, in turn, giving self-serving lunatics far too much exposure and false credibility.

And I think it's fair to call out influential government officials who are not following best practices for all the wrong reasons and, thereby, legitimizing such behavior. It's just plain wrong and needs to be called out. To reassert my point, they influence people. Even some here. So, stomp it out and move on, I say.
    Well stated, and the only side bar issue that I would address concerns the part that I added emphasis to, above. There's not a very good "moving on" from selected, favorite targets to "calling out" of other targets, at least in the past posting on this thread. I think that some posters like to rile others by continually picking on certain officials to the point where we lose the cautionary statement made in Post#1, by Poisoned Youth: As it is a hot topic that can foster strong feelings, this thread will be closely monitored. Please be respectful towards your fellow PE members when discussing this topic.

Go outside and get some sun, people! Staying inside all the time isn't good for your immune system.

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Go outside and get some sun, people! Staying inside all the time isn't good for your immune system.

I think that I will take your sagacious advice and do just that. The lawn needs mowing, so duty calls.

Well stated, and the only side bar issue that I would address concerns the part that I added emphasis to, above. There's not a very good "moving on" from selected, favorite targets to "calling out" of other targets, at least in the past posting on this thread. I think that some posters like to rile others by continually picking on certain officials to the point where we lose the cautionary statement made in Post#1, by Poisoned Youth: As it is a hot topic that can foster strong feelings, this thread will be closely monitored. Please be respectful towards your fellow PE members when discussing this topic.
    I think it's more about trying to win people over to their side than it is about being malicious. That's how I see it, at least.

Then there are those who are hyper-sensitive and take it all as a personal attack.

And, of course, that's not to say it hasn't been getting personal.

For the record, I am not both-sidering.
    "The White Zone is for loading and unloading only. If you got to load or unload go to the White Zone!"

I think that I will take your sagacious advice and do just that. The lawn needs mowing, so duty calls.
    I did mine Sunday morning! I love waking up the neighbors with that racket after they've been up late the night before playing sh%tty music.

Quote Originally Posted by dropforge View Post
    Not to mention you could acquire seasonal affective disorder in mid to late spring.
    "Well my son, life is like a beanstalk, isn't it?"--Dalai Lama

Quote Originally Posted by chalkpie View Post
    Thanks Dunc, Cozy Powell, and Sean...I appreciate you guys being tolerant because this thread is actually useful for me personally. Stay safe brother.
    Thanks. TBH, I took a bit of a break because I do enough babysitting in my work life. But unlike work, here it's babysitting 60 year olds (give or take), which is generally an exercise in futility.

My point is this: Why continue to focus on things like the mask statements made by the VP and then have everyone follow up with criticisms in an attempt to make him look as bad as possible.
    Instead of picking on specific targets for our "lightening up" exercises, how about more input on what the PE members are seeing on testing, re-openings, number of new cases, the education aspect that has been mentioned, and so on. I think that these important issues outweigh singling out specific targets for our criticism, over and over again.
    It is natural that daily events will come up in this thread, especially visible actions by leadership. While we don't have to dwell on them, I think it's fair (within this context) to be concerned that our VP is not wearing a mask. Don't you? And I'm a little more concerned, honestly, that one would focus more on the fact that is was brought up "to make him look bad" than the action itself. Bringing up Pence (in this context for this thread) could be considered appropriate. Calling him a "big poopy head, moron dickface" at every turn, or saying purposely clunky "technically I didn't say it(s)" like "the dufus in charge" is definitely not.

I also can usually tell the difference when posters take personal affront at what is posted vs. show a genuine concern for what another poster says. Forget politics. Just go to other threads on this site. When someone feels as if their personal taste is being challenged, a defense mechanism kicks in and they conflate a person's opinion on an album/artist they don't like with an attack on their personal tastes. Sometimes the people who ask us to remove posts have an agenda as well. Their issue tends not be "keep politics out, period.", it's only pointed out when it's an "attack" on their political affiliation. I've seen both sides of it.

The problem that occurred is that one thread "ringleader" was allowed to use this (originally) well intended thread as a bully pulpit for their political campaigning and it now has a life of its own. This thread is not PE's finest moment.
    For the record, the VAST majority of the posts I have removed in this thread (and that has been quite a few) have been directed towards criticisms of the man at the top. I have kept some of them (mostly the less petty ones) because, honestly, he's in charge. He is naturally going to be under a microscope given the situation. That should be understood.

But "not PE's finest moment"? Give me a break. Fortunately we have your sophisticated opinions in the Miley Cyrus thread to class up the joint.
    WANTED: Sig-worthy quote.

Quote Originally Posted by progmatist View Post
    Not to mention you could acquire seasonal affective disorder in mid to late spring.
    Never heard of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Poisoned Youth View Post
    Miley Cyrus thread
    R U guys posting pix!!??

All Things Must Pass spellbound's Avatar
    Pseudoscience and COVID-19 — we’ve had enough already
    The scientific community must take up cudgels in the battle against bunk.
    We're trying to build a monument to show that we were here
    It won't be visible through the air
    And there won't be any shade to cool the monument to prove that we were here. - Gene Parsons, 1973

Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Thank you for posting this article. I found it interesting and informative (and apolitical).

Banned
    To Poisoned Youth - Re: Post 1769

Thank you for taking the time to lucidly outline the policy and your views on the oversight for this and other threads, that sometimes become contentious.

funding terminated for a years-long research project in China that many experts say is vital to preventing the next major coronavirus outbreak.
    https://www.npr.org/sections/goatsan...and-coronaviru

In my home country of Canada, regulators are currently cracking down on providers such as chiropractors, naturopaths, herbalists and holistic healers who are marketing products against COVID-19. But the idea that a spinal adjustment, intravenous vitamin therapy or homeopathy could fend off an infectious disease was nonsense before the pandemic.
    I'm a chiropractor helping to crack down on chiropractors making claims about Covid. Here is my boss and my research director, who reports to me:

Bill Morgan is a former Marine medic, chiropractor and the first chiropractor to ever hold an appointment to the Bethesda National Naval Med Center in DC. He has treated senators and presidents, among others. He is president of Parker University. Katie Pohlman is my former grad student from my days at Palmer College of Chiropractic, and now she works for me as Research Director at Parker, where I am Associate Provost of Education and Research. Katie was awarded our highest research honor for her work in pediatric adverse event surveillance, which was the focus of her PhD. She also has a master's degree in clinical research along with her DC degree and a specialty certification in pediatrics. (She also has 4 kids and just turned 40!). We worked out this video clip to properly counter some of the claims we saw being made. Given I teach Evidence-based clinical practice, and Parker is very progressive, this was important.

The vast majority of chiropractors I know are working hard to deliver care in very carefully controlled environments (we touch people and put them on tables- all have to be cleaned every time, gloves needed, etc.), and to help first-line healthcare providers where possible, i.e. testing. So we tried to place context about what DCs do and what they cannot do or claim.
    I'm not lazy. I just work so fast I'm always done.

Quote Originally Posted by spellbound View Post
    Agreed. But I hope that it doesn't backfire horribly.

People want to believe, and lots of what they want to believe is bunk - comforting bunk, but still bunk. And your typical snake-oil salesman, your typical buncombe merchant has a whole lot more people-skills, a whole lot more ability to sell his stuff to the public, than your typical scientist. Especially if that salesman believes his own nonsense, which many do. By standing up for hard facts, the scientific community may get themselves in even worse odor with the public than they are now: They already must contend with popular beliefs, like the widespread one that The Great Scientific Conspiracy™ invented the Fake News™ of anthropogenic climate change, to bring about World Communism™; or with religious objections to settled, proven biological facts. Raining on every popular parade about CV will get them thoroughly disliked, and it may get them powerful enemies with fanatical followers as well.

(I hope this isn't too political. But it's so damn hard not to be, even though I make a point of not naming anyone. Even just referring to ideas may still be too much.)
    Last edited by Baribrotzer; 04-30-2020 at 01:32 PM.